RIP Chris Cornell

Comments

• NWOntarioNWOntario Toronto Posts: 823
    Two things:

1. I bought a mini amp yesterday. Spent the evening making noise. It felt good.

2. This morning I took a giant breath and put on Temple of the Dog. It was hard, yeah, but it was also cathartic. I'm glad I haven't lost that music, because this time yesterday I honestly didn't think I've be able to listen to Chris' voice again for a while.

It's still incredibly hard to know what to feel and how to articulate anything. Hope everyone's doing okay.
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022
  • bgirl59bgirl59 Tucson AZ Posts: 888
    dougfloyd said:
    Not that anyone can ever know what Chris was truly thinking but this was interesting read as we all try to make sense of this tragedy.  Yesterday was a very, very rough day to get through to say the least.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/chris-cornell-when-suicide-doesnt-make-sense_us_591e2496e4b07617ae4cbaac
    Like all of us, I have been struggling with the questions of how/why???  Having a close relative that succumbed to this, a lot of feelings have come back to me that have been pushed back for a while now.  This is a GREAT article and I would encourage everyone to read it. Thank you Doug for sharing and this means a lot to me personally.  I really hope that this helps with his family and friends in their time of grief.
    Thank you for posting this article. I hope and pray that everyone reads it. Hopefully we can finally stop spinning the story and understand. Depression is not just a state of mind. It is an actual illness, like cancer or arthritis. Thanks again.

PEARL JAM in 2024! Dark Matter and MORE ! THANK YOU!!   
    Peace Love & Pearl Jam forever!!
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    wow, what a great article. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,212
    dougfloyd said:
    Not that anyone can ever know what Chris was truly thinking but this was interesting read as we all try to make sense of this tragedy.  Yesterday was a very, very rough day to get through to say the least.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/chris-cornell-when-suicide-doesnt-make-sense_us_591e2496e4b07617ae4cbaac

I agree, this is a great article, thanks for sharing. We can't and won't know what really happened with Chris Cornell, but this article offers great insight into what is happening inside the brain of someone who is depressed.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Agreed.  A friend texted me screenshots of the article.  We had a pretty lengthy conversation about suicide and depression yesterday.  (Didn't we all?)  He sent it along as a follow-up.  It is a very good article and to those of us who haven't been, it helped.  
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • VedderChiKVedderChiK Posts: 11
    Yesterday I was in denial and today I´m just crying my eyes out. My heart is broken. His music was my friend and its his music the one thats comforting me right now.
    All the love and good vibes to his friend and family.
    A big hugh for all you here...
    All you need is love...and Pearl Jam.
  • vzouzalvzouzal Posts: 202
    edited May 2017
    So for awhile now I find that when I hear the end of a live version of Sirens and Eddie does the thing where he throws his voice over the crowd which is singing the bands part (sorry for bad explanation), it just reaches into the inner most part of my soul and I'm moved to tears every time. Just heard it now from Boston and thinking of Chris.... I don't really even know what I'm trying to say. I guess we're all so lucky to have been blessed by the power of this music, cause its so powerful!

There is really good example of what I was trying to describe at the end of this one.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLkvtTJ3PWs
    Post edited by vzouzal on
  • AO253126AO253126 Posts: 362
    It's been said many times before, but it bears repeating here: for a bunch of people I don't know, have never met and likely will never meet, you all are an amazing group. It's so good to have a place to come at a time like this when we can share our thoughts and feelings without fear of ridicule or reproach. Just reading all of the tributes, stories, and general kindness that everyone is sharing helps so much. Thanks to you all.
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,599
    I am still in shock about this.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,554
    AO253126 said:
    It's been said many times before, but it bears repeating here: for a bunch of people I don't know, have never met and likely will never meet, you all are an amazing group. It's so good to have a place to come at a time like this when we can share our thoughts and feelings without fear of ridicule or reproach. Just reading all of the tributes, stories, and general kindness that everyone is sharing helps so much. Thanks to you all.
    Totally agree.  I'm proud of this great group of people here, mostly of a generation younger than mine, for carrying on and being so together in so many ways.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,348
    edited May 2017
    from the liner notes of the singles re-issue:

as part of the movie's story, citizen dick would disband and leave cliff poncier as a solo artist, a street busker in seattle selling home made cassette tapes. jeff ament had mocked up the fictional solo cassette for cliff poncier to sell on the street in the movie. ament had come up with a great list of fake song titles for the cassette box. chris cornell, who had also been an early inspiration for the movie, and even had an acting part, secretly decided to record real songs to match the made up song titles. one night chris sent the cassette home with my wife (nancy wilson) as a surprise. "I bought this from a guy on the street," she said as per her instructions. I played the tape and every song was a gem. "seasons" was the one that best fit the movie but many of the songs would later emerge in other forms, most famously when soundgarden recorded "spoonman," another song from the mythical poncier tape.

just shows how talented chris was. it reminds me of ed writing all the songs to into the wild in such a short time.

RIP, chris.
    Post edited by Wobbie on
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,415
    Wobbie said:

as part of the movie's story, citizen dick would disband and leave cliff poncier as a solo artist, a street busker in seattle selling home made cassette tapes. jeff ament had movked up the fictional solo cassette for cliff poncier to sell on the street in the movie. ament had come up with a great list of fake song titles for the cassette box. chris cornell, who had also been an early inspiration for the movie, and even had an acting part, secretly decided to record real songs to match the made up song titles. one night chris sent the cassette home with my wife (nancy wilson) as a surprise. "I bought this from a guy on the street," she said as per her instructions. I played the tape and every song was a gem. "seasons" was the one that best fit the movie but many of the songs would later emerge in other forms, most famously when soundgarden recorded "spoonman," another song from the mythical poncier tape.

just shows how talented chris was. it reminds me of ed writing all the songs to into the wild in such a short time.

RIP, chris.
    That's awesome!!
  • MattchewMattchew Posts: 1,345
    Wobbie said:

as part of the movie's story, citizen dick would disband and leave cliff poncier as a solo artist, a street busker in seattle selling home made cassette tapes. jeff ament had movked up the fictional solo cassette for cliff poncier to sell on the street in the movie. ament had come up with a great list of fake song titles for the cassette box. chris cornell, who had also been an early inspiration for the movie, and even had an acting part, secretly decided to record real songs to match the made up song titles. one night chris sent the cassette home with my wife (nancy wilson) as a surprise. "I bought this from a guy on the street," she said as per her instructions. I played the tape and every song was a gem. "seasons" was the one that best fit the movie but many of the songs would later emerge in other forms, most famously when soundgarden recorded "spoonman," another song from the mythical poncier tape.

RIP, chris.
      I remember reading about this.  I always thought that it was so cool that Spoonman came from a movie prop in Singles.  Chris was so damn talented!  I am also still in complete shock.
  • drummerboy_73drummerboy_73 Las Vegas, NV Posts: 2,011

What's so heartbreaking to me, aside from how much we were all moved by his music and losing a major talent, is how his family's world has been flipped inside out with seemingly no warning whatsoever. It really hit me on that level, as I experienced the sudden loss of my father about a year ago, and only a couple of months later, nearly lost my wife to a brain aneurysm - which she miraculously survived after being given about a 30% chance of making it, and thankfully, has made a nearly full recovery. It was an emotional whirlwind as my sons and I sat in the emergency room while she was admitted and undergoing emergency surgery. All of the "what if's" that go through your head, and what life is going to be like going forward, and how you have to make overwhelming and life-altering decisions on a moment's notice. From that perspective, I can only imagine what his family is experiencing at this point, with so many questions and emotions running through their minds and hearts. While I don't think we completely ever heal from such a loss as this, I hope they find some answers and some sense of peace, and my heart goes out to them. I also wish the members of Pearl Jam and the rest of their musical family the best as well, especially considering that so much of what they've gone through and how their paths have been defined by tragedies like this before. Much love and peace to all.

Osaka, Japan (2/21/95), San Diego (7/10/98), Las Vegas (10/22/00), San Diego (10/25/00), Las Vegas (6/6/03), Las Vegas (7/6/06), Los Angeles (7/9/06), VH1 Rock Honors (7/12/08), Ed Solo (7/8/11), Ed Solo (11/1/12), Los Angeles (11/23/13)
  • From that article above:

When we talk openly about the chemical side of suicidal thoughts, we teach people in the deepest moment of suicidal ideation to step back, just as if they were having the signs of a stroke and say, “Wait! This is not me and it is not what I want. I need immediate help.”

Information that must be drilled home to people suffering from depression and having suicidal thoughts.

"My brain's a good brain!"
  • solace23solace23 Posts: 704
    This doesn't make any sense to me. I along with all of you feel numb. I was honoured to have seen Chris perform 3 times solo and what an enormous talent.  In my top 10 gigs of all time. Reach out people if you need help as the world just lost a shining star. 
  • green_girlgreen_girl Posts: 931
    This is such sad news. The band and many others lost a great friend. The world lost a great musician.
  • Bulldog88Bulldog88 Posts: 380

Somehow, yesterday, I thought if there was just more information I could reconcile it in my mind. If there was just a 'why',  a reason. I keep looking for the explanation only to realize, no matter how much info I read, there is no explanation. There is no way to make this make sense. I guess I just wish it wasn't true.

• CubuCubu N.W. Suburban Chicago Posts: 86
    Shocked and dismayed at the death of Chris Cornell. I first saw Soundgarden at the Aragon "Brawl" room in Chicago in the mid 90's and was totally blown away by the show. As a die-hard "Jammer", I had great respect for him and his band. I will never forget the short set list Cornell performed with members of PJ at Alpine Valley N2, on PJ's 20th anniversary tour back in 2011. It was amazing to watch him play with his old band mates. I hate the month of May. First I lost my father to lung cancer on May 3rd and now this. May you rest in peace Mr.Cornell and may that Black Hole Sun, finally start to shine on you in heaven!!
    Chicago Stadium -94, Soldier Field -95, United Center -98, Allstate Arena -2000, United Center -03, United Center -06, United Center -09, Alpine Valley - 11, Wrigley Field-13, Wrigley Field-16
  • reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ. Posts: 1,981
    Cornell was the man, so sorry to learn of his passing. Glad I got to see Soundgarden live in their prime back in 97' here in NZ, will never forget that show and the power of his voice. What a great band. The man will be sorely missed.. r.i.p Chris.
    A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,830
    Bulldog88 said:

Somehow, yesterday, I thought if there was just more information I could reconcile it in my mind. If there was just a 'why',  a reason. I keep looking for the explanation only to realize, no matter how much info I read, there is no explanation. There is no way to make this make sense. I guess I just wish it wasn't true.

I know it's probably not the time to speculate, but I do think there are some important things to remember here.

I know Chris suffered with depression and addiction in the past,and I'm sure he's had his ups and downs over the years, but I have a hard time believing that he could have been so prolific and more to the point consistent, if he was on the constant rollercoaster ride that is clinical depression.  When you look at people who have really suffered with things like addicition and depression, they are not able to consistently pull it out of the bag, in fact Chris himself was not really able to do son until he got clean.  Scott Weiland, Kurt Cobain and Layne Staley would be prime examples of this.  Having known a number of people with bi-polar disorders, I can attest to that kind of erratic behaviour.

I'm not saying Chris didn't have a depressive nature, but I find it hard to believe that things would have suddenly come to an unbearable point now.  From what his wife has said about the medication he was on, it seems like a tragic 'perfect storm' of elements may have unfortunately come together and the outcome suddenly became inevitable.

• JustaPJFanJustaPJFan Posts: 710
    Keep coming back to this song. Written because of the death of Cobain, now it has another meaning in my world. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbJm1OcII-g&feature=youtu.be 
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,456
    edited May 2017
    From that article above:

When we talk openly about the chemical side of suicidal thoughts, we teach people in the deepest moment of suicidal ideation to step back, just as if they were having the signs of a stroke and say, “Wait! This is not me and it is not what I want. I need immediate help.”

Information that must be drilled home to people suffering from depression and having suicidal thoughts.

I have a close friend who is dealing with major anxiety and I guess depression, and he started having suicidal thoughts one day recently, so he turned his car around and drove himself straight to the psychiatric ward at the hospital and told them what was happening, and spent the day being evaluated, etc. Seems like the right thing to do - I was quite proud of him for doing that.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,648
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,133
    Having a few drinks tonight and hoping that the guys have decided to head home to be around eachother and chris' family in this time of loss.  Hoping the creative energy and closeness that a loss like this and Andy's gets inside the guys and they write a few songs or at least jam on a few things to use the sadness to express themselves the way they do best.  Sounds selfish I know but I hope they immortalize him in an artistic way pikenonly the boys can do.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • PJ_ROCKSPJ_ROCKS THE 406 Posts: 6,736
    sending good (((vibes))) to all.

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

2006 Denver 2 shows with Tom Petty 

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2012 Missoula : Meet and Greet : "Instant Classic show"

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

• RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,358
    Anywhere to watch rock the range on periscope or something? I'd like to see the tribute 
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,459
    From that article above:

• PJ212PJ212 Posts: 811
    edited May 2017

I’m grateful for anyone who’s reached out since yesterday to talk about it and grateful this space exists for fans to express grief. Shock, and disbelief, and this strange heaviness on my chest as if someone is pushing on my sternum comes and goes. And it’s not that I’m actively crying or having any emotional outbursts at all, it’s just that anytime I read another tribute or article I feel this stinging sensation and my eyes just well up. I haven’t put any records on to listen to his music. Because I can still hear it all in my head. His voice. His scream. Reach Down, Fell On Black Days, Blow Up the Outside World. I keep humming the opening notes to Seasons. I know members of Soundgarden and Pearl Jam will eventually release a statement to address it, but the silence right now says everything. I hope they all know that the fans are all here. Ready when they are to pick them up and to carry on his legacy. 

Post edited by PJ212 on
    2000: CLT, Greensboro, 2003: MSG 1 & 2, 2008: MSG 1 & 2, 2009: LA 2 & 3, 2011: Vancouver, 2012: Missoula, 2013: Wrigley, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Voodoo, SD, LA 1 & 2, OAK, PDX, Vancouver, SEA, 2014: Cincy, ACL1, Tulsa, Lincoln, Memphis, Moline, St. Paul, MKE, DEN, Bridge 1 & 2, 2015: GCF, Mexico City, 2016: FLL, MIA, TPA, Greenville, Hampton, Columbia, MSG 1 & 2, Bonnaroo, Telluride, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley 1 & 2, 2017: ROHF, 2018: Padova, Rome, Prague, Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Wrigley 1
  • Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,833
    FUCK!!! Got Badmotorfinger cranked up now... Such a badass album..... 
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby