Options

Whiskey Clique

Comments

• Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,257
    It's that time of year again...

Costco has been getting these, believe it or not, and selling them for retail.  Seen a couple people post that on FB groups.
    Can you imagine?  Just doing your weekly shopping and see that sitting on the shelf...for retail?
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    mca47 said:
    bbiggs said:

I've enjoyed most of these that I've tried.  My shop got 3 bottles total and I missed unfortunately.  I did get a Blanton's Gold and the Jack Daniel's 10 year recently though.  Haven't cracked the JD 10 yet, but I'm very excited for this one.  JD was the first bourbon I ever had and it's a pretty cool bottle considering they haven't had a 10 year age statement on it in 100+ years.  97 proof is also a nice bump up.  I'll report back on how it tastes.

Just so you know JD is not a bourbon. It is classified as Tennessee Whiskey. 
    Oh no, not this discussion lol.

It technically meets all the requirements of "bourbon", but it's branded as Tennessee Whiskey.  
    As I work in the liquor business I am often asked about the difference. We abide by what the manufacturer says.
    Which is while the mash bill meets the requirements, it's the being made in Tennessee,  the specific filtering process, and the reusing of the barrels that makes the difference. Even JD says they are not a bourbon.
    Its like those flavored "whiskeys" that come in at 70 proof. Technically they are classified as liqueurs. 
    Potato potatoe
    I like JD single barrel and barrel proof (haven't had a chance to try the other limited stuff) but I think they're being pretty lame about the distinction.  

But it's not nearly as bad as when Woodford named something Chocolate Malted Rye when it's not even a rye!!!
    Yeah, the JD SBBP is really good.  I am not a Jack fan, but was told the SBBP was great.  First sip I was like "goddamn!"

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,570
    This showed up out of the blue...

• Options
    mca47 said:

Costco has been getting these, believe it or not, and selling them for retail.  Seen a couple people post that on FB groups.
    Can you imagine?  Just doing your weekly shopping and see that sitting on the shelf...for retail?
    You mean how it's supposed to be?  Not like some tater coming in and buying them all up and flipping them?

yeah, I'd like those days back again.
  • Options
    mca47 said:

You mean how it's supposed to be?  Not like some tater coming in and buying them all up and flipping them?

yeah, I'd like those days back again.
    I have a feeling this version of what we're seeing is going to stick around for a bit.  Sadly.
  • Options
    Just scored a Midwinter's Act 9 Scene 4 from Total Wine.
  • Options
    mca47 said:
    Oh lucky you!  What'd you pay?
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    mca47 said:
    Good stuff. This arrived at my store today as well, along with Russels Reserve SiB and a couple others. Could only get one. I grabbed the Russell’s. 
  • Options
    mca47 said:
    Oh lucky you!  What'd you pay?
    $109 pre-tax
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,750
    mca47 said:

I always check the bourbon section at Costco on my weekly trips there.  Picked up a bottle of Wild Turkey rare breed Rye last week.  Any thoughts on the Kirkland brand bourbons?  Haven't looked into it much but I'm sure they source it out to a legit distillery...
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,903
    mca47 said:

I always check the bourbon section at Costco on my weekly trips there.  Picked up a bottle of Wild Turkey rare breed Rye last week.  Any thoughts on the Kirkland brand bourbons?  Haven't looked into it much but I'm sure they source it out to a legit distillery...
    Every place near me upsells the rare Breed Rye to like $90.  I'd pay $60 but no way I'm going that high.  I tried it at a bar a few months ago and enjoyed it.  
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,990
    mca47 said:

I just finished a bottle of Kirkland bourbon last night.  Good stuff.  I heard that it came from Dickel but not sure if that is accurate.

I picked up a bottle of WT Rare Breed Rye a few weeks ago at Costco for $60 I believe
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Way too many bourbon hawks out there these days.  It's been this way for years, but it's at an all time high around me.  6-7 dudes were waiting in the store for new inventory to be released yesterday within minutes of when the delivery truck arrived.  I just happened to be driving by and I know that deliveries happen on Wednesday, so it was dumb luck for me to be there at the right time.  These guys are all on social media groups where someone posts to notify the hawks to start swarming when one of the stores in the Chicago area (it is a chain) gets anything good.  It is ridiculous.  I don't have the time or energy for it, nor am I on FB, Reddit, etc. groups, so any good stuff I get I'll consider to be right place, right time.
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    Way too many bourbon hawks out there these days.  It's been this way for years, but it's at an all time high around me.  6-7 dudes were waiting in the store for new inventory to be released yesterday within minutes of when the delivery truck arrived.  I just happened to be driving by and I know that deliveries happen on Wednesday, so it was dumb luck for me to be there at the right time.  These guys are all on social media groups where someone posts to notify the hawks to start swarming when one of the stores in the Chicago area (it is a chain) gets anything good.  It is ridiculous.  I don't have the time or energy for it, nor am I on FB, Reddit, etc. groups, so any good stuff I get I'll consider to be right place, right time.
    same...I joined a bourbon group in my area and it's amazing. These people just hit several stores a day.

About a year ago a guy was at Meijer when they stocked six bottles of Blanton's. He bought all six right then. 

It's an odd OCD type thing.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    same...I joined a bourbon group in my area and it's amazing. These people just hit several stores a day.

About a year ago a guy was at Meijer when they stocked six bottles of Blanton's. He bought all six right then. 

A friend who is on one of these FB groups told me it has gotten so bad that someone will take a picture of a bottle in hand and post it for sale (at ridiculous secondary prices) while they're still standing in the f'n store.  Can't get much worse than that. 

• Options
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:

A friend who is on one of these FB groups told me it has gotten so bad that someone will take a picture of a bottle in hand and post it for sale (at ridiculous secondary prices) while they're still standing in the f'n store.  Can't get much worse than that. 

I admit to getting a little OCD with bourbon when I started getting into it. But to me "bourbon hunting" was just visiting a liquor store out of my area while travelling, etc.

Some of these people have 100 years worth of bourbon on their shelves.

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,866
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:

Sounds like PJ merch sales. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,605
    People suck. Scotch it is
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:

Sounds like PJ merch sales. 
    Absolutely.  It is the same beast.

• Options
    There is enough good bourbon out there.  While those crazy fuckers are hunting down overpriced Col Taylor and Blanton's I will enjoy my Buffalo Trace, Wild Turkey, Chattanooga, Clyde Mays, Backbone, etc. :)

• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,570
    edited October 2021
    bbiggs said:
    We refer to them as Bourbon Bros. or The Vultures. They swarm here on Tuesdays around noon when some of our deliveries come in. We wait and put out our allocations at random times on random days. Sometimes we go weeks without putting any out.

We sell Rare Breed for $54.99
    Post edited by Bentleyspop on
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,866
    Bourbon Bros. hahaha. @2feignreluctance
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,903
    There is enough good bourbon out there.  While those crazy fuckers are hunting down overpriced Col Taylor and Blanton's I will enjoy my Buffalo Trace, Wild Turkey, Chattanooga, Clyde Mays, Backbone, etc. :)

There’s so much good stuff that is always available. Hype can really drive people insane. 

My cabinet will always include: WT101, Makers 46, and OF 100. $85 combined for 3 great bottles. 
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options

There’s so much good stuff that is always available. Hype can really drive people insane. 

My cabinet will always include: WT101, Makers 46, and OF 100. $85 combined for 3 great bottles. 
    yep....I should have included makers and OF in there too. good stuff

• Options
    bbiggs said:

Blanton's is hardly rare but the bourbon community turned it in to a commodity.

Bourbon Bros is funny.  We usually just call them "taters".

Tonight is supposed to be a nice night.  I think I'll open a bottle I have been waiting on w a cigar and light a fire since this weekend looks shot.
  • Options

I hear you. I always have stuff along those lines on hand and it's always available. I am just saying for the top shelf stuff.
  • Options

I hear you. I always have stuff along those lines on hand and it's always available. I am just saying for the top shelf stuff.
    There are many bourbons that could be top shelf if the snobs ever get a chance to ruin it.  You just wait.
  • Options

There are many bourbons that could be top shelf if the snobs ever get a chance to ruin it.  You just wait.
    I was going to say just wait until Maker's 46 is impossible to get
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    bbiggs said:

Blanton's is hardly rare but the bourbon community turned it in to a commodity.

Bourbon Bros is funny.  We usually just call them "taters".

Tonight is supposed to be a nice night.  I think I'll open a bottle I have been waiting on w a cigar and light a fire since this weekend looks shot.
    Blanton's is rare around here (Indy). I have never seen it on a shelf.

• Options

I was going to say just wait until Maker's 46 is impossible to get
    Yep.  It's getting nuts!