Options

Is America the greatest country in the world?

Comments

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    Aren't You getting fucked up stomachs from wine? Can't handle it. The daY after shits.
    No stomach issues from wine here. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,554
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Aren't You getting fucked up stomachs from wine? Can't handle it. The daY after shits.
    I drink red wine in moderation.  When I have too much I get dry mouth, my heart races at night and I can get reflux. (it doesn't help when I get together white my father in law and brother in law, we will go through 3-5 bottles of wine like it is nothing lol)  White wine I drink like it is the end of the world lol.  I absolutely love pinot grigio and do like sauvignon blanc from new zealand and chile although lately it is a little too tart for my palette.  
    Gonna ditch the (regular, organic) beer this weekend and trY wine...for the first time in Years...
    Go white. It isn’t my cup of tea but a lot of people like Riesling.  Too sweet for me. 
    Riesling doesn’t have to be sweet. It depends on how it’s made. The Germans send us their poor quality wines and keep their spectacular dry Rieslings, plus other varietals. 

I've never had a German wine that I liked.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,892
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I drink red wine in moderation.  When I have too much I get dry mouth, my heart races at night and I can get reflux. (it doesn't help when I get together white my father in law and brother in law, we will go through 3-5 bottles of wine like it is nothing lol)  White wine I drink like it is the end of the world lol.  I absolutely love pinot grigio and do like sauvignon blanc from new zealand and chile although lately it is a little too tart for my palette.  
    Gonna ditch the (regular, organic) beer this weekend and trY wine...for the first time in Years...
    Go white. It isn’t my cup of tea but a lot of people like Riesling.  Too sweet for me. 
    Riesling doesn’t have to be sweet. It depends on how it’s made. The Germans send us their poor quality wines and keep their spectacular dry Rieslings, plus other varietals. 

Me either. Every Riesling I have ever had was sweet. I do like their beer. 

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Did you ever have any in Germany? 
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I have not, only beer in Germany. 
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I've never been to Germany. I do assume there must be at least one good German wine in the world, haha. I just meant that I've never come across any!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I've never been to Germany. I do assume there must be at least one good German wine in the world, haha. I just meant that I've never come across any!
    Like I said, they export the bad wine and keep the good wine.  Which makes sense; it’s what I’d do. 
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Like I said, they export the bad wine and keep the good wine.  Which makes sense; it’s what I’d do. 
    Yes, I understood that. I was actually supporting what you said with my comment, lol. Not very well, apparently.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Yes, I understood that. I was actually supporting what you said with my comment, lol. Not very well, apparently.
    Okay, got it. 

But having said that, sometimes a wine with a touch of sweetness pairs better, like with spicy curries. 

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Okay, got it. 

But having said that, sometimes a wine with a touch of sweetness pairs better, like with spicy curries. 

Fair enough. Since they are out there, I figured tons of people must like sweeter wines, from barely to very ... I personally loathe them though. They're just not for me.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Okay, got it. 

Fair enough. Since they are out there, I figured tons of people must like sweeter wines, from barely to very ... I personally loathe them though. They're just not for me.
    Pinot Gris is where it s at. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Okay, got it. 

• Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Okay, got it. 

Yup. And I agree that German Rieslings in the US are not always the best examples of Rieslings out there. But here's a recommendation I can make for a fantastic Riesling out of Washington, and reasonably priced.
    http://longshadows.orderport.net/product-details/0440/2016-Poets-Leap-Riesling#product-list-top
    This Long Shadows winery makes some spectacular wines by bringing in renown winemakers from different countries or regions, and collaborating with them. 

"I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Okay, got it. 

I am gonna be in the lookout for some bc Pinot Gris. 

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,542
    PJ_Soul said:
    I don't even care. I buy BC wines exclusively now, just to support the local economy. Luckily, BC wines are some of the best in the world too. Most Americans wouldn't know that though, apparently. I tried to find some BC wines when I was down there, and there was literally not a single bottle on the shelves in any of the stores I went to.

USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
  • Options
    With leadership like this? Absolutely. Suckers.

Mitch McConnell Blames the Poor for Trump’s Trillion-Dollar Deficit - Vanity Fair https://apple.news/AYH1swPNsQOW90uHrfQ-r5A
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,244
    Welcome to the fucking Catalina wine mixer thread!!!

https://youtu.be/aTJMiLPV4P8
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    tbergs said:

You know you love it!  I love how everyone is coming together because of vino, reminds me of Sunday dinner.  We even have spiritual drinking some wine this weekend!! It is in the 40’s here so I just opened a nice Sonoma cab. Allie your sister would kill me but when I drink red I have to put in ice cube or two. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    tbergs said:

You know you love it!  I love how everyone is coming together because of vino, reminds me of Sunday dinner.  We even have spiritual drinking some wine this weekend!! It is in the 40’s here so I just opened a nice Sonoma cab. Allie your sister would kill me but when I drink red I have to put in ice cube or two. 
    Okay, things just stopped being cordial. 
  • Options
    Cheers @oftenreading   !!!  Only three ice cubes. ;)

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    tbergs said:

A caveman move.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    tbergs said:

A caveman move.
    I like my red wine cold. I admit it is a major rookie mistake. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    tbergs said:

A caveman move.
    I don't think anyone could argue you don't own up to your errors, Scruffy!
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    tbergs said:

A caveman move.
    I don't think anyone could argue you don't own up to your errors, Scruffy!
    Thanks bud. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    tbergs said:

A caveman move.
    My dad waters his down, like half and half. 🤢 I guess his reason is as good as it gets though: he can't help but drink booze too fast, and if he does it with straight wine he'll get super pissed and sick from two or three glasses. :lol:

I actually put a couple of ice cubes in my white wine, at least when I'm at home. I just like it really cold. It doesn't seem to be enough ice to noticeably water it down.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

Jesus. Why don’t you just freeze it and make a slushy? 
  • Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    edited October 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I don't even care. I buy BC wines exclusively now, just to support the local economy. Luckily, BC wines are some of the best in the world too. Most Americans wouldn't know that though, apparently. I tried to find some BC wines when I was down there, and there was literally not a single bottle on the shelves in any of the stores I went to.
    There are some good ones and some crap ones, and all tend to be overpriced, with the good ones at the extreme. Most good BC wines aren’t worth what they’re asking. 
    I think they are (the good ones, that is... Luckily my sister is a sommelier, so she knows which winery has a good or bad batch in any given year. One year a wine can be award winning, and the very next year the exact same wine can be crap; that is true for cheap and expensive wines alike; some years the best wine on the shelf might be an $11 bottle, and the next year it could be the $40 bottle (although I would rarely buy anything that costs more than $20 - there is no need to go higher, because there are plenty of great BC wines for less than that) ... But I don't see the BC wines as any "worse" priced compared any other country's wine in BC stores. It's ALL way overpriced. FFS, I bought a couple bottles of wine in the US - the same bottles that would have cost about $15 here cost $6 there! Booze is so expensive in BC, it's insane.
    Could your sister recommend any non-alcoholic wines? De-alcoholized wine. California used to make some decent ones - Ariel - but they don't make them anymore and the other stuff available is shit. Hoping she might know. I'll throw in USA/Canada to be thread appropriate.

And I put ice cubes in red wine also - it's good for your heart but bad for migraines (the wine, not the ice cubes). 

Thanks Ali.
    Post edited by njnancy on
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    mcgruff10 said:

Jesus. Why don’t you just freeze it and make a slushy? 
    That’s a great idea!  I ll try it this weekend. 
  • Options
    njnancy said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    There are some good ones and some crap ones, and all tend to be overpriced, with the good ones at the extreme. Most good BC wines aren’t worth what they’re asking. 
    I think they are (the good ones, that is... Luckily my sister is a sommelier, so she knows which winery has a good or bad batch in any given year. One year a wine can be award winning, and the very next year the exact same wine can be crap; that is true for cheap and expensive wines alike; some years the best wine on the shelf might be an $11 bottle, and the next year it could be the $40 bottle (although I would rarely buy anything that costs more than $20 - there is no need to go higher, because there are plenty of great BC wines for less than that) ... But I don't see the BC wines as any "worse" priced compared any other country's wine in BC stores. It's ALL way overpriced. FFS, I bought a couple bottles of wine in the US - the same bottles that would have cost about $15 here cost $6 there! Booze is so expensive in BC, it's insane.
    Could your sister recommend any non-alcoholic wines? De-alcoholized wine. California used to make some decent ones - Ariel - but they don't make them anymore and the other stuff available is shit. Hoping she might know. I'll throw in USA/Canada to be thread appropriate.

And I put ice cubes in red wine also - it's good for your heart but bad for migraines (the wine, not the ice cubes). 

Thanks Ali.
    I'm afraid not Nancy. She's never even tried any non-alcoholic wines and doesn't know anything about it. :(
  • Options
    Heathens.  The bunch of you are heathens. 

:unamused:
This discussion has been closed.