Options

Is America the greatest country in the world?

Comments

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,244
    mcgruff10 said:
    23scidoo said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I do think America is the best in:
    wine. (Napa cabs are superior imo)
    craft beer. 
    Bbq
    vodka. (Tito s)

our national park system is also great.  From what I have seen in Canada I think their national park system is comparable. 
    In wine??..come on Mike!!..not even third on the world..
    I don;t know wine well enough, but for beer it's a no brainer.  Best beer in the world.
    Belgium definitely has some great beer but I think the us edges them out. 
    All I saw in Philadelphia was Lite-this and Diet-that.

When I asked for something "regular at Wells Fargo - The Bartender had leave to go find me something... "I found this dustY old heineken in a storage, the onlY regular beer we had. SorrY to keep You waiting, if You run¨back You might catch the end of Breath atleast..."
    Why are all of your "Y" letters capitalized in every post? Is it a hidden message that you believe the Y chromosome to be far superior or are you always just wondering why and have found a way to shorten it, or maybe you'd like Pearl Jam to make the follow-up song to "U" called "Y"?
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    23scidoo said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    craft beer. 
    Bbq
    vodka. (Tito s)

our national park system is also great.  From what I have seen in Canada I think their national park system is comparable. 
    I don;t know wine well enough, but for beer it's a no brainer.  Best beer in the world.

When I asked for something "regular at Wells Fargo - The Bartender had leave to go find me something... "I found this dustY old heineken in a storage, the onlY regular beer we had. SorrY to keep You waiting, if You run¨back You might catch the end of Breath atleast..."
    Why are all of your "Y" letters capitalized in every post? Is it a hidden message that you believe the Y chromosome to be far superior or are you always just wondering why and have found a way to shorten it, or maybe you'd like Pearl Jam to make the follow-up song to "U" called "Y"?
    A cup of tea spilled out over mY Macbook Air keYboard.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,554
    mcgruff10 said:
    craft beer. 
    Bbq
    vodka. (Tito s)

What makes Your "national park sYStems" better/different than other nations?

And okeY, other countries have sane health care sYStems, sane democratic sYstems, sane gun regulations etc, not Donald "fifth grade level" Trump in charge - You have bbq :) :P

Do You have "allemansrätt" in the US?

In Sweden allemansrätten (lit. "the everyman's right") is a freedom granted by the Constitution of Sweden. Since 1994 the Instrument of Government says that notwithstanding the right to own property "everyone shall have access to nature in accordance with allemansrätten".[9] What this means is not further explicated on in the constitution, and only sparsely in other legislation.[10] In practice, allemansrätten is defined as actions that are not crimes, will not make a person liable to pay damages, nor can be prohibited by any authority.[11] As in other Nordic countries, the Swedish right to roam comes with an equal emphasis being placed upon the responsibility to look after the countryside; the maxim is "do not disturb, do not destroy".

Allemansrätten gives a person the right to access, walk, cycle, ride, ski, and camp on any land—with the exception of private gardens, the immediate vicinity of a dwelling house and land under cultivation. Restrictions apply for nature reserves and other protected areas. It also gives the right to pick wild flowers, mushrooms and berries (provided one knows they are not legally protected), but not to hunt in any way. Swimming in any lake and putting an unpowered boat on any water is permitted unless explicitly forbidden. Visiting beaches and walking by a shoreline is permitted, providing it is not a part of a garden or within the immediate vicinity of a residence (legally defined as the hemfridszon). The hemfridszon's size depends on conditions but can be as large as 70 metres from an ordinary dwelling house.[10] To better protect access to water and the right to walk along beaches, it is since 1975 generally not permitted to build a new house near (generally 100 m) from a beach and/or shoreline.
    I don't see why this thread has to be used for a pissing contest...
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,892
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    23scidoo said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    craft beer. 
    Bbq
    vodka. (Tito s)

So you went to america and drank Dutch beer?  Come on man. (Monday night football reference there)
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,025
    edited October 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    23scidoo said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    craft beer. 
    Bbq
    vodka. (Tito s)

So you went to america and drank Dutch beer?  Come on man. (Monday night football reference there)
    The quote was not completelY true, I don't remember what she found back there. but something that ¨wasn't diet/lite/light

And she did remember me an hour later, even gave me a regular kind again without me asking. So must be rare...
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    craft beer. 
    Bbq
    vodka. (Tito s)

And okeY, other countries have sane health care sYStems, sane democratic sYstems, sane gun regulations etc, not Donald "fifth grade level" Trump in charge - You have bbq :) :P

In Sweden allemansrätten (lit. "the everyman's right") is a freedom granted by the Constitution of Sweden. Since 1994 the Instrument of Government says that notwithstanding the right to own property "everyone shall have access to nature in accordance with allemansrätten".[9] What this means is not further explicated on in the constitution, and only sparsely in other legislation.[10] In practice, allemansrätten is defined as actions that are not crimes, will not make a person liable to pay damages, nor can be prohibited by any authority.[11] As in other Nordic countries, the Swedish right to roam comes with an equal emphasis being placed upon the responsibility to look after the countryside; the maxim is "do not disturb, do not destroy".

Allemansrätten gives a person the right to access, walk, cycle, ride, ski, and camp on any land—with the exception of private gardens, the immediate vicinity of a dwelling house and land under cultivation. Restrictions apply for nature reserves and other protected areas. It also gives the right to pick wild flowers, mushrooms and berries (provided one knows they are not legally protected), but not to hunt in any way. Swimming in any lake and putting an unpowered boat on any water is permitted unless explicitly forbidden. Visiting beaches and walking by a shoreline is permitted, providing it is not a part of a garden or within the immediate vicinity of a residence (legally defined as the hemfridszon). The hemfridszon's size depends on conditions but can be as large as 70 metres from an ordinary dwelling house.[10] To better protect access to water and the right to walk along beaches, it is since 1975 generally not permitted to build a new house near (generally 100 m) from a beach and/or shoreline.
    true that.  I just think america like Canada has great national parks. Not the best but both countries Have wonderful national parks. 
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    craft beer. 
    Bbq
    vodka. (Tito s)

I asked two questions. I don't know how the national parks sYstem ¨works in the US or whY the US would be the best.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    California reds, especially the cabs, are way too overblown. I guess if you like that style, you like Californian cabs, but I don’t. 

Italian reds are much better, with greater variety in style. I also like a lot of Argentinian reds.

South African wines just suck.   
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    I don't even care. I buy BC wines exclusively now, just to support the local economy. Luckily, BC wines are some of the best in the world too. Most Americans wouldn't know that though, apparently. I tried to find some BC wines when I was down there, and there was literally not a single bottle on the shelves in any of the stores I went to.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    I don't even care. I buy BC wines exclusively now, just to support the local economy. Luckily, BC wines are some of the best in the world too. Most Americans wouldn't know that though, apparently. I tried to find some BC wines when I was down there, and there was literally not a single bottle on the shelves in any of the stores I went to.
    There are some good ones and some crap ones, and all tend to be overpriced, with the good ones at the extreme. Most good BC wines aren’t worth what they’re asking. 
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    I can’t find bc wines anywhere around me. The area around Toronto has some nice whites but boy was I not a fan of their dessert wines. Way too sweet for me. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I can’t find bc wines anywhere around me. The area around Toronto has some nice whites but boy was I not a fan of their dessert wines. Way too sweet for me. 
    Blech, dessert wines are revolting no matter what country they're from, lol.
  • Options
    California reds, especially the cabs, are way too overblown. I guess if you like that style, you like Californian cabs, but I don’t. 

Italian reds are much better, with greater variety in style. I also like a lot of Argentinian reds.

South African wines just suck.   
    Italian wines are a very close second for me. What region do you drink?  I love Pinot Grigio from the Dolomite area. (North eastern corner)

Agreed that South African wines are junk. I used to like pinotage but my tastes have changed. 
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    There are some good ones and some crap ones, and all tend to be overpriced, with the good ones at the extreme. Most good BC wines aren’t worth what they’re asking. 
    I think they are (the good ones, that is... Luckily my sister is a sommelier, so she knows which winery has a good or bad batch in any given year. One year a wine can be award winning, and the very next year the exact same wine can be crap; that is true for cheap and expensive wines alike; some years the best wine on the shelf might be an $11 bottle, and the next year it could be the $40 bottle (although I would rarely buy anything that costs more than $20 - there is no need to go higher, because there are plenty of great BC wines for less than that) ... But I don't see the BC wines as any "worse" priced compared any other country's wine in BC stores. It's ALL way overpriced. FFS, I bought a couple bottles of wine in the US - the same bottles that would have cost about $15 here cost $6 there! Booze is so expensive in BC, it's insane.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Aren't You getting fucked up stomachs from wine? Can't handle it. The daY after shits.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Aren't You getting fucked up stomachs from wine? Can't handle it. The daY after shits.
    Not at all. I've got a pretty solid stomach. Once in a while I get heart burn and take a Zantac, but that's not related to wine at all. I do have to stick to only white though, unfortunately, because even just one glass of red wine gives me a headache for some reason. But white wine? Hell, I can drink 2 bottles (I normally wouldn't!) and feel better than fine, lol.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I think they are (the good ones, that is... Luckily my sister is a sommelier, so she knows which winery has a good a bad batch in any given year. One year a wine can be award winning, and the very next year the exact same wine can be crap; that is true for cheap and expensive wines alike; some years the best wine on the shelf might be an $11 bottle, and the next year it could be the $40 bottle (although I would rarely buy anything that costs more than $20 - there is no need to go higher, because there are plenty of great BC wines for less than that) ... But I don't see the BC wines as any "worse" priced compared any other country's wine in BC stores. It's ALL way overpriced. FFS, I bought a couple bottles of wine in the US - the same bottles that would have cost about $15 here cost $6 there! Booze is so expensive in BC, it's insane.
    I'm sorry, what was that?  Your sister is a sommelier?!  Do tell more.
    I'm guessing bc has a lot of great pinot noir's like washington and oregon?
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    I drink red wine in moderation.  When I have too much I get dry mouth, my heart races at night and I can get reflux. (it doesn't help when I get together white my father in law and brother in law, we will go through 3-5 bottles of wine like it is nothing lol)  White wine I drink like it is the end of the world lol.  I absolutely love pinot grigio and do like sauvignon blanc from new zealand and chile although lately it is a little too tart for my palette.  
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I think they are (the good ones, that is... Luckily my sister is a sommelier, so she knows which winery has a good a bad batch in any given year. One year a wine can be award winning, and the very next year the exact same wine can be crap; that is true for cheap and expensive wines alike; some years the best wine on the shelf might be an $11 bottle, and the next year it could be the $40 bottle (although I would rarely buy anything that costs more than $20 - there is no need to go higher, because there are plenty of great BC wines for less than that) ... But I don't see the BC wines as any "worse" priced compared any other country's wine in BC stores. It's ALL way overpriced. FFS, I bought a couple bottles of wine in the US - the same bottles that would have cost about $15 here cost $6 there! Booze is so expensive in BC, it's insane.
    She is. She married rich, and basically had nothing better to do than become a sommelier, lol. Not that I'm panning it. If you don't have to work, that is a fine way to spend your time and energy! And she loves wine. Me, I don't really care. I really enjoy a wine when I'm drinking it because it tastes good and feels good, but I couldn't care less where it came from (except that I now buy BC for the local economy), how it was made, what's in it ... That's why it's nice to have an expert in the family - I have access to amazing wines that I'd never bother with when I go to their place, and I can just text her to ask "is this good?" when I'm randomly choosing bottles at the liquor store. I don't even have to think about it, lol.
    I can't really speak to the Pinot Noirs, since I sadly can't really drink red anymore. I can confirm that BC has some really, really excellent Pinot Gris though!

BTW, and to stay on topic, California and the Northwest have some excellent wines too. I just won't buy them at the moment (unless I'm in the US where I can't buy BC anyhow).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    I drink red wine in moderation.  When I have too much I get dry mouth, my heart races at night and I can get reflux. (it doesn't help when I get together white my father in law and brother in law, we will go through 3-5 bottles of wine like it is nothing lol)  White wine I drink like it is the end of the world lol.  I absolutely love pinot grigio and do like sauvignon blanc from new zealand and chile although lately it is a little too tart for my palette.  
    Chile does indeed have some fine sav blanc.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Gonna ditch the (regular, organic) beer this weekend and trY wine...for the first time in Years...
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,244
    This thread would more appropriately be titled World Hodgepodge for 1000, Alex.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Gonna ditch the (regular, organic) beer this weekend and trY wine...for the first time in Years...
    Go white. It isn’t my cup of tea but a lot of people like Riesling.  Too sweet for me. 
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    She is. She married rich, and basically had nothing better to do than become a sommelier, lol. Not that I'm panning it. If you don't have to work, that is a fine way to spend your time and energy! And she loves wine. Me, I don't really care. I really enjoy a wine when I'm drinking it because it tastes good and feels good, but I couldn't care less where it came from (except that I now buy BC for the local economy), how it was made, what's in it ... That's why it's nice to have an expert in the family - I have access to amazing wines that I'd never bother with when I go to their place, and I can just text her to ask "is this good?" when I'm randomly choosing bottles at the liquor store. I don't even have to think about it, lol.
    I can't really speak to the Pinot Noirs, since I sadly can't really drink red anymore. I can confirm that BC has some really, really excellent Pinot Gris though!

BTW, and to stay on topic, California and the Northwest have some excellent wines too. I just won't buy them at the moment (unless I'm in the US where I can't buy BC anyhow).
    That is a really cool story. So she works at a restaurant?  How long was the schooling?
    i like wines from Washington and Oregon a lot but they are always more expensive than California wines. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

That is a really cool story. So she works at a restaurant?  How long was the schooling?
    i like wines from Washington and Oregon a lot but they are always more expensive than California wines. 
    No, lol. She would never be caught dead working in a restaurant. She is simply a random person who is also a sommelier, just for the hell of it. She uses her knowledge just to impress all the rich people in her social circles. :lol: And just for her own pleasure. And to help her family choose wine, lol.
    The schooling is 45 weeks I think, but my sister also took courses in France and Italy on top of that.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Go white. It isn’t my cup of tea but a lot of people like Riesling.  Too sweet for me. 
    Like red though. And rosé 
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Rose has totally become popular and stylish again. Will wonders never cease. It was considered kind of tacky for a lot of years there.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I like a glass of rose but it is got to be cold. Do we have. Wine thread somewhere?
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Rose has totally become popular and stylish again. Will wonders never cease. It was considered kind of tacky for a lot of years there.
    You can get better rosé now, though there are also oceans of awful rosé available. 

And yeah, I like a well chilled rosé out on my deck in the summer. 

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Riesling doesn’t have to be sweet. It depends on how it’s made. The Germans send us their poor quality wines and keep their spectacular dry Rieslings, plus other varietals. 

This discussion has been closed.