Las Vegas massacre.

Comments

• goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,251
    After the Clovis shooting in August it was reported that "This incident marked the 244th mass shooting in 2017, according to Gun Violence Archive. To put this into perspective, we are 240 days into the year. In short, the U.S. has had more mass shootings than days in 2017."

I just cannot get my head around this. How can so many people be convinced that there is no problem?

“Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    CM189191 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    CM189191 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Any word on the guy’s motive?  I keep reading “rumors”, but nothing official.  Definitely seems like a person with an agenda...
    It doesn't matter what the motivation was. 
    Of course it does.  If it was racially or politically motivated, it matters.  Understanding a person’s motive is paramount in helping prevent future attacks.  If his motive was that he is part of a political fringe group planning more of these, then it would matter.

All that matters is easy access to a gun.  Understanding that preventing easy access to an instrument design to inflict maximum human casualty is paramount to preventing future attacks.  Stop shifting the conversation from what the problem actually is: guns.  

It can not be stated more clearly:  Guns are the problem.  Gun laws are the solution.  

It has been proven time and time again.  Other countries with more gun laws have less guns violence and death.  States with more gun laws have less gun violence and death.  It is clear as the day is long.  Guns = gun violence.
    Knowing what fuels people is a good way to keeping the guns out of peoples hands so I'd agree that knowing a motive IS important.

Guns have always been available but why are people going on mass shooting sprees?

There has to be a link somewhere as to why people are going sideways?
    For all we know, this asshat could have been a Russian operative...it is ignorant to say “motive does not matter” or to assume anything this early in the investigation.
  • goldrush said:
    After the Clovis shooting in August it was reported that "This incident marked the 244th mass shooting in 2017, according to Gun Violence Archive. To put this into perspective, we are 240 days into the year. In short, the U.S. has had more mass shootings than days in 2017."

I just cannot get my head around this. How can so many people be convinced that there is no problem?

Yes there is a problem.

Why do people shoot each other so easily?

Why is killing so easy for people?

Why is this release of violence the only answer?

These are questions I'd ask and try to solve answers to.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,554
    Here we go with the conspiracy theories already.  The Russians did it.  No, it was Trump's fault.  No, it was Obama.  And let's not forget Stone.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

goldrush said:

Yes there is a problem.

We're a violence loving society.  We eat violence like Cheerios in the morning.  And it sells.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    CM189191 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    CM189191 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Any word on the guy’s motive?  I keep reading “rumors”, but nothing official.  Definitely seems like a person with an agenda...
    Of course it does.  If it was racially or politically motivated, it matters.  Understanding a person’s motive is paramount in helping prevent future attacks.  If his motive was that he is part of a political fringe group planning more of these, then it would matter.

All that matters is easy access to a gun.  Understanding that preventing easy access to an instrument design to inflict maximum human casualty is paramount to preventing future attacks.  Stop shifting the conversation from what the problem actually is: guns.  

It can not be stated more clearly:  Guns are the problem.  Gun laws are the solution.  

It has been proven time and time again.  Other countries with more gun laws have less guns violence and death.  States with more gun laws have less gun violence and death.  It is clear as the day is long.  Guns = gun violence.
    Exactly.
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,785
    CM189191 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    CM189191 said:
    PJPOWER said:

Knowing what fuels people is a good way to keeping the guns out of peoples hands so I'd agree that knowing a motive IS important.

Guns have always been available but why are people going on mass shooting sprees?

There has to be a link somewhere as to why people are going sideways?

You have this totally ass backwards.

There always have been, and always will be people who are sideways. 

What changed is their ability scale up the damage they can cause. 

more guns = more guns violence  
    full stop

Why is this so difficult for people to understand?

WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,119
    They say the police found him so quickly because the smoke from the gunfire set off the fire alarm in his room and they were able to pinpoint where he was.  Considering the amount of weapons and ammo he never used it could have been a lot worse.
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,364
    I wish they wouldn’t give out the persons name. I get that we have a right to know, but it just gives them the extra attention they may have wanted. Society shouldn’t give them that glory to be known for doing such a horiffic thing. It probably really affects the lives of those closely related too by giving out the name. The brother is already being harassed by the news. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016

• JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    On Monday, just after the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history, gunmakers saw a boom in their stock prices: American Outdoor Brands Corp. (previously Smith & Wesson), Sturm, Ruger & Co., and Vista Outdoor climbed by 2.3 percent, 3.7 percent and 1.4 percent, respectively, in morning trade, according to MarketWatch.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/gun-stocks-climb-after-las-vegas-shooting_us_59d24477e4b06791bb11f178

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,793
    edited October 2017
    The "US" view on, availability of and love for guns is such a Twilight Zone episode. 

EDIT: Kimmel is such a nice dude.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,925
    goldrush said:

I don't know many who deny there's a problem. Its just we can't agree on how to fix it.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    hedonist said:
    Maybe some are just trying to take this shit in.  It never even occurred to me to create a discussion about this.
    why not? every other mass shooting on this scale has had its own thread. But I think it got gobbled up by the gun violence thread, which someone pointed out, so maybe thought there was no need. 

it's not that people are becoming numb to this as someone else said. I think there's plenty of outrage about this type of thing still. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    brianlux said:
    goldrush said:

Yes there is a problem.

We're a violence loving society.  We eat violence like Cheerios in the morning.  And it sells.
    https://youtu.be/hii17sjSwfA
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,456
    CM189191 said:
    tbergs said:
    The sad reason that there is no thread is that mass shootings are now so common in America that it no longer shocks anyone and we automatically just figure the latest will be covered in the gun violence thread. This is what your country has become, it no longer surprises the rest of the world when one of your citizens randomly decides to go out an murder a bunch of strangers
    I think the news sensationalizes it more than anything.  You need only 5 minutes to understand what's going on, yet they have 24hr non stop news coverage.  I find that more disgusting than anything.

How many news channels are looking for an "exclusive" with the shooters brother right now?  Most likely all of them.

It's a tragedy that grows to being perverse unfortunately.

A positive I did see is all the Las Vegas residents lining up to give blood, some waiting hours.  
    How has the news sensationalized the deadliest mass shooting in history? You want them to neatly summarize it in 5 minutes and move on? 5 fucking minutes? Why, so Americans can get back to being lazy, ignorant drones and continue to ignore our gun violence problem. I want them talking about it non stop because that's the only way anything will ever change. Once they stop talking about it is when it loses the momentum needed to influence change. And I'm sorry, but there currently has been no positive to this shooting. People lining up to give blood because hundreds were shot. What low expectations we have.
    Kind of how I've felt watching the news.  They keep trying to find the positive spin.  There is no positive spin here.  People coming together in the wake of another crisis is not good news, it's reaction to a tragedy.  Good news would be if we found ways from this happening again.  Instead it is getting worse.  
    I agree with this. Enough of this pandering "now's not the time" bullshit, which even the fucking Trump government is getting on board with because they don't want to confront any issues. I am so fucking sick of this crap, and even the media is pushing that idea, as though they are trying to guilt those people who want to confront the issues that this present head on into shutting up.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    mace1229 said:
    goldrush said:

I don't know many who deny there's a problem. Its just we can't agree on how to fix it.
    No, won't is the word you were looking for.
    The whole world agrees on how to begin fixing it, but your side WON'T accept what's obvious.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    edited October 2017
    rgambs said:
    mace1229 said:
    goldrush said:

The whole world agrees on how to begin fixing it, but your side WON'T accept what's obvious.
    That is a fact. That is why Trump and friends are trying to tell everyone that it's not appropriate to talk about it at all.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,807

At this point, as a country, we've made a deal.  People can have essentially any firearm they want to protect their families but sometimes those arms will be used for sinister purposes that get a lot of innocent people killed.  It's similar to the deal our culture has made with driving: we want the movement and individuality that comes with driving and we accept that some of us are going to die as a result.  There are plenty of ways we could slash the number of people killed each year on the road; we choose our "freedoms" (which include weak enforcement of actual illegal things).  We're not going to change that greatly and there's no indication we're going to do so with guns, either.  So in both cases, you'd better be strapped.

1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    mace1229 said:
    goldrush said:

That is a fact. That is why Trump and friends are trying to tell everyone that it's not appropriate to talk about it at all.

pro-gunners always trots that line out every mass shooting. "can we not respect the fallen and wait until the bodies are no longer warm to talk about the issue?" blah blah BLAH. all in hopes that people will forget about it after their unknown predetermined amount of respect time. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,415
    I wish they wouldn’t give out the persons name. I get that we have a right to know, but it just gives them the extra attention they may have wanted. Society shouldn’t give them that glory to be known for doing such a horiffic thing. It probably really affects the lives of those closely related too by giving out the name. The brother is already being harassed by the news. 
    They absolutely should give out the person's name and plaster his stupid fucking face all over the news.  Because if they didn't, Trump would have every fucking moron who voted for him convinced via twitter that it was done by ISIS, a black man, or "an illegal."

The brother is already being harassed? Whoop-de-do.  People are fucking dead.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,168
    OnWis97 said:

At this point, as a country, we've made a deal.  People can have essentially any firearm they want to protect their families but sometimes those arms will be used for sinister purposes that get a lot of innocent people killed.  It's similar to the deal our culture has made with driving: we want the movement and individuality that comes with driving and we accept that some of us are going to die as a result.  There are plenty of ways we could slash the number of people killed each year on the road; we choose our "freedoms" (which include weak enforcement of actual illegal things).  We're not going to change that greatly and there's no indication we're going to do so with guns, either.  So in both cases, you'd better be strapped.

except guns are made strictly for the purpose to kill while cars are not.

i also love when the gun folks trot out they  need their guns to protect their families. where the heck do these people live that people are coming into their homes for their families?  the number of deaths in the home by assailants those who die don't know is incredibly small in an given point of time.
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,807
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    mace1229 said:
    goldrush said:

pro-gunners always trots that line out every mass shooting. "can we not respect the fallen and wait until the bodies are no longer warm to talk about the issue?" blah blah BLAH. all in hopes that people will forget about it after their unknown predetermined amount of respect time. 
    In other words, wait until America has moved on to who's going to win America's got Talent.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,250
    goldrush said:

Yes there is a problem.

we glorify killing in this country just start with holywood violence sells big time in this country ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • goldrush said:

Yes there is a problem.

we glorify killing in this country just start with holywood violence sells big time in this country ...
    That is make believe and not real life...

Is society not grasping reality and thinks everything is a movie or video game?  I don't buy that.  You grew up watching Tom & Jerry and they beat the hell out of each other.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,250
    goldrush said:

Yes there is a problem.

Is society not grasping reality and thinks everything is a movie or video game?  I don't buy that.  You grew up watching Tom & Jerry and they beat the hell out of each other.

Are you saying this country doesn't glorify guns and violence , i didn't say people can't tell real life from movies ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    goldrush said:

Yes there is a problem.

Sadly, I think people do absorb a lot of what they watch on TV and become like that.  My brother and I used to watch The Three Stooges and then go around acting like Two Stooges and we hurt each other once in awhile in the process (and, OK, I confess, I still like The Three Stooges, haha!). 

Americans very much emulate what media and entertainment sells them.  That's why so many guys want to be "bad ass" and so many women want to be "babes" rather than feel good about being grown women and men.

And I also agree with the notion that many people at least subconsciously see life as a video game or movie.  We easily become what we immerse ourselves in.  Look at the crap on TV-- so much of it is dark and violent or just plain stupid.  America is becoming dark and violent and stupid.  I think there is a correlation. 

There are other choices.  We could immerse ourselves in good music.  To me, life is music.  I was once mildly chastised for one too many times mentioning how something reminded me of a song (I still do that but I keep it to myself).  Several years ago I said "analogue love songs can save the world".  It was sort of a joke but now I believe it.

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,925
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    mace1229 said:
    goldrush said:

I agree that it is a good time to talk about it after an incident like this. Only a guess, but I think its part of a fear that there will be an over-reaction based on emotion.
    Sort of like how 99% of the country wanted to go to war on 9/12/2001 , but when asked 2 years later the majority thought we never should have gone to begin with.
    So the result is to not talk about it until the emotions fade.
    goldrush said:

Yes there is a problem.

It's not Hollywood. All of the other developed countries have just as much exposure to Hollywood productions, it sells big time everywhere, yet the gun problem only exists in America.
    It doesn't hurt to remember that this gun violence problem is pretty much an American man problem. I think that is a really important aspect to examine.
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    mace1229 said:
    goldrush said:

I agree that it is a good time to talk about it after an incident like this. Only a guess, but I think its part of a fear that there will be an over-reaction based on emotion.
    Sort of like how 99% of the country wanted to go to war on 9/12/2001 , but when asked 2 years later the majority thought we never should have gone to begin with.
    So the result is to not talk about it until the emotions fade.
    Interesting points and I'm not disagreeing and I don't mean to side-track too much but I wonder--  do we let the emotions fade too much?  Do we get callous and jaded over time? I was thinking about the Vietnam thread.  I'm not as pissed off about the war in Vietnam now as I was in 1960 or '71 or whatever, but when I think about was a travesty it was, I do feel pissed off that it happened, and I do feel remorse that guys I knew died and guysI know today who still suffer the consequences. I don't think we should too easily forget these terrible incidents or become too accustomed to them or become too jaded.