RIP Chris Cornell

Comments

• sheckyshecky San Francisco Posts: 1,440
    Anyone having a tough time listening to anything Chris related? I played Euphoria Morning on Thursday, but haven't been able to make it through anything else since. 
    Try Audioslave's debut album. 
    That's how I began my day today, still trying to wrap my mind around this tragedy.
    The shear power of the music and Chris' vocals are tremendously encouraging on this record.
    And by the time the last song of the album, a ballad called "The Last Remaining Light", rolls around you'll have the strength to take it.
    Good luck
  • AO253126AO253126 Posts: 362
    Mattchew said:
    Anyone having a tough time listening to anything Chris related? I played Euphoria Morning on Thursday, but haven't been able to make it through anything else since. 
      Yes, I am definitely having a tough time.  I'm still in total shock and disbelief.  It hurts knowing that he isn't on this planet anymore, and that I will never get to see him perform again.
    Wednesday was my first and only time seeing him perform live. I just never knew anyone else who was into Soundgarden or his solo music so, not wanting to go alone, I would always pass whenever he came through town. When tickets went on sale this time, I said screw it. I'm buying two tickets and I'll go alone if I have to. I'm so glad I did but also mad at myself for not doing it sooner.

He seemed to be so vibrant with so many things going on. Beautiful wife and family that he adores and who loved him equally. All kinds of new music on the horizon. I just can't believe this is anything more than a horrible, horrible accident.

Which makes it suck even more, but before I feel too sorry for myself I remember what that beautiful family, and all of his friends, are all going through. Hopefully they will find some peace.

And I am absolutely struggling to listen to anything he's done without welling up. I'm running a marathon next weekend and I've always relied on his music to get me through "the wall". I am definitely going to be listening and I don't care if I'm a blubbering idiot the whole way.

Thanks for listening.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    My wife seems to believe a lot of this doesn't add up. The coroner rules suicide after a few hours? Other celebreties took weeks. Why after
    his wife called did it take 45 minutes for his bodyguard to reach him? The same guy who gave him the pills? Why wasn't he near Chris? Why did the hotel not have a key for room access? They state he was found with blood coming from his mouth. How does that happen when it's a hanging? Chris was very tall. How could an excercise band support him? What she's saying does make me question what happened.
    the hotel staff wouldn't give the bodyguard access to the room without chris's permission,which is why he knocked the door down. 

a bodyguard doesn't need to be near his boss 24/7. only when out in public usually. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,362
    Can't listen to anything he's written yet. Someday, though.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    maybe listening to sg and cc solo and nothing else the past 3 days is what's causing me to be such a hot mess. but i feel the need to experience his brilliance right now. i was actually listening to totd all day on wednesday. alrhough i haven't listened to any audioslave. liked the first record, the other two not so much. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,209
    morello said:
    Ryan Adams is playing a gig here in Auckland New Zealand right now & I've just been text to say he's playing Black Hole Sun.
    Its uyp on youtube now.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgdEqdurT1g&feature=youtu.be&app=desktop
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,830
    Normally in a situation like this when an artist I love dies, I'd reach for TOTD, Chris' words were always a real comfort.  Not really an option for me, given the circumstances though.  I've not really listened to anything other than a couple of the tributes people have done since the news broke.  I've just put on some REM though, forgot how much I miss Michael Stipe's voice.
  • EddieshometownEddieshometown Evanston, IL Posts: 974
    I'm still having trouble digesting everything that happened over the last few days.  I have suffered from depression/anxiety myself and have taken Ativan on and off for the past 15 years or so.  I don't think we can ever make sense of this but if you want to help others who suffer for depression, the American Federation of Suicide Prevention is a great organization.  

https://afsp.org/take-action/give-a-gift/
    6/26/98 & 6/27/98 - Alpine Valley, 10/9/00 - Allstate Arena - Rosemont, IL 6/18/2003 - United Center, 5/16/2006 - United Center,
    5/17/2006 - United Center (7th row center, caught Eddie's pick), 6/29/2006 - Summerfest with Tom Petty,
    8/24/2009 - United Center, 7/19/2013 - Wrigley Field, 10/3/2014 - St Louis, 10/17/2014 - Moline (GA), 10/20/2014 - Milwaukee,
    5/14/2015 - Pete Townshend/EV, 8/20/16 & 8/22/16 Wrigley Field Part 2&3, 8/18/18 & 8/20/18 Wrigley Parts 4 & 5, 9/18/2022 - St Louis
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,626
    mfc2006 said:
    Can't listen to anything he's written yet. Someday, though.
    I think i can but my wife absolutely can't.  
  • RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,358
    maybe listening to sg and cc solo and nothing else the past 3 days is what's causing me to be such a hot mess. but i feel the need to experience his brilliance right now. i was actually listening to totd all day on wednesday. alrhough i haven't listened to any audioslave. liked the first record, the other two not so much. 
    I'm not listening to any of it yet and I'm a hot mess so I don't think it matters. I grieve by letting time go by and then drowning in it. I just hope it hurts less soon. I'm a big Roy Orbison fan and I feel like I was too young then to separate the music from the loss. For me that's the goal. Get over the loss so I can have the music back. :(
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,830
    For me at the moment I'm finding it hard to reconcile the messages of strength in songs like Times Of Trouble with the reality of how he died.  I'm worried my feelings towards his music will forever be altered.
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,251
    edited May 2017
    I couldn't face Songbook on Thursday, but it was the only cd I had in the car Since then I've only listened to SG, TOTD and Unplugged In Sweden.

I didn't think I could handle it, but it's actually been helping.
    Post edited by goldrush on
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,599
    For those that are interested the funeral for Chris is reportedly going to be on May 26th in L.A. 
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/20/entertainment/chris-cornell-funeral-plans/index.html?sr=fb052017chriscornellfuneralplans651pVODtopLink

• Maggie_stMaggie_st Posts: 6
    Singer songwritter "Nick Drake", commented suicide back in 1974.  He captured depression in a song called "Black Eyed Dog".  Winston Churchill who fought depression all his life call it the "Black Eyed Dog".   I am 54 and have fought with depression everyday of my life.  That Black Eyed Dog always walks by my side.  Meds can help or hurt but depression is always with you, maybe the dog isn't right next to you, but it follows you.  You can get to the point where you are just tired of "faking" of being  ok to your friends and family.  But you don't want to see the saddest and hurt or anger in their eyes.  So you fake it.  But if you are depressed that Black Eyed Dog is with you.  Maybe Chris was just so absolutely tired of faking or fighting the Black Eyed Dog any longer.  He only knows.  My heart breaks for his family.  Must be cruel to deal with.  But I seem to be different from a lot of sympathy, I feel the must sorrow for Chris. He must of just got tired of fighting the
    his Black Eyed Dog.  To all us depressed people out there, you keep fighting that Black Eyed Dog and know there are 1000's of us walking the Black Eyed Dog with you.      Hang on, get help and find something to hang on to.
     Maggie
  • yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291
    Popped in Songbook today and it left me completely gutted...
    “May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra
  • MattchewMattchew Posts: 1,345
    AO253126 said:
    Mattchew said:
      Yes, I am definitely having a tough time.  I'm still in total shock and disbelief.  It hurts knowing that he isn't on this planet anymore, and that I will never get to see him perform again.
    Wednesday was my first and only time seeing him perform live. I just never knew anyone else who was into Soundgarden or his solo music so, not wanting to go alone, I would always pass whenever he came through town. When tickets went on sale this time, I said screw it. I'm buying two tickets and I'll go alone if I have to. I'm so glad I did but also mad at myself for not doing it sooner.

He seemed to be so vibrant with so many things going on. Beautiful wife and family that he adores and who loved him equally. All kinds of new music on the horizon. I just can't believe this is anything more than a horrible, horrible accident.

Which makes it suck even more, but before I feel too sorry for myself I remember what that beautiful family, and all of his friends, are all going through. Hopefully they will find some peace.

And I am absolutely struggling to listen to anything he's done without welling up. I'm running a marathon next weekend and I've always relied on his music to get me through "the wall". I am definitely going to be listening and I don't care if I'm a blubbering idiot the whole way.

Thanks for listening.
      I'm glad you got to see him at least once.  I'm positive that any of his music will help you during your marathon next week.
  • pearljam1809pearljam1809 Posts: 863
    I found the listening part tough, but I finally did it today and enjoyed his voice. What I still can´t do is watch him on video though
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,554
    Normally in a situation like this when an artist I love dies, I'd reach for TOTD, Chris' words were always a real comfort.  Not really an option for me, given the circumstances though.  I've not really listened to anything other than a couple of the tributes people have done since the news broke.  I've just put on some REM though, forgot how much I miss Michael Stipe's voice.
    I was just yesterday thinking about R.E.M.'s "Everybody Hurts".  Right then it was the right song, especially the live version on the flip side of the 12" "What's the Frequency Kenneth" single.  Hugely sad, but perfect.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• PearlgardnPearlgardn Here, there, everywhere Posts: 14
    edited May 2017
    I keep hoping there's been a mistake, or its a hoax, but I know in my heart it's true. To say I am sad is an understatement. Theres a hole in my heart and an emptiness in my soul.

Post edited by Pearlgardn on
    "Tomorrow is not promised, make plans anyway." - Lin Manuel Miranda
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,459
    Down on the Upside is just an amazing an album.  The first  Soundgarden album I ever bought.  It's absolutely a perfect record.  We are very lucky to have got to enjoy the work of Chris Cornell. 
  • stevedsteved Posts: 651
    SGN SNL 96 rebroadcast on now on NBC EST
    1994 - Pensacola, Miami, Atlanta - 1995 - Milwaukee, Milwaukee, New Orleans (Tickets to Phoenix, Las Cruces, Austin, Shows Canceled) - 1996 - Randalls Island, Randalls Island, Charlotte, N.Charleston, Ft. Lauderdale - 1997 - Oakland -1998 - Alpine Valley, Alpine Valley, Chicago, West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach -  2000 - West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach, Phoenix, Las Vegas (10th Anniversary Show)  - 2003 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Atlanta, Nashville, Camden, Camden, MSG, MSG - 2004 - Kissimmee, Fl  -  2006 - Irving Plaza, Albany, Hartford, Denver, Denver, Las Vegas - 2007 - Ed w/ Jack Irons & Flea in LA  - 2008 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Columbia, Camden, Camden, Washington D.C. - 2009 - L.A., San Diego, Philly Spectrum Night 3 & 4  - 2010 - New Orleans, Columbus, Indianapolis, Hartford, MSG, MSG - 2011 - Ed - Hartford, Providence, Boston - 2011 - Alpine Valley X2 (PJ20), Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver - 2012 - Ed - Ft. Lauderdale x2, - 2012 / 2014 Beautiful Daughter "Emily" born 11/07/12. On the bench for 3 years! She's really cute though! - 2015 - Mexico City - 2016 - Ft. Laud, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Greenville, Raleigh, Columbia, Philly 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley Night 1 & 2 - 2016 - MSG, San Francisco, San Francisco, Seattle, Seattle (TOTD) - 2018 - Seattle 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2

• NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,295
    Down on the Upside is just an amazing an album.  The first  Soundgarden album I ever bought.  It's absolutely a perfect record.  We are very lucky to have got to enjoy the work of Chris Cornell. 
    Boot camp has been rough but powerful past few days.  "There must be something good... far away"
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,626
    Just makes no sense. 
  • Glorified_NGlorified_N Posts: 57
    I saw you suffering
    Through a foggy window in the rain
    When you thought no one was watching, yeah
    Going through your memories
    Like so many prisons to escape
    And become someone else
    With another face
    And another name
    No more suffering

Rest peacefully, Chris. 
  • FrankY59FrankY59 Posts: 1,048
    From that article above:

When we talk openly about the chemical side of suicidal thoughts, we teach people in the deepest moment of suicidal ideation to step back, just as if they were having the signs of a stroke and say, “Wait! This is not me and it is not what I want. I need immediate help.”

Information that must be drilled home to people suffering from depression and having suicidal thoughts.

My wife has manic depression.  We have two beautiful boys 2 and 4.  She has mentioned ideas of harming herself in the past but never actually had a plan.  The more I read through everything and anything related to CC the more I worry I'm married to a ticking time bomb.  The thought of my boys without their mother would destroy me.  I feel helpless.
  • Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,833
    Spent the last couple days just listening to SG/CC stuff.. Finally hit shuffle on the music tonight to get back to the rest of the music world and this came on. This is just a great song..... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQiS6ml0eDo
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

• yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291
    FrankY59 said:
    From that article above:

When we talk openly about the chemical side of suicidal thoughts, we teach people in the deepest moment of suicidal ideation to step back, just as if they were having the signs of a stroke and say, “Wait! This is not me and it is not what I want. I need immediate help.”

Information that must be drilled home to people suffering from depression and having suicidal thoughts.

My wife has manic depression.  We have two beautiful boys 2 and 4.  She has mentioned ideas of harming herself in the past but never actually had a plan.  The more I read through everything and anything related to CC the more I worry I'm married to a ticking time bomb.  The thought of my boys without their mother would destroy me.  I feel helpless.
    Teaching someone how to combat those thoughts and to have a plan when those thoughts creep in is almost 100% of the time done in therapy with a trained professional. If she isn't already, you should have your wife in therapy on a regular basis. 
    “May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra
  • juanceraolojuanceraolo Argentina Posts: 19
    For me at the moment I'm finding it hard to reconcile the messages of strength in songs like Times Of Trouble with the reality of how he died.  I'm worried my feelings towards his music will forever be altered.
    Feeling the same way. It will be utterly impossible not to think "he is not here anymore" while listening to his voice. I hope one day we could separate things. This man was a ton of answers for me, now I am full of questions.

What have recently happened has nothing to do with what he has done at others moments in his life. In some way yes, but I feel, i don't know, he wasn't clean, he couldn't think properly. I mean, I have no idea, it's just too sad. 
  • Brannigans lawBrannigans law Posts: 120
    edited May 2017
    Feeling the same way. It will be utterly impossible not to think "he is not here anymore" while listening to his voice. I hope one day we could separate things. This man was a ton of answers for me, now I am full of questions.

What have recently happened has nothing to do with what he has done at others moments in his life. In some way yes, but I feel, i don't know, he wasn't clean, he couldn't think properly. I mean, I have no idea, it's just too sad. 
    You are over complicating things. Whether he did this on his own omission or under the influence of perception drugs, does not change the person he was or the songs 's wrote at the time. 
  • vzouzalvzouzal Posts: 202
    Like so many of us, I too am struggling immensely with the passing of Chris. I lost my uncle to suicide when I was 14. I was extremely close to him and music helped me cope with his passing. Without music, particularly PJ and Soundgarden, I truly believe I would have been lost. Now I sit here watching fire burn, all those memories feel like a fresh wound. Thankfully I have music there to help yet again.
     https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hGYEa6_pQug

"I'll never doubt why we met or how we'll remain".

Rest in Peace Chris