Options

Donald Trump

Comments

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,678
    Anyone?  Is President Trump still a racist now? Anyone?
    He bowed to political pressure.  Nothing more.  Where was this the previous 48 hours? His officials tried to defend it,  not tried to couch it,  but the story wasn't fading.  We'll see what happens after the Texas rally. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,914
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    ^^^
    I think instead of making an immediate off the hip speech right after the tragic event happened would have been lost on so many.  No one cares what a politician says during an extreme time of hate/mourning/pain.  After a few days for everything to sink in and emotions a little ( I say a little) less heated the people who the message was intended for were in a better position to receive it.  You can't react to everything at every second and expect your message to be heard.  It's like people that constantly post in one thread.  Eventually people don't read them. So to answer no I don't think it was damage control.

that's a great point!
    how is that a great point? his comments 2 days apart contradict each other. the first was obviously from his puny brain, the second was probably written by Ivanka. 

I don't ever recall a sitting president saying nothing about a major event to "let the events sink in". 
    I think a politician talking a day or two after the event is a ok.  I mean fdr waited until december 8th.  but by no means do I support the President.

follow up question:  what is everyone's opinion of taking down these statues of confederate generals?  As a historian I have mixed emotions; it is a part of u.s. history but what they stood for is obviously wrong.  
    Except he never took time to think about the situation and formulate a response.

He flapped off and tipped his hat. His second response was damage control- written by his advisors.
    agreed.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    He bowed to political pressure.  Nothing more.  Where was this the previous 48 hours? His officials tried to defend it,  not tried to couch it,  but the story wasn't fading.  We'll see what happens after the Texas rally. 
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    Trumpito is well known for nothing but measured response and tact.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mfc2006 said:
    Too little and way too late. Fuck Trump and his nonstop bullshit.

You guys don't think that after that condemnation speech has altered your perception of him a little?  I think it was a very great thing doing that.  Calling out those hate groups.
    No, doesn't change my perception of him at all. If anything, it's worse (if that is even possible). He showed his usual true self with his first statement. The only reason he made the second one was because he realized that his real statement caused a lot more backlash than his dimwitted brain could conceive at the time. it was damage control, pure and simple. Trump is WAAAAAAY beyond the point of redemption at this point.

But you guys wanted/needed him to call out the despicable evil and he did.  How is that not redemption?
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,610
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mfc2006 said:

You guys don't think that after that condemnation speech has altered your perception of him a little?  I think it was a very great thing doing that.  Calling out those hate groups.
    No, doesn't change my perception of him at all. If anything, it's worse (if that is even possible). He showed his usual true self with his first statement. The only reason he made the second one was because he realized that his real statement caused a lot more backlash than his dimwitted brain could conceive at the time. it was damage control, pure and simple. Trump is WAAAAAAY beyond the point of redemption at this point.

But you guys wanted/needed him to call out the despicable evil and he did.  How is that not redemption?
    Everyone has already answered this question.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mfc2006 said:

I'm just asking you specifically. The speech today was it bullshit or not?
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mfc2006 said:

I'm just asking you specifically. The speech today was it bullshit or not?
    He missed the sincere opportunity... today was about limiting damage.  Think... please. 
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mfc2006 said:

Well, I, for one am glad that he did.
    It was a paltry step after his initial statement and the tacit approval that it garnered in white supremacist circles, but better than nothing.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Do you expect violence and if so what will it be over?
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
    PJ_Soul said:
    mfc2006 said:

Like someone else said: too little, too late.  He should've called them out Saturday.  At the very latest it should've been his first statement when he woke up yesterday.  The white supremacist groups already took his initial statement as "he wasn't talking about us, he said all sides."
    He's just saying it now because he has to, not because he wants to.
    And there you have it.  He technically doesn't have to do anything.  Why does he have to? To save his Presidency or because it is the right thing or both?  Who is saying he has to do this?
    And there you have what, exactly? You totally missed ignored the fucking point and spun it some other way. In usual PJfan style.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    mfc2006 said:

Like someone else said: too little, too late.  He should've called them out Saturday.  At the very latest it should've been his first statement when he woke up yesterday.  The white supremacist groups already took his initial statement as "he wasn't talking about us, he said all sides."
    And there you have it.  He technically doesn't have to do anything.  Why does he have to? To save his Presidency or because it is the right thing or both?  Who is saying he has to do this?
    And there you have what, exactly? You totally missed ignored the fucking point and spun it some other way. In usual PJfan style.

I didn't spin anything.  I am unclear what you mean "he has to"
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,066
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    ^^^
    I think instead of making an immediate off the hip speech right after the tragic event happened would have been lost on so many.  No one cares what a politician says during an extreme time of hate/mourning/pain.  After a few days for everything to sink in and emotions a little ( I say a little) less heated the people who the message was intended for were in a better position to receive it.  You can't react to everything at every second and expect your message to be heard.  It's like people that constantly post in one thread.  Eventually people don't read them. So to answer no I don't think it was damage control.

that's a great point!
    how is that a great point? his comments 2 days apart contradict each other. the first was obviously from his puny brain, the second was probably written by Ivanka. 

I don't ever recall a sitting president saying nothing about a major event to "let the events sink in". 
    I think a politician talking a day or two after the event is a ok.  I mean fdr waited until december 8th.
    fair. but what about the "both sides" comment?
    Did you not see the video footage of the protesters attacking the supremacists?

I was wondering where the police presence was.
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,664
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    ^^^

that's a great point!

I think a politician talking a day or two after the event is a ok.  I mean fdr waited until december 8th.

It seems like the cops didn't do very good job on this one. 

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
    PJ_Soul said:
    mfc2006 said:

For someone who continually plays the semantics game, I have a hard time believing that.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    mfc2006 said:

For someone who continually plays the semantics game, I have a hard time believing that.

So can you explain in detail what you mean when you say "He's just saying it now because he has to" your point is not coming across.  I know it's hard to do online but if you try I will listen.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    ^^^

that's a great point!

I think they did pretty good....did you see the pictures of the armed supremacists?  Those guys were in body armor and camo.

Given the unrest I am surprised that there weren't shootings.  I would think the police deserve credit for that.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986
    edited August 2017
    Those aren't cops...
    http://imgur.com/JCY2Aru

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    It should have been common sense for the Presidential  statement to be made without the employment numbers and the off the cuff insertion of the the Trump brand into the center of the discussion, on SATURDAY.  
    He sort of needs better handlers.  Pathetic.

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    Can people stop talking to this person please?
  • Options

• Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    ^^^

that's a great point!

I think they did pretty good....did you see the pictures of the armed supremacists?  Those guys were in body armor and camo.

Given the unrest I am surprised that there weren't shootings.  I would think the police deserve credit for that.
    I saw a lot of pictures of armed people on both sides...
  • Options
    both sides no

• Options
    Tiki said:

See this is funny.  Unless it offends someone. 
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,657
    Yes
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    "on many sides, on many sides."
  • Options
    Those aren't cops...

They aren't National Guard either.
  • Options
    Tiki said:
    "on many sides, on many sides."
    You didn't see this as "any violence is bad"?
  • Options
    Those aren't cops...

They aren't National Guard either.

That is crazy.  It's even crazier that it is legal to do in your country.  That's messed up.
This discussion has been closed.