Options

Is America the greatest country in the world?

Comments

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,244
    tbergs said:
    brianlux said:
    If today's kids are going to have even a chance of living a halfway decent life, they are going to need to learn to eat more vegetable and less meat.  Here is why:

I have a different take.  Humans are meant to eat meat.  It's the fact that we are over-populating the planet as people continue to have way too many kids that's the root cause.  
    That's not really a balanced "take". That is a defense for destroying the planet... or murder billions of people?
    Well, we as humans can't destroy the planet, except for ourselves.
    What? Raise those blinders.

"The destruction of wild habitat for farming, logging and development has resulted in the start of what many scientists consider the sixth mass extinction of life to occur in the Earth’s four billion year history. About half the Earth’s animals are thought to have been lost in the last 50 years."

B-b-b-but we are destined to eat meat. ITS DESTINY.

Lazy determinism is laughable
    Like I said, the planet will live on and the next animal species will exist. Animals will adapt, as they've shown over millions of years and maybe humans will too.

I'm vegan. I just don't spout off about it and piss on everyone who isn't. I wish more people were, but yelling down to them will never make it so. My family and kids love vegetables. Our oldest also loves meat, while our youngest won't eat anything meat...yet. As weird as it is to us, our oldest likes to eat his salads without any dressing. Just a bowl or plate full of leafy greens and hearty veggies. They absolutely love green beans, cauliflower, broccoli, carrots and peppers. We make them all sorts of different veggies, some they like others they don't, but neither did I as a kid. I'm sure their tastes will change. We work at a CSA for our friends a mile down the road and the kids take part in the distribution.  I just want them to know what is out there and not limit themselves. We introduce healthy food choices and hopefully that will instill it in them when they are older.

Nobody likes an angry Vegan. 
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,889
    @mcgruff10 did you really not know that other countries offer school meals for kids?
    I am not in the food service industry so why would I know that. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    If today's kids are going to have even a chance of living a halfway decent life, they are going to need to learn to eat more vegetable and less meat.  Here is why:

But still parents won't take their responsibility. 

But hey -  "what kids want to eat vegetables?" Opinions out of some parallel universe stuck in the 1950s.

Get educated people.
    My wife and I have tried more times than I can count.  The only real success we have had are zoodles.  If you know the secret please do tell.
    Here is a very interesting article about it. North America definitely has a problem with this picky eating with their kids, it's relatively new problem, and it's about parenting techniques as far as I can tell, combined with a shift in the food industry - it's a widespread cultural shift that's taken place that has negatively affected the eating habits of children. But it seems like there are things can do to prevent (although it's probably too late for kids over a certain age with the issue - seems like something that needs to start young).

That is a solid article, thank you for sharing. Portion size is also enormous here as compared to other countries. I remember eating all across Europe and at first i couldn’t imagine getting full on such a little amount of food. After just a day or two I got used to it. 

• Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:

But hey -  "what kids want to eat vegetables?" Opinions out of some parallel universe stuck in the 1950s.

Get educated people.
    My wife and I have tried more times than I can count.  The only real success we have had are zoodles.  If you know the secret please do tell.
    Here is a very interesting article about it. North America definitely has a problem with this picky eating with their kids, it's relatively new problem, and it's about parenting techniques as far as I can tell, combined with a shift in the food industry - it's a widespread cultural shift that's taken place that has negatively affected the eating habits of children. But it seems like there are things can do to prevent (although it's probably too late for kids over a certain age with the issue - seems like something that needs to start young).

Two great quotes I agree with:

“Children’s menus are the death of civilization.”

“At the core of the French approach is the belief that you teach your kids to eat just as you can teach them to read."

• Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:

Get educated people.

That is a solid article, thank you for sharing. Portion size is also enormous here as compared to other countries. I remember eating all across Europe and at first i couldn’t imagine getting full on such a little amount of food. After just a day or two I got used to it. 

European restaurants expect you to eat the food on your plate, not take half of it home with you to finish later.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,023
    edited October 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    @mcgruff10 did you really not know that other countries offer school meals for kids?
    Maybe... because people pick up things about other parts of the world. And you're a teacher so it's relevant to your field. I think it would be more relevant to people working in schools than people working in "the food service industry"... 

Maybe you should try watching some of those Michael Moore documentaries republicans like to piss on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXK591Rp4BU&t=205s

So, Sweden school lunches for not-so-fat-kids 1, US school lunches for fatter-kids-that-have-been.taught-to-hate-vegetables 0.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,544
    edited October 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    Fair enough. Yes indeed, serving healthy lunches to school children at school is the norm. North America is more the exception. North America fails miserably on this front. They treat the concept like something they shouldn't need to do, so when they do do it, it usually fucking sucks and isn't even healthy. Another symptom of America's overbearing obsession with capitalism IMO. Its pathetic failure to properly fund education can easily be seen in its lunch programs, or lack thereof.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,109
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:

Get educated people.
    Well seems, by the looks of US kids that you parents over there have a almost unique problem with it. NOW GIVE THEM A BAG OF CRISPS FOR SCHOOL!

*googling zoodles* hehe.

Heres a secret - STAR WARS

Now it’s ok to generalize about all Us parents. You are crazy. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    brianlux said:

I have a different take.  Humans are meant to eat meat.  It's the fact that we are over-populating the planet as people continue to have way too many kids that's the root cause.  
    That's not really a balanced "take". That is a defense for destroying the planet... or murder billions of people?

"The destruction of wild habitat for farming, logging and development has resulted in the start of what many scientists consider the sixth mass extinction of life to occur in the Earth’s four billion year history. About half the Earth’s animals are thought to have been lost in the last 50 years."

You are so lazy in trying to understand other people’s points. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:

Get educated people.
    Well seems, by the looks of US kids that you parents over there have a almost unique problem with it. NOW GIVE THEM A BAG OF CRISPS FOR SCHOOL!

*googling zoodles* hehe.

In what way would it be "crazy" to paint with a broad brush, when the obesity problem is the way it is in the US? That's how discussions work.

"We need to change our way of living to stop climate change

- Hey you, me over here - I'm actually not affecting climate change with my way of living - so how about not generalizing you crazy person!" 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:

Get educated people.

*googling zoodles* hehe.

In what way would it be "crazy" to paint with a broad brush, when the obesity problem is the way it is in the US? That's how discussions work.

- Hey you, me over here - I'm actually not affecting climate change with my way of living - so how about not generalizing you crazy person!" 
    It’s impossible for me to have a conversation with you about this. So I’ll just stop. Cause I like my posting privledges
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:

Get educated people.

*googling zoodles* hehe.

It’s impossible for me to have a conversation with you about this. So I’ll just stop. Cause I like my posting privledges
    Well...

...you look good tonight,
    Standing there in your own world.
    Baby, talk to me with your eyes
    Before the moment dies.
    I want to say to you,
    Time is just passing us by.
    You keep waiting for something called love.
    Wake up in the middle of the night.
    Nobody's gonna make it alright.

:)
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited October 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:

Get educated people.

*googling zoodles* hehe.

For the record, you are in the clear to make generalizations about adults that still live with their parents now :)

• Options
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:

Get educated people.

*googling zoodles* hehe.

For the record, you are in the clear to make generalizations about adults that still live with their parents now :)

Does spiritual really live with his parents?
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Pro life until you’re born. 20% of US school age kids live below the poverty line and don’t eat 3 meals a day, with school provided food being the sole meal of the day. Studies show that well fed kids do better in school because they’re not constantly hungry. Never mind the nutrition and brain development aspect of it. But hey, need a pipeline to the prison industrial complex where we spend 8-10 times more on an incarcerated inmate than a elementary school student. ‘Murica, woot!
    Can someone get me the name of the person who laid out the money to figure out well fed kids do better in school than kids who are constantly hungry? I have a bridge to sell them. 
    You don’t believe that? Have you ever been hungry? Had to live without knowing where or how your next meal comes from? Why do so many kick the poor? Spit on them? Have you no charity? Fucking kids, fuck them.
    I love when you overreact to a post.  We seriously need to sit down and have beers on the next tour.  My point was, it is an obvious answer.  No shit kids who are hungry don't learn as much.   I mean that is like saying, it's negative 45 outside, you might be cold.  Wow here comes a category 5 hurricane, there might be rain and wind.  You are at a pearl jam concert, you could hear some pearl jam songs.
    Then why the waste comments? Or my kids are well fed and play sports so who needs it? Fuck it’s like all you want to do is piss on those with less rather than help them? I really don’t understand the callouseness? It’s like telling those in Florida, fuck you deal.

This is what you said McGruff:

Total waste.  And talk about the added expense to each school district; it got so bad that our lunch program lost over a 125k last year.  
    This program was definitely an overreach by our govt. 

I'm assuming that by "program" you meant the school lunch program, as that's what we're discussing. You called it a "total waste" and "overreach by our government." Apparently, studies that show that well fed kids do better academically is so well known that a program to feed kids in school, because they don't eat enough at home, is a total waste and overreach by our government. And also should be dismissed with ridicule of facts. Your school losing $125K seems to be a managerial issue and I would hope you've called for those responsible to be held to account? But your school and your kids' eating and exercise habits are not the norm, as evidenced by the obesity statistics I posted previously. Your response, or attitude, of "I'm doing it right so why can't everyone else because its just a waste," is what sets me off. As it relates to Team Trump Treason, he ridiculed the Obamas for having a garden and encouraging all Americans to eat more vegetables and to have a healthier diet of less sugar and meat. Oh, the fucking horror to our precious individual "freedoms."

Regardless, the school lunch program has become a give away to farmers and the processed food industry, as well as food management firms (Sodexho, Aramark. Chartwells, etc.). Read up on what our military thinks about our obesity epidemic and how that bodes for the future.

And for the record, I can neither confirm nor deny that I'm from Halifax or Canada but the US is turning into a shithole country.

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:

Get educated people.

*googling zoodles* hehe.

You would have to ask him...What generalizations, though, are typically made of adults that still live with their parents?
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:

Get educated people.

*googling zoodles* hehe.

You would have to ask him...What generalizations, though, are typically made of adults that still live with their parents?
    Gen Xers still think that only losers who can't get jobs and/or can't take care of themselves live with their parents past normal university age I'm afraid. Of course that is an outdated generalization at this point.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:

Get educated people.

*googling zoodles* hehe.

I don’t think I could ever move in with my parents again. I had to after I got divorced and it was miserable!!

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:

Get educated people.

*googling zoodles* hehe.

This doesn’t really matter though.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:

Get educated people.

*googling zoodles* hehe.

Gen Xers still think that only losers who can't get jobs and/or can't take care of themselves live with their parents past normal university age I'm afraid. Of course that is an outdated generalization at this point.
    Wow, I bet Gen Xers do not take kindly to other Gen Xers that still live with their parents, then, lol. 

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:

Get educated people.

*googling zoodles* hehe.

I don’t think I could ever move in with my parents again. I had to after I got divorced and it was miserable!!

I think I'd rather be homeless than move back in with my parents, lol.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:

Get educated people.

*googling zoodles* hehe.

I m thinking spiritual is a millennial And not a generation x er. 
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    tbergs said:
    tbergs said:
    brianlux said:

Like I said, the planet will live on and the next animal species will exist. Animals will adapt, as they've shown over millions of years and maybe humans will too.

I'm vegan. I just don't spout off about it and piss on everyone who isn't. I wish more people were, but yelling down to them will never make it so. My family and kids love vegetables. Our oldest also loves meat, while our youngest won't eat anything meat...yet. As weird as it is to us, our oldest likes to eat his salads without any dressing. Just a bowl or plate full of leafy greens and hearty veggies. They absolutely love green beans, cauliflower, broccoli, carrots and peppers. We make them all sorts of different veggies, some they like others they don't, but neither did I as a kid. I'm sure their tastes will change. We work at a CSA for our friends a mile down the road and the kids take part in the distribution.  I just want them to know what is out there and not limit themselves. We introduce healthy food choices and hopefully that will instill it in them when they are older.

Nobody likes an angry Vegan. 
    I, for one, greatly appreciate your stance toward us carnivores.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:

Get educated people.

*googling zoodles* hehe.

Wow, I bet Gen Xers do not take kindly to other Gen Xers that still live with their parents, then, lol. 

Lol, no. I think most of us just automatically assume there is something wrong with them. That is totally unfair of course, and terribly unempathetic I mean, some people just hit hard times of one kind or another and do what they have to do. Or they decide to totally change directions in life and need that landing spot while they readjust. There is really nothing wrong with that! Gen Xers are assholes sometimes. :lol:;)
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:

Get educated people.

*googling zoodles* hehe.

Lol, no. I think most of us just automatically assume there is something wrong with them. That is totally unfair of course, and terribly unempathetic I mean, some people just hit hard times of one kind or another and do what they have to do. Or they decide to totally change directions in life and need that landing spot while they readjust. There is really nothing wrong with that! Gen Xers are assholes sometimes. :lol:;)
    Yes they are. Even the ones that live with their parents.

My god does this website suck on my phone..,awful.

Post edited by cincybearcat on
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:

Get educated people.

*googling zoodles* hehe.

I m thinking spiritual is a millennial And not a generation x er. 
    Born in the holy year of Ghostbusters, The Terminator and A Nightmare on Elm Street. Does that make me gen X or millenial?
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:

Get educated people.

*googling zoodles* hehe.

I think I'd rather be homeless than move back in with my parents, lol.
    Same here!!!
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:

Get educated people.

*googling zoodles* hehe.

I totally respect that and only bring it up when a certain poster tries to “paint with a broad brush”.  Generalizations in general are are pretty narrow-minded :)
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:

Get educated people.

*googling zoodles* hehe.

I totally respect that and only bring it up when a certain poster tries to “paint with a broad brush”.  Generalizations in general are are pretty narrow-minded :)
    Says the guy who made the choice to vote for... Trump...
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Anyone feeling hype for the new Halloween? Speaking of American things
This discussion has been closed.