Options

The Pizza Thread

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,657
    I like a topping or two.  Sometimes a classic is a classic for a reason 
    I actually used to like lots of toppings but now really only go for that on a very thin or crispy crust pie since it otherwise seems to make the crust soggy as fuck.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,315
    Will be indulging in New Wayne Pizza pizza and Stromboli's tomorrow night at the brother's estate. All time favorite pizza place from where I grew up. Can't wait 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
    I like a topping or two.  Sometimes a classic is a classic for a reason 
    I actually used to like lots of toppings but now really only go for that on a very thin or crispy crust pie since it otherwise seems to make the crust soggy as fuck.
    I’m usually a one or two topping person (typically one meat and/or one veggie but not always). But yeah sometimes you just can’t beat a plain pie. It’s universal.
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    Plain cheese is for kids. Toppings are a must, even if it’s just one. I don’t get too crazy, but whether it’s sausage, pepperoni, etc., gotta have something. My observation is that east coasters are much more into plain cheese. The toppings aren’t to mask a bad pie (like the A1 comparison), but rather to make any pie better. Plain cheese only does so much. 
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    Plain cheese is for kids. Toppings are a must, even if it’s just one. I don’t get too crazy, but whether it’s sausage, pepperoni, etc., gotta have something. My observation is that east coasters are much more into plain cheese. The toppings aren’t to mask a bad pie (like the A1 comparison), but rather to make any pie better. Plain cheese only does so much. 
    Agreed. Elevate the pizza with some great tasting toppings- but not so many they get lost in the jumble.

Maybe it’s a personality thing? The east coasters are kinda boring. Super nice and simple, but the kind of people that only listen to the first 2 or 3 songs off an album they purchase- only to press start again and replay the same 2 or 3 songs again. And a plain pizza might just fit their vanilla lifestyle?

I dunno. I’m just trying to hypothesize in the pizza thread.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Plain pizza is plain.
    It lacks flavor balance, unless the sauce is overly bold, which is a problem itself.
    Get something with some salt and umami in there, for goodness' sake.
    Especially if it's mozzarella cheese only! 
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    I’m an east coaster and I like toppings. Most people I know do. I also don’t have the “New York rules of pizza” indoctrinated in me. For that I am extremely thankful. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,914
    What are these rules you speak of?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Plain pizza is plain.
    It lacks flavor and texture balance, unless the sauce is overly bold, which is a problem itself.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,657
    Basil is a topping.  ;)
    I was never a pizza snob and used to make fun of my NJ born and raised wife being one

Moved to NJ and 7 years later am a full on pizza snob.  Happy to wear it now that I know what consistent excellence tastes like.
  • Options
    Oh shit... I get the sense Scruffy is somewhere pretending to be in the moment with some boring east coast company talking about the local weather patterns for the past decade, but secretly reading the pizza thread on his cellular phone... face getting red... and steam is starting to whistle out his ears.

He’s going to feign a bathroom break and rip us ‘topping people’ a new one.
  • Options
    Basil is a topping.  ;)
    I was never a pizza snob and used to make fun of my NJ born and raised wife being one

Moved to NJ and 7 years later am a full on pizza snob.  Happy to wear it now that I know what consistent excellence tastes like.
    Preach Brett!
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    Plain pizza is plain.
    It lacks flavor and texture balance, unless the sauce is overly bold, which is a problem itself.
    Sounds like you have not had good plain pizza. 
  • Options
    Basil is a topping.  ;)

Well... if there’s an upside to really boring pizza... it’s not as stressful on the environment- having to grow tasty vegetables and raise meat.

You guys keep doing your thing!
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    What are these rules you speak of?
    They are plenty evident in this thread :lol:
  • Options
    There’s only one thing that comes to mind that is better plain.  Cheesecake. 
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    There’s only one thing that comes to mind that is better plain.  Cheesecake. 
    BJs.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    Plain pizza is plain.
    Salt and spices are always part of a good pie

One of my favorite places and slices (Manco & Manco Sicilian) uses a blend of Mozz & Cheddar.

Mushrooms are also a good topping and get you your desired taste ...
  • Options
    Oh shit... I get the sense Scruffy is somewhere pretending to be in the moment with some boring east coast company talking about the local weather patterns for the past decade, but secretly reading the pizza thread on his cellular phone... face getting red... and steam is starting to whistle out his ears.

Lol. No company today, one of my kids has strep and my wife and I have sinus infections. Good times. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

Lol. No company today, one of my kids has strep and my wife and I have sinus infections. Good times. 

Sitting here sick myself. Bored to tears.

And, of course, it's a weekend without any responsibility.

The wife is nagging me to pull it together and go do something with her. I just want to lie on this couch with Aliens on in the background, check fantasy baseball sites for rankings, and taunt east coast people.

F**ks sakes.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

The wife is nagging me to pull it together and go do something with her. I just want to lie on this couch with Aliens on in the background, check fantasy baseball sites for rankings, and taunt east coast people.

F**ks sakes.
    Dude come over and we can order some plain pies and drink molson xxx!

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

F**ks sakes.
    Dude come over and we can order some plain pies and drink molson xxx!

Will do so in spirit!

Not quite ready to tilt anything back though. Give me about five hours.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    The plain pizza here sucks, including the one I posted above that got this whole discussion going. My kids eat it because they don’t like flavor, while I go heat up some Top ramen or make a turkey sandwich.

There’s a “craft pizza” place in town that has a good crust down, makes a nice Detroit-style pizza and comes up with some decently flavored pies with toppings. I usually get something from there on my night to pick. 

I would never get toppings on any proven pizza from my beloved Brooklyn. They are perfect as is. Adding anything would be comparable to getting omakase from a master sushi chef and drowning it in soy sauce. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Classic margherita and plain cheese for the kids.  

• Options
  • Options
    Damn they look great!!   I like how they cut the pies. 
  • Options
    The margherita was really good. The cheese was light on the sauce and heavy cheese. Glad that one wasn’t mine lol 
  • Options
    dankind said:
    The plain pizza here sucks, including the one I posted above that got this whole discussion going. My kids eat it because they don’t like flavor, while I go heat up some Top ramen or make a turkey sandwich.

There’s a “craft pizza” place in town that has a good crust down, makes a nice Detroit-style pizza and comes up with some decently flavored pies with toppings. I usually get something from there on my night to pick. 

I would never get toppings on any proven pizza from my beloved Brooklyn. They are perfect as is. Adding anything would be comparable to getting omakase from a master sushi chef and drowning it in soy sauce. 
    I’ve only been to NY once, but didn’t get pizza from Brooklyn. I wish I would have. I’d like to try an old school, real deal Brooklyn slice. I think the only pizza I had that trip was from Queens. I was college age and we met some girls from St Johns, so we made our way over to Queens. Pizza was nothing to write home about.