Options

RIP Chris Cornell

Comments

• Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,061
    Been listening and watching music all night. Lots of Cornell. Ahhh that voice. Fuck. I'm hammered and feeling so sad yet thankful. Thankful for everything I have and for all the joy his music has brought me. His voice changed my life at 14yrs old and has now been a part of over half my life. Rest In Peace. 

Give all your the ones you love a big hug today. Never know when things might change. 
  • Options
    JT167846JT167846 Posts: 820
    goldrush said:
    The only CD I could find to put in the car today was 'Songbook'.
    Made it about 3 songs in and had to drive the rest of the way to work in silence.

At least you didn't make it to Through The Window. That's a tough one.

Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,286
    steved said:
    Temple Of The Dog - PJ20 Directors Cut (unlocked now as the time is fitting )
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHIz3qWy8oI&t=610s

Thanks for sharing that Steve. Say Hello 2 Heaven was quite cathartic, but damn Eddie's speech before Hunger Strike triggered the tears again...
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    prlprl Posts: 125
    steved said:
    prl said:
    steved said:
    Temple Of The Dog - PJ20 Directors Cut (unlocked now as the time is fitting )
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHIz3qWy8oI&t=610s

Hey steved, thanks for sharing this. Is this video the same as the one in the TOTD deluxe boxset?
    It is the same show, but when I was done with the version made for the Box Set there were parts I was not satisfied with, and there were parts that were edited out for size restriction and continuity. This is the complete and Final version I edited.
    Thanks for your reply. I noticed Eddie's introduction to Chris is missing from the final release, so that's a nice extra there, really nice words. Thanks.
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,495
    morello said:
    I've just watched video of Slaves & Bulldozers & I'm probably reading into things but i don't know that I've known him to sing pretty well a whole song from behind his hair flopping in front is his face before, sort of hiding from everyone. in absolutely reading into this of course but, just.... :heartbreak:

That was normal for him. I was looking through the pictures I took of SG in Boston back in '13, and in most of them he has his hair in his face. 

• Options
    AafkeAafke Posts: 1,219
    RIP Chris, there is no cure for depression, and it strikes when least expected...

You will be missed...
    Waves_zps6b028461.jpg
    "The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed".- Carl Jung.
    "Art does not reproduce what we see; rather, it makes us see."- Paul Klee
  • Options
    Release EVRelease EV Posts: 2,001
    SJD3232 said:
    Just cried my entire way home from an AA meeting listening to Songbook.  Chris has helped me get through some of my biggest challenges and I've always looked up to him as a role model when it came to my sobriety.  I cannot comprehend the pain he must have been going through on a daily basis.  People do not realize mental illness/depression is so serious.

if you're having problems battling inner demons, there's no shame in asking for help.

Chris, you will be missed immensely.  May God be with his family and friends.

What a loss.  One can only hope he has been set free from whatever it was that drove him to this.

RIP Chris.  I'll take you with me through the rest of my journey. 
    So well put. And be here the rest of mine as well.
  • Options
    silvosilvo Posts: 290
    goldrush said:
    chadaw76 said:
    Just got home from the Chili Peppers show in Indy tonight. Flea dedicated Under the Bridge to Chris. Then the encore started with Josh Klinghoffer coming on stage alone and playing Seasons. Hopefully clips of that show up online soon as it was a really great performance.

RIP Chris 
    I just found this: 

https://youtu.be/UuPLC2f0P9A
    Love this. Seasons one of CC's finest for me. Respect to Josh for doing that. The first of many I'm sure, as the many people he touched and influenced pay their respects. Still struggling to fully accept what's happened.
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,710
    Saw Stone Sours tribute last night on facebook.......Corey did a great job
  • Options
    Remembering Chris... it's hard to type through the tears today... There isn't anywhere else online or in the real world where I can post this where people will understand how crushed I feel today... so thank you, friends, for putting up with this long list of mine...

My best friend Dennis and I listened to the same mix tape on the bus on the way to school every day. And every day, we listened to My Wave and The Day I Tried To Live without fail. Soundgarden was a massive part of the soundtrack of my life, and will be for as long as I live.

i feel so so fortunate to have seen a Soundgarden performance in Las Vegas in 2014. Chris' voice always blew me away - but to hear him live and in person was unforgettable. They performed every song I ever wanted them to play that night. It was glorious. We will never again hear a voice like Chris', and that's something I will forever miss.

I missed a Pearl Jam show in L.A. in 2009. I had just returned from a business trip in Hawaii and I had the opportunity to drive straight to Los Angeles and see PJ the next day - but I was so exhausted. This was the show where Chris came out on stage and sang probably the most unique version of Hunger Strike that I had ever heard. This was the show where Matt, Kim, Ben and Chris huddled backstage and started the gears moving on a Soundgarden reunion. I wasn't there, but I always think of the show I missed that became truly legendary.

His influence on so many other artists - including Eddie - is incalculable. I can't imagine where he was in his own mind last night to do something so final...

We all can get down, and there are a lot of us who know the sadness, who know the depression, and have not yet let it get the best of us. We all get bad days, and we all get worse days. Sometimes it's minute to minute. I get that. I really do. No matter how bad it gets, live for the next day. Live for your friends. Live for your family. Live for the moments you've not yet experienced. Live for the people you have not yet met. You are needed here so much more than you could ever fathom. If you need help, please talk to someone. It's ok if you need help - we all do. There's nothing wrong with reaching out. Please take care of yourselves, friends. Theres a lot of love here. We need you.

We are going to miss you so much, Chris. A big part of us died with you, today. You never knew me, but you were there for me when I needed you. Thank you so much, Chris. We miss you.
    Great post to embody a painfully sad day. Your post completely captures my utter sadness of today and the difficulty to process an important loss of someone you've never met. 

I have no words for this. I'm so sad. But that pales in comparison to so many others who knew him personally as a family member, friend, or bandmate. I can't imagine the pain and confusion they all feel. My thoughts and prayers are with anyone who has been touched by this horrible event and anyone who struggles with whatever difficulties life has placed in front of them.

Your post helped me realize that my feelings are not unique - especially on this forum - on such a difficult day. 

Much love to everyone. 
    Sending e-hugs your way, man... e-hugs to everyone today
    Thanks man. Right back at you and to everyone who's hurting. 
  • Options
    AN46622AN46622 Posts: 14
    http://variety.com/2017/music/news/chris-cornells-family-prescription-drugs-may-have-influenced-suicide-1202436611/

“Without the results of toxicology tests, we do not know what was going on with Chris—or if any substances contributed to his demise,” the Cornell family said.

The 52 year-old Soundgarden frontman had a prescription for Ativan, the family said, and may have taken a higher dosage. Attorney Kirk Pasich noted that Ativan can cause paranoid or suicidal thoughts, slurred speech and impaired judgement.

Ativan is a tranquilizer and anti-anxiety medication that is sometimes used as a sleeping aid.

Vicky Cornell, the singer’s wife, added, “Chris’s death is a loss that escapes words and has created an emptiness in my heart that will never be filled. As everyone who knew him commented, Chris was a devoted father and husband.”

She said Cornell flew home from Soundgarden’s tour the weekend before to spend time with his wife and children, before returning to the mid-west.

Cornell’s family called the mentions of suicide “disturbing.”

“When we spoke after the show, I noticed he was slurring his words; he was different,” his wife added. “When he told me he may have taken an extra Ativan or two, I contacted security and asked that they check on him.”

She added: “What happened is inexplicable and I am hopeful that further medical reports will provide additional details. I know that he loved our children and he would not hurt them by intentionally taking his own life. The outpouring of love and support from his fans, friends and family means so much more to us than anyone can know. Thank you for that, and for understanding how difficult this is for us.”

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    Wonderful tribute to Chris last night by the RHCP... Seasons brought tears to my eyes. 

I saw Soundgarden last week in Indy and grabbed a poster on the way out of the venue. I never would have guessed that it would represent their last tour. 
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    brainofebrainofe Posts: 263
    I want to share this video I took at a Chris Cornell concert back in 2009. I believe he was on tour promoting his solo album, "Scream." But anyway, in the video Chris notices a little girl caught up in the pit, so he stops the show to make sure she's okay and brings her to safety. This just goes to show what a good person he was and how much the world is going to miss him.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqKTZSXlbx0&feature=youtu.be  
    Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
  • Options
    OMGkatwomanOMGkatwoman Posts: 3,230
    AN46622 said:
    http://variety.com/2017/music/news/chris-cornells-family-prescription-drugs-may-have-influenced-suicide-1202436611/

“Without the results of toxicology tests, we do not know what was going on with Chris—or if any substances contributed to his demise,” the Cornell family said.

The 52 year-old Soundgarden frontman had a prescription for Ativan, the family said, and may have taken a higher dosage. Attorney Kirk Pasich noted that Ativan can cause paranoid or suicidal thoughts, slurred speech and impaired judgement.

Ativan is a tranquilizer and anti-anxiety medication that is sometimes used as a sleeping aid.

Vicky Cornell, the singer’s wife, added, “Chris’s death is a loss that escapes words and has created an emptiness in my heart that will never be filled. As everyone who knew him commented, Chris was a devoted father and husband.”

She said Cornell flew home from Soundgarden’s tour the weekend before to spend time with his wife and children, before returning to the mid-west.

“When we spoke after the show, I noticed he was slurring his words; he was different,” his wife added. “When he told me he may have taken an extra Ativan or two, I contacted security and asked that they check on him.”

She added: “What happened is inexplicable and I am hopeful that further medical reports will provide additional details. I know that he loved our children and he would not hurt them by intentionally taking his own life. The outpouring of love and support from his fans, friends and family means so much more to us than anyone can know. Thank you for that, and for understanding how difficult this is for us.”

Other news outlets are reporting the same as the one posted, if true, it puts things in a different perspective of what and why things may have happened...
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    Well.....i just realise that  Chris passed away...in europe date on 18th May....same way...same date  as Ian.....fuck...
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    Yeah and then you click on yahoo to find the correct spelling for the dentist that does braces and you see a headline that reads "Cornell battled daily drudgery of depression" wtf.
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    I wish the world would just let it be and give those close to him time to mourn. He is gone and its very sad.
    Cant stop listening to the Higher Truth. A terrific record.
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,783
    AN46622 said:

My heart breaks again for him and for her and their children. Such a tragedy. 
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    John BudgeJohn Budge Posts: 260
    Get_Right said:
    I wish the world would just let it be and give those close to him time to mourn. He is gone and its very sad.
    Cant stop listening to the Higher Truth. A terrific record.
    Agree. I did a Google search on his name and noticed an article titled "Chris Cornell: Troubled singer with a unique voice".  I tweeted the author expressing my dismay at the title and he said that Chris must be troubled if he committed suicide.  wtf...
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209

Damn! Another great loss-way too soon. Great singer, great songwriter, great front man. After not really connecting with most of the music that immediately preceded it I thought it was a breath of fresh air when the scene came along that was bands like Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, and Alice in Chains. This music was real-being created by people with something to say who were gonna say it regardless of what the current state of the music business and audiences thought. Just turns out that it was so strong that they changed everything by doing what felt natural without second guessing how it would be received and by giving a voice to a whole cross-section of people who were looking for theirs. That’s true art!

I didn’t really know Chris. We communicated via email at one point because he was on my short list of singers that I reached out to during the making of Shout! I was very excited that he was interested and that he was even thinking of writing lyrics for one of the songs to create a “real” alternate version which I was very excited about as I’ve always dug his lyrics. As happens so often in the music business, life prevails. He received some bad news involving a family tragedy and wasn’t able to do it and I will always wonder what it would have sounded like.

"Say Hello to Heaven”. Maybe not be the interpretation he intended, but fitting. -WH

Image may contain 1 person on stage playing a musical instrument and night
  • Options
    rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209
    going to Mule at the Tower tonight, looking forward to hearing what he might cover/say...
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    It's nice to start getting information...I feel so sorry for the kids
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    god. this just adds an extra topping of tragedy to this. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    morello said:
    I've just watched video of Slaves & Bulldozers & I'm probably reading into things but i don't know that I've known him to sing pretty well a whole song from behind his hair flopping in front is his face before, sort of hiding from everyone. in absolutely reading into this of course but, just.... :heartbreak:

That was normal for him. I was looking through the pictures I took of SG in Boston back in '13, and in most of them he has his hair in his face. 

He sang with his hair in his face at both Lakewood 2015 and Indy 2016.  It was just a thing he did.  At one of the shows, @derbydave would have to help tell which one, he also flapped his hair to make it like Trump's hair.  (Not a political statement at this time so please don't anyone get their britches in a bunch.  Just relaying a show story.)  He had awesome hair.  Why not use it as a prop?  :smile: 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    I was thinking that same thing.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    Wonderful tribute to Chris last night by the RHCP... Seasons brought tears to my eyes. 

I saw Soundgarden last week in Indy and grabbed a poster on the way out of the venue. I never would have guessed that it would represent their last tour. 
    Man...same here. It's been a rough morning again.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    lotsalemonlotsalemon Boston Posts: 2,734

I was hoping to wake up this morning and not have a heavy heart. 

I found out late yesterday afternoon my father, who was being treated for pneumonia, has a large mass on his lung. He needs it biopsied and removed ASAP. 
    My mom's recovering from a ruptured spleen from a car accident last week. It's gonna be a long road. 

It's been a real tough week. 
    I got so much going on right now, I just feel like I need to vent. I just wanna scream sometimes. 
    Mansfield 06.28.2008 | Boston 05.17.2010 | Boston 06.19.2011 EV solo | Wrigley Field 07.19.2013 | Worcester 10.15.2013 | Worcester 10.16.2013 | Hartford 10.25.2013
    Vancouver 12.04.2013 | Seattle 12.06.2013 | Memphis 10.14.2014 | Quebec City 05.05.2016 | Ottawa 05.08.2016 | Toronto 05.11.2016 | Boston 08.05.2016 | Boston 08.07.2016 | Amsterdam 06.12.2018 | Boston 09.02.2018 | Boston 09.04.2018

• Options
    OMGkatwomanOMGkatwoman Posts: 3,230

I was hoping to wake up this morning and not have a heavy heart. 

I found out late yesterday afternoon my father, who was being treated for pneumonia, has a large mass on his lung. He needs it biopsied and removed ASAP. 
    My mom's recovering from a ruptured spleen from a car accident last week. It's gonna be a long road. 

It's been a real tough week. 
    I got so much going on right now, I just feel like I need to vent. I just wanna scream sometimes. 
    Sending positive thoughts and prayers to you and your family

• Options
    AO253126AO253126 Posts: 363
    MedozK said:
    I was thinking that same thing.
    Yeah, my God, why? What happened that caused him to want to take an extra dose? It hurts just to even think about it, but did we at the show contribute to or cause his anxiety? After he spent the whole night raving about how awesome Detroit crowds are, and he even tweeted it before the show, but then before the last notes of Slaves & Bulldozers even finished, people were streaming to the exits to beat traffic... what if we had all stayed, "demanded" another encore?