Options

Whiskey Clique

Comments

• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,550
    @Bentleyspop I saw your joke about Blantons.  Is it really that bad out there?  Do people really go nuts for that stuff?

I remember buying it for $60 and thinking that was too damn much.  What does it sell for now?
    Where we are the "normal" price, which is what we charge, is $64.99. I know in other states it is maybe $59.99. Saw it recently on a small liquor store shelf in Brooklyn for $169.99
    And yes the bourbon bros are constantly hunting the great Blantons unicorn. They are not hunting it because it is the best bourbon. They hunt because they can't  find it. And like PJ posters, tickets, and license plates they use them as trade bait. And like PJ posters these bottles mostly sit unopened on shelves collecting dust.
    Of course demand goes up at holiday time as every male with  any bourbon collection asks for Blantons as a gift 
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    I saw it in Cape May for $240 last year
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    The best bet is to go to the Buffalo Trace distillery and hope that it's available the day you visit. When we were there they had tons of Blanton's and Buffalo Trace. They have a limit that you can only buy the choice bottles once every three months so me and my wife both grabbed one.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    https://www.buffalotracedistillery.com/product-availability.html

looks like the rye is the only thing available today....not sure if they sold out of something else early or if that is the prize today

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    I don't even bourbon hunt anymore. I'll check the aisle when I go to Meijer/Costco, etc., but I'm done trying to find anything rare. I finally learned to just go with the flow and hope to get a good bottle every year at whiskeyfest.

I've got enough to last a few years anyway.

• Options
    @Bentleyspop I saw your joke about Blantons.  Is it really that bad out there?  Do people really go nuts for that stuff?

I remember buying it for $60 and thinking that was too damn much.  What does it sell for now?
    Where we are the "normal" price, which is what we charge, is $64.99. I know in other states it is maybe $59.99. Saw it recently on a small liquor store shelf in Brooklyn for $169.99
    And yes the bourbon bros are constantly hunting the great Blantons unicorn. They are not hunting it because it is the best bourbon. They hunt because they can't  find it. And like PJ posters, tickets, and license plates they use them as trade bait. And like PJ posters these bottles mostly sit unopened on shelves collecting dust.
    Of course demand goes up at holiday time as every male with  any bourbon collection asks for Blantons as a gift 
    When I frequented another local spot it was there whenever I wanted it for $60.  When it went up to $99 I didn't bother anymore and forgot about that one until you joked about it.

Why would anyone trade for this?  It's not rare...  Self made rarity by Blantons if anything.
  • Options

When I frequented another local spot it was there whenever I wanted it for $60.  When it went up to $99 I didn't bother anymore and forgot about that one until you joked about it.

Why would anyone trade for this?  It's not rare...  Self made rarity by Blantons if anything.
    In some parts of the country it is extremely rare.
    Some states get so few they do a state run lottery.
    Like I said earlier most of the bottles in circulation are sitting on dudes shelves unopened collecting dust.
  • Options
    I don't even bourbon hunt anymore. I'll check the aisle when I go to Meijer/Costco, etc., but I'm done trying to find anything rare. I finally learned to just go with the flow and hope to get a good bottle every year at whiskeyfest.

I've got enough to last a few years anyway.
    I like when they have stuff in the back and they bring it out for regulars.  I hate when they have it marked up stupid on the shelves...

That being said I stopped chasing when stores started charging retail/overcharging.  Only bottle I have bought that was over $100 is the Midwinters Dram these last two years.  Great bottle.

I pass on pretty much everything else and look for good bourbons at reg prices.  Not these stupid inflated ones.  I have bottles of ORVW10, George T Bragg and Thomas Handy that I most likely won't drink because of how much they increased with price...
  • Options

Like I said earlier most of the bottles in circulation are sitting on dudes shelves unopened collecting dust.
    I used to see this sit on shelves.  Crazy that people use it like currency, lol!
  • Options

I used to see this sit on shelves.  Crazy that people use it like currency, lol!
    I got into bourbon about 6-7 years ago. I remember going into a local store and picking up a bottle of Col Taylor. At the time I had no idea about it....I just liked the package it came in and I think it was around $60 or so. That was the last bottle of CT I have ever seen on a shelf.

I made a post several weeks ago about finding Weller Special Reserve on a shelf in Greenville, OH for like $25/bottle I think. That is the only time I have ever seen anything rare on a shelf since that CT.

• Options

I got into bourbon about 6-7 years ago. I remember going into a local store and picking up a bottle of Col Taylor. At the time I had no idea about it....I just liked the package it came in and I think it was around $60 or so. That was the last bottle of CT I have ever seen on a shelf.

I made a post several weeks ago about finding Weller Special Reserve on a shelf in Greenville, OH for like $25/bottle I think. That is the only time I have ever seen anything rare on a shelf since that CT.
    I remember you posting that and was happy for you.

I used to be able to get all sorts of things at a good price just for being a regular.  Those places don’t do that anymore.
  • Options

I used to be able to get all sorts of things at a good price just for being a regular.  Those places don’t do that anymore.
    We all remember the days, not too long ago, where all the Buffalo Trace stuff was available for regular price and stacks of it.

We have regular customers that we take care of. Usually it's for stuff that they haven't even asked for and for customers that are NOT bottle hunters. They actually appreciate what they are drinking.
  • Options

We all remember the days, not too long ago, where all the Buffalo Trace stuff was available for regular price and stacks of it.

We have regular customers that we take care of. Usually it's for stuff that they haven't even asked for and for customers that are NOT bottle hunters. They actually appreciate what they are drinking.
    I'm appreciative to not have to pay $300 for a bottle of Dram, lol!
  • Options

That's cool. Honestly I would be happy with a bottle of Col Taylor, Blanton's once a year or so. This bourbon group I'm part of on FB is nuts. It seems like these guys just visit liquor stores all day hunting for bottles.

• Options

That's cool. Honestly I would be happy with a bottle of Col Taylor, Blanton's once a year or so. This bourbon group I'm part of on FB is nuts. It seems like these guys just visit liquor stores all day hunting for bottles.
    Which one are you in?  I have been dying to get rid of the bottles to someone that would buy them!
  • Options

Which one are you in?  I have been dying to get rid of the bottles to someone that would buy them!
    "Northside Bourbon and Whiskey Club"

• Options

I'm in that one too but nobody sells.  They tell you where to pick stuff up.
  • Options

I'm in that one too but nobody sells.  They tell you where to pick stuff up.
    yeah they are hunter/gatherers

• Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,107

What would you like to sell?
  • Options

What would you like to sell?
    I have a ORVW10, George T Stagg and Thomas Handy BTAC.  Those are 17& 18 I believe and the ORVW is 18.I might have that mixed up.  Need to check the proofs and the laser etch again.
  • Options
    What are you asking for the Stagg?

• Options
    A fair offer.  I've been wanting to raffle the damn thing.
  • Options
    Is the MSRP $99? I really don't know what it would be worth. I have a hard time paying for than MSRP but I'm guessing you are wanting more like $1500 based on what I'm seeing online

• Options
    Is the MSRP $99? I really don't know what it would be worth. I have a hard time paying for than MSRP but I'm guessing you are wanting more like $1500 based on what I'm seeing online
    I paid more than $99 for it...
  • Options
    I picked up a couple bottles of Blantons and more importantly a couple Stagg Jr. 

Stagg Jr is practically impossible to get around here.
  • Options
    smile6680 said:
    I picked up a couple bottles of Blantons and more importantly a couple Stagg Jr. 

What did you pay for those?  That stuff I would be able to get all the time.  It's two that the Bourbon boys seem to gravitate to.
  • Options

• Options

Well hot damn.  They exist!

How does it taste?

Oh and I found another bottle of Willam Larue Weller but they wanted 2000.  I would trade my 3 for one of those.
  • Options

Well hot damn.  They exist!

How does it taste?

Oh and I found another bottle of Willam Larue Weller but they wanted 2000.  I would trade my 3 for one of those.
    No clue about taste
    Not yet
    They were pulled from the "vault" to prepare for an upcoming tasting event. 
    Will report back after that
  • Options
    smile6680smile6680 Posts: 342
    edited January 2023
    smile6680 said:

What did you pay for those?  That stuff I would be able to get all the time.  It's two that the Bourbon boys seem to gravitate to.
    Stagg Jr 49.99. Maine is a price-controlled state. 3 bottles total. two batch #18 and a batch#17. Blantons was 60$

Batch 18 no longer has the "jr" on the label.
    Post edited by smile6680 on