Poll--The Weakest Link: Backspacer Round 1

Comments

• dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,180
    The Fixer
    I think it has turned into a great live "anthem". I also like the studio version.

But it has the "Eddie has a cold" voice that plagues the entire album. It's shows up the most in this song.

And I don't know what i prefer less, the "Eddie has a cold" voice of Backspacer or the "Eddie is hoarse, raspy and struggling" voice of S/T/Avocado. Thank god for the "Eddie just got out of bed" voice of Riot Act.

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • BettrMan21BettrMan21 Posts: 278
    Johnny Guitar

The weakest song in the studio album catalog, in my opinion. Otherwise, I think this album, although really short, is a good collection of songs.

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Johnny Guitar
    Amongst and Force of Nature are standouts on a mediocre album. 
    Tho I will take Backspacer any day of the week over the follow up. Just awful.
    If you think Lightning Bolt is awful, then you have never heard an awful record in your life lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Johnny Guitar
    The Fixer should not be going out first round.

People... c'mon, man. On any other album sure, but geez. Here? Worst song on this album? That's your vote?

Dear gawd.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • PJForceofNaturePJForceofNature Posts: 3,087
    Johnny Guitar
    Force of Nature will always be my favorite, although I love all of Backspacer, with the exception of Johnny Guitar!
    "A beacon on dry land"
    The Fixer

People... c'mon, man. On any other album sure, but geez. Here? Worst song on this album? That's your vote?

Dear gawd.
    Johnny Guitar has a funny-B-Side vibe to it at least. 
    I don't even know what The Fixer is. 

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,845
    The Fixer

Dear gawd.
    Some other songs have the odd cheesy line, but The Fixer is pure cheese throughout.
    When somethings broke, I wanna put a bit of fixin on it
    When somethings bored, I wanna put a little exciting on it
    If somethings low, I wanna put a little high on it...

I rest my case
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain Posts: 31,128
    Johnny Guitar
    I'm sorry to hear that, man. I'd be lying if I said I were in a better place. I swear I played the Cat Stevens song "Father and Son" for like 45 minutes earlier.
     Fucking music, man. Knows the words and emotions when I don't and can't. 
    Well said.  Why Backspacer has a special place forever in my heart.  My hero was dying and I couldnt get my head around it.  B/S came out as this was happening and just spoke to me -- The End (the most depressing song on the album and one of the most depressing songs from them, ever) in particular held an important place for me during those last days. 

I will take the blame
    But just the same
    This is not me
    You see
    Believe
    I'm better than this

I get why others crap on Backspacer, but I love it.  Always.  Saved me from my own hardheartedness and showed me how to feel again.  Made it OK to let any disappointment, anger, hurt, frustration, despair, and loneliness from the previous decade plus out from the corner I shoved it all into and to move on from the eventual loss.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • lolobugglolobugg Posts: 8,192
    Speed Of Sound
    I'm sorry to hear that, man. I'd be lying if I said I were in a better place. I swear I played the Cat Stevens song "Father and Son" for like 45 minutes earlier.
    Well said.  Why Backspacer has a special place forever in my heart.  My hero was dying and I couldnt get my head around it.  B/S came out as this was happening and just spoke to me -- The End (the most depressing song on the album and one of the most depressing songs from them, ever) in particular held an important place for me during those last days. 

I will take the blame
    But just the same
    This is not me
    You see
    Believe
    I'm better than this

I get why others crap on Backspacer, but I love it.  Always.  Saved me from my own hardheartedness and showed me how to feel again.  Made it OK to let any disappointment, anger, hurt, frustration, despair, and loneliness from the previous decade plus out from the corner I shoved it all into and to move on from the eventual loss.

Well said, my friend.

Love "the End" too.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    Johnny Guitar
    So many to choose from. I can't stand Unthought Known and I have no idea why it's so popular. Is "build up" all people look for in a song? It's predictable and boring. Even the title is obnoxious (and yes, I know the origin of the title and that doesn't make it interesting). The "gems and rhinestones" lyric is the least of my problems with it. If you actually listen, there's not even a song there. It's like half an idea with terrible lyrics overall ("dream the dreams of other men"...etc, has never made sense to me).

I know it's a dick move to bash a song, but it's only because it's so far beneath even their average songs. I miss the days when Evacuation was considered the worst thing they'd written. 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,403
    edited May 2017

Dear gawd.
    Some other songs have the odd cheesy line, but The Fixer is pure cheese throughout.
    When somethings broke, I wanna put a bit of fixin on it
    When somethings bored, I wanna put a little exciting on it
    If somethings low, I wanna put a little high on it...

I rest my case
    We had some cheesy ass lyrics win self titled. Go figure. 
    Let me run into the rain......
    at least the fixer is fun live.
    And yes we all got tired of just breathe but you must admit it really is a good song. If it was on one of the first three albums it would be on everyone s top  ten list. 
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • SaravaSarava Posts: 2,019
    The Fixer
    The Fixer sounds like it was written to appeal to 13 year olds.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Johnny Guitar

I will take the blame
    But just the same
    This is not me
    You see
    Believe
    I'm better than this

Right on, love to see the positivity.
    It's my buddy's​ favorite PJ album.  It came out right when he was at the height of his "listening to PJ exclusively" phase and resonated with him.  He learned to play every song in about a month.
    The End is an amazing guitar work, he always wants me to sing it for him and I always refuse because it's too beautiful to sing over.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • KC138045KC138045 Posts: 2,716
    The End
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,618
    Johnny Guitar
    Listened to this entire album again on the way to work and still really enjoy it. It's a quick easy listen. I don't dislike any song on this album. Johnny Guitar is one of those songs where you can pretty much imagine the scene as he's singing the lyrics. Easy storyboard song. Force of Nature is another one I can easily picture the narrative to in my head as he sings it. Just Breathe and The End are really good songs and the only slow ones. They only suffer from being Eddie heavy on a Pearl Jam album and the over play of Just Breathe live in the encore slot. There also seems to be a trend that we collectively dislike any song that has mass appeal or became mainstream. Just look at the list of winners. A non-PJ fan would be like, WTF?

Anyway, as some have already said, I understand why people don't like this album, but I think it's pretty good and especially light (rockers and content) considering how heavy Pearl Jam S/T was.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    Unthought Known
    I don't get the hate for The End. I think it's an amazing song and the strings on it are wonderfully composed. The actual music of the song is quite complex for a singer songwriter like Ed. His guitar playing just keeps getting better and better. Some tricky and quick changes all over this song. Lyrically it's great. It kicked my ass last night. It was the first time I've listened to it since a pretty serious brain diagnosis for me a couple of weeks ago. It's perfect. I know a lot of people connect to Just Breathe more and that's fine, but I will say hands down all the way to the grave that The End is the better song all around Ed solo type song on this record. 
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,236
    Speed Of Sound
    not surprised it is so far 'ahead' in the poll since it always seems to have negative comments associated with it on here, but johnny guitar is one of the better songs on backspacer, imo.
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Posts: 19,136
    The Fixer
    Ciao skip song!!!
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170
    I don't get the hate for The End. I think it's an amazing song and the strings on it are wonderfully composed. The actual music of the song is quite complex for a singer songwriter like Ed. His guitar playing just keeps getting better and better. Some tricky and quick changes all over this song. Lyrically it's great. It kicked my ass last night. It was the first time I've listened to it since a pretty serious brain diagnosis for me a couple of weeks ago. It's perfect. I know a lot of people connect to Just Breathe more and that's fine, but I will say hands down all the way to the grave that The End is the better song all around Ed solo type song on this record. 
    It's the production and the way Ed sounds like he has a cold throughout the record for me. Not a fan of the strings on it, either. I enjoyed seeing it performed live though, it gave me an entirely new appreciation for the song. 
    "It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014 
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    Unthought Known
    Really? I remember during the solo shows leading up to Backspacer, the strings from The End played in the pre-show music. It was beautiful and maybe that's stuck in my head still. 
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,430
    AndySlash said:
    not surprised it is so far 'ahead' in the poll since it always seems to have negative comments associated with it on here, but johnny guitar is one of the better songs on backspacer, imo.
    Agreed.  Never understood the hate for The Fixer, either.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,403
    for me "the end" is just do damn depressing to enjoy.

On a side note, I hope you are getting better bud.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:
    for me "the end" is just do damn depressing to enjoy.

On a side note, I hope you are getting better bud.

Same here. The album drifted toward darkness at the end and it kind of shocked me that they ended such an upbeat record with that song. Ed even joked about it before he played it. lol. Maybe live with strings, it's better. I haven't listened to a boot from that era in a while, though. I didn't really like how the shows were mixed during the '08-'10 era. Hope you feel better.
    The Fixer
    I hate the

Im in a well. 
    everything was swell
    but now its hell
    Well well, 
    im in a well

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,618
    Johnny Guitar
    I hate the

Im in a well. 
    everything was swell
    but now its hell
    Well well, 
    im in a well

C'mon now! He literally says well one time in the entire song. The only lyric I really cringe a little at is the "slide up next to me". It's a good depressing song, which is usually the type of Pearl Jam we like around here.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • BSullyBSully Posts: 1,183
    Speed Of Sound
    So sad to hear people talk about some of these songs as awful, terrible, or that they always skip them. Pretty much any PJ is better than most other music out there. Johnny Guitar is not my favorite song by any means, but I will take that all day compared to a lot of stuff!

I know it's everyone's opinion and I am fine with what ever anyone else thinks...it just makes me sad:(
    1998: Noblesville, IN 08-17
    2000: Noblesville, IN 08-18
    2003: Noblesville, IN 06-22
    2006: Cincinnati, OH 06-24
    2010: Noblesville, IN 05-07
    2016: Lexington, KY 04-26, Wrigley Field 2 08-22
    2018: Wrigley Field 1 08-18, Wrigley Field 2 08-20
    2022: St. Louis, MO 09-18
    2024: Noblesville, IN 08-26, Wrigley Field 1 08-29, Wrigley Field 2 08-31
    The Fixer
    BSully said:
    So sad to hear people talk about some of these songs as awful, terrible, or that they always skip them. Pretty much any PJ is better than most other music out there. Johnny Guitar is not my favorite song by any means, but I will take that all day compared to a lot of stuff!

I know it's everyone's opinion and I am fine with what ever anyone else thinks...it just makes me sad:(
    Without a bit of exaggeration it would be quite boring. I think.
    edited May 2017
    I hate the

Im in a well. 
    everything was swell
    but now its hell
    Well well, 
    im in a well

Ha ha..love the visual!! Seriously though, the first time I heard it I was really worried about Ed's health. 
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Posts: 36,606
    edited May 2017
    Johnny Guitar
    I'm sorry to hear that, man. I'd be lying if I said I were in a better place. I swear I played the Cat Stevens song "Father and Son" for like 45 minutes earlier. Fucking music, man. Knows the words and emotions when I don't and can't. 
     I never know if I should listen to sad songs when i'm blue or happy songs. each can have the opposing effect, and I never know which one. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

This discussion has been closed.