Options

Photos of your guitars

Comments

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,844
    Congrats on the new guitars! 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,532
    edited May 2022
    i may or may not have done something stupid on friday.... like i need another guitar.... which i do, with p-90s, haha.
    Looking forward to the picture!  
    yeah me too. i am not sure when it will arrive. it has not shipped from gibson as of this morning.

i will give you a hint. it was one of the exclusives that are on their website currently.
    First guess was an SG for some reason when you originally posted.  Could be the Special though. 
    i went with the special. always wanted one but wanted something other than yellow or red or the rare black ones. did not want a double cut either so these came out and i had to try to get one.
    @gimmesometruth27

I thought about you at the Phoenix show tonight.  Ed brought out a Les Paul Special with P90’s tonight for Leaving Here.  Was great to hear those crunchy pickups start things off.

• Options
    BALLBOYBALLBOY Australia Posts: 992
    BALLBOY said:
    I like the unburst color.  Good call!
    I had the opportunity to get a classic that had the same pick ups for a ridiculous price of under $3000 AUD but paid more for the standard cause I wanted the flame top. Everyone I have showed it to loves the top
    i probably would have done the same. i always preferred standards over classics. not that they are too much different, but i find that the standards usually look a bit better, like as you said, with the nice flamey top.
    The great thing about the flame top is that in certain light the flame is incredible then in others you can hardly see it. 
    Eastern Creek 95,Syd 1 98,Bris 2 98, Syd 1&2 03, Reading Fest 06, Bris 1 06, London 09, Hyde Park 10, Gold Coast BDO 14
  • Options
    i may or may not have done something stupid on friday.... like i need another guitar.... which i do, with p-90s, haha.
    yeah me too. i am not sure when it will arrive. it has not shipped from gibson as of this morning.

i will give you a hint. it was one of the exclusives that are on their website currently.
    First guess was an SG for some reason when you originally posted.  Could be the Special though. 
    i went with the special. always wanted one but wanted something other than yellow or red or the rare black ones. did not want a double cut either so these came out and i had to try to get one.
    @gimmesometruth27

I thought about you at the Phoenix show tonight.  Ed brought out a Les Paul Special with P90’s tonight for Leaving Here.  Was great to hear those crunchy pickups start things off.

Ed has also been playing a Les Paul but it has 6 knobs on it, is that correct or am I seeing things. Can you confirm this, he hasn't used a LP much over the years 
    Eastern Creek 95,Syd 1 98,Bris 2 98, Syd 1&2 03, Reading Fest 06, Bris 1 06, London 09, Hyde Park 10, Gold Coast BDO 14
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    DewieCox said:
    DewieCox said:
    Black or Olive Drab?
    olive drab
    Was just trying to talk myself into one of those. Cool look
    i think so too. i think it would look cooler when it ages a bit, kind of like cornell's 335. i could put clear knobs and some thumb bleeders on it as an homage to him or something. i just want to hear what p-90s sound like through my amps. i have been waiting a long time for that, haha.
    There's nothing like a great special can't wait for pics
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,152

@gimmesometruth27

ah man that's awesome! i was actually supposed to be there last night but a few weeks ago i accepted a new job so i had to get a refund on my san diego and phoenix tickets. when i bought them the shows were back to back but the rescheduled dates did not line up so it was either do one show or no shows since i couldn't do both. if one of them were on a friday or saturday i could have gone. still have st louis tickets so that is a relief.

i never knew he played a special. i have seen him play teles, that schecter he had, some sgs, and a few les pauls. cool that he is playing a special.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    BALLBOY said:
    BALLBOY said:
    I like the unburst color.  Good call!
    I had the opportunity to get a classic that had the same pick ups for a ridiculous price of under $3000 AUD but paid more for the standard cause I wanted the flame top. Everyone I have showed it to loves the top
    i probably would have done the same. i always preferred standards over classics. not that they are too much different, but i find that the standards usually look a bit better, like as you said, with the nice flamey top.
    The great thing about the flame top is that in certain light the flame is incredible then in others you can hardly see it. 
    that is how you know it is a good one. some of the ones i have seen are almost too flamey. it is cool that one angle gives you the good flame and another angle is a little more subtle.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    BALLBOY said:

@gimmesometruth27

Ed has also been playing a Les Paul but it has 6 knobs on it, is that correct or am I seeing things. Can you confirm this, he hasn't used a LP much over the years 
    that is probably one of the pete townshend ones. he has a few different ones with the pete specs. i think they are les paul classics with a 3rd humbucker added which created the need for more  knobs and switches. he plays a pete les paul in immagine in cornice during the soundcheck that they show in the movie. if i remember correctly he plays immortality with it in that scene.

• Options
    static111 said:
    DewieCox said:
    DewieCox said:
    Black or Olive Drab?
    olive drab
    Was just trying to talk myself into one of those. Cool look
    i think so too. i think it would look cooler when it ages a bit, kind of like cornell's 335. i could put clear knobs and some thumb bleeders on it as an homage to him or something. i just want to hear what p-90s sound like through my amps. i have been waiting a long time for that, haha.
    There's nothing like a great special can't wait for pics
    me neither. it is supposed to be delivered here at some point this afternoon. luckily i have the rest of the day off so i can be home to sign for it.

• Options
    BALLBOY said:

@gimmesometruth27

that is probably one of the pete townshend ones. he has a few different ones with the pete specs. i think they are les paul classics with a 3rd humbucker added which created the need for more  knobs and switches. he plays a pete les paul in immagine in cornice during the soundcheck that they show in the movie. if i remember correctly he plays immortality with it in that scene.
    Yes & he plays it on Come Back, the only time I have seen him with one 
  • Options
    here is my review of the olive drab les paul special.

i am really impressed with it. the quality control is much better than i expected. the finish isn't as ugly as i thought it would be. looks really nice in person, but the lacquer is a little thicker than i would have liked. i was hoping it would check and wear away as the years go on but the glossy nitro may not do that. it is glossy. i would have preferred it to be a little flatter or have a satin kind of feel, but the gloss is good enough for me.  the fretboard is bound, which is a nice touch. the wrap around tailpiece is going to take some getting used to. the strings seem to be a little slinkier than i expected and i think it is because there are no dedicated saddles like on a tune o matic bridge and stop bar tailpiece. it is really bright and resonant when playing unplugged. plugged in the p-90s sing. if i play with the neck pickup volume rocked back you get that classic eddie vedder esque clean sound like from his old tele. the bridge pickup roars and cleans up nicely. i played it with my old marshall and my matchless. i think it sounds better with the matchless, but sounds really good with both. it does clean tones and overdriven tones really well and is very versatile. it is a lightweight, simple, rock machine.

i was impressed with how clean the routs looked, and the pickup control cavity was really cleanly routed and soldered. it has the vintage style orange capacitors, which i always liked. the only thing i could think of to complain about was the fretboard was kind of dry. a little lemon oil took care of that easily.

all in all, i am really impressed with it and at this point i am happy i got it. my only question is why has it taken me 28 years to get something with p-90s in it? pics to follow.

• Options

• Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,387
    Well it looks beautiful. I love all the olive drab releases. Probably the ES the most, but this thing is awesome
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889

great guitar!  look at schroeder for an adjustable wraparound if the slinkiness and feel of the non intonatable bridge take more getting used to than you'd like..  Best one I've used.  There are some others that get the job done but the Schroeder stuff is top class.  Also helps get the intonation that much more accurate.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    Well it looks beautiful. I love all the olive drab releases. Probably the ES the most, but this thing is awesome
    thanks! i kinda like the olive drab v. if i did not already have a white v i might have gotten that one instead. i love the ES ones but they are kind of expensive for me at the moment. if i were playing less hard rock and punk i would definitely give the 335 a look at some point.

• Options
    static111 said:

great guitar!  look at schroeder for an adjustable wraparound if the slinkiness and feel of the non intonatable bridge take more getting used to than you'd like..  Best one I've used.  There are some others that get the job done but the Schroeder stuff is top class.  Also helps get the intonation that much more accurate.
    i know gibson was putting the wraparound tailpieces on some of the juniors and specials that had a little raised area kind of like a lightning bold on the tailpiece. i was assuming that is what this one would have but it is rounded with nothing on the tailpiece. i will definitely give the schroeder a look if i need to look at another tailpiece. thanks for the recommendation!

• Options
    Love the olive drab color in the special and 335.  

How do you like the chunky neck ?
  • Options
    Love the olive drab color in the special and 335.  

How do you like the chunky neck ?
    i think it looks cool on the specials too. actually all of them but the LP standard for some reason.

i like it. i like chunky necks. the tele i had made for me was a baseball bat with a v from the nut to about the 9th fret and flattened out from there. this to me feels like it is in between a 50s and 60s. maybe not as big as a 50s but definitely not as thin as a 60s.

• Options
    Nice.  It took me some time to get used to the chunky neck. Good to have some variety.  
  • Options
    Got a message from FedEx that a guitar I ordered back in 2020 is out for delivery.  Can’t wait.  Will post pics.
  • Options
    BO175983BO175983 Posts: 62
    Got a message from FedEx that a guitar I ordered back in 2020 is out for delivery.  Can’t wait.  Will post pics.
    You ordered it in 2020? Did they walk it across the country? 
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,700
    BO175983 said:
    You ordered it in 2020? Did they walk it across the country? 

driver shortage
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    You both are close.  I had it commissioned to be made out of sinker wood from the Rio de la Plata river in Argentina to celebrate the great 2015 La Plata PJ show.  It took many months to dry out without losing all of the pollution qualities.  Then it was logistics issues from there.   

The other possibility is that PRS was just really, really backed up even with just a standard core model.  
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    oh man that is gonna be awesome! can't wait to see it!

• Options
    Guitar delivered.  Got a PRS McCarty 594 Orange Tiger.  I played for three minutes and out of the box it is the best first playing experience out of everything I have bought. Love it. Was worried about a bigger neck but comparable to a 1959 Gibson style so was happy with it.  Finish and feel on the neck are great.  Have a couple concerns though that I was surprised about.  

• Options
    Check out this inlay on the 15th fret.  How did this pass inspection?

• Options
    Then there is some gray stuff under the bridge volume knob

• Options
    BO175983BO175983 Posts: 62
    Looks awesome.. congrats
  • Options
    I am torn.  Love the guitar. Don’t want to send it back.  But it was expensive and PRS’s already lose plenty of value right away and then especially with flaws.  I will see that inlay issue every time.  I think the gray stuff under the knob could probably be buffed out I would think.  

I am lazy and just don’t want to send back but maybe I will call/email PRS and get their thoughts.  

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,844
    I would definitely call and tell them, maybe they will give you some money back.   Beautiful guitar.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......