Options

The Pizza Thread

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,659
    Sounds like a place I need to check out, Espositos.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
    A real sushi restaurant is on my list of things I need to experience.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I think sushi is overrated, unless, like F Me, you acknowledge that the ritual and lore and spiritual artistry are as important as the actual flavor and texture in your mouth.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,659
    You understand, that is very well put.
    (Not the overrated part, lol)
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    I enjoy it and I don't think those things are as important as the flavor, but I definitely want to experience the whole show.  And hope that I don't fuck up or accidentally do something disrespectful.
  • Options
    I enjoy it and I don't think those things are as important as the flavor, but I definitely want to experience the whole show.  And hope that I don't fuck up or accidentally do something disrespectful.
    Caring is all you need -- most places are happy to help you through the meal if you ask questions.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,914
    Caring is all you need -- most places are happy to help you through the meal if you ask questions.
    Next time I go tuna fishing I ll send you some meat. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Yellowfin, here?  That is tasty stuff.  Went deep sea finishing out of Port Venice, Louisiana and came back with a haul.  We cut into one of the fish and were eating right out on the water.  Amazing.
  • Options
    Yellowfin, here?  That is tasty stuff.  Went deep sea finishing out of Port Venice, Louisiana and came back with a haul.  We cut into one of the fish and were eating right out on the water.  Amazing.
    Raw scallops are awesome too.  
  • Options
    I'm sure I would have questions and I'd be happy to ask them & oblige the advice given.  The Japanese are a people built on respect and I would love to honor the meal the way they intend.
  • Options
    I'm sure I would have questions and I'd be happy to ask them & oblige the advice given.  The Japanese are a people built on respect and I would love to honor the meal the way they intend.
    I d love to visit Japan. 
  • Options
    Never been a fan of sushi. Don't really see the appeal. "Let eat these cold clumps of rice"
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    I d love to visit Japan. 
    Me too, just not Tokyo.  Eh, maybe spend a day there just to see the circus.  A buddy of mine just moved to Hakodate back in November.  A port town on the southern tip of the northermost island of Hokkaido, about a 4 hour drive to Sapporo.
  • Options
    Never been a fan of sushi. Don't really see the appeal. "Let eat these cold clumps of rice"
    Guessing you have not had good sushi.
    (Rice is best served warm and never cold/clumpy)
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Suburban Philadelphia (south jersey)
    NYC and Philly are both great restaurant cities but are both weak sushi cities .  Real sushi is rare and cost 2x what it should.
    When I lived in SoCal it was a slaughter.  
    LA has best sushi options outside of Japan.
    Never had good sushi from a Korean or Chinese owned place.  Like eating high end Italian from a Croation.  Silly 
    NYC is far from weak when it comes to sushi. There are places that absolutely compare with Japan.
    Some even better than Ive had in Japan.  Problem is getting a reservation and that $200-$400 price tag for a proper omakase. And then there is Masa, which I have never tried.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    I d love to visit Japan. 
    Me too, just not Tokyo.  Eh, maybe spend a day there just to see the circus.  A buddy of mine just moved to Hakodate back in November.  A port town on the southern tip of the northermost island of Hokkaido, about a 4 hour drive to Sapporo.
    Hokkaido is a special place. Lucky to have been there twice.  Some of my all time favorite food experiences occurred in Hokkaido. Sitting in an izakaya drinking beer and eating in Hokkaido is one of the worlds great pleasures.
  • Options
    Oh and the pizza in Japan is generally not that great and kind of strange, although there are some restaurants that now serve more authentic pies.
  • Options
    Get_Right said:
    NYC and Philly are both great restaurant cities but are both weak sushi cities .  Real sushi is rare and cost 2x what it should.
    Never had good sushi from a Korean or Chinese owned place.  Like eating high end Italian from a Croation.  Silly 
    NYC is far from weak when it comes to sushi. There are places that absolutely compare with Japan.
    Some even better than Ive had in Japan.  Problem is getting a reservation and that $200-$400 price tag for a proper omakase. And then there is Masa, which I have never tried.
    It is weak comparatively to the west coast cities.
    Are there top end places that server great sushi?
    Yes, of course.  Have been fortunate enough to have some amazing meals in both NYC and Philly.
    The number is far lower than a great food city like NYC might be expected to have, in my experience.
    And yes...the price tag is BS.  I pay it but that is the main reason we do not eat sushi weekly, as we did when we lived out west.  (Kids being another.  ;) )
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Get_Right said:
    Yes, of course.  Have been fortunate enough to have some amazing meals in both NYC and Philly.
    The number is far lower than a great food city like NYC might be expected to have, in my experience.
    And yes...the price tag is BS.  I pay it but that is the main reason we do not eat sushi weekly, as we did when we lived out west.  (Kids being another.  ;) )
    In the last ten years its blown up in NYC.  I cant even keep up. Sushi and Japanese food in general have been taking over NYC.  And that is a good thing. :)  Never had great sushi on the west coast, just due to the lack of opportunity.  We make our own these days and are lucky to have a Japanese fish monger nearby. As far as omakase price goes, spend two hours with a lawyer or an accountant and it will cost you double the amount and you wont get fed.  That is how I justify it :)

Post edited by Get_Right on
  • Options
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    In the last ten years its blown up in NYC.  I cant even keep up. Sushi and Japanese food in general have been taking over NYC.  And that is a good thing. :)  Never had great sushi on the west coast, just due to the lack of opportunity.  We make our own these days and are lucky to have a Japanese fish monger nearby. As far as omakase price goes, spend two hours with a lawyer or an accountant and it will cost you double the amount and you wont get fed.  That is how I justify it :)

I have a tough time justifying but know that every so often we need to experience it and we can afford to. 

I hate seeing any of our lawyers or our CPA.  Fuck those bastards.  :lol:   
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Just don't do any research on parasites...
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    Just don't do any research on parasites...
    Vodka takes care of those.  ;)
  • Options
    Never seen a sushi Place with "warm rice"?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Not sure about Swedish Sushi but it seems from what you shared that your countrymen have a way of reinventing things as they want to have them (Swedish Tacos, Swedish Pizza) --- which is not a bad thing, in my eyes, but I am guessing that we just have a different understanding of what good sushi is.  My contention would be anything with cold and clumpy rice is on the naughty list.
    Doesn't mean it cannot taste good or that I have not eaten it and enjoyed it....it just doesn't fit what I personally define as good.

Back to pizza, enough about other foods!  :)
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,629
    edited February 2019
    You would like Vancouver. Some say the sushi in Vancouver is better than the sushi in Japan on average (I am not claiming that personally - I have no idea; I can't even eat raw fish). Certainly, if NYC is pizza, and LA is tacos, then Vancouver is sushi. There are still some shit places to sort through, since there is a sushi place on fucking every damn corner in the city. Everywhere you look there is another sushi house. There are over 600 sushi houses in the city!!! It's actually annoying to me, as someone who can't have sashimi. But yes, many of them are run by Chinese, which isn't ideal, but understandable - I think about 50% of Vancouver's population is Chinese now. But even I know to always look for the places run by Japanese people (plenty of those too). That said, that ARE some places run by the Chinese that are considered good.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,107
    edited February 2019
    Not sure about Swedish Sushi but it seems from what you shared that your countrymen have a way of reinventing things as they want to have them (Swedish Tacos, Swedish Pizza) --- which is not a bad thing, in my eyes, but I am guessing that we just have a different understanding of what good sushi is.  My contention would be anything with cold and clumpy rice is on the naughty list.
    Doesn't mean it cannot taste good or that I have not eaten it and enjoyed it....it just doesn't fit what I personally define as good.

It's suppose to be "body warm" from what I've read, and I guess it is in Sweden to. When you wrote warm I pictured "hot". So long since I ate sushi. Might have to try it for lunch.
  • Options

It's suppose to be "body warm" from what I've read, and I guess it is in Sweden to. When you wrote warm I pictured "hot". So long since I ate sushi. Might have to try it for lunch.
    Put a little wasabi on it, top it with a piece of ginger and dip it into the soy sauce. 
  • Options
    What we see:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Put a little wasabi on it, top it with a piece of ginger and dip it into the soy sauce. 
    What F Me sees:

• Options
    Pizza Pizza!  ;)