Options

Is America the greatest country in the world?

Comments

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,889
    Back to work the day after my surgery.

Now I understand how women giving birth in the US feels like.
    Unless you pushed your appendix through the hole of your penis I don't think you have any clue what giving birth feels like.  ;)
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Black Friday always makes me laugh.  Fuck I'd pay pull price before I mess around with those crowds...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

Laparoscopic, I take it?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

Unless you pushed your appendix through the hole of your penis I don't think you have any clue what giving birth feels like.  ;)
    It's obvious ofc, but I'm taking about the piss poor treatment of parents (and small children) is in the US.

SWEDEN:
    3 months paid leave for each parent. 300 more days to share. 

USA:
    No paid leave. Max 12 weeks of unpaid parental leave.

U-S-A! U-S-A! 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Laparoscopic, I take it?
    Yes, I guess its called that... Got three holes in me instead of one big one. Haha. But it was very infected so it wasn't as easy as it usually is, but they didn't have to cut me up.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    mcgruff10 said:

It's obvious ofc, but I'm taking about the piss poor treatment of parents (and small children) is in the US.

SWEDEN:

USA:

U-S-A! U-S-A! 
    Piss poor treatment?  What are you talking about?
    Both my wife and I both got six weeks paid leave (New Jersey) after my youngest song was born.  
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

SWEDEN:

USA:

U-S-A! U-S-A! 
    Both my wife and I both got six weeks paid leave (New Jersey) after my youngest song was born.  
    What am I talking about?

"This is one of the lowest levels of leave in the industrialized world. In comparison to other countries, the United States is one of the only countries in the world, and the only OECD member, that has not passed laws requiring business and corporations to offer paid maternity leave to their employees.[3]"
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,732

Brutal!  Don't over do it!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

SWEDEN:

USA:

U-S-A! U-S-A! 
    What am I talking about?

"This is one of the lowest levels of leave in the industrialized world. In comparison to other countries, the United States is one of the only countries in the world, and the only OECD member, that has not passed laws requiring business and corporations to offer paid maternity leave to their employees.[3]"
    You are obsessed bro. 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

SWEDEN:

USA:

U-S-A! U-S-A! 
    my wife got a year. we could have split it between us if we had chosen to do that. canada is actually, to my knowledge, considering lengthening paid leave to 2 years. 

I recall my wife's sister in law who lives in Green Bay and has very good private benefits was back at work when their first born was 6 weeks old. I simply cannot imagine handing my 6 week old over to another caregiver. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,023
    edited November 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

SWEDEN:

USA:

U-S-A! U-S-A! 
    What am I talking about?

You are obsessed bro. 
    You're hiding in ignorance under your flag bro. Paid school lunches, Paternal leave by law etc. Stuff you can learn other countries do better than that one nation under god you think is the best becaue you know nothing else.

I love my country - because my country is all that I know.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

SWEDEN:

USA:

U-S-A! U-S-A! 
    What am I talking about?

You are obsessed bro. 
    how is it obsessing when he answered the question you asked him? how is it obsessing when all you wish for is for other humans to have the same benefits you have and can't undestand why a country so "rich" refuses to do this for its citizens, citizens who by and large can't afford these things out of pocket, and are proven to make society better, not make people lazier and "living off the government". no one is living off the government. they are paying taxes to a pool and people get benefits drawn from that pool. 

it's the same idea as "it takes a village to raise a child". why is it such a horrible concept for everyone to help each other? I have two loaves of bread, you have none, here, I'll give you half of one of mine. I still have enough for myself and mine of what I earned, but now I got to help another person who may not have had the same means as I did to earn my 2 loaves. 

it just amazes me that americans complain about so much, but when people outside their borders give suggestions regarding what has worked for them, they get their backs up and start shouting about how great america is.

are there ways that america does better than canada or sweden or other parts of europe? of course there are. I welcome those suggestions. I don't tell people they are obsessed with my country and that it wouldn't work because our countries aren't comparable. 

if someone starts a "is canada the greatest country in the world?", go ahead and comment as much as you wish. 

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

SWEDEN:

USA:

U-S-A! U-S-A! 
    What am I talking about?

You are obsessed bro. 
    how is it obsessing when he answered the question you asked him? how is it obsessing when all you wish for is for other humans to have the same benefits you have and can't undestand why a country so "rich" refuses to do this for its citizens, citizens who by and large can't afford these things out of pocket, and are proven to make society better, not make people lazier and "living off the government". no one is living off the government. they are paying taxes to a pool and people get benefits drawn from that pool. 

it's the same idea as "it takes a village to raise a child". why is it such a horrible concept for everyone to help each other? I have two loaves of bread, you have none, here, I'll give you half of one of mine. I still have enough for myself and mine of what I earned, but now I got to help another person who may not have had the same means as I did to earn my 2 loaves. 

it just amazes me that americans complain about so much, but when people outside their borders give suggestions regarding what has worked for them, they get their backs up and start shouting about how great america is.

are there ways that america does better than canada or sweden or other parts of europe? of course there are. I welcome those suggestions. I don't tell people they are obsessed with my country and that it wouldn't work because our countries aren't comparable. 

if someone starts a "is canada the greatest country in the world?", go ahead and comment as much as you wish. 

I mean he is obsessed with this thread.  Every day is something new.  He had an appendix removed and now he knows what it is like to give birth.  come on bro.  lol.  It isn't even close.  
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

SWEDEN:

USA:

U-S-A! U-S-A! 
    What am I talking about?

You are obsessed bro. 

I mean he is obsessed with this thread.  Every day is something new.  He had an appendix removed and now he knows what it is like to give birth.  come on bro.  lol.  It isn't even close.  
    He wasn't comparing the act of giving birth to having his appendix out. he was comparing having to go back to work so soon after a major physically traumatic event. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    and he's no more obsessed with it than you are. or I am. if he was listing positive traits of america every day, I bet you wouldn't call him obsessed, you'd proabably be praising him for "this guy gets it!". 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

SWEDEN:

USA:

U-S-A! U-S-A! 
    My wife got 8 weeks unpaid and her boss acted like he was a Saint and she owed him, and shoved extra work her way before and after to make up for it.  I got 5 days, because I used all my personal days and called off a day.
    'merica
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,544
    PJPOWER said:
    my2hands said:
    my2hands said:
    my2hands said:
    Glad my hard earned tax dollars are being put to good use bombing children with remote controls 

Well done
    But you still think it's the greatest country?
    Never said it was the greatest, and i'm very aware of my countries downfalls, thank you very much

Dude, you fucking obsess about America. Do you wake up ranting about the evil USA? Good lord
    I think this thread concerns America. I might be wrong though. English is not my first language.
    And you have 20 pages worth of "America sucks!" posts. We get it bud, the horse is dead 
    And if America sucks so bad, why do some people here spend so much of their day trying to convince people that it does?  Compensation, validation?  Sweden doesn’t suck, but my impression by the representatives here is that the people there sure do.
    We may have some crappy things that happen here, but we sure as hell are generous:
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/america-new-zealand-and-canada-top-list-of-world-s-most-generous-nations-a6849221.html
    Didn't this conversation already happen for several pages? Why are you having it again? Just read back in the thread.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    How long do you think this thread would last if Americans stayed out of it? I think it would be interesting to find out. 
  • Options
    How long do you think this thread would last if Americans stayed out of it? I think it would be interesting to find out. 
    it should probably die now regardless. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited November 2018
    brianlux said:
    MayDay10 said:
    for many many years NYC was in my top 5 travel destinations, but the last few years it has dwindled to near the bottom. just doesn't interest me. I'd love to see San Fran though. my wife's cousin frequents there and loves it. 

I strongly dislike NYC.  Its crowded, expensive, and dirty

And noisy.

I've been the NYC three time but not since the late 80's.  I'd like to go one more time for one reason- I never saw Central Park!
    NYC is the best place I've ever been, literally. I fucking love that city. But I doubt I would have felt the same if I went in the 80s, when it was still completely crime ridden and filthy and everything. It's changed a lot since then from what I gather, and 9/11 changed it too I think. Part of the reason I loved it so much was because I felt so relatively safe to walk around at night (I mean, in the more obvious areas where visitors might wander anyway - I'm sure there are still sketchy neighborhoods somewhere, but I didn't stumble upon any of them). And it seemed clean to me too, again, relatively. Notwithstanding the fact that all the garbage is left on the sidewalks for pick up everyday, lol. But I didn't mind it THAT much. The fact that you can just walk down the street and be completely entertained at any time of the day, on any street, more than made up for it.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

SWEDEN:

USA:

U-S-A! U-S-A! 
    What am I talking about?

You are obsessed bro. 

Why don't you just let him post in peace?? I've never seen anyone get so shit on like this specifically just because he's posting in a thread a lot. Obviously he's doing it because he has a lot to say and is interested. Debate what he's saying, but not the fact that he's saying it.
  • Options
    it should probably die now regardless. 
    Yeah, I don't really think we'd be able to keep out anyway.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    MayDay10 said:
    for many many years NYC was in my top 5 travel destinations, but the last few years it has dwindled to near the bottom. just doesn't interest me. I'd love to see San Fran though. my wife's cousin frequents there and loves it. 

And noisy.

I've been the NYC three time but not since the late 80's.  I'd like to go one more time for one reason- I never saw Central Park!
    NYC is the best place I've ever been, literally. I fucking love that city. But I doubt I would have felt the same if I went in the 80s, when it was still completely crime ridden and filthy and everything. It's changed a lot since then from what I gather, and 9/11 changed it too I think. Part of the reason I loved it so much was because I felt so relatively safe to walk around at night (I mean, in the more obvious areas where visitors might wander anyway - I'm sure there are still sketchy neighborhoods somewhere, but I didn't stumble upon any of them). And it seemed clean to me too, again, relatively. Notwithstanding the fact that all the garbage is left on the sidewalks for pick up everyday, lol. But I didn't mind it THAT much. The fact that you can just walk down the street and be completely entertained at any time of the day, on any street, more than made up for it.
    These are the same reasons we loved and disliked montreal. we were walking around downtown at 3am and it was completely safe because there were so many people. but the trash on the sidewalks was gross. old city=no back lanes. 

we also happened to go there the same week as the 25th anniversary as the jazz festival, which was completley by luck, and may have had something to do with how many people there are out and about, but I was told it's like that all the time. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited November 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

SWEDEN:

USA:

U-S-A! U-S-A! 
    What am I talking about?

You are obsessed bro. 

He wasn't comparing the act of giving birth to having his appendix out. he was comparing having to go back to work so soon after a major physically traumatic event. 
    Yes going back to work after getting an appendix out is the same as going back to work after having a baby.  Riiiiiight.
    so if Sweden is so different than the us why did you have to go back to work so soon?
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

SWEDEN:

USA:

U-S-A! U-S-A! 
    What am I talking about?

You are obsessed bro. 

Yes going back to work after getting an appendix out is the same as going back to work after having a baby.  Riiiiiight.
    so if Sweden is so different than the us why did you have to go back to work so soon?
    You ever had holes punched into your peritoneum?  No picnic. 
    The comparison was never a literal equation of the two anyways, you know that.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

SWEDEN:

USA:

U-S-A! U-S-A! 
    What am I talking about?

You are obsessed bro. 

blargh. 

he was simply stating that he understands what a new mother feels like, having to go back to work so soon after being in the hospital. HE WAS NOT COMPARING GIVING BIRTH TO HAVING AN APPENDECTOMY.

I went back to work a week after my appendectomy. my doctor gave me a note saying so, and I have corporate benefits that allowed me to do that without losing pay. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,023
    edited November 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

SWEDEN:

USA:

U-S-A! U-S-A! 
    What am I talking about?

You are obsessed bro. 

I didn't say it was the same - I used it to MAKE A POINT. That went straight over your head (obviously). 

I went back to work because I felt I should help my colleagues out with important deadline, and returned to the hospital for my last antibiotics "injection" after a few hours. I did not have to go back, but I felt like doing it. I have seven days of paid sick leave to take out, which both the doctor and my boss obviously think I should take out. But I still wanted to help out with the deadline.

You're a bit to obsessed with sticking up for your little country.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

SWEDEN:

USA:

U-S-A! U-S-A! 
    What am I talking about?

You are obsessed bro. 

I believe he said his boss told him to take the whole week off. Who knows why he chose not to? Glutton for punishment, maybe; he’d have to be, to be on here. 

Trying to make the argument that the American health care and labour systems are equivalent to those in Sweden is a pointless task. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    MayDay10 said:

And noisy.

It was better in the 80's.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    MayDay10 said:

And noisy.

It was better in the 80's.
    Some think so, but others don't. I know what it was like in the 80s, and I totally understand why many think it was better because it had more "soul" and personality and weirdness, and people get really nostalgic about that. But I think how dangerous is could be, especially for women, as well as how bad the drug problem was, the murder, rape, and general crime rates, as well as the abandoned/destroyed property issue, and total filth, is off-putting, despite the extra character the city had. I think it still has tons of character - just a different one. Although I certainly do wish I had experienced that New York as well. I get it. That simply isn't a New York that could possibly exist today.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
This discussion has been closed.