Options

Abortion-Keep Legal, Yes or No?

Comments

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    I know I am one of the few around here to agree with heavy abortion restrictions, so I am not really a fan of posting here, so instead I come with a question. Apologies if it’s ignorant. The topic of pregnancies from rape is always one of the first things around abortion restrictions that people bring up. Rape is horrific and it’s one of the only things that makes me question my stance on this topic. 

In the case of a rape though, wouldn’t pregnancy be something the victim is seriously worried about to begin with after it happens? Why aren’t they consistently taking pregnancy tests each week or so after it happens? Then the 6 week limit doesn’t seem so crazy or as surprising of a timeline to accept since tests can detect as early as 10 days after conception, correct? 

The trauma? Finances? Age of victims perhaps?
    All those things.. but the question is why put that arbitrary six weeks as a deadline?  Clearly this law is intended to eliminate 90% of abortions without technically running afoul of Roe.  6 weeks is one missed period plus two weeks? The stress and trauma from rape,  let alone normal life,  can cause a woman to miss her period. 
    Plan B, the morning after pill, can be used the next day after unprotected sex…..if you’re raped call the police and go directly to the hospital and ask for plan B or if it was just an accident with your partner then you can get it in a drug store.  I would recommend no girl/woman whose been raped do anything other than call the police and go to the hospital immediately after the act.  Have the hospital give you the pill and have it documented by nurse/physician. 
    Interesting point. Can the hospital give plan B if requested? Is it encouraged or mentioned after rape and disclosing? Or is it up to the victim to think about after they leave to pick up? 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631
    mrussel1 said:
    I know I am one of the few around here to agree with heavy abortion restrictions, so I am not really a fan of posting here, so instead I come with a question. Apologies if it’s ignorant. The topic of pregnancies from rape is always one of the first things around abortion restrictions that people bring up. Rape is horrific and it’s one of the only things that makes me question my stance on this topic. 

In the case of a rape though, wouldn’t pregnancy be something the victim is seriously worried about to begin with after it happens? Why aren’t they consistently taking pregnancy tests each week or so after it happens? Then the 6 week limit doesn’t seem so crazy or as surprising of a timeline to accept since tests can detect as early as 10 days after conception, correct? 

All those things.. but the question is why put that arbitrary six weeks as a deadline?  Clearly this law is intended to eliminate 90% of abortions without technically running afoul of Roe.  6 weeks is one missed period plus two weeks? The stress and trauma from rape,  let alone normal life,  can cause a woman to miss her period. 
    I mean there has to be restrictions around abortion of some sort don’t you think? It might be arbitrary, but so are a lot of rules/laws. But then it comes back to when does life begin which is a topic that will never have an agreement. 
    Sure, but why six weeks? Late term abortion bans are common and accepted.  Six weeks is ridiculously soon to know,  and decide.  If one believes life begins at conception,  then six weeks is abhorrent as well. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Plan B, the morning after pill, can be used the next day after unprotected sex…..if you’re raped call the police and go directly to the hospital and ask for plan B or if it was just an accident with your partner then you can get it in a drug store.  I would recommend no girl/woman whose been raped do anything other than call the police and go to the hospital immediately after the act.  Have the hospital give you the pill and have it documented by nurse/physician. 
    All these things... again... but it puts an immediate burden on the woman,  one with an exceedingly short window to know,  decide and act. 
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,391
    edited September 2021
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I mean there has to be restrictions around abortion of some sort don’t you think? It might be arbitrary, but so are a lot of rules/laws. But then it comes back to when does life begin which is a topic that will never have an agreement. 
    Sure, but why six weeks? Late term abortion bans are common and accepted.  Six weeks is ridiculously soon to know,  and decide.  If one believes life begins at conception,  then six weeks is abhorrent as well. 
    Im curious what your suggestion on timeline is then? 

Edit - also, do you think situations matter in the length of time allotted? Pregnancy as result of rape vs consensual?
    Post edited by drakeheuer14 on
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Im curious what your suggestion on timeline is then? 
    Late term is considered 21 weeks,  typically.  At that point,  with the miracle of science, a child may survive out of the womb ( although very unlikely.... but possible). I believe late term should only be a allowed to protect the mother.  That's where I would draw it.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

this is a great point. it makes it all the more nonsensical, and obviously means it's as close to a full out ban as one can get under the constitution. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited September 2021
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

this is a great point. it makes it all the more nonsensical, and obviously means it's as close to a full out ban as one can get under the constitution. 
    And that is the point.  If they can't eliminate,  then reduce.  It's really no different than gun control advocates.  Although 2/3 of abortions happen in the first 8 weeks,  from data I've seen.  I think almost all happen by 12 or so.  But I bet few happen by week 6.  
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,967
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

All these things... again... but it puts an immediate burden on the woman,  one with an exceedingly short window to know,  decide and act. 
    It does (burden) but it’s up to parents to have open honest serious conversations that include how to immediately deal with these situations. 
    Unfortunately if you want the person responsible caught you have to react as I said. And more unfortunate is that it happens all the time.  You’ve got to be upfront with you’re children. Crazy shit happens everyday 
  • Options
    Is Texas providing funding for the medical and psychological care of the women/girls who are raped forced to carry an unwanted child to term?
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

It does (burden) but it’s up to parents to have open honest serious conversations that include how to immediately deal with these situations. 
    Unfortunately if you want the person responsible caught you have to react as I said. And more unfortunate is that it happens all the time.  You’ve got to be upfront with you’re children. Crazy shit happens everyday 
    In the real world,  there are parents who are neglectful and parents who don't provide information due to religious beliefs. They cannot be a necessary part of the equation for a young lady or woman to receive quality advice and treatment. 
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Is Texas providing funding for the medical and psychological care of the women/girls who are raped forced to carry an unwanted child to term?
    Great question. 
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,779
    mrussel1 said:

heartbeat detected at 6 weeks sure, but can the fetus survive outside the womb?

that doesnt usually happen until the lungs have developed. at at least 20 weeks.....

and God breathed life into Adam.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    Great question. 
    I think you know the answer to that question.
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:

that doesnt usually happen until the lungs have developed. at at least 20 weeks.....

I mean grown adults can’t survive without certain devices - but we don’t just cut their life off because they rely on something/someone to survive. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:

I mean grown adults can’t survive without certain devices - but we don’t just cut their life off because they rely on something/someone to survive. 
    A woman's body is not a 'device'. 
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:

honest question (and this isn't a "trap", just yes or no and that's it)

do you feel the rights of the fetus outweigh the rights of the host?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,391
    edited September 2021
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:

I don’t think it’s that simple. Equal rights until the scales are tilted harming the host is where I am at. 

Since I view them as two separate beings, equal is the only answer most of the time. 
    Post edited by drakeheuer14 on
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:

A woman's body is not a 'device'. 
    That’s why I said something or someone at the end. Just because someone needs support, doesn’t mean we should just cut off the right to develop or live. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:

I don’t think it’s that simple. Equal rights until the scales are tilted harming the host is where I am at. 
    Under that theory, you cannot support abortion no matter the length of the term. 
  • Options
    Packing the courts is loser mentality 
  • Options
    Hi Torrey. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:

Under that theory, you cannot support abortion no matter the length of the term. 
    Well, you are right. I don’t “support” it. 

I understand the position of those with opposing views and situations though. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,779
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:

should have included with or without medical intervention.

even still that heartbeat is mother driven. its not happening on its own...
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    says the guy who supported the biggest loser of all time. LOL
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Looked up what a fetus looks like at 6 weeks.

Texas law is barbaric.
  • Options
    I believe the saying is "to the WINNER go the spoils". 

the WINNER gets to choose how this goes. 

the LOSER is still peddling his fantasy all over fox and newsmax about how he won the election. hahaha. 

maybe a mid-day surf would brighten your spirits?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,967
    edited September 2021
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:

Since I view them as two separate beings, equal is the only answer most of the time. 
    So if a 13 year old is raped by her Father...becomes pregnant, but doesn't say anything out of fear, you are ok with the government forcing her to give birth to a rape baby? (if beyond the six week period being discussed here)
    Post edited by Gern Blansten on
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:

Well, you are right. I don’t “support” it. 

I understand the position of those with opposing views and situations though. 
    I think Bill Clinton said it perfectly when he said abortion should be safe and rare.  If we are going to ban it (or almost, like this law does) then we damned better be ready to create a massive new support network and welfare state for all of the mothers who don't want to be mothers and all of the children that will be abandoned to the state.  

Second, if you ever read the book Freakonomics, there was a compelling case that was made how the drop in the crime in the 90s and forward was tied directly to the federal legalization of abortion.  Unwanted children are not successful in life.