Options

2017/18 NBA Thread

Comments

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,279
    edited May 2018
    Well the Sixers met their match now.  Celts in 5.
    Dude, you are so easily swayed over small sample sizes. The Celtics played over their heads while the Sixers played well below theirs. Gonna be a long series, not a short one. 
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,015
    Dude, you are so easily swayed over small sample sizes. The Celtics played over their heads while the Sixers played well below theirs. Gonna be a long series, not a short one. 
    Five games.

There are awkward match ups sometimes like OKC and Golden state a few years ago.
  • Options
    Five games.

There are awkward match ups sometimes like OKC and Golden state a few years ago.
    Talent wins out in seven game series, especially in the NBA. 

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Five games.

I'm trying to figure out what talent the Cavs have sometimes...
  • Options
    Five games.

Wrong series...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,225
    Five games.

Well outside of Simmons and Embiid, the Sixers aren't nearly as talented as you'd like to think. That was on full display last night. Stevens basically let Embiid do his thing and shut the rest down, the role players aren't that great and they are still very young. Will be interesting to see how they bounce back.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Five games.

Wrong series...
    Oh no, correct series.  I was just commenting how the "talent" thing worked out for Indiana.
  • Options
    Five games.

Wrong series...
    Oh no, correct series.  I was just commenting how the "talent" thing worked out for Indiana.

You think Indiana had more talent than the Cavs?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Poncier said:
    Five games.

Well outside of Simmons and Embiid, the Sixers aren't nearly as talented as you'd like to think. That was on full display last night. Stevens basically let Embiid do his thing and shut the rest down, the role players aren't that great and they are still very young. Will be interesting to see how they bounce back.

I think what was on full display last night was one of the better three point shooting teams in the league missing wide open looks all night long. While the Celtics made close to 50% of theirs. Once these numbers revert to the mean, you'll see why the Sixers are favored. I think 6 days of rest took the Sixers out of their rhythm and their defense was terrible. They'll be better on Thursday and the Celtics will be worse.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Or we're seeing the Sixers true identity against a quality defensive opponent rather than the inflated picture a 16 game winning streak against largely the dregs of the league painted in March and April.

Time will tell.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Poncier said:
    Or we're seeing the Sixers true identity against a quality defensive opponent rather than the inflated picture a 16 game winning streak against largely the dregs of the league painted in March and April.

Time will tell.

You don't win 52 games during a 16 game stretch (which they played mostly without their best player)....
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,601
    edited May 2018
    Lotta hot takes based on 48 minutes of basketball

Gonna be a tough series, but not sure 1 game says much of anything. Remember when the Heat beat the piss out of the Sixers in game 2 and were up by 12 in the 3rd quarter of game 3 (4?)...
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • Options
    Five games.

Wrong series...

You think Indiana had more talent than the Cavs?
    Yes at times I did.  The Cavs piss me off more than any other team out there.  When Smith is on and defending, Tristan Thompson plays D, Love knocks down 3's and is a rebounding machine, Kourver hits his 3's and Lebron is being himself then the Cavs are unstoppable but all those cylinders have yet to run together.

The team has showed moments of great but not a sustained great.

I'd love to see everything work and the Cavs will be a fun team to watch.
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,429
    Calling that after one game has been played already?
  • Options
    cutz said:
    Yep.
  • Options
    No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126
    Poncier said:

Time will tell.

You don't win 52 games during a 16 game stretch (which they played mostly without their best player)....
    Completely agree, and whilst I do think it's possible for the C's to win the series, 76ers shot terribly yesterday and Rozier and Horford shot the lights out.
    Yes, the C's are a lot better team than the Heat, but 76ers will adjust and come back. I think it will go to at least 6 games
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014
  • Options
    cutz said:
    Yep.
    It doesn't count though since you waited until after game 1>LOL
  • Options
    No Coder said:
    Poncier said:

Time will tell.

Completely agree, and whilst I do think it's possible for the C's to win the series, 76ers shot terribly yesterday and Rozier and Horford shot the lights out.
    Yes, the C's are a lot better team than the Heat, but 76ers will adjust and come back. I think it will go to at least 6 games

Agreed.

From a glass half full perspective with the Sixers offense: C's didn't double team Embiid at all and the Sixers still got 24 open threes (4 ft of space) out of 26 attempts. That just tells me a good three point shooting team just flat out missed a ton of wide open shots. That is highly unlikely to continue.

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126
    No Coder said:
    Poncier said:

Time will tell.

Agreed.

From a glass half full perspective with the Sixers offense: C's didn't double team Embiid at all and the Sixers still got 24 open threes (4 ft of space) out of 26 attempts. That just tells me a good three point shooting team just flat out missed a ton of wide open shots. That is highly unlikely to continue.

Very true.

The amusing thing is, if anyone said that the Sixers would lose to the Celtics in the EC Semi Finals at the start of the year, most Sixers fans would have been ecstatic at that result and you would probably have been laughed at.
    Now, because they ended the season particularly well and handled the Heat pretty easily in the 1st round, everyone is expecting them to go far, with some "experts" having them in the Finals already.  I think it's possible, but they still have a lot to improve on and the Heat are a very average team , so think they are being over hyped now.
    As an Aussie, I've been cheering for them as my second team since Simmons was drafted and hope they go as far as possible.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014
  • Options
    cutz said:
    Yep.
    It doesn't count though since you waited until after game 1>LOL
  • Options
    No Coder said:
    Poncier said:

Time will tell.

Agreed.

I was thinking the same when i was watching the game(76ers missed a lot of wide open shots). I didn't realize it was that many though. I don't see that happening again if they get those wide open shots.

And on the flip side, will Terry Rozier continue to shoot like he has?(He shot under %40 for the year). Hell, even Marcus Smart made a couple of 3's and he can't shoot. 
  • Options
    Ha...they finally called a lane violation on Lebron. They could call that on most of his foul shot attempts if they wanted to
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,465
    what a bunch of bullshit.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    really dumb. should’ve gone for a two for one.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    hehehe. it worked out.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,503
    Always missed the good games.. :|
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,744
    How the hell did the Raptors lose that game???  
  • Options

Cause they're the Raptors.
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,744
    Poncier said:

Cause they're the Raptors.
    Yep.  That's a good explanation.  That was unreal.
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,503
    Do you think Rockets can make it in West??..if not this year, then when??
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..