Las Vegas massacre.

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,554
59 dead and over 500 wounded and no thread here yet?  Surprising.
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,188
    brianlux said:
    59 dead and over 500 wounded and no thread here yet?  Surprising.
    It's been spread out in the Gun Violence and Trump thread.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,362
    The scale just keeps getting bigger and bigger. I think I’m having a tough time wrapping my head around this. When is enough enough? Such a sad day.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Maybe some are just trying to take this shit in.  It never even occurred to me to create a discussion about this.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,554
    hedonist said:
    Maybe some are just trying to take this shit in.  It never even occurred to me to create a discussion about this.
    Oh for sure.  I meant no slight here.  It's just that I was gone all day and had expected more reaction. 

What a terrible sad thing.  I can't imagine being in the midst of that awful chaos and for the survivors having to deal with the way that would change one's life.  Very sad.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    The sad reason that there is no thread is that mass shootings are now so common in America that it no longer shocks anyone and we automatically just figure the latest will be covered in the gun violence thread. This is what your country has become, it no longer surprises the rest of the world when one of your citizens randomly decides to go out an murder a bunch of strangers
  • Truth
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,119
    The sad reason that there is no thread is that mass shootings are now so common in America that it no longer shocks anyone and we automatically just figure the latest will be covered in the gun violence thread. This is what your country has become, it no longer surprises the rest of the world when one of your citizens randomly decides to go out an murder a bunch of strangers
    Yet after this incident not much will change. If after the Sandy Hook shooting nothing was done to help stop these all too common mass shootings.....I don't expect much will be done here sadly. Someone else WILL come along and be more deadly than in this instance, then we're left to ask WHY so often does this have to happen in America?

Peace

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• The sad reason that there is no thread is that mass shootings are now so common in America that it no longer shocks anyone and we automatically just figure the latest will be covered in the gun violence thread. This is what your country has become, it no longer surprises the rest of the world when one of your citizens randomly decides to go out an murder a bunch of strangers
    I think the news sensationalizes it more than anything.  You need only 5 minutes to understand what's going on, yet they have 24hr non stop news coverage.  I find that more disgusting than anything.

How many news channels are looking for an "exclusive" with the shooters brother right now?  Most likely all of them.

It's a tragedy that grows to being perverse unfortunately.

A positive I did see is all the Las Vegas residents lining up to give blood, some waiting hours.  
    edited October 2017
    I think the news sensationalizes it more than anything.  You need only 5 minutes to understand what's going on, yet they have 24hr non stop news coverage.  I find that more disgusting than anything.

How many news channels are looking for an "exclusive" with the shooters brother right now?  Most likely all of them.

A positive I did see is all the Las Vegas residents lining up to give blood, some waiting hours.  
    How has the news sensationalized the deadliest mass shooting in history? You want them to neatly summarize it in 5 minutes and move on? 5 fucking minutes? Why, so Americans can get back to being lazy, ignorant drones and continue to ignore our gun violence problem. I want them talking about it non stop because that's the only way anything will ever change. Once they stop talking about it is when it loses the momentum needed to influence change. And I'm sorry, but there currently has been no positive to this shooting. People lining up to give blood because hundreds were shot. What low expectations we have.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,250

The biggest mass shooting in our history you want it to go away after one day really no this needs to be at the forefront of news sickle to point out what a joke this country is about the giant gun issue we have !
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,601
    The news kind of sensationalizes it to a point though

*GUYS NAME* BREAKS THE RECORD FOR THE DEADLIEST MASS SHOOTING IN HISTORY
    *Guy's Picture*
    Will anyone break the record?

• CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,785
    tbergs said:

How has the news sensationalized the deadliest mass shooting in history? You want them to neatly summarize it in 5 minutes and move on? 5 fucking minutes? Why, so Americans can get back to being lazy, ignorant drones and continue to ignore our gun violence problem. I want them talking about it non stop because that's the only way anything will ever change. Once they stop talking about it is when it loses the momentum needed to influence change. And I'm sorry, but there currently has been no positive to this shooting. People lining up to give blood because hundreds were shot. What low expectations we have.
    Kind of how I've felt watching the news.  They keep trying to find the positive spin.  There is no positive spin here.  People coming together in the wake of another crisis is not good news, it's reaction to a tragedy.  Good news would be if we found ways from this happening again.  Instead it is getting worse.  
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • tbergs said:

Stop it, stop.

You like seeing what happened from a new angle from another survivor and his cell phone video?

You like hearing the "police expert" talk about how it sounded like automatic gun fire?

You like hearing the on air anchors ask dumb questions because they've run out of things to ask?

Stop it, stop.

It IS a tragedy and should be treated as such but if you can't see how news and media dumbs it down and makes the reporting distasteful then we will disagree then.

Also forgive me for supporting the people to giving blood, dear lord man...
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,168
    tbergs said:

Stop it, stop.

You like seeing what happened from a new angle from another survivor and his cell phone video?

You like hearing the "police expert" talk about how it sounded like automatic gun fire?

You like hearing the on air anchors ask dumb questions because they've run out of things to ask?

Stop it, stop.

It IS a tragedy and should be treated as such but if you can't see how news and media dumbs it down and makes the reporting distasteful then we will disagree then.

Also forgive me for supporting the people to giving blood, dear lord man...
    i agree with you on this. it was very heart warming to see how many peopled turned up.  so many they had to stop taking people. one thing about this country is the people do a very nice job of rallying for each other in times like this.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,292
    brianlux said:
    hedonist said:
    Oh for sure.  I meant no slight here.  It's just that I was gone all day and had expected more reaction. 

What a terrible sad thing.  I can't imagine being in the midst of that awful chaos and for the survivors having to deal with the way that would change one's life.  Very sad.

whats to discuss? seriously. it will NEVER change. NEVER.

I become more cynical with each everyday occurance. THIS is the price we continue to pay to keep believing in the bullshit brochure of this country.

It was created in violence, expanded in violence and will implode in violence.

Rome is burning......
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,516
    My right to own a gun is more important than your right to live.

Sincerely all Gun Owners
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    Any word on the guy’s motive?  I keep reading “rumors”, but nothing official.  Definitely seems like a person with an agenda...
    PJPOWER said:
    Any word on the guy’s motive?  I keep reading “rumors”, but nothing official.  Definitely seems like a person with an agenda...
    It doesn't matter what the motivation was. 
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,251
    It's hard to know which was more depressing - the fact that this has happened again; or the fact that it's such a 'normal' thing to happen now that we're kind of numb to it.

I fear that it will get to the point where you turn on the news and hear "Today's homicide figure stands at __... now over to Chad for sports"

It's never going to stop because America will never do the right thing when it comes to gun control.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    edited October 2017
    CM189191 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Of course it does.  If it was racially or politically motivated, it matters.  Understanding a person’s motive is paramount in helping prevent future attacks.  If his motive was that he is part of a political fringe group planning more of these, then it would matter.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    The false flaggers are out in droves today.
    Sad.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    rgambs said:
    Sad.
    They remind me of the “Flat Earthers”
  • rgambs said:
    Sad.
    Forgive my ignorance, but what is a "false flagger"?  I googled it and I'm not sure that it means what you intend it to?
    rgambs said:
    Sad.
    Just as bad if not worse than the actual incident are those who spread the lies and conspiracy BS. It just minimizes the impact and diverts the focus.
    PJPOWER said:
    CM189191 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Of course it does.  If it was racially or politically motivated, it matters.  Understanding a person’s motive is paramount in helping prevent future attacks.  If his motive was that he is part of a political fringe group planning more of these, then it would matter.

All that matters is easy access to a gun.  Understanding that preventing easy access to an instrument design to inflict maximum human casualty is paramount to preventing future attacks.  Stop shifting the conversation from what the problem actually is: guns.  

It can not be stated more clearly:  Guns are the problem.  Gun laws are the solution.  

It has been proven time and time again.  Other countries with more gun laws have less guns violence and death.  States with more gun laws have less gun violence and death.  It is clear as the day is long.  Guns = gun violence.
    CM189191 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    CM189191 said:
    PJPOWER said:

All that matters is easy access to a gun.  Understanding that preventing easy access to an instrument design to inflict maximum human casualty is paramount to preventing future attacks.  Stop shifting the conversation from what the problem actually is: guns.  

It can not be stated more clearly:  Guns are the problem.  Gun laws are the solution.  

It has been proven time and time again.  Other countries with more gun laws have less guns violence and death.  States with more gun laws have less gun violence and death.  It is clear as the day is long.  Guns = gun violence.
    If that is your focus, then fine.  But there are plenty of reasons to focus on the motive as well.  If you do not want to know the motive, then ignore my question.  You have a very black and white way of thinking...
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,518
    rgambs said:
    Sad.
    I just read a fb comment on an article about people who were heroes during the attack, that the shooter had antifa flags all over his room, his wife was a muslim, and that an fbi swat team were responsible for his desth.
    Cuckoo cuckoo

Can't wait for alex jones to blame president Obama for this
  • CM189191 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    CM189191 said:
    PJPOWER said:

Knowing what fuels people is a good way to keeping the guns out of peoples hands so I'd agree that knowing a motive IS important.

Guns have always been available but why are people going on mass shooting sprees?

There has to be a link somewhere as to why people are going sideways?
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,554
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    hedonist said:

whats to discuss? seriously. it will NEVER change. NEVER.

I become more cynical with each everyday occurance. THIS is the price we continue to pay to keep believing in the bullshit brochure of this country.

It was created in violence, expanded in violence and will implode in violence.

Rome is burning......
    I believe things can change based on taking it down to the lowest increment- one person.  Me.  Or you.  Or anyone.  I changed.  In my case, from feeling so hopeless that I nearly did myself in to living a relatively good and (hopefully anyway!) somewhat useful life.  Don't get me wrong- I'm not trying to make myself sound heroic.  In the grand scheme of things, I'm very insignificant.  I just mean to illustrate that each of us can change, become better people, move forward.

Ending or at least reducing violence seems like any other important subject.    I understand the thought that we may very well not slow climate change/global warming in time to prevent our own extinction.  We may not reduce atomic bombs in time to prevent  nuclear holocaust.  We may not decrease our use of antibiotics in time to prevent massive epidemics.  But to me it only makes sense to try.  If we don't  try to change ourselves and in turn change the way society reacts then, yes, there is nothing to discuss and no point in discussing any of this.   That is the ultimate in cynicism.  I hope you're not that cynical, micky.  You've brought too much to the table for me to believe that.  Anyway, I hope I'm right about that.

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:
    Sad.
    They remind me of the “Flat Earthers”
    I am sure there's quite an overlap.
    It seems like people who believe in any single conspiracy tend to believe in every single conspiracy.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?