Options

Donald Trump

Comments

• Options
    tbergs said:
    Why is Trump tweeting that he was victorious?????
    So he can lose the lower house but still win. How does American politics work??
    Or is he deluded?

Because they held the Senate, although I hadn't seen any projections saying they would flip seats in Senate. Definitely some disappointing re-elections.
    It's actually a HUGE (yes, pun intended) win for Trump.  The House was basically in line (or even a little low) with historical precedent.  He picked up seats in the Senate which is the more important side of the legislature. It's the one that approves judges, etc.  

In addition, it gives him someone to blame heading into 2020.  He couldn't have asked for a more perfect outcome.

If the House takes up an overly investigative bent, it will also play into his hands. Not saying he wins or loses in 2020, but he can still get most of what he wants done and have someone to play off of in his own re-election bid.

I also think this is the best outcome for all of us.  I prefer split control that puts the breaks on both sides. What some call grid lock, I'd call more moderate governing. It prevents either side from doing really dumb things (well, they'll still do really dumb things, but it can't be quite as one sided).

Once again, the framers have been proven genius. The 2 year turnover of the House, with a 6 year Senate run is perfectly timed with the 4 year Presidency. We get to turn the House over quickly (which has happened basically every time the new part takes over the Exec. while Senators only come up in a Presidential election every 2 terms (3 Presidential cycles, but they face 1 mid term and 1 Presidential each of THEIR cycles).
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    EL O EL
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986
    Why is Trump tweeting that he was victorious?????
    So he can lose the lower house but still win. How does American politics work??
    Or is he deluded?

It seems like someone must have been keeping him from his phone last night.  No way he could control himself to wait that long to tweet.

But yeah....he got beat last night.  Claiming victory for a few more seats in the Senate is ridiculous.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    What's disturbing about this is the now clear cut picture of the stout Republican faction of the US. I look at these results as positive for the Democrats, but this 'win' was won in the fourth quarter. This was a tight game and the Republican people have apparently not wavered one bit in their support for the asshole.

The US is in a worse state than I thought. Trump is a legitimate threat to win a second term. I also think a lot of people are closet Trumpsters. They know they'd look like a f**king loser pronouncing their loyalty... so they don't. But with the cardboard partition hiding their tick of the box... they vote for their guy and later wonder aloud, "I can't believe it!"

A positive result for sure considering the alternative. But hardly something to sit back, exhale, and smoke a cigar over.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    And if the Mueller issue does NOT lead to impeachment, i'm afraid 2020 may be a lock.

Democrats somehow let this guy become the "America First" candidate that is also "protecting the border" and therefore is protecting the country, meanwhile the democrats seem more eager to protect trans bathroom use people..... want a POTUS that protects them, protects the country, and puts America first. Elections really arent that complicated. Dems will fuck this up, I'm convinced of it. 
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,838
    What's disturbing about this is the now clear cut picture of the stout Republican faction of the US. I look at these results as positive for the Democrats, but this 'win' was won in the fourth quarter. This was a tight game and the Republican people have apparently not wavered one bit in their support for the asshole.

The US is in a worse state than I thought. Trump is a legitimate threat to win a second term. I also think a lot of people are closet Trumpsters. They know they'd look like a f**king loser pronouncing their loyalty... so they don't. But with the cardboard partition hiding their tick of the box... they vote for their guy and later wonder aloud, "I can't believe it!"

A positive result for sure considering the alternative. But hardly something to sit back, exhale, and smoke a cigar over.
    This bodes well for Trump. Half of America is insular and ignorant. Even worse, they are proud to be.
  • Options
    my2hands said:
    And if the Mueller issue does NOT lead to impeachment, i'm afraid 2020 may be a lock.

Democrats somehow let this guy become the "America First" candidate that is also "protecting the border" and therefore is protecting the country, meanwhile the democrats seem more eager to protect trans bathroom use people..... want a POTUS that protects them, protects the country, and puts America first. Elections really arent that complicated. Dems will fuck this up, I'm convinced of it. 

It needs to get worse before it gets better.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    edited November 2018
    Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Pennsylvania, as well as many other states all swung away from Trump.  Dems had a 9 point advantage Nationally.  
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,678
    my2hands said:

I believe you are misreading last night's results.  While FL is depressing, by and large everythign else was positive.  We learned:
    1. Democratic votes substantially outpaced Republican
    2. Midwest states appear to have flipped at some level back to blue, judging by the governorship changes in WI and MI.  Scott Walker losing was huge.  He was elected twice and survived a recall.
    3. Women have heavily come over to Democrats
    4. Aggressive HOR forecasts were in the 30 to 35 range pick up.  I think we are looking at 33/34.  That's pretty damn good.
    5. The GOP is becoming an increasingly white, older and rural party.  Yet the country is becoming more urban, younger and diverse.  Demographics are destiny.  It's not overnight, but it's happening.  

The Senate map in 2020 is flipped.  Republicans have to defend far more seats, many of them in blue states.  
  • Options
    my2hands said:

Wait until the economy corrects and the recession hits, like in Kansas. And Team Trump Treason will blame Hillary.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    my2hands said:

Wait until the economy corrects and the recession hits, like in Kansas. And Team Trump Treason will blame Hillary.
    Excellent point.  This all happened in a boom economy.  We will absolutely be shedding jobs in two years.  History tells us it must happen. 
    Here's what I'm worried about...Trump will recognize soon enough how Bush gained seats in 2002.  It was 9/11 and war.  Is he that cynical and callous?  Probably... 
  • Options
    my2hands said:

Ultimately, this is what the next election will be decided on. If the economy keeps humming along as it is, Trump will win. If another recession hits and is timed around the summer of 2020, he will lose.  If it comes next year, and there is time for recovery (and it actually happens), he will most likely win.  If it dips and never returns, he will definitely lose.  All the rest of what the arrogant talk about is irrelevant.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    mrussel1 said:
    my2hands said:

Excellent point.  This all happened in a boom economy.  We will absolutely be shedding jobs in two years.  History tells us it must happen. 
    Here's what I'm worried about...Trump will recognize soon enough how Bush gained seats in 2002.  It was 9/11 and war.  Is he that cynical and callous?  Probably... 
    He doesn't understand how things actually work.  Tarriffs...pftt what an idiot.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,829
    While the Senate was a win for Trump, it is worth remembering that the Senate was set up very badly for the Dems.  They were playing defense, sometimes in deep red states.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    my2hands said:

But here's the thing... Trump has his war now too: the border war. He's already deployed troops to the border ready to combat the great caravan. The caravan will take a while, but he's getting ready for his 'signature war' that will distinguish his legacy nonetheless.
  • Options
    The great border war.

Hahahahahahaaha

F**k he's an idiot.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,315
    mrussel1 said:
    my2hands said:

I believe you are misreading last night's results.  While FL is depressing, by and large everythign else was positive.  We learned:
    2. Midwest states appear to have flipped at some level back to blue, judging by the governorship changes in WI and MI.  Scott Walker losing was huge.  He was elected twice and survived a recall.
    4. Aggressive HOR forecasts were in the 30 to 35 range pick up.  I think we are looking at 33/34.  That's pretty damn good.
    5. The GOP is becoming an increasingly white, older and rural party.  Yet the country is becoming more urban, younger and diverse.  Demographics are destiny.  It's not overnight, but it's happening.  

The Senate map in 2020 is flipped.  Republicans have to defend far more seats, many of them in blue states.  
    Yeah.

The republicans are hemorrhaging votes from women, suburbanites, independents and minorities. Basing your long term success on uneducated white males is a losing strategy for them....shouldn't this be obvious to everyone looking at this objectively?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    my2hands said:

This is the post I needed for perspective!

I hope you are right.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    my2hands said:

But here's the thing... Trump has his war now too: the border war. He's already deployed troops to the border ready to combat the great caravan. The caravan will take a while, but he's getting ready for his 'signature war' that will distinguish his legacy nonetheless.
    Which member of the JCOS will follow Team Trump Treason to war?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    mrussel1 said:
    my2hands said:

Yeah.

The republicans are hemorrhaging votes from women, suburbanites, independents and minorities. Basing your long term success on uneducated white males is a losing strategy for them....shouldn't this be obvious to everyone looking at this objectively?
    making college unaffordable = Republicanz 4 lyfe
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Who needs college?  Easy way for young people to get into debt and be shackled to a job they hate....Free market principles need to decrease the price and make higher-education more affordable. Oh yeah let’s legalize weed....duh
  • Options
    Who needs college?  Easy way for young people to get into debt and be shackled to a job they hate....Free market principles need to decrease the price and make higher-education more affordable. Oh yeah let’s legalize weed....duh
    This is a joke right?  You think we can compete on the world stage by reducing education levels?  

My God, the jokes are real.  
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Image result for its mueller time
  • Options
    Whats the current unemployment rate foor those without a college degree? Or no education beyond high school? And who are the first to be let go when the recession hits?

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    mrussel1 said:
    my2hands said:

Yeah.

And yet 2016 still happened and the GOP still controls the Senate and Governors... this was a normal midterm pendulum swing, not a blue wave
  • Options
    Whats the current unemployment rate foor those without a college degree? Or no education beyond high school? And who are the first to be let go when the recession hits?
    This is my favorite chart in the world.  I hammered this into my kids during the recession.  Check it out.. unemployment for those with a Bachelors or higher never got above 5% during the height of the recession.  By contrast, it was almost 12% for those with only a diploma.  

https://www.bls.gov/opub/ted/2017/unemployment-rate-2-point-5-percent-for-college-grads-7-point-7-percent-for-high-school-dropouts-january-2017.htm

• Options
    @buck502000 - who needs college?  Your kids do, that's who.

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    my2hands said:
    mrussel1 said:
    my2hands said:

Yeah.

And yet 2016 still happened and the GOP still controls the Senate and Governors... this was a normal midterm pendulum swing, not a blue wave
    Related image
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,248
    edited November 2018
    mrussel1 said:
    @buck502000 - who needs college?  Your kids do, that's who.

The audience has to care about statistics and facts for something like this to matter. They will just divert to the college students who don't have jobs or are miserable in their career instead. 
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,149
    It's got to be killing him and his advisors....Bannon, little eichmann, gorka, hannity, David Duke, Richard spencer.....that so many women, muslims, and native Americans won seats in the house.
    Every action has an equal and opposite reaction...elect 1st african american president? Get a racist president to follow.  Elect a racist president? Elect record numbers of women, minorities and openly gay candidates.
    The only people in this country who care about a person’s sexual preference, race, gender or other insignificance is the dems.  People are people to me, i’m still unsure of how the fact that a guy who loves a guy should make me feel a certain way about voting, or because someone is Muslim I should care more or less.

ya’ll love to make it a race or gender issue.  

By the way, as far as the whole immigration issue goes, I feel like everyone always misses the point.  There’s a million people a year that enter our country legally that you never hear a peep about.  People should be able to come here, that’s human and important.  What we conservatives care about is ILLEGAL immigration- we care about laws.

anywho, I thought the midterms went as I thought they would.  Sure I hoped repubs would hold onto the house but I doubted it.  I knew Cruz would win Texas, I assumed tester would lose Montana (is that confirmed yet?) and I figured Florida would be red.  It’ll be interesting to see investigations step up a ton with mueller and the dems unfocused on a platform or politics and entirely focused on dethroning trump.  My guess is the house will not be focused on legislation but rather stopping trump anyway they can.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
This discussion has been closed.