Options

The Pizza Thread

Comments

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,899
    @The Juggler your ooni skills are way above mine.  Any tips?  We seem to burn the damn crust every time.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,040
    mcgruff10 said:
    @The Juggler your ooni skills are way above mine.  Any tips?  We seem to burn the damn crust every time.
    ooni is what they are called.

I need to look that up.  If it's so hot it can make a damn pizza!
  • Options
    mookieblalockmookieblalock Posts: 3,178
    You gotta extend that cheese outward more. Looking good!
    How's about I extend YOU outward more?

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,307
    mcgruff10 said:
    Is the bottom of yours usually done? You want to see some black spots down there. 

I get it to over 700-800 degrees. Toss it in and immediately turn the heat all the way down (saw on some facebook group that this is the trick). Then basically just rotate the pizza every 30 seconds or so until it looks done. I also put it on the right side of the oven, but not sure if that makes a big deal. 

I did not make the dough for these pizza's though.

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,307
    That little damn oven gets 700 degrees to make a pizza?
    Oh yeah, easy. You can get it up over 900. Can easily cook the whole pizza in like 30 seconds at that temp.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,899
    Ok good advice.  The top gets burnt bad, not the bottom.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,635
    Yeah mine goes 900+, I get it too hot.  :lol:  
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,471
    Big Green Egg makes killer pizza.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419
    The pineapple gatekeeping amongst the pizza community - not just in this thread, but everywhere - is absolutely obnoxious.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,635
    Because I don't like pineapple much?
    (I did admit to eating it and/or just picking it off the pizza and eating a ham pizza.)  #itisstillpizza

• Options
    The pineapple gatekeeping amongst the pizza community - not just in this thread, but everywhere - is absolutely obnoxious.
    Tired: looking down upon people for having pineapple on top of their pizza.

Wired: looking down upon people for having a full salad on a pizza crust.
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,832
    I'd like a thinly sliced pineapple thats a little carmelized on top. I think the turn off for some is the acidity of the sauce and acidity of pineapple. Maybe pineapple/ham on a white slice with no garlic. Could be good.
  • Options
    My younger son is getting "pineapple curious" with pizza. Not really feeling so good about this...
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,904
    Loujoe said:
    I'd like a thinly sliced pineapple thats a little carmelized on top. I think the turn off for some is the acidity of the sauce and acidity of pineapple. Maybe pineapple/ham on a white slice with no garlic. Could be good.
    For me it is also about the size of the pineapple. I don’t like the huge slabs or chunks of pineapple. They need to be smaller cut, and yes - if they are a bit camelized that is even better. Also, there needs to be a good ratio of ham to pineapple. You have to get them both in the same bite for the sweet and salty combo. 
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Eat whatever you like on your pizza.  I cringe when my daughter orders BBQ chicken, bacon ranch, or chicken marsala pizza. But really, small things, it's just pizza. Go crazy.
  • Options
    Get_Right said:
    Eat whatever you like on your pizza.  I cringe when my daughter orders BBQ chicken, bacon ranch, or chicken marsala pizza. But really, small things, it's just pizza. Go crazy.
    I once had “cheese fry pizza” at 2 am drunk on the Jersey Shore. 
  • Options
    Pizza place by me was really good. Nice people too. Now they have someone else making the pizzas and not good. So I'd like to tell them but really can't. I just go somewhere else.
  • Options
    Get_Right said:
    No.  You have to have pizza snobs.  BBQ chicken on a pizza is not a pizza anymore, tsk tsk. lol

I enjoy giving people hell about pizza toppings, it makes for a fun ribbing and convo.
  • Options
    Loujoe said:
    Pizza place by me was really good. Nice people too. Now they have someone else making the pizzas and not good. So I'd like to tell them but really can't. I just go somewhere else.
    The worst is when they change who makes the pizzas.  We had a place we loved by us.  Sesame seed crust, great sauce, dough cooked right.  They changed cooks/chef's/pizza maker and the dough was always uncooked and the sauce too runny.    We tried ordering it well done but that didn't help either... Stopped going to that place.
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,238
    Get_Right said:
    AKA the Snooki Special.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    Get_Right said:
    AKA the Snooki Special.
    I was 8 drinks in and thought it was good. On the other hand Totino’s pizza rolls and hot dogs taste good after 8 drinks. 
  • Options
    5 drinks taste awesome after 8 drinks
  • Options
    Loujoe said:
    The worst is when they change who makes the pizzas.  We had a place we loved by us.  Sesame seed crust, great sauce, dough cooked right.  They changed cooks/chef's/pizza maker and the dough was always uncooked and the sauce too runny.    We tried ordering it well done but that didn't help either... Stopped going to that place.
    I think it's their son too. Soooo. Went tonight anyway. Still a little south of meh. 
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    edited June 2023
    Get_Right said:
    No.  You have to have pizza snobs.  BBQ chicken on a pizza is not a pizza anymore, tsk tsk. lol

I enjoy giving people hell about pizza toppings, it makes for a fun ribbing and convo.

Eh I am a sushi snob.  But pizza, go crazy. I had a cheesesteak pizza once. It was good. Needed ranch LOL. And PS I grew up in CT which has the best pizza on the planet.

Post edited by Get_Right on
  • Options
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:

Eh I am a sushi snob.  But pizza, go crazy. I had a cheesesteak pizza once. It was good. Needed ranch LOL. And PS I grew up in CT which has the best pizza on the planet.

Right there with you.
  • Options

Had company over tonight and made a bunch of pies. I tired lowering temp to 450 after letting it sit at 700 for an hour. Seemed to cook the crust more evenly .
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,904

Had company over tonight and made a bunch of pies. I tired lowering temp to 450 after letting it sit at 700 for an hour. Seemed to cook the crust more evenly .
    Those look great. I like when the cheese is a bit well done. 
  • Options
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:

Huh? To all of this. Ranch? Is this what people do to our signature sandwich?

• Options
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:

So you're delusional too, that's ok, lol.

How can one be a sushi snob?  I have never had poor sushi.  I will admit I don't care for eel sauce and the other stuff they top them with.  
  • Options
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:

So you're delusional too, that's ok, lol.

How can one be a sushi snob?  I have never had poor sushi.  I will admit I don't care for eel sauce and the other stuff they top them with.  
    The range in sushi is huge.  You have meals for 400-500 per person (or even more) to all you can eat for 19.