Options

The Food Thread

Comments

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,856
    Damn that sushi is straight fire. Wow.   Well done. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Looks amazing!  I am super jealous.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Round 2.
    Did mostly sashimi and didn't picture out as much.  Did take a few....poke tomorrow, I believe.

My inside out game needs lots of work.  A number of years ago I could make a mean one.  Now it was big and chunky - but tasted very good.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    Wife made one of my favorite meals. Chicken giardiniera.

• Options
    Round 2.
    Did mostly sashimi and didn't picture out as much.  Did take a few....poke tomorrow, I believe.

My inside out game needs lots of work.  A number of years ago I could make a mean one.  Now it was big and chunky - but tasted very good.

Dude...did you spend time in Japan? Your sushi game is spot on! 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    I wish!  I was learning Japanese a while back, have always intended to go and spend some good time there.
  • Options
    I wish!  I was learning Japanese a while back, have always intended to go and spend some good time there.
    Good stuff. I started to learn Japanese in 5th and 6th grade but didn’t stick with it unfortunately. Thread integrity...I do love Japanese food. Such a clean and healthy way of eating. 
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    Wife made one of my favorite meals. Chicken giardiniera.

Had me at giardiniera!
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,600
    edited February 2021
    Round 2.

Dude, this is all incredibly impressive.  Want to know more about the hand rolls, and all the rolls, of what went into them.

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Handrolls are the bombdiggity.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Handrolls....
    Have standard nori sheets and typically am using half sheets
    Have packs of soy paper sheets, which come pre-cut and very easy to use.  I have long been obsessed with soy paper hand rolls, the wife prefers nori rolls.

Generally make cones but sometimes just straight roll it up like a cigar and eat.

Make Rice or No-Rice handrolls....again, wife and I differ.  She prefers rice in there, I prefer no rice.

Ingredients have been a mixing and matching of sorts:
    • Salmon (fish cut into thin strips)
    • Tuna (fish cut into thin strips)
    • Spicy Tuna (odd pieces of tuna cut into small chunks...kewpie mayo, lemon, hot sauce, scallions, sesame oil)
    • Flying Fish Roe
    • Salmon Roe
    • Radish sprouts
    • Clover sprouts
    • Cucumbers
    • Avocado
    • Asparagus
    • Mango
    • Sushi Rice (revive the sushi rice from fridge/lay bamboo mat over boiling pot and steam rice back to temp on mat)
    • Scallions
    • Sesame Seeds
    • Kewpie Mayo
    • Wasabi (fake)

The Maki, just do what is above....in some cases put rice on outside, some in.  Hand roll = 100x easier and faster, being that it has been a long while since we used to make sushi at home frequently.  (Back in 2005-2010 in CA, hit a stage where we did this probably once a week, on top of our weekly reservation at our favorite sushi bar)

• Options
    Also - would love to find a relatively easy way to get some real wasabi but guessing that is pricey.  I think I can order from the place we ordered the fish eggs so next time may do that.  I know a few here have shared it -- real wasabi = totally different thing.
  • Options
    When we did home sushi before I would buy a small piece of salmon, yellowtail, and tuna....maybe half a pound all total.  Not 4 pounds of amazing stuff like this.  Truly a game changer.
  • Options
    I feel like we should all have dinner at f me's house before the next pj philly show.  ;)
  • Options
    The 2014 Degenerate-A-Palooza revisited....oh boy!
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I wasn't invited until the 2016 tour.

Haven't been invited back since.

:perturbed:
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    I wasn't invited until the 2016 tour.

Haven't been invited back since.

:perturbed:
    Was wrong, it was 2016 - you are right!
    Welcome any time!
  • Options
    Lunch poke bowl (no rice)

• Options
    Also - would love to find a relatively easy way to get some real wasabi but guessing that is pricey.  I think I can order from the place we ordered the fish eggs so next time may do that.  I know a few here have shared it -- real wasabi = totally different thing.
    I don't know about wasabi, but I know lots of foodie ingredients are easiest/cheapest to find as seeds to grow your own...
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    I don't know about wasabi, but I know lots of foodie ingredients are easiest/cheapest to find as seeds to grow your own...

I like that reminder -- would seem simple but I didn't think of this....I think wasabi grows in different environments but will look into it!
  • Options
    rgambs said:

I like that reminder -- would seem simple but I didn't think of this....I think wasabi grows in different environments but will look into it!
    Doesn't look like a particularly easy or hard project... definitely a labor of love that would be appreciated by a sushi snob like you lol
    Looks like maybe a good company just to get wasabi from either way.
    https://www.thewasabistore.com/thewasabistore/r6z2brm2hzzmyh45c5swst6wy955c8
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

Doesn't look like a particularly easy or hard project... definitely a labor of love that would be appreciated by a sushi snob like you lol
    Looks like maybe a good company just to get wasabi from either way.
    https://www.thewasabistore.com/thewasabistore/r6z2brm2hzzmyh45c5swst6wy955c8

Thanks for the info, good looking out!
  • Options
    A last meal from the fish stash

• Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,835
    Round 2.

That hand roll looks amazing. Great job. And you're right, eating them right after being rolled is the way to go- when the nori is still very crispy. I've never tried the soy sheets that you mentioned...might check them out.

I bought fresh Wasabi a while back and it was ridiculously expensive, but if you're dropping 300-400 on premium fish it's definitley worth it. It has to be grated and used immediately bc once it gets exposed to oxygen it starts to lose its flavor. 
  • Options
    Thanks!

Yeah I remember when you shared that you got some of the fresh wasabi.  

• Options
    HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,141
    Lemon risotto with fresh shrimp and seared scallops 

Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • Options
    RK50065RK50065 St. Louis, MO Posts: 885
    ^looks great! Basic chicken parm...

• Options
    Both look good!
  • Options
    Looks great guys!
  • Options
    Looks great guys!