Options

Is America the greatest country in the world?

Comments

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,023
    edited November 2018
    had my appendix out several years ago. in Friday night, out Saturday morning, no bills, and a week off work to boot. 

#canadarocks
    Did you have one of those plastic tubles that goes down your noise and down your throat during surgery?
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    OnWis97 said:
    Annafalk said:
    Where lies the greatest city then?
    I know many who would vote for NY, haven't been there myself but I've heard many say it's the number one place to visit. They say for example being there is like walking around in a movie and other positive things.
    The greatest city is "Small Town USA."  Too many libtards in the big cities.

(OK, done being cynical)

I've been to most cities of significance in the USA.  My favorites are San Diego, Seattle, NYC, and Boston.  San Diego is weather-related to a large extent.  Seattle is laid back, has mild temperatures, very livable.  Boston is the ultimate walking city.  NYC is the ultimate transit city and there's not much that isn't there.  I'd love to live in NYC...if I made about three times what I make now.

Greatest city in the US?  That's just as silly as determining the greatest country in the world.  But from my point of view, NYC is right there on the short list.

In the World?  Well, I haven't been to enough.  I loved Dublin, because it was a great walking city.  Favorite smallish city: Florence.  Place I really want to flee to because of impending authoritarianism: Vancouver.
    Thanks for your information, cool that you've seen so many places. I hope to visit NY some day and also Dublin actually :) 
  • Options
    I liked how small Dublin was, but at the same time felt it was very expensive. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,732
    Annafalk said:
    I know many who would vote for NY, haven't been there myself but I've heard many say it's the number one place to visit. They say for example being there is like walking around in a movie and other positive things.
    Great question! 

Up until the late 90's, I would have voted San Francisco hands down.  But my beloved home city has been ruined by the computer industry's wealthy elite, gentrification, ever over-building (especially the disgusting phallic Salesforce Tower and the leaning Millennium Tower) and lack of housing for the masses of homeless wandering that once fine city.

So my guess these days would be Victoria or Vancouver, British Columbia or Montreal (a fine town my wife visited recently- from what she told me,  it sounds great.)
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    brianlux said:
    Annafalk said:
    Great question! 

Up until the late 90's, I would have voted San Francisco hands down.  But my beloved home city has been ruined by the computer industry's wealthy elite, gentrification, ever over-building (especially the disgusting phallic Salesforce Tower and the leaning Millennium Tower) and lack of housing for the masses of homeless wandering that once fine city.

So my guess these days would be Victoria or Vancouver, British Columbia or Montreal (a fine town my wife visited recently- from what she told me,  it sounds great.)
    That's sad about San Fransisco, I was there once it was great. We walked over the Golden Gate Bridge, drank great hot chocolate by the pier, visited Alcatraz etc. Had lots of fun. :)
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    had my appendix out several years ago. in Friday night, out Saturday morning, no bills, and a week off work to boot. 

#canadarocks
    Did you have one of those plastic tubles that goes down your noise and down your throat during surgery?
    not that I'm aware of. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    brianlux said:
    Annafalk said:
    Great question! 

I haven't travelled a tonne, but my wife and I went to Montreal for our honeymoon, and it was my favourite place so far. My wife has been all over Europe and she loved Montreal as well. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    brianlux said:
    Annafalk said:
    Great question! 

I haven't travelled a tonne, but my wife and I went to Montreal for our honeymoon, and it was my favourite place so far. My wife has been all over Europe and she loved Montreal as well. 
    Before seeing NYC Montreal felt like NYC (my perception of it) to me.

• Options

#canadarocks
    I don't think you've given us enough details about this hospital visit. Why don't you use your phone to take a picture of your various monitoring machines or the view from your window?
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    If you haven't been to Moosejaw, then you haven't lived.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    for many many years NYC was in my top 5 travel destinations, but the last few years it has dwindled to near the bottom. just doesn't interest me. I'd love to see San Fran though. my wife's cousin frequents there and loves it. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

#canadarocks
    I don't think you've given us enough details about this hospital visit. Why don't you use your phone to take a picture of your various monitoring machines or the view from your window?
    My phone broke this friday. Which made it really terrifying when my appendicitis started hurting like hell saturday night. Didn't really know how to contact anyone, like a taxi or ambulance, and started thinking about dying in my apartment alone...

So no phone.. so hard to take pictures of this swedish hospital
  • Options

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    for many many years NYC was in my top 5 travel destinations, but the last few years it has dwindled to near the bottom. just doesn't interest me. I'd love to see San Fran though. my wife's cousin frequents there and loves it. 

I strongly dislike NYC.  Its crowded, expensive, and dirty

• Options
    MayDay10 said:

And noisy.

I've been the NYC three time but not since the late 80's.  I'd like to go one more time for one reason- I never saw Central Park!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,889
    edited November 2018
    MayDay10 said:

I ve been to nyc probably close to a 150 times. Definitely crowded and expensive but not any dirtier than any other city. Personally I thought la was a shit hole. My favorite us cities:
    nyc, Boston, honululu, Anchorage, New Orleans, and chicago. 
    My favorite cities around the world: Galway, Seville, San Sebastián, Quebec City, Vienna, Munich and vancouver. 
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options

Send that to Agnes and get some bonus points. ;)
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,023
    edited November 2018

Haha, I did actually. We're talking right now. She thinks I'm stupid that I'll leave tomorrow at lunch the latest (because of my job) when the doctor wanted to keep me the whole day
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options

Haha, I did actually. We're talking right now. She thinks I'm stupid that I'll leave tomorrow at lunch the latest (because of my job) when the doctor wanted to keep me the whole day
    Hospital food in Sweden no good?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    brianlux said:
    MayDay10 said:

And noisy.

I've been the NYC three time but not since the late 80's.  I'd like to go one more time for one reason- I never saw Central Park!
    That was my favourite part, Strawberry Fields and seeing John Lennon's apartment building.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

You will win her over yet! 
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    None of the best places in the world are cities at all!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Every city I've ever been to is crawling with dirty, stinking, detestable animals that stampede around the place oblivious of their environment...raping, murdering, stealing and treating their pack like enemies, destroying all the other animals with wanton disregard and gluttonous appetite...nasty critters.
  • Options
    OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,487
    edited November 2018
    I really am an asshole. Sorry rgambs.
    Post edited by OffSheGoes35 on
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    rgambs said:
    Every city I've ever been to is crawling with dirty, stinking, detestable animals that stampede around the place oblivious of their environment...raping, murdering, stealing and treating their pack like enemies, destroying all the other animals with wanton disregard and gluttonous appetite...nasty critters.
    https://youtu.be/UFlAGDTxJJI
  • Options
    Yessir that's exactly what I'm saying!
    Never been disappointed to hear those bass notes ring out at a show, and I've been lucky to get it at least 4 times.
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Not the greatest until all of you get your rakes out and get raking
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    Egypt is the greatest country because it has the best Ra King in the world.

• Options
    Back to work the day after my surgery.

Now I understand how women giving birth in the US feels like.
  • Options
    Back to work the day after my surgery.

Now I understand how women giving birth in the US feels like.
    Double the labor...
    Double the fun!

This discussion has been closed.