The Food Thread

Comments

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Placed a pre-order for a bottle of Hot Ones "The Last Dab" hot sauce today.  Hoping to have it around Christmas.  This stuff hits around 2.5 million SHU!

https://youtu.be/-zCYX0esYlo
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Motherfuckers :angry:

I've put a mental warning upon myself to not visit this thread while high and / or hungry.

Motherfuckers!

(yes, worthy of a double-dose)
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Placed a pre-order for a bottle of Hot Ones "The Last Dab" hot sauce today.  Hoping to have it around Christmas.  This stuff hits around 2.5 million SHU!

Too hot!  Don't do it lol

2.5 million SHU is enough to fuck you up!  Not fun.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    What place in Brooklyn
    gargiulo's.  right in coney island.  I was at a 65th surprise bday party and the pizza was one of 20 food items they had.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    It’s potato leek soup weather. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    dankind said:
    It’s potato leek soup weather. 
    Is that similar to a pea soup fog?
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    rgambs said:

Too hot!  Don't do it lol

2.5 million SHU is enough to fuck you up!  Not fun.
    It’s about 2-3x hotter than anything I’ve had. Closest I’ve been are the Flatliner wings from a Buffalo Wing Factory, which are made with pepper spray. I’m not sure what the dilution is for the sauce but from what I understand they can range anywhere from 850k- 1.25mil.

That was also when I was doing challenges on the regular and had a bit of a tolerance. It’s also the only wing challenge I ever failed. (Only ate 6 of the required 10).
    Too hot!  I grow Carolina Reapers and I would never mess with that kind of heat undiluted.
    A nice garden dinner tonight, butternut squash spinach carbonara with linguine and a baby spinach salad.
    Damn good!
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,588
    Will share pics tomorrow, roast pork loin, baby bok choy, pintos, fresh biscuits, and a good salad.  
    Brining the loin overnight was key...so moist you could nearly cut with your fork.  
    Holy crap, I feel like I usually feel post Thanksgiving.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,588

Lunch today?  Salad with a few hunks of that pork cut up over it.
  • Nice meal!
    That pork loin is making me drool.  And it's still breakfast time.
    Looks delicious! 

Not to disparage your culinary skills, cuz you gots 'em, but I don't believe in brining.  I have come across plenty of research that contradicts the effectiveness of brining and I just don't believe it does anything.  Liquids don't penetrate very deep into the meat, no matter how long you leave it submerged.

My first time doing it with a pork loin....and it was more moist than typically is the case with that particular piece of meat.  (At least how I cook them, which could indeed be a part of the equation!)
    For what it is worth, the brining was inspired by a Mark Peel & Nancy Silverton cookbook (suggested years ago by a board member here) and is one of the rare times I venture away from my cooking Bible (How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman) if I look at a recipe.  In this case I say 'inspired' as I did not have all of the ingredients she suggested and so I substituted based on what I had and wanted to use.
    As past James Beard nominee & winner, I will go with their inclusion to mean that brining should have some effect.  (And the positive result this time!) 

Have you tried it with pork before, or is it the concept you think does not ring true for you?

I am not sure what my skills are like (I know there are some people here who cook for a living & I am sure I am not good enough to even prep for them) but I know I love the process.  There are lots of things that i never tried to cook (yet) that require much more skill/technique that these items.

Love seeing what you all share here!

This was the book:

• HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    That slice of pork up there reminds me of something. Can't quite place it, though.

It's on the tip of my tongue.
    :rofl:
    Sandy current?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • My first time doing it with a pork loin....and it was more moist than typically is the case with that particular piece of meat.  (At least how I cook them, which could indeed be a part of the equation!)
    For what it is worth, the brining was inspired by a Mark Peel & Nancy Silverton cookbook (suggested years ago by a board member here) and is one of the rare times I venture away from my cooking Bible (How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman) if I look at a recipe.  In this case I say 'inspired' as I did not have all of the ingredients she suggested and so I substituted based on what I had and wanted to use.
    As past James Beard nominee & winner, I will go with their inclusion to mean that brining should have some effect.  (And the positive result this time!) 

Have you tried it with pork before, or is it the concept you think does not ring true for you?

I am not sure what my skills are like (I know there are some people here who cook for a living & I am sure I am not good enough to even prep for them) but I know I love the process.  There are lots of things that i never tried to cook (yet) that require much more skill/technique that these items.

Love seeing what you all share here!

I've cooked pork loin in the crock pot before.  I've been told that it's blasphemous but it tastes so good.

Put in some peppercorns, rosemary and chicken stock.

Very tasty.
    Hobbes =)

That meal looks beautiful, F Me!  I dig the knife, too.
    hedonist said:
    Hobbes =)

When you pick it up, would you get an urge to stab someone? And do you like F Me's water?

https://youtu.be/EZyC_SmS_rA

I SAW PEARL JAM
    :lol:

That is a Global knife.  Like them.

Crock pot?  Mmmm, need to bust that out of storage & get some super soup going.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Isn't it the salt in the bath that helps the meat take the liquid?

Regardless, I brine chicken and I friggen love my chicken.  If it's not broke....
    What's wrong with a pork roast in the crock pot???
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:
    Hobbes =)

When you pick it up, would you get an urge to stab someone? And do you like F Me's water?

https://youtu.be/EZyC_SmS_rA

Was dying last night!
  • rgambs said:
    What's wrong with a pork roast in the crock pot???
    I was told that it's too good a cut of meat to put in there.

I disagree.  I love it.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    edited November 2017

Yum!!
    My favorite hot sauce in the world is Matouk's (It's a West Indian product). They have different hotness levels (the hottest is fucking HOT - of course, it's from India - their idea of hot is superior to the North American concept, haha). I get it at the Great Canadian Superstore, but you can get it online too. The thing that makes this brand so good is that it's not just hotness. It has an extra subtle quality behind that heat that other kinds of hot sauces don't have. It's just plain old more flavourful than any other hot sauce I've ever tried.

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJ_Soul said:

Yum!!
    My favorite hot sauce in the world is Matouk's (It's a West Indian product). They have different hotness levels (the hottest is fucking HOT - of course, it's from India - their idea of hot is superior to the North American concept, haha). I get it at the Great Canadian Superstore, but you can get it online too. The thing that makes this brand so good is that it's not just hotness. It has an extra subtle quality behind that heat that other kinds of hot sauces don't have. It's just plain old more flavourful than any other hot sauce I've ever tried.

I'm a big fan of any hot sauce made in the Caribbean/west indies!
    My Trini buddy's dad makes the best damn hot sauces. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM