RIP Chris Cornell

Comments

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,931

I was hoping to wake up this morning and not have a heavy heart. 

I found out late yesterday afternoon my father, who was being treated for pneumonia, has a large mass on his lung. He needs it biopsied and removed ASAP. 
    My mom's recovering from a ruptured spleen from a car accident last week. It's gonna be a long road. 

It's been a real tough week. 
    I got so much going on right now, I just feel like I need to vent. I just wanna scream sometimes. 
    sorry man...life has a way of just kicking you in the gut.  Best wishes to you and your family
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • The AkkusThe Akkus Posts: 1,093

I found out late yesterday afternoon my father, who was being treated for pneumonia, has a large mass on his lung. He needs it biopsied and removed ASAP. 
    My mom's recovering from a ruptured spleen from a car accident last week. It's gonna be a long road. 

I got so much going on right now, I just feel like I need to vent. I just wanna scream sometimes. 

Sending prayers your way. If it ever gets to be too heavy and you need to vent to someone, you can always reach out to me. I know that I'm a stranger, but I always have an open door.
    1998 - Noblesville * Knoxville
    2000 - Noblesville * Cincinnati * Columbus
    2003 - Lexington * East Troy * Noblesville* Columbus
    2006 - Cincinnati
    2008 - NYC night 1 * NYC night 2
    2009 - EV Solo Nashville
    2010 - Columbus * Noblesville * Cleveland
    2011 - East Troy night 1 * East Troy night 2
    2014 - Cincinnati
    2016 - Greenville * Lexington
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,353

Damn, sending positive vibes, I hope everything turns out ok.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    AO253126 said:
    MedozK said:
    god. this just adds an extra topping of tragedy to this. 
    I was thinking that same thing.
    Yeah, my God, why? What happened that caused him to want to take an extra dose? It hurts just to even think about it, but did we at the show contribute to or cause his anxiety? After he spent the whole night raving about how awesome Detroit crowds are, and he even tweeted it before the show, but then before the last notes of Slaves & Bulldozers even finished, people were streaming to the exits to beat traffic... what if we had all stayed, "demanded" another encore? 
    no. people take anti-anxiety meds all the time. taking an extra dose is extremely common. most people don't have those side effects. but some do. maybe he had taken extra doses before without incident. we'll never know why, or if, that contributed this time. but it's no one's fault. I know it can be difficult to reconcile an accident and have no one/thing to blame, but an accident is all it may have been. 

so sad. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,079

Aw man. Sorry to hear this. The universe operates in ways......I started my day yesterday hearing about this, then my cousin notified our family a friend of his on his lacrosse team committed suicide, then our sitter texted that her father had passed away yesterday and needed time off, then my colleague right across the hall ran out her office at 4:30pm to be with her daughter, who gave birth to a healthy baby boy late last night. Boston Lee. Death, life.....
    www.cluthelee.com
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,188

Can't imagine what you're going through. Sometimes shit just doesn't stop piling up. Take care of yourself and reach out to your friends and other family to stay strong.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • AO253126AO253126 Posts: 362

Strength to you. Hoping and praying for the best...
  • stevedsteved Posts: 651
    A couple other shows I filmed from on the stage or front row over the years.. So sad this won't happen again...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_4vJvXQrbA&t=798s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVpF2_MhPt8

1994 - Pensacola, Miami, Atlanta - 1995 - Milwaukee, Milwaukee, New Orleans (Tickets to Phoenix, Las Cruces, Austin, Shows Canceled) - 1996 - Randalls Island, Randalls Island, Charlotte, N.Charleston, Ft. Lauderdale - 1997 - Oakland -1998 - Alpine Valley, Alpine Valley, Chicago, West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach -  2000 - West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach, Phoenix, Las Vegas (10th Anniversary Show)  - 2003 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Atlanta, Nashville, Camden, Camden, MSG, MSG - 2004 - Kissimmee, Fl  -  2006 - Irving Plaza, Albany, Hartford, Denver, Denver, Las Vegas - 2007 - Ed w/ Jack Irons & Flea in LA  - 2008 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Columbia, Camden, Camden, Washington D.C. - 2009 - L.A., San Diego, Philly Spectrum Night 3 & 4  - 2010 - New Orleans, Columbus, Indianapolis, Hartford, MSG, MSG - 2011 - Ed - Hartford, Providence, Boston - 2011 - Alpine Valley X2 (PJ20), Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver - 2012 - Ed - Ft. Lauderdale x2, - 2012 / 2014 Beautiful Daughter "Emily" born 11/07/12. On the bench for 3 years! She's really cute though! - 2015 - Mexico City - 2016 - Ft. Laud, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Greenville, Raleigh, Columbia, Philly 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley Night 1 & 2 - 2016 - MSG, San Francisco, San Francisco, Seattle, Seattle (TOTD) - 2018 - Seattle 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2

• lotsalemonlotsalemon Boston Posts: 2,733

thx guys - didn't intend to derail the topic...just felt good typing it out and slamming the POST COMMENT button. 
    thx for your support!
    Mansfield 06.28.2008 | Boston 05.17.2010 | Boston 06.19.2011 EV solo | Wrigley Field 07.19.2013 | Worcester 10.15.2013 | Worcester 10.16.2013 | Hartford 10.25.2013
    Vancouver 12.04.2013 | Seattle 12.06.2013 | Memphis 10.14.2014 | Quebec City 05.05.2016 | Ottawa 05.08.2016 | Toronto 05.11.2016 | Boston 08.05.2016 | Boston 08.07.2016 | Amsterdam 06.12.2018 | Boston 09.02.2018 | Boston 09.04.2018

• deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434

thx guys - didn't intend to derail the topic...just felt good typing it out and slamming the POST COMMENT button. 
    thx for your support!
    :hug:  
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,174
    I can remember back in 2012 at a show Ed was talking about how he lost a good friend, Dennis from The Frogs (who I actually knew and loved, they are pretty obscure)... He was in tears on stage. We were all sobbing and I don't even think most of the crowd had even heard of The Frogs, it was just so emotional everyone lost it. I cannot even fathom the sadness Eddie and all of the PJ guys have right now. When PJ eventually talks about this I don't know that I can even take it. I've been in tears all day today and that's probably going to put me right over the edge. I'm so, so sorry for everyone that was fortunate enough to have this amazing man n their lives.

I too loved Dennis and the Frogs, but I only met him a few times. his death was so unexpected. this reminds me more of Dennis' tragic death than the cobain/stayley.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• dougfloyddougfloyd Fishers, IN Posts: 2,544
    Not that anyone can ever know what Chris was truly thinking but this was interesting read as we all try to make sense of this tragedy.  Yesterday was a very, very rough day to get through to say the least.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/chris-cornell-when-suicide-doesnt-make-sense_us_591e2496e4b07617ae4cbaac
    1998 - Noblesville
    2000 - Noblesville
    2010 - Noblesville
    2011 - EV solo St Louis, PJ20 Alpine Valley
    2012 - San Fran (Oracle)
    2013 - Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincy, St Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Lexington, Wrigley
    2018 - Wrigley
    2022 - Nashville, St Louis
    My wife sent me this video this morning. I hadn't seen this performance before. One of my favorite newer groups with the legendary Cornell. The limited vocals he adds are so amazing.
    <iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/148958889" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>
    <p><a href="">The Avett Brothers and Chris Cornell - Vanity</a> from <a href="https://vimeo.com/user1293181">Greg B</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>
  • bgirl59bgirl59 Tucson AZ Posts: 888
    :hug: no worries! My grandmother passed on Monday, our family was ready, and I didn't cry.....until I read Mr Cornell's family's statement this morning, I couldn't stop crying, for my family and for his family. I'll pray for you and your family, lotsalemon, and hope the Tenclub family's love and support will help you for a moment at least.....take care. :hug:
    PEARL JAM in 2024! Dark Matter and MORE ! THANK YOU!!   
    Peace Love & Pearl Jam forever!!
  • RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,358
    For me the hardest part in all this is the place I turn when im lost is no longer a place I can turn, the music. I cant listen to anything Chris without crying and PJ is only slightly better. 

As we all get older and our parents get sick or pass (I got home from Fenway last year and found our my dad had stage 4 lung cancer and a ton of blood clots) it gets harder to put my head down and power thru. lotsalemon, please reach out if you ever want to talk. Your dads situation sounds very familiar, and ill also say almost a year later, my dad is improving after we were prepared for the worst, so keep your chin up! 

Im a huge Beatles fan and my dad always turns them off and I asked him why once and he said, it makes him sad. It reminds him of a time that no longer exists. 

That's how all this music feels to me now. I play guitar and usually do it to unwind on the weekends...I cant even imagine playing it now... 

I pray it passes. 
  • juanceraolojuanceraolo Argentina Posts: 19
    AO253126 said:
    MedozK said:
    Yeah, my God, why? What happened that caused him to want to take an extra dose? It hurts just to even think about it, but did we at the show contribute to or cause his anxiety? After he spent the whole night raving about how awesome Detroit crowds are, and he even tweeted it before the show, but then before the last notes of Slaves & Bulldozers even finished, people were streaming to the exits to beat traffic... what if we had all stayed, "demanded" another encore? 
    Please, don't blame your self. It makes no sense and will make you feel worst. I don't like to talk much at this times, but I don't think that people reaction would affected him in the way you think. We shouldn't try to analyse that much, as we would never understand what was going on in his head. Send you a hug, hope you feel better.

My friends and I spent last day listening to his music and watching "Singles". But the whole time, half of my mind was thinking how many inner daemons he was facing. I never saw this coming and really made me change the way I see music world. I felt empy, I dont know how to put it on words. But now, with her wife words... If he took more pills and it really invited him to do what he did... I mean, please dont get me wrong, but yesterday I 100% didn't understand it. Today I don't 99,999999%. Its too sad, its a shit, but at least, i don't know, I may relate it with, at least some % of accident thing. Otherwise, I guess he wouldn't tell her. It's not less sad than before, but its a little bit more easy to understand. I don't know if I used correct words, but it helps me to be equal devastated, but a little bit more quiet. And though I don't think its moment to talk, that's the only reason Im sharing it: may helps others too.

Love to all, and thanks. Though I don't know anyone of you, the post, the messages, the words, help me to feel not that lonely.  Someone said "times are gone for honest man".
  • Electro_UKElectro_UK Posts: 119
    AO253126 said:
    MedozK said:
    Dude I'm listening to the show now. The crowd sounds lively and energetic. You can't blame yourself for this.
    "Hey Eddie, great show-- fuck you!"
    PJ - London 25/6/10, Manchester 20/6/12 + 21/6/12, Isle of Wight 23/6/12, Seattle 6/12/13, Leeds 8/7/14, Milton Keynes 11/7/14, Boston 5/8/16 + 7/8/16
    Ed - London 31/7/12, Amsterdam 27/5/17 + 30/5/17, London 6/6/17 + 7/6/17
  • shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,764
    RS65573 said:
    For me the hardest part in all this is the place I turn when im lost is no longer a place I can turn, the music. I cant listen to anything Chris without crying and PJ is only slightly better. 

As we all get older and our parents get sick or pass (I got home from Fenway last year and found our my dad had stage 4 lung cancer and a ton of blood clots) it gets harder to put my head down and power thru. lotsalemon, please reach out if you ever want to talk. Your dads situation sounds very familiar, and ill also say almost a year later, my dad is improving after we were prepared for the worst, so keep your chin up! 

Im a huge Beatles fan and my dad always turns them off and I asked him why once and he said, it makes him sad. It reminds him of a time that no longer exists. 

That's how all this music feels to me now. I play guitar and usually do it to unwind on the weekends...I cant even imagine playing it now... 

I pray it passes. 
    Wait a few days and then pick up the guitar. Don't think just detach and let your fingers and heart take over @RS65573
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • juanceraolojuanceraolo Argentina Posts: 19
    RS65573 said:

I pray it passes. 
    Dude, I understand what you saying. I really do, but there's a lot of people out there still enjoying it. There have been big losses thru the time, world kept spinning, music kept rolling, and it was learned how to recall those dears and kept their memories with us. Without trying sound like a silly slogan, it depends on us which way we take to go through it.

Take you time, Im sure one day you will sing all those songs louder than before. 
  • SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,922
    edited May 2017
    Singles Soundtrack Vinyl I must have drunk ordered just turned up - made me sad.
    Nature drunk and High
  • dougfloyd said:
    Not that anyone can ever know what Chris was truly thinking but this was interesting read as we all try to make sense of this tragedy.  Yesterday was a very, very rough day to get through to say the least.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/chris-cornell-when-suicide-doesnt-make-sense_us_591e2496e4b07617ae4cbaac
    Like all of us, I have been struggling with the questions of how/why???  Having a close relative that succumbed to this, a lot of feelings have come back to me that have been pushed back for a while now.  This is a GREAT article and I would encourage everyone to read it. Thank you Doug for sharing and this means a lot to me personally.  I really hope that this helps with his family and friends in their time of grief.
  • chitownp76chitownp76 Posts: 1,430
    Ive been hesitant to post anything regarding how im feeling about what happened yesterday. I felt alone and in a way odd for feeling grief for a man I did not know on a personal level, or even meet for that matter. After reading all the stories and watching the memorial in Seattle, I came to realize that its normal for fans to grieve. Yesterday, we lost a friend. Chris was always there, maybe not in person, but through his music. Its been said before but I truly believe that music is the greatest form of art there is. Regardless of how Im feeling, I always can turn to music. Chris had one of the most amazing voices Ive ever heard. As I sit here listening to his music, I think back to some moments where his music has played a part. Most of it makes me smile. Whether it was me swinging my brother on my shoulders pretending to be Chris and Ed in Hunger Strike or driving home on a Friday belting out Outshined in the car. Thank you Chris for your gift you have shared with me. You have left us too early but your music will live forever. 
    2014: Moline, IL
    2015: EV Solo (Metro Chicago)
    2016: Philadelphia PA 1, Philadelphia PA 2, New York City NY- MSG 1, EV Solo (Metro Chicago), Boston MA Fenway 1, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2017: EV Ohana Fest (Dana Point, CA), EV/Pete Townshend Quadrophenia Rosemont, IL
    2018: Seattle WA 1, Seattle WA 2, Missoula MT, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2, Boston MA Fenway 1, Boston MA Fenway 2
    2019: EV Tempe, AZ
    2020: PPD
    2022: EV & Earthlings Chicago 1 & 2, Phoenix AZ, Camden NJ, Nashville TN, St. Louis MO
    2023: EV Tempe, AZ, St Paul, MN 2, Chicago 1 & 2
    2024: Noblesville, IN, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
  • Release EVRelease EV Posts: 1,994

RS65573 said:

I pray it passes. 
    Dude, I understand what you saying. I really do, but there's a lot of people out there still enjoying it. There have been big losses thru the time, world kept spinning, music kept rolling, and it was learned how to recall those dears and kept their memories with us. Without trying sound like a silly slogan, it depends on us which way we take to go through it.

Take you time, Im sure one day you will sing all those songs louder than before. 
    Its now the wee hours of the morning wherever the fark i am, and a 2hr special of Chris is on Max. It pains to watch/listen. I dread being away from the family next week. Melodramatic, maybe to some, but the love they are giving me right now is amazing...like we lost a family member. My girl is 9 and the first song her guitar teacher taught her was Black Hole Sun (stripped back novice version), but she requested it. He was like this is so good....thought I would have to do a Taylor Swift.
    Her singing in the back of the car to Chris tune after Chris tune tonight brought a tear to the eye. A recent memory, but a great one.

RS65573 said:

I pray it passes. 

Its now the wee hours of the morning wherever the fark i am, and a 2hr special of Chris is on Max. It pains to watch/listen. I dread being away from the family next week. Melodramatic, maybe to some, but the love they are giving me right now is amazing...like we lost a family member. My girl is 9 and the first song her guitar teacher taught her was Black Hole Sun (stripped back novice version), but she requested it. He was like this is so good....thought I would have to do a Taylor Swift.
    Her singing in the back of the car to Chris tune after Chris tune tonight brought a tear to the eye. A recent memory, but a great one.
    not melodramatic at all. you feel what you feel.

my 7 year old daughter is taking guitar, has been for 6 months, at her insistence. it really is amazing to see. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

reading the lyrics in the Higher Truth liner notes probably isn't a good idea right now. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Floydman015Floydman015 Posts: 52
    reading the lyrics in the Higher Truth liner notes probably isn't a good idea right now. 

Dude, "Through The Window"  it's fuckin brutal but I must have listened to that 20 times yesterday in tears
    dougfloyd said:

Like all of us, I have been struggling with the questions of how/why???  Having a close relative that succumbed to this, a lot of feelings have come back to me that have been pushed back for a while now.  This is a GREAT article and I would encourage everyone to read it. Thank you Doug for sharing and this means a lot to me personally.  I really hope that this helps with his family and friends in their time of grief.
    Wow, that was a great article. I've never looked at it like that before. Sitting here listening to Higher Ground and reading that made me really sad for Chris and his family. Such a beautiful voice.
  • dougfloyddougfloyd Fishers, IN Posts: 2,544
    dougfloyd said:

I think we're all still trying to understand the how & why, at least I am.  I'm trying my best to try to think of the happier memories of Chris today but still grieving.  This one is going to take a long time to process and it's going to be tough to get through the next few weeks.  I can't even imagine what's it like for his family, friends, and bandmates.
    1998 - Noblesville
    2000 - Noblesville
    2010 - Noblesville
    2011 - EV solo St Louis, PJ20 Alpine Valley
    2012 - San Fran (Oracle)
    2013 - Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincy, St Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Lexington, Wrigley
    2018 - Wrigley
    2022 - Nashville, St Louis

Dude, "Through The Window"  it's fuckin brutal but I must have listened to that 20 times yesterday in tears
    Yeah, just listened to that one and brought me to tears for the first time since I heard about his death. Amazing album, but definitely hits hard right now.
  • Release EVRelease EV Posts: 1,994

RS65573 said:

I pray it passes. 

not melodramatic at all. you feel what you feel.

my 7 year old daughter is taking guitar, has been for 6 months, at her insistence. it really is amazing to see. 
    Cheers dude. You always have people's back on here. Noticed that for years now.
    And one day may our girls crank out Soundgarden riffs, even if they are 1/10th as good as we have them in our hearts.
    Fark, for you Aussies, Chris all over Rage...been going since 12.20am so missed over an hour damn it. Interviews, music and utter sadness.