I don't believe in God

Comments

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    RYME said:
    Down here in the USA I can deal with pretty much any of the water beers.
    I like Coors, Budweiser and Miller.
    I like pretty much every craft/micro brews I've ever tried except for the sweet ones that taste like hard maple syrup don't like those to much.
    But my favorite beer of all time comes from Lithuania better known buy Lithuanians as Lietuva.
    Svturys is my favorite Beer of all time.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Švyturys
    Hugh freaking Dillon had the Concept of God thread going for a while & I poured a lot of energy into that thread so I'm spent as far as that goes., but I can talk about beer.
    I believe that beer, wine, and burbon is all the proof you need that there is a God.
    He knew that life was going to be a challenge so, He allowed mankind to come up with a variety of drinks, beer, wine, or burbon, maybe even a little herb because he wanted us to be happy.
    Cheers!!
    Sweetgrass!  I like booze, but Heaven's Lettuce is better, and it grows free for the pleasure of man wherever it's allowed.

If anything could make me believe in God it would be the curve of that perfect ass and the sweet sweet stinky cannabis.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    RYME said:
    RYME said:
    Down here in the USA I can deal with pretty much any of the water beers.
    I like Coors, Budweiser and Miller.
    I like pretty much every craft/micro brews I've ever tried except for the sweet ones that taste like hard maple syrup don't like those to much.
    But my favorite beer of all time comes from Lithuania better known buy Lithuanians as Lietuva.
    Svturys is my favorite Beer of all time.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Švyturys
    Hugh freaking Dillon had the Concept of God thread going for a while & I poured a lot of energy into that thread so I'm spent as far as that goes., but I can talk about beer.
    I believe that beer, wine, and burbon is all the proof you need that there is a God.
    He knew that life was going to be a challenge so, He allowed mankind to come up with a variety of drinks, beer, wine, or burbon, maybe even a little herb because he wanted us to be happy.
    Cheers!!
    Fuck it, I'll change the title to BEER
    I was trying to go Light, or Lite here depending on which beer you prefer.
    I wasn't trying to make a shithole out of your thread.   =)
    If you want to know how much I love our Lord & Savior & about how Real God is to me, read Hugh freaking Dillon's thread Concept of God.  I put up a lot of good information there if you are undecided or skeptical.  I just didn't want to spell it all out again here.
    Lol. I didn't take it as you making a shithole out of the thread. I'd rather talk about beer anyway. 
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    Well my step father (truly a great man) passed away this morning. So I don’t know what is real and what isn’t but I sure hope his and my mom’s faith is what is reality. I sure hope there is more than this simple life. And if there isn’t, I’m happy I got to have him as my step dad from high school on.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    Well my step father (truly a great man) passed away this morning. So I don’t know what is real and what isn’t but I sure hope his and my mom’s faith is what is reality. I sure hope there is more than this simple life. And if there isn’t, I’m happy I got to have him as my step dad from high school on..
  • Well my step father (truly a great man) passed away this morning. So I don’t know what is real and what isn’t but I sure hope his and my mom’s faith is what is reality. I sure hope there is more than this simple life. And if there isn’t, I’m happy I got to have him as my step dad from high school on.

Sorry to hear this.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Well my step father (truly a great man) passed away this morning. So I don’t know what is real and what isn’t but I sure hope his and my mom’s faith is what is reality. I sure hope there is more than this simple life. And if there isn’t, I’m happy I got to have him as my step dad from high school on.
    I am sorry for your loss. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821

We're all just speculating, based on our own beliefs, but you know that you had years to enjoy life with him as your step dad and you will have those memories always. Peace to you and your family. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    My condolences on your loss ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    I just can’t believe in a supreme being looking over all of us I’m hanging my hat on Mother Earth Nature ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    RYME said:
    Well my step father (truly a great man) passed away this morning. So I don’t know what is real and what isn’t but I sure hope his and my mom’s faith is what is reality. I sure hope there is more than this simple life. And if there isn’t, I’m happy I got to have him as my step dad from high school on..

Hey Cincybearcat,
    I'm sorry for your loss. 
    I've got good news for you.  Your stepfather is not gone.  Some people are going to disagree with me here and that's fine.  Be that as it may.
    I like to direct people to Ecclesiastes chapter 12 when they lose a loved one. The first 5 verses pertain to the aging process the .(the eyes go bad, become hard of hearing, passions run low) Versus 6 and & 7 have to do with the passing on process.  When we die, our flesh body goes back to dirt.  Don't need it anymore. 
    Our Spirit bodies do not age.  Spirit bodies are in corruptible meaning they don't get sick they don't age & they don't get old and break down like we do when we're in the flesh.  So when the flesh body dies,
    Your spirit/soul goes back to the Father who gave it.  So if you have other friends or relatives loved ones who have passed on, it's nice to know that they're not out here in a cold hole in the ground they are with God the Father.  This is not a fairytale.  Heaven is a parallel Dimension that we cannot see when we are in the flesh.  So it is good to know that they are not gone and that when you pass on you will surely see them again.  Ecclesiastes vs 1-5 pertain to the aging process, 6 and 7 is about anyone doesn't matter what age passing on.  (When the silver cord is loosed). (That's referring to your soul)
    So he just passed on this morning that means you'll probably have a visitation and a funeral in the coming days.  Let it be a time to celebrate his life and remember what he meant to you.  It is completely normal and good to mourn.  But knowing where he is and that you will see him again should be comforting to you.
    So go in peace Cincinnati Bearcat.  Read this here Ecclesiastes chapter 12 I hope it helps you.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Ecclesiastes+12&version=KJV
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited January 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    i am a man of science. belief in god and belief in science cannot co-exist in my brain. 
    I am catholic and absolutely believe in science.  I look at myself as a very liberal catholic, meaning I am pro-choice, pro-gay marriage, women should be way more involved with the church, priests and nuns should marry, the bible is a book of stories and not fact, etc.  So both science and god co-exist in my head rather nicely.
    So what exactly makes you Catholic? Serious question. It seems like most of your beliefs are anti-Catholic, so I don't really get how you consider yourself to be such. :confused:
    EDIT: never mind, I see rgambs already asked and it was already answered - you're not Catholic after all. :) 
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Oh no, I'm so sorry cincy. :frowning: All the best to you and your family.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    RYME said:
    RYME said:

Hey Cincybearcat,
    I'm sorry for your loss. 
    I've got good news for you.  Your stepfather is not gone.  Some people are going to disagree with me here and that's fine.  Be that as it may.
    I like to direct people to Ecclesiastes chapter 12 when they lose a loved one. The first 5 verses pertain to the aging process the .(the eyes go bad, become hard of hearing, passions run low) Versus 6 and & 7 have to do with the passing on process.  When we die, our flesh body goes back to dirt.  Don't need it anymore. 
    Our Spirit bodies do not age.  Spirit bodies are in corruptible meaning they don't get sick they don't age & they don't get old and break down like we do when we're in the flesh.  So when the flesh body dies,
    Your spirit/soul goes back to the Father who gave it.  So if you have other friends or relatives loved ones who have passed on, it's nice to know that they're not out here in a cold hole in the ground they are with God the Father.  This is not a fairytale.  Heaven is a parallel Dimension that we cannot see when we are in the flesh.  So it is good to know that they are not gone and that when you pass on you will surely see them again.  Ecclesiastes vs 1-5 pertain to the aging process, 6 and 7 is about anyone doesn't matter what age passing on.  (When the silver cord is loosed). (That's referring to your soul)
    So he just passed on this morning that means you'll probably have a visitation and a funeral in the coming days.  Let it be a time to celebrate his life and remember what he meant to you.  It is completely normal and good to mourn.  But knowing where he is and that you will see him again should be comforting to you.
    So go in peace Cincinnati Bearcat.  Read this here Ecclesiastes chapter 12 I hope it helps you.

I was just hoping Cincy saw this post.
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    RYME said:
    RYME said:
    RYME said:

Hey Cincybearcat,
    I'm sorry for your loss. 

I was just hoping Cincy saw this post.
    I did.  Thank you. 

And thanks to all.  This has been a shitty January.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    I believe in the hawk.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Does anyone remember this incident? And the scandal that led to this creep in prison where he met his fate?

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/08/24/us/abusive-ex-priest-is-killed-in-prison.html

The Massachusetts attorney general released a report [...] saying that at least 789 children and probably more than 1,000 have been sexually abused by 250 priests and other church workers in the Archdiocese of Boston since 1940.

This was just in the Massachusetts area. Everywhere else in the world, throughout time, organized religion has been a feast for pedophiles. For example, the number of Indian children sexually abused at reservation schools in Canada by priests is immeasurable- to the point where an entire culture was socially and emotionally crippled.

It's one thing to have such systematic abuse firmly entrenched in the fabric of the religious experience... it's another for figureheads to cover the abuses up and do nothing about them: '"Abusive priests were not news particularly,'' said David Clohessy, national director of Survivors Network of Those Abused by Priests. ''But with Geoghan, for the first time ever there was undeniable evidence that bishop after bishop after bishop knew and did virtually nothing.'' 

the Geoghan revelations showed the extent of the archdiocese's actions regarding abusive priests. They became clear when a judge ordered it to release files in abuse lawsuits in January 2002. And as the scandal began growing in Boston, scrutiny of dioceses around the country turned up similar accusations of cover-ups and led to the suspension of more than 300 priests.

So yeah... pretty tough to buy in.
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    I wonder why sexual abuse is so common in the Catholic church?
    Are priests drawn to the church because of their sexual attraction to children or does being forced to be celibate warp them?
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    edited February 2018
    Are priests drawn to the church because of their sexual attraction to children or does being forced to be celibate warp them?
    It seems like I read that it relates more to human nature and psyche.  These young men go into priesthood at the height of their sexual being yet they can't exercise the natural feelings they have.  They prey on what is available.

There was a real good documentary on Netflix about a priest that abused a nun and ending up killing her.  Church covered that up too.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    a lawyer friend of mine told me that, by definition, true pedophiles are incredibly rare. child sexual abuse is almost always a result of being a crime of opportunity, hence the priest thing. I was shocked, but his lawyer wife confirmed this. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• I wonder why sexual abuse is so common in the Catholic church?

When you have the stories from 12 guys who followed one dudes motives, well that could have been a homo party right there. The catholic church is no different from other religions that have you marrying your first cousin when she probably has bled for the first time in her life if you're lucky. You could dump on all races and religions for this.

Anyway...............Did Adam and Eve have belly buttons? That is a more pressing question about religion.

The poison from the poison stream caught up to you ELEVEN years ago and you floated out of here. Sept. 14, 08

When you have the stories from 12 guys who followed one dudes motives, well that could have been a homo party right there. The catholic church is no different from other religions that have you marrying your first cousin when she probably has bled for the first time in her life if you're lucky. You could dump on all races and religions for this.

Anyway...............Did Adam and Eve have belly buttons? That is a more pressing question about religion.

So in other words... "Let's not talk about it."

Are you trying to deflect? Or are you trying to minimize? Either is a time tested tactic organized religion uses frequently to cover up their messy situations.

The whole point to offering the piece on the Massachusetts' localized experience (I stress localized because the problem is far more profound than one area of the planet) was to illustrate how religion is exploitive. Specifically Christianity- the thread is 'God'... not Buddha or Allah.

It's a wonderful story to believe in and a hard one to shrug off when it is instilled in you as a child, but if one is objective and looks at the situation for what it is... I'm sorry to say it is a sham of epic proportions. It doesn't stand to reason, it has proven to be corrupt, and in many cases... it has proven to be vile. Ultimately, it's an industry after your money or your services. And if not your money or your services... then in some cases your children. It's a big price to pay for hope.

I'm repeating myself, but I once believed in God as much as anyone as a child. I felt him there residing over me and I tried my best to keep him happy. When I began to question... the 'just believe' responses simply didn't work for me. As an early teen... the fog lifted and I could see the situation much more clearly. It wasn't an easy break- I was psychologically dependent on the big feller. The power of the mind is huge.   
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593

"homo"?  What, wait, did you really say "homo"?  :angry:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

So in other words... "Let's not talk about it."

Are you trying to deflect? Or are you trying to minimize? Either is a time tested tactic organized religion uses frequently to cover up their messy situations.

The whole point to offering the piece on the Massachusetts' localized experience (I stress localized because the problem is far more profound than one area of the planet) was to illustrate how religion is exploitive. Specifically Christianity- the thread is 'God'... not Buddha or Allah.

It's a wonderful story to believe in and a hard one to shrug off when it is instilled in you as a child, but if one is objective and looks at the situation for what it is... I'm sorry to say it is a sham of epic proportions. It doesn't stand to reason, it has proven to be corrupt, and in many cases... it has proven to be vile. Ultimately, it's an industry after your money or your services. And if not your money or your services... then in some cases your children. It's a big price to pay for hope.

I'm repeating myself, but I once believed in God as much as anyone as a child. I felt him there residing over me and I tried my best to keep him happy. When I began to question... the 'just believe' responses simply didn't work for me. As an early teen... the fog lifted and I could see the situation much more clearly. It wasn't an easy break- I was psychologically dependent on the big feller. The power of the mind is huge.   

Don't dump on me brother. I don't believe in religion or a god. I know that the Catholic church is bad.

Would you think about marrying your 12 year old cousin? It is just a point I was making.

And Brian. PC is garbage. And I call it as I see it. Period.

The poison from the poison stream caught up to you ELEVEN years ago and you floated out of here. Sept. 14, 08

• Any culture promoting the marriage of 12 year old girls.., especially cousins... can be flushed in my mind.
    brianlux said:

what's the difference between saying "homo" or "hetero"? if you call someone a homo in a derogatory way, sure, but just saying it in this context I don't find offensive. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

brianlux said:

what's the difference between saying "homo" or "hetero"? if you call someone a homo in a derogatory way, sure, but just saying it in this context I don't find offensive. 
    Maybe it's just my age but I've always thought of "homo" as derogatory and homophobic.  Sorry if I'm wrong.   Damn English language!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Maybe it's just my age but I've always thought of "homo" as derogatory and homophobic.  Sorry if I'm wrong.   Damn English language!
    you're not wrong. I know what you mean. it was derogatory back in my day when all the boys in school would call each other that as a name. But the way even flow used it I don't see a problem. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

I agree that unless you're saying it in a derogatory context, there is nothing wrong with it. Context is everything! I mean, the "Q" in LGBTQ stands for queer (and/or questioning), so yeah, the gay community understands context pretty well. ;)
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    what are you homos blabbing about?
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

I agree that unless you're saying it in a derogatory context, there is nothing wrong with it. Context is everything! I mean, the "Q" in LGBTQ stands for queer (and/or questioning), so yeah, the gay community understands context pretty well. ;)
    So it's OK for me to use the "n" word in the right context?  I don't mean to be argumentative.  I've just hear too many derogatory "homo" comments in my life! And contrary to some folks assumption, I'm not even gay.