Options

Hurricane Harvey

Comments

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Jason P said:
    Gotta keep positive.  Wish I was nearby with a boat to help the stranded. 
    I hear ya, Jason.  Keeping good thoughts for so many there, your uncle included.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Positive thoughts, vibes, prayers for my home state of Texas, hometown of Houston & our neighbors in Louisiana. Keep the fucking politics out of it.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,754
    50 inches of rain in just a few days.  That's hard to imagine.  We only average something like 39 inches a year.  Thankfully the rain is moving out.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/exxonmobil-texas-refineries-damaged-hurricane-harvey-release-thousands-pounds-pollutants-air/

ExxonMobil disclosed Tuesday that two of its refineries accidentally released 12,000 pounds of hazardous vapors into the air after being damaged by Hurricane Harvey.

(if they report 12,000 pounds released, I'm guessing it's at least 36,000 and that the accident isn't life threatening to humans or wildlife)
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,053
    So who is donating what and to where?  Let's see some positive posts on here.

Again here is where my money is going:
    https://www.youcaring.com/victimsofhurricaneharvey-915053
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Always cool to hear about the donations.  Taylor Swift donated millions last year to Baton Rouge and did it with little media PR coverage.  I thought that was cool. Respect to her for that.  
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Always cool to hear about the donations.  Taylor Swift donated millions last year to Baton Rouge and did it with little media PR coverage.  I thought that was cool. Respect to her for that.  
    Sandra bullock does too with "little" PR coverage. pr coverage is pr coverage, little or big, either your publicists knows or they don't.
    "hey publicists put this out there but only put it out there a little"
  • Options
    JC29856 said:
    Sandra bullock does too with "little" PR coverage. pr coverage is pr coverage, little or big, either your publicists knows or they don't.
    I chose the JJ Watt Youcaring fund because the stars are calling each other out to donate.  They then call out others to do the same.

I'm all for this.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    what this video! msnbc lost the feed....

https://youtu.be/ykENlBfRkEs

“It’s pretty clear something has gone wrong here,” Rattansi said of the unexpected flooding. “We’re in what’s called the Golden Triangle… the reason why it’s called the Golden Triangle is because this is the first place in the United States that they discovered large quantities of oil. And that led to the Texas oil boom and the money flowing into this region.”

“It’s pretty clear though,” he continued, “money has not been flowing into this region for the infrastructure for the climate change effects that we knew were inevitable because of the oil and gas industry’s activities on this coastline, even after those oil and gas industries were covering up what they knew about climate change in the ’70s.”

Rattansi asserted that as an “Al Jazeeera guy”, his job was to “get to the point.”

“You can’t make a connection between the oil and gas industry and climate change much clearer,” he said. “In the past, oil and gas companies have gotten away with sort of covertly losing their toxic waste in emergencies like this.”

“This is something we’ve been warned about for years by climate scientists,” the newsman added. “Pro Publica had a piece just last year warning something like this was about to happen in the Houston area… And there aren’t the preparations for it. And yet, so much money has been generated here.”

cut...CUT!.... CUT!!!!

Post edited by JC29856 on
  • Options
    The Cajun Navy arrived in such large numbers that they're being turned away.  
    One benefit of this is that they're instead setting up in Houston parking lots and cooking huge pots of jambalaya along with chicken, and Poboys.  That should be a nice moment of relief for folks living on crackers and MREs and for the cops and volunteers working endlessly.  

Now im hungry. 
  • Options
    JC29856 said:
    what this video! msnbc lost the feed....

https://youtu.be/ykENlBfRkEs

“It’s pretty clear something has gone wrong here,” Rattansi said of the unexpected flooding. “We’re in what’s called the Golden Triangle… the reason why it’s called the Golden Triangle is because this is the first place in the United States that they discovered large quantities of oil. And that led to the Texas oil boom and the money flowing into this region.”

“It’s pretty clear though,” he continued, “money has not been flowing into this region for the infrastructure for the climate change effects that we knew were inevitable because of the oil and gas industry’s activities on this coastline, even after those oil and gas industries were covering up what they knew about climate change in the ’70s.”

Rattansi asserted that as an “Al Jazeeera guy”, his job was to “get to the point.”

“You can’t make a connection between the oil and gas industry and climate change much clearer,” he said. “In the past, oil and gas companies have gotten away with sort of covertly losing their toxic waste in emergencies like this.”

“This is something we’ve been warned about for years by climate scientists,” the newsman added. “Pro Publica had a piece just last year warning something like this was about to happen in the Houston area… And there aren’t the preparations for it. And yet, so much money has been generated here.”

cut...CUT!.... CUT!!!!

This is a big fat juicy conspiracy I'd like to see more of.
  • Options
    JC29856 said:
    I chose the JJ Watt Youcaring fund because the stars are calling each other out to donate.  They then call out others to do the same.

I'm all for this.
    I'm all for knowing who is signing watts checks and the other athletes checks?
    McNair
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,555
    edited August 2017
    JC29856 said:

I'm all for this.
    I gave to JJWatt's fund as well as the Humane Society
    Post edited by Bentleyspop on
  • Options
    JC29856 said:

I'm all for this.
    I gave to JJWatt's fund as well as the Humane Society
    If you're in trouble or hurt or need–go to poor people. They're the only ones that'll help–the only ones.
    John Steinbeck
  • Options
    John was wrong on that one. 
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Should be Cajun Coast Guard
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    darthdarth Houston, TX Posts: 139
    Im in Houston and I'm lucky but it's bad a lot of people lost everything.  My family was lucky but have friends that have lost a lot.  Thanks to anyone on here that helps any way they can we down here in Houston appreciate it a lot!
    9/16/95; 10/14/00; 10/15/00; 10/17/00; 4/5/03; 4/6/03; 10/04/09; 11/12/12 (Ed); 11/16/13; 10/12/14
  • Options
    31 people perished

horrible
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    Sad to hear we're up to 31.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    darth said:
    Im in Houston and I'm lucky but it's bad a lot of people lost everything.  My family was lucky but have friends that have lost a lot.  Thanks to anyone on here that helps any way they can we down here in Houston appreciate it a lot!
    Glad you're safe. Such a terrible storm...
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,754
    Relief efforts will need to continue for some time.  Things to be concerned about in the coming weeks and months:

http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2017/08/if-things-werent-already-bad-enough-houston-is-about-to-face-a-public-health-nightmare/

"If Things Weren't Already Bad Enough,Houston is About to Face a Public Health Nightmare"

"In the coming weeks and even months, residents of Houston and other parts of southern Texas hit hard by Hurricane Harvey will be faced with the public health disasters that can result from dirty floodwater and landslides. The natural disaster has ostensibly turned the city into a sprawling, pathogen-infested swamp.

Up to 25 inches of rain have already accumulated in two days. Rains are expected to continue until Wednesday night, and by the end, Harvey will have dumped 40 to 50 inches on the metropolitan area. Heavy precipitation is turning entire neighborhoods into contaminated and potentially toxic rivers. For many of the city’s residents, contact with floodwater is unavoidable, putting them at risk for diarrhea-causing bacterial infections, Legionnaires’ disease and mosquito-borne viruses."

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/hurricane-harvey/harvey-danger-major-chemical-plant-near-houston-likely-explode-facility-n797581

"Harvey Danger: Major Chemical Plant Near Houston Likely to Explode, Facility Owner Warns

One of the world's largest chemical companies warned Wednesday that its flooded plant near Houston will likely catch fire and explode in the next few days — and there's nothing the company can do about it.

Arkema Group's plant in Crosby, Texas — about 20 miles northeast of Houston — was inundated by more than 40 inches of rain by Hurricane Harvey and has been without electricity since Sunday, the company, based in Colombes, France, said in a statement.

The company said it made extensive preparations for Harvey, but "the plant has never experienced flooding of this magnitude before."

The plant manufactures organic peroxides commonly used in everyday products like kitchen countertops, industrial paints, polystyrene cups and plates and PVC piping. The materials must be kept very cool, but refrigerators for the plant's low-temperature containers are out of commission, and backup generators were also swamped, meaning "the potential for a chemical reaction leading to a fire and/or explosion within the site confines is real," the company said"

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Houston Mayor really failed these people.
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,649
    unsung said:
    How so?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    unsung said:
    I feel the same way about Sandy and ALL the politicians in New York.