Options

The Pizza Thread

Comments

• Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    Eat whatever you like on your pizza.  I cringe when my daughter orders BBQ chicken, bacon ranch, or chicken marsala pizza. But really, small things, it's just pizza. Go crazy.
    No.  You have to have pizza snobs.  BBQ chicken on a pizza is not a pizza anymore, tsk tsk. lol

I enjoy giving people hell about pizza toppings, it makes for a fun ribbing and convo.

Eh I am a sushi snob.  But pizza, go crazy. I had a cheesesteak pizza once. It was good. Needed ranch LOL. And PS I grew up in CT which has the best pizza on the planet.

So you're delusional too, that's ok, lol.

How can one be a sushi snob?  I have never had poor sushi.  I will admit I don't care for eel sauce and the other stuff they top them with.  

I will only eat sushi from very specific places. No california rolls. No avocado.
  • Options
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    Eat whatever you like on your pizza.  I cringe when my daughter orders BBQ chicken, bacon ranch, or chicken marsala pizza. But really, small things, it's just pizza. Go crazy.
    No.  You have to have pizza snobs.  BBQ chicken on a pizza is not a pizza anymore, tsk tsk. lol

I enjoy giving people hell about pizza toppings, it makes for a fun ribbing and convo.

Eh I am a sushi snob.  But pizza, go crazy. I had a cheesesteak pizza once. It was good. Needed ranch LOL. And PS I grew up in CT which has the best pizza on the planet.

How can one be a sushi snob?  I have never had poor sushi.  I will admit I don't care for eel sauce and the other stuff they top them with.  
    The range in sushi is huge.  You have meals for 400-500 per person (or even more) to all you can eat for 19.  

I do not require high end omakase, although I love it. But I generally do not eat pre-made sushi in any shape or form. Once in a blue moon I might grab a shrimp tempura roll from Whole Foods.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,667
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:

The range in sushi is huge.  You have meals for 400-500 per person (or even more) to all you can eat for 19.  

I do not require high end omakase, although I love it. But I generally do not eat pre-made sushi in any shape or form. Once in a blue moon I might grab a shrimp tempura roll from Whole Foods.
    I actually am OK with garbage rolls at this point....so long as they are a Wegmans or something cheap that doesn't represent itself as anything it is not.
    My chief gripe is places that pretend that have bomb sushi and their sashimi makes me pass just on sight.  I used to not even go to those places and only do high end.  Now, having a kid, I can just accept shitty rice and average fish to below average fish, if I am just having lunch.

Have had some meals with folks here where the sushi was to die for.  I'd argue as good as any in America.  However, I've not been to the source and I know you've got that experience. 

Pizza is greatly varied, although not as much in cost.  We ordered 6 large pies for my kids birthday party and it was $100.  It was not a fancy place but average.  Average in NJ means in CA for a delivery place it would rule.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,667
    edited June 2023
    (I also adjusted away from almost strictly no-rice options as part of the omakase.)  I enjoyed it more having high standards, but I didn't have kids around then and didn't care too much about the cost. 

Kids do love pizza, though!  (Back to pizza talk on the pizza thread!)
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:

I actually am OK with garbage rolls at this point....so long as they are a Wegmans or something cheap that doesn't represent itself as anything it is not.
    My chief gripe is places that pretend that have bomb sushi and their sashimi makes me pass just on sight.  I used to not even go to those places and only do high end.  Now, having a kid, I can just accept shitty rice and average fish to below average fish, if I am just having lunch.

Have had some meals with folks here where the sushi was to die for.  I'd argue as good as any in America.  However, I've not been to the source and I know you've got that experience. 

Pizza is greatly varied, although not as much in cost.  We ordered 6 large pies for my kids birthday party and it was $100.  It was not a fancy place but average.  Average in NJ means in CA for a delivery place it would rule.

Well here is the situation. My wife is Japanese. My kids were raised Japanese, they speak and write fluently. Great grandma and Great grandpa owned a sushi store ironically serving pre-made sushi to commuters.  I have been to Tsukiji 18 times. I live in New York and was fortunate to dine many times at Yasuda when he was at the top of his game. Once you get to that level, it is hard to grab cold sushi rice out of a cooler. I won't pay $500 for sushi (although I might for real wagyu) but I am lucky that I have a local place that makes a killer sushi deluxe for about $65.

Pizza is a whole different story. I grew up in CT.  I had Pepe's and Sally's before I was ten. I also love greek pies with the sweeter sauce, cooked in a deeper pan, and cut in squares.  Whenever I travel through CT I get one to bring home.  Weighs like 5 pounds LOL. College probably ruined me for pizza.  Almost anything tastes good after ten beers and a bong hit.

And you are lucky.  Pies are $20 up here for a plain cheese. Birthday parties always cost me $200.

• Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,551
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:

Well here is the situation. My wife is Japanese. My kids were raised Japanese, they speak and write fluently. Great grandma and Great grandpa owned a sushi store ironically serving pre-made sushi to commuters.  I have been to Tsukiji 18 times. I live in New York and was fortunate to dine many times at Yasuda when he was at the top of his game. Once you get to that level, it is hard to grab cold sushi rice out of a cooler. I won't pay $500 for sushi (although I might for real wagyu) but I am lucky that I have a local place that makes a killer sushi deluxe for about $65.

Pizza is a whole different story. I grew up in CT.  I had Pepe's and Sally's before I was ten. I also love greek pies with the sweeter sauce, cooked in a deeper pan, and cut in squares.  Whenever I travel through CT I get one to bring home.  Weighs like 5 pounds LOL. College probably ruined me for pizza.  Almost anything tastes good after ten beers and a bong hit.

And you are lucky.  Pies are $20 up here for a plain cheese. Birthday parties always cost me $200.

Can you post a picture of the Greek pies please??
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options

• Options

• Options

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,089
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:

I will only eat sushi from very specific places. No california rolls. No avocado.
    I get it then.  After reading your family history.  Thanks for explaining.

I won't eat sushi from a Wegmans or an airport.  I like to see the fish in the coolers and like I said I have been very fortunate in my travels and sushi places.  There was a place in AZ that I was really cautious of trying but very glad that I did.  I chatted w the owner about his fish and the freshness.  He had it flown in from Cali. I'm a big fan of tako su and do let the chef make what they'd like sometimes (omakase). 

Not sure why avocado is a no go?  About the only thing I won't have on sushi is Marlin.  I had it once but felt guilty afterwards.
  • Options
    Get_Right said:

I would eat this.  The square cut would drive me mad but it looks delicious.
  • Options
    Get_Right said:

Omg!!..lol..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options

EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options
    Get_Right said:

Hate to say it, but the middle slices are knife and fork. It is so good.
  • Options
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:

I won't eat sushi from a Wegmans or an airport.  I like to see the fish in the coolers and like I said I have been very fortunate in my travels and sushi places.  There was a place in AZ that I was really cautious of trying but very glad that I did.  I chatted w the owner about his fish and the freshness.  He had it flown in from Cali. I'm a big fan of tako su and do let the chef make what they'd like sometimes (omakase). 

Not sure why avocado is a no go?  About the only thing I won't have on sushi is Marlin.  I had it once but felt guilty afterwards.

There was no avocado in Japan. It is an American adaptation.  Yeah I have had whale and horse in Japan. Conflicting moral issues but I always give respect to my host. Whale was very fishy and the horse tasted like a good wallet smells LOL.
  • Options
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:

There was no avocado in Japan. It is an American adaptation.  Yeah I have had whale and horse in Japan. Conflicting moral issues but I always give respect to my host. Whale was very fishy and the horse tasted like a good wallet smells LOL.
    Ahhh got it.  Whale and horse i would take a pass on.  I might have to change my mind on tako also.  That Octopus Teacher movie really got me...
  • Options
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:

Blasphemous...That's like eating Sicilian slices w a fork.
  • Options
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:

Blasphemous...That's like eating Sicilian slices w a fork.

There is always the option to get greasy! Lots of olive oil!
  • Options
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:

Ahhh got it.  Whale and horse i would take a pass on.  I might have to change my mind on tako also.  That Octopus Teacher movie really got me...

Not even the strangest thing I have been served. Look up Sirako.

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Had some delicious Giordano's in Las Vegas last weekend. Love their pizza - we go there every time we're in Chicago or LV.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:

Wow, 18 times.  
    That is badass.

• Options
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:

Wow, 18 times.  
    That is badass.

I am quite fortunate. Never seen Paris, Madrid, Copenhagen, Amsterdam or Prague.  But I have experienced the best Japan has to offer. Is a family thing.
  • Options
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:

Wow, 18 times.  
    That is badass.

I am quite fortunate. Never seen Paris, Madrid, Copenhagen, Amsterdam or Prague.  But I have experienced the best Japan has to offer. Is a family thing.
    One of my bucket list items, for sure.
  • Options
    Get_Right said:

If you ever come to Greece, this is what you get when you order a pie..and this guy makes the best pies in my town..

Food Mood
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:

Wow, 18 times.  
    That is badass.

One of my bucket list items, for sure.
    There's always Oistins in Barbados if you can't make it there.
  • Options
    23scidoo said:
    Get_Right said:

If you ever come to Greece, this is what you get when you order a pie..and this guy makes the best pies in my town..

Food Mood
    That literally looks like pie.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,861
    The pineapple gatekeeping amongst the pizza community - not just in this thread, but everywhere - is absolutely obnoxious.
    I think it's hilarious. Love grossing them out. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    The pineapple gatekeeping amongst the pizza community - not just in this thread, but everywhere - is absolutely obnoxious.
    Say No To pineapple On Pizza Funny Pineapple Pizza Button  Zazzle
  • Options

Put whatever you want on pizza.  It's like the ketchup thing on hot dogs. I like ketchup on hot dogs. Ketchup, mustard, relish and onions. A New England thing.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,861
    Get_Right said:

Put whatever you want on pizza.  It's like the ketchup thing on hot dogs. I like ketchup on hot dogs. Ketchup, mustard, relish and onions. A New England thing.
    I was heavily shamed when I said I grew up having ketchup on hot dogs. all the american baseball purists were like "MUSTARD ONLY!" or whatever it was. kinda funny. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com