Options

The Pizza Thread

Comments

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,131
    CROJAM95 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    How would the filter alter the taste?  That makes no sense.  
    owner of Grimaldis was on local news last night crying about it, freakin pizzerias all hide tremendous amounts of cash from you know who .....prob doesnt want o pay the $20k or so

Cash business.  Hell yeah.  Problem is everyone likes to pay with card now...
  • Options
    I saw this last night and laughed.  Ketchup commercial.

https://youtu.be/MZdIA7fHkUA
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,206

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,278
    Little Vincent’s Huntington, LI

meatball, so good. Sauce, crust always perfect imo 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,685
    Looks like your friend needs a slice
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    He’s very nosy when it comes to pizza, he starts doing his happy dance 
  • Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,549
    CROJAM95 said:
    It's a good thing he is small. My wife's dog is big enough to snag the entire box off of a counter.
  • Options
    CROJAM95 said:
    It's a good thing he is small. My wife's dog is big enough to snag the entire box off of a counter.
    You gotta be careful with larger dogs, never keep anything on top of the oven/stove… heard some horror stories from more than one person in the pursuit of food stovetop accidently turned on, good thing people were home 

• Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,549
    CROJAM95 said:
    CROJAM95 said:
    You gotta be careful with larger dogs, never keep anything on top of the oven/stove… heard some horror stories from more than one person in the pursuit of food stovetop accidently turned on, good thing people were home 

Oh yeah, we are careful where we put anything.
  • Options
    CROJAM95 said:
    Little Vincent’s Huntington, LI

meatball, so good. Sauce, crust always perfect imo 
    We really do have great pizza on Long Island.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,559
    never had a meatball pizza :bawling:

had a papa murphy’s take n bake calzone last night. whoop dee do.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,361
    Wobbie said:
    never had a meatball pizza :bawling:

had a papa murphy’s take n bake calzone last night. whoop dee do.
    They're generally tasty. Throw a little ricotta cheese on there...whoa boy. Now we have got a party. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
    edited July 2023
    I used to be a no ketchup on hot dogs person - vehemently.  Because I think ketchup is a garbage condiment. But what I didn't realize was it's not ketchup that's garbage -  it's Heinz, Hunts, & all that other HFCS tomato flavored spread this country passes off for ketchup that's garbage. I found good ketchup and it opened a new world for me.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,559
    I used to be a no ketchup on hot dogs person - vehemently.  Because I think ketchup is a garbage condiment. But what I didn't realize was it's not ketchup that's garbage -  it's Heinz, Hunts, & all that other HFCS tomato flavored spread this country passes off for ketchup that's garbage. I found good ketchup and it opened a new world for me.
    what’s “good ketchup”? free range, organic I’m guessing.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,231
    Wobbie said:
    Probably no high fructose corn syrup.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Heinz or STFU. LOL
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,685
    We have two ketchup at home
    "Real" ketchup from Mrs FMe and Heinz, for me.  
    Same with mustard, although I have a few types.  

Ketchup without sugar is no Bueno, imo.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
    Wobbie said:
    Portlandia & Yo Mama's are the two I've found I like. They actually taste like what I imagine ketchup could've tasted like all these years - with the fruit of the tomato being the dominant flavor.  More loose of a consistency than the Heinz/Hunts gels and they have a little bit of texture to them.
  • Options
    We have two ketchup at home
    "Real" ketchup from Mrs FMe and Heinz, for me.  
    Same with mustard, although I have a few types.  

Ketchup without sugar is no Bueno, imo.

Simply Heinz has no HFCS. Same with us, one bottle of Ketchup and 6 mustards.
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,495

A South Jersey BYOB just got named one of the best pizzerias in America — by Italians

And Razza in Jersey City was ranked second best in the country.

A South Jersey BYOB was named one of the best pizzerias in America on Tuesday, in a Manhattan ceremony presided over by Italian pizza experts.

Bricco Coal Fired Pizza had, of course, already received plenty of acclaim for its long-proofed, char-spotted pies laden with Adriatic tomatoes, served out of a little pizzeria in the Westmont section of Haddon Township.

Last year, a travel site named chef and owner Vincenzo Barone’s meticulous charcoal-cooked pizza the fourth best in America and among the best in the world.

This was different, Barone said. 

The Top 50 Pizza awards are presided over by culinary experts from Barone's native country of Italy — judges who arrived anonymously, and ate without his knowing. Bricco's pies, whose dough is proofed 72 hours and leavened only with the yeast in the air, had come in at No. 45 in the country last year. The shop jumped up 17 places this year.

Bricco is known for its coal-fired, brick-oven pizza, but the Westmont eatery also makes great wings.
    The awards ceremony left him humbled to the point of anxiety, he said.

“Some of the people in this room,” Barone said. “I mean, Tony Gemignani. I’ve been following him since I was a kid. I got to rub elbows with Massimo Bottura.”

For those at home, that’s the Tony of Tony’s Pizza Napoletana in San Francisco, a World Pizza Champion so many times it’s unlucky to say how many (13). Tony’s was No. 4 on the list this year.

Meanwhile, Bottura is an Italian fine-dining chef who seems to collect Michelin stars as easily as some chefs get stars on Yelp.

For Barone, this was better than hanging out with Mick Jagger, or Bruce Springsteen. Maybe better than the award itself. 

Vincenzo Barone stands with world-renowned chef Massimo Bottura, after his Haddon Township pizzeria, Bricco Coal-Fired, was awarded a prize as 28th best pizzeria in America from Italian organization Top 50 Pizza.
    Bricco was one of only two pizzerias in New Jersey to be named among the country’s best by the Top 50 organization. Famed pizzeria Razza, in Jersey City — which also made the list last year — was ranked second in America, behind only New York’s Una Pizza Napoletana.

Philadelphia, whose Pizzeria Beddia made the list in 2022, was shut out entirely this year. As was the entire state of Pennsylvania. No pizzeria in neighboring Delaware made the list, either — though one Maryland pizzeria, Inferno Pizzeria Napoletana in Gaithersberg, was also named.

Ten of the pizzas were in New York. And perhaps unsurprisingly the pizzas to receive awards from Italian pizza experts were mostly Neapolitan-influenced pies.

An Italian and American path to pizza for Vincenzo Barone
    But though he was born in Naples, Barone considers his pizza resolutely American. He makes coal-fired pie, the way American Italians made their pizzas a century ago when they couldn’t afford the price of wood.

He loves coal for the high heat output, he said, not just the American tradition. 

He learned to make pizza from his family, the old-fashioned way: by feel, by touching the dough. Indeed, his brother Giovanni still runs their father’s old shop, Villa Barone, a mile away down Haddon Avenue in Collingswood.

To make the charcoal-fired pizza at Bricco, Vincenzo Barone struck out on his own, experimenting with dough after dough, tomato after tomato. He mixes Italian doppio with a high protein flour. He spurns San Marzanos to source his tomatoes on the East side of Italy, from a farm on the Adriatic Sea. 

He cooks longer and more slowly than Neapolitan, to develop the crust. He leopard-spots his pizzas to the edge of char, or even past it.

Vincenzo Barone says the dough makes Bricco’s pizza stand out. Made only from flour, water, sea salt and yeast, it’s then baked in a coal-fired oven (above) that ranges from 900 to 1,000 degrees.

He proofs his dough 72 hours, but must also attend to the weather each day. Is it hot? Is it humid? The dough will be different. The hydration will be different. He wakes up at night thinking about his dough.

He knows that it will not be the same each day. Each day, it is what it is. His dough is like the weather.

“We still don't know who the judges were. I’m just grateful that whenever that person came in, the dough gods were in my favor. And they had a good pizza,” Barone said.

On the way home from winning the award, all Barone could think was that he needed to change his pizza completely. 

It isn’t good enough, he thought. The dough is never good enough. 

While in Manhattan to accept the prize, he was already talking to his flour supplier about new kinds of flour, different methods, new samples to experiment with. 

“I just won an award,” Barone said. “You’d think I could enjoy the moment. But all I can think about is how to make the pizza better.”

Matthew Korfhage is a Philadelphia-based reporter with USA Today Network. Email him at mkorfhage@gannett.com or follow him on Twitter at @matthewkorfhage.
  • Options
    Live close to this place and like it - if you dine in.  Not good for take away.  Wouldn't rank it as one of best in NJ, although is really good. 
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,256
    I love pizza, but I can't have dairy anymore. Pizza without dairy is a flatbread, right? I was thinking of a whole wheat/chestnut crust. I haven't made it, but it sounds like it could work.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    Ms. Haiku said:
    I love pizza, but I can't have dairy anymore. Pizza without dairy is a flatbread, right? I was thinking of a whole wheat/chestnut crust. I haven't made it, but it sounds like it could work.
    Pizza without dairy is a cracker with sauce...
  • Options
    Ms. Haiku said:
    Pizza without dairy is a cracker with sauce...

Some people love cracker pizza
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,598

Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    23scidoo said:

This doesn't look appealing to me.

What's going on here Scidoo?
  • Options
    Crust looks good.  Is that prosciutto there strewn haphazardly across?  :)
    I would eat that.  Perhaps cook a bit longer....but it looks decent.
  • Options
    That's what throws me off.  The meat looks out of place.
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,277
    That's what throws me off.  The meat looks out of place.

This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,361
    edited July 2023
    Ms. Haiku said:
    Have you ever had tomato pie? This place makes the best tomato pies if you are ever in the Philly area

https://conshybakery.com/best-bakery-products/best-tomato-pies-pizza/

I used to live down the street and the smell from just walking by the place was enough to make you start salivating...

Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg