Options

Baseball Hall of Fame 2018

Comments

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Home runs aside, Sammy Sosa an Mark McGwire should be in for the simple fact that they saved baseball in the 90s.
    I remember watching pearl jam on stage in east rutherford, nj in '98 and that moment ed heard that mcgwire has broken the record...such a cool moment.
    I watched it on ESPN.  What a run he had leading up to it.  He and Sosa were tit for tat every day it seemed like.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419
    mcgruff10 said:
    Home runs aside, Sammy Sosa an Mark McGwire should be in for the simple fact that they saved baseball in the 90s.
    I remember watching pearl jam on stage in east rutherford, nj in '98 and that moment ed heard that mcgwire has broken the record...such a cool moment.
    And he hit it against the Cubs, too.  What better way than to have both men on the field when it happened. I remember watching the game when it happened. Sammy hesitated for a moment, but ran in to greet Big Mac at home plate.  That was such a cool race. I kinda figured McGwire would get there first, but Sosa pulled close and had a chance.
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    mcgruff10 said:
    And he hit it against the Cubs, too.  What better way than to have both men on the field when it happened. I remember watching the game when it happened. Sammy hesitated for a moment, but ran in to greet Big Mac at home plate.  That was such a cool race. I kinda figured McGwire would get there first, but Sosa pulled close and had a chance.
    I remember thinking at the time, "what a cheap homerun," but fuck that was still one hell of a summer. Sosa looked like a scared kid going up to McGuire after he broke the record. I loved it. And so did America. Most fans are hypocrites that say they weren't caught up in it knowing full well that they ALL were juiced. 

Bottom line, if you hit 600 homeruns, you're a hall of famer.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    I remember thinking at the time, "what a cheap homerun," but fuck that was still one hell of a summer. Sosa looked like a scared kid going up to McGuire after he broke the record. I loved it. And so did America. Most fans are hypocrites that say they weren't caught up in it knowing full well that they ALL were juiced. 

Sammy Sosa did something that I will never forget and it's tattooed in my brain.

When baseball finally came back after the 9/11 attacks he came running on the field with a tiny american flag held up in the air.  The crowd went nuts.  

He then hit a homer and ran the bases with the flag too.

Very powerful moment in time.
    https://247sports.com/Bolt/Watch-Relive-Sammy-Sosas-emotional-911-tribute-at-Cubs-game-107310723
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,434
    Sosa also used a corked bat
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

Sammy Sosa did something that I will never forget and it's tattooed in my brain.

When baseball finally came back after the 9/11 attacks he came running on the field with a tiny american flag held up in the air.  The crowd went nuts.  

He then hit a homer and ran the bases with the flag too.

Very powerful moment in time.
    https://247sports.com/Bolt/Watch-Relive-Sammy-Sosas-emotional-911-tribute-at-Cubs-game-107310723
    "And he's got Old Glory, too!"  I'll never forget that call!

One of the coolest moments I've ever seen.
  • Options
    PRL1JAMPRL1JAM Posts: 782
    igotid88 said:
    I was just listening to the 2003 Vegas PJ boot and Ed mentions something in regards to Sammy Sosa getting caught using a corked bat. Apparently that Vegas 2003 show was just days after Sosa got caught using the corked bat. That time his bat exploded with cork couldn't have been the first time he used that bat, it was just the first time he got caught. So this 600 HR is a HOF lock is a joke when it comes to this guy
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,501
    PRL1JAM said:
    igotid88 said:
    I was just listening to the 2003 Vegas PJ boot and Ed mentions something in regards to Sammy Sosa getting caught using a corked bat. Apparently that Vegas 2003 show was just days after Sosa got caught using the corked bat. That time his bat exploded with cork couldn't have been the first time he used that bat, it was just the first time he got caught. So this 600 HR is a HOF lock is a joke when it comes to this guy

yeah, I was there. I booed loudly. fuck sammy sosa.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    PRL1JAM said:
    igotid88 said:
    "The league tested 76 of Sosa’s bats right after the incident, including five of his bats on display at the HOF…not a single shred of cork appeared."

You guys are just salty.
  • Options
    Anybody going to the Jack White show at omnegang?  If so want to do a BBHOF trip too?
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    The league was still sweeping stuff under the rug at thet point. Wouldn’t put much stock in the investigation.
  • Options
    Now you're just saying things to fit the argument.
  • Options
    Fair enough, but what are the chances they was the only corked bst

How about he just wasn’t good enough to be in the HoF.
  • Options
    DewieCox said:

Again, Sosa was a 30/30 guy before he started juicing.  During that time that was huge.
  • Options
    DewieCox said:

Why wouldn't it be his only corked bat? Sosa said it was a batting practice bat he used during pregame cage hitting for the fans. All of his bats were checked and cleared. It just seems like you are arguing just to argue. Tempo and groove makes a valid point. Sosa was a 30/30 guy before be juiced. Assuming he continued that pace for 10 years, he wouldn't have 600 homeruns, but could still have hall of fame type numbers. 
  • Options
    30/30 makes him a hall of famer? So Canseco should be in too for doing 40/40?
  • Options
    you telling me the one time Sosa's bat shatters is the one and only time he used that bat? In other words, he never once used a cork bat, he reluctantly decides to try it one day. The day he tries it, the bat just happens to shatter. He never used one before, and he never used one after that. Sure thing. Thanks for the laugh
  • Options
    there can't possibly be individuals in here who think Sosa should be in the Hall but not Bonds, right? I keep hearing the argument in regards to Sammy being good before he juiced. Well so was Bonds, and Barry and Sammy should never even be compared as far as talent goes. So I don't mind those who are proponents of Sosa. But hopefully there isn't anyone ignorant enough to say Sammy should be in, but they don't think Barry deserves it. Especially if their main argument is, "he was good before he touched the juice".  
  • Options
    PRL1JAM said:
    Cmon really?!?

he was doing it for multiple seasons before juicing so if he maintained that pace he would have good enough numbers to enter the hall. 
  • Options
    PRL1JAM said:
    Cmon really?!?

he was doing it for multiple seasons before juicing so if he maintained that pace he would have good enough numbers to enter the h

Fair enough. I just want to know if you feel the same way about ALL the players who were good before they supposedly juiced. Guys like Bonds, Clemens, Arod, etc. Since they had Hall of Fame numbers prior to the roids, do you think they should get in, too? I ask because I actually do think Bonds, Clemens, and Arod deserve to get in someday. 
  • Options
    PRL1JAM said:
    PRL1JAM said:
    Cmon really?!?

he was doing it for multiple seasons before juicing so if he maintained that pace he would have good enough numbers to enter the h

Fair enough. I just want to know if you feel the same way about ALL the players who were good before they supposedly juiced. Guys like Bonds, Clemens, Arod, etc. Since they had Hall of Fame numbers prior to the roids, do you think they should get in, too? I ask because I actually do think Bonds, Clemens, and Arod deserve to get in someday. 
    Two best pure hitters I've seen were Bonds and Arod. They should get in. 
    Palmiero should get in, Clemens too. 
  • Options
    PRL1JAM said:
    PRL1JAM said:
    Cmon really?!?

PRL1JAM said:
    PRL1JAM said:
    Cmon really?!?

I agree with you 100%
  • Options
    A 30/30 outfielder with 0 Gold Gloves that didn’t sniff 3000 hits shouldn’t be in then HoF. The one legit argument is that he helped bring baseball back while the league looked the other way and the dude can’t even show one bit of contrition. 

Bonds is a freaking lock as far as I’m concerned. The type of player you waive the 5year wait for.

Palmeiro I could take or leave. Probably would be in after a few extra years on the ballot, but a few homers turning to pop outs and a dl stint here and there and he probably doesn’t have the 500/3000.
  • Options
    PRL1JAM said:
    you telling me the one time Sosa's bat shatters is the one and only time he used that bat? In other words, he never once used a cork bat, he reluctantly decides to try it one day. The day he tries it, the bat just happens to shatter. He never used one before, and he never used one after that. Sure thing. Thanks for the laugh
    Except it wasn’t the one and only time he used it. He openly admitted to using it in batting practice to put on a show for the fans. He admitted to grabbing the wrong one when he went to the plate. With that and the fact that none of his other 76 bats had a single trace of cork, I’ll side on Sammy’s favor on that one. 

Regardless, his numbers should get him in. Steroids or not, why punish any of those players now for what the league turned a blind eye to while they played?

Sosa fell one HR short on 2002 of doing something no other player on history has ever done. Not McGwire, not Bonds, not Griffey, not ARod, not Ruth, Mantle, or Mays. And that is hit 50 HR in 5 consecutive seasons. One HR shy. 

He is the only player in history to hit 60 HR in 3 seasons (oddly enough, never leading the league in those 3 years) and only one of three players since 1900 to eclipse 160 RBI in a single season. He was the first Cub to ever join the 30-30 Club. His 416 total bases in ‘98 were the most by any player in 50 years, and he eclipsed that number again in ‘01. 

He was a 7-time all star, won 6 Silver Sluggers, an MVP, and also won an Aaron and a Clemente award. He hit a HR against every single MLB team, with his 600th coming against the Cubs, and is the Cubs all-time HR leader. 

He belongs in the Hall.
  • Options
    PRL1JAM said:
    Reluctantly uses it? He mistakenly used it. All of his other bats were examined and cleared. 
  • Options
    PRL1JAM said:
    Except it wasn’t the one and only time he used it. He openly admitted to using it in batting practice to put on a show for the fans. He admitted to grabbing the wrong one when he went to the plate. With that and the fact that none of his other 76 bats had a single trace of cork, I’ll side on Sammy’s favor on that one. 

Regardless, his numbers should get him in. Steroids or not, why punish any of those players now for what the league turned a blind eye to while they played?

Sosa fell one HR short on 2002 of doing something no other player on history has ever done. Not McGwire, not Bonds, not Griffey, not ARod, not Ruth, Mantle, or Mays. And that is hit 50 HR in 5 consecutive seasons. One HR shy. 

He is the only player in history to hit 60 HR in 3 seasons (oddly enough, never leading the league in those 3 years) and only one of three players since 1900 to eclipse 160 RBI in a single season. He was the first Cub to ever join the 30-30 Club. His 416 total bases in ‘98 were the most by any player in 50 years, and he eclipsed that number again in ‘01. 

He was a 7-time all star, won 6 Silver Sluggers, an MVP, and also won an Aaron and a Clemente award. He hit a HR against every single MLB team, with his 600th coming against the Cubs, and is the Cubs all-time HR leader. 

He belongs in the Hall.
    Put on a show for fans? LOL....Sure Sammy. 

I agree with your second point. 

The rest....it’s tied directly to his steroid use. He has nothing to hang his hat on without the juice. Fine player otherwise but not really all that close to a Hall-worthy career.

He looks weird.
  • Options
    DewieCox said:
    Put on a show for fans? LOL....Sure Sammy. 

I agree with your second point. 

The rest....it’s tied directly to his steroid use. He has nothing to hang his hat on without the juice. Fine player otherwise but not really all that close to a Hall-worthy career.

He looks weird.
    Hard to deny the evidence that agrees with what he said. 76 bats, no cork.

So what if the rest is tied to steroid use? Again, you can't punish the player for what the league ok'd. His numbers speak for themselves.  I'll never understand why everyone takes such a hard anti-steroid stance when it was allowed to go on. Especially these prick BBWAA idiots who act all high and mighty when it comes to HOF voting.  So what it Bonds juiced, if Sosa juiced, if McGwire or Arod did?  So was everyone. The playing field was even.  Some juicers were just a hell of a lot better than others.  Same goes for Lance Armstrong.  Why strip all his titles away for doping when everyone he was racing against was doping, too?  Our doper beat their dopers 7 years straight. Sounds fair to me.

He does look weird now, but what does that have to do with anything?
  • Options
    Most of the "fans" that left baseball were brought back in by the home run race in 98. And they're typically the same people that are now bashing the juicers. 
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Well, he has trouble admitting wrongdoing even when it’s apparent he’s only fooling himself. There was plenty of time to get rid of the evidence.

All of his accomplishments that would lead directly to the Hall are bogus. He wasn’t on track to put up the numbers to get in. He was a good player but he never did one thing to indicate he could be a HoF level player before he started juicing. Seriously, not one hall worthy accomplishment. Sosa was never Arod or Bonds or even McGwire or Palmeiro. 

His HoF bust would be unrecognizable.
    Post edited by DewieCox on