Comments

• PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited August 2017
    dignin said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Tiki said:
    Freedom of speech, yes.

Freedom to intimidate, no.
    I'm not sure who disagrees with this.  Let's name some groups known for intimidation through violence:
    KKK
    Antifa
    Nazis
    BLM
    ISIS
    etc...
    They should all be named as terrorist organizations.
    What a joke.
    Which mentioned group is not guilty of political  intimidation through violence, aka terrorism? 
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    pjhawks said:
    JC29856 said:
    g under p said:
    Any comment from Ben Carson regarding Charlottesville? Can someone go wake him up and ask him what is like working for a racist, white nationalist? Please.

I know you would prefer to have a different President but now you've gone from disagreeing with President Trump to he's a white nationalist?
    Isn't it obvious?

Ok.  So if someone disagrees with your stance what do you consider them.
    Do you actually pay attention or understand what it is that you write? Jeez!

Peace

I do yes.  People are starting to shut down any side of discussion on here until others agree with their stance.  There is some serious suppression going on.
    There is a reason for that: the recent incident is not up for discussion. Nazis and nazi supporters do not have a voice and never should have a voice.
    Who decides who can and cant have a voice? Sounds facist-y to me
    Common sense tells us what the limitations are for free speech. When speech is harmful... the brakes need to be applied.

Pedophiles cannot speak to the pleasures of children. They don't get a voice.
    Rapists cannot speak to women deserving rape because they wear revealing clothing. They don't get a voice.
    Nazis cannot speak to white supremacy because dark people are mud people. They don't get a voice.

Do you get the point?
    your point is completely wrong though.  Free speech defends the right to speech we don't like as much as the speech we do like.  In the US yes those assholes have to right to speak and assemble. it's a basic tenet of our democracy.  yes their message is 100% vile and disgusting, but they do have a right to promote that message.  If not then who decides what speech is ok and what speech is harmful to use your term? hell just look at social media and how often someone is offended by pretty much everything these days.  do you really want to go down that path where we start limiting speech by who is offended by it?
    It's not a matter of someone just being offended by something they don't like.  Nazism is communicating hatred.  When it is downright hate speech, yes, it should be suppressed.  We fucked up after WWII by not condemning symbols of the Nazi Party.  We should make amendment.
  • ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    There were plenty of anti racist demonstrators there who didn't come with the shields and helmets.  

Everyone of those KKK rebel/swastika flag waving tools came looking for violence.

There is no equivalence. 

Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
    edited August 2017
    Post edited by ikiT on
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,189
    pjhawks said:
    JC29856 said:
    g under p said:
    Any comment from Ben Carson regarding Charlottesville? Can someone go wake him up and ask him what is like working for a racist, white nationalist? Please.

I know you would prefer to have a different President but now you've gone from disagreeing with President Trump to he's a white nationalist?
    Isn't it obvious?

Ok.  So if someone disagrees with your stance what do you consider them.
    Do you actually pay attention or understand what it is that you write? Jeez!

Peace

I do yes.  People are starting to shut down any side of discussion on here until others agree with their stance.  There is some serious suppression going on.
    There is a reason for that: the recent incident is not up for discussion. Nazis and nazi supporters do not have a voice and never should have a voice.
    Who decides who can and cant have a voice? Sounds facist-y to me
    Common sense tells us what the limitations are for free speech. When speech is harmful... the brakes need to be applied.

Pedophiles cannot speak to the pleasures of children. They don't get a voice.
    Rapists cannot speak to women deserving rape because they wear revealing clothing. They don't get a voice.
    Nazis cannot speak to white supremacy because dark people are mud people. They don't get a voice.

Do you get the point?
    your point is completely wrong though.  Free speech defends the right to speech we don't like as much as the speech we do like.  In the US yes those assholes have to right to speak and assemble. it's a basic tenet of our democracy.  yes their message is 100% vile and disgusting, but they do have a right to promote that message.  If not then who decides what speech is ok and what speech is harmful to use your term? hell just look at social media and how often someone is offended by pretty much everything these days.  do you really want to go down that path where we start limiting speech by who is offended by it?
    It's not a matter of someone just being offended by something they don't like.  Nazism is communicating hatred.  When it is downright hate speech, yes, it should be suppressed.  We fucked up after WWII by not condemning symbols of the Nazi Party.  We should make amendment.
    i can see banning the symbols for sure.  when you start to tell someone they can't speak about things you disagree with is where the freedom of speech comes in.  i don't know maybe i'm drawing the line in the wrong place but to me freedom of speech is one of the most basic and important attributes of our democracy. even if it allows complete utter aholes and crazies to speak.  
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    The First Amendment does not, however, protect all speech. It does not, for example, protect speech that leads to illegal activity and/or imminent violence, obscenity, defamation, and libel. The First Amendment also does not protect speakers from liability for the foreseeable consequences of their speech.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,621
    edited August 2017
    1. Pence is not Trump.. Trump needs to speak clearly for himself. The alt-right does not follow the administration, they follow Trump.

2. Free speech is not unlimited. The courts have made this clear through litigation. When speech moves to intimidation or threats of violence, then it becomes a legal issue. You cannot threaten another person.

3. Nothing should prevent Trump for speaking clearly and without equivocation on the marches, whether they are legal or not. No one is arguing that Trump should conduct mass arrests or crackdowns on actual peaceful protesters, whichever side or however reprehensible their views are.

It's all really pretty straightforward, philosophically. The problem is that Trump cannot condemn violence perpetrated by the white nationalist side. Yet, he has no issue casting blame and ridicule on every other issue. He cannot condemn nationalists or Putin. He has no problem with anyone else. Seems quite odd.
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Tiki said:
    Careful Tiki, you're posting a link to a terrorist organization....someone might make a phone call and turn you in.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    ^^^

You're missing the point TB.  Who is supporting Nazis on here?  No one.  There are people on here that perceive others that do and shout at them and say their opinions and thoughts don't count. As I said Nazis and their supporters should never have a voice but just to be a normal guy and get labelled as one because I'm not going around calling everyone a Nazi is crazy.

Did someone call you a Nazi or are you speaking falsehoods?  
    I don't recall any posters here being called Nazis.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    edited August 2017
    mrussel1 said:
    1. Pence is not Trump.. Trump needs to speak clearly for himself. The alt-right does not follow the administration, they follow Trump.

2. Free speech is not unlimited. The courts have made this clear through litigation. When speech moves to intimidation or threats of violence, then it becomes a legal issue. You cannot threaten another person.

3. Nothing should prevent Trump for speaking clearly and without equivocation on the marches, whether they are legal or not. No one is arguing that Trump should conduct mass arrests or crackdowns on actual peaceful protesters, whichever side or however reprehensible their views are.

It's all really pretty straightforward, philosophically. The problem is that Trump cannot condemn violence perpetrated by the white nationalist side. Yet, he has no issue casting blame and ridicule on every other issue. He cannot condemn nationalists or Putin. He has no problem with anyone else. Seems quite odd.
    A few things if I may

Do/does the alt-right follow Bannon(senior counselor to the president)? Please clarify your comment alt-right does not follow the administration.
    Trump did condemn the "violence" which is not protected.
    I absolutely agree with this, Trump by not specifically calling out white nationalists and Putin, does rise to the level of odd.
    Post edited by JC29856 on
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    What it's like defending Trump.  So much winning.

Image result for the dream team oj
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,621
    JC29856 said:
    mrussel1 said:

A few things if I may

Do/does the alt-right follow Bannon(senior counselor to the president)? Please clarify your comment alt-right does not follow the administration.
    Trump did condemn the "violence" which is not protected.
    I absolutely agree with this, Trump by not specifically calling out white nationalists and Putin, does rise to the level of odd.
    Does the alt right follow Bannon or vice versa?  I have no idea.  I do know that Breitbart is the mouthpiece of the alt right.  We know Bannon ran Breitbart.  We rightly assume that he's feeding them info on McMaster from the West Wing.  I'm not sure what you are trying to get at with your question.  
    No, he condemned violence on many, many sides when only one side killed someone on Saturday.  He has yet to call the Duke/Spencer led nationalists.  Many, many republicans have, by name.  
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,570
    Trump identifies with Putin, thinks he's a strong leader. Putin murders political opponents and journalists, jails homosexuals. That's who I want as my president, someone who idolizes Putin. It really is very difficult for some here to see the parallels and why the outrage.

Follow the money, from Russia with love and a PTAPE, all the way to impeachment. 755.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,214
    "We're the platform for the alt right." - Steve Bannon at the RNC last year speaking about his website Breitbart.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,598
    Trump about to give a statement.  Here's your dog whistle. 
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,604
    PJPOWER said:
    Tiki said:
    Freedom of speech, yes.

I'm not sure who disagrees with this.  Let's name some groups known for intimidation through violence:
    KKK
    Antifa
    Nazis
    BLM
    ISIS
    etc...
    So antifa and blm have said things you disagree with and deserve the terrorist label?
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,604
    JC29856 said:
    g under p said:
    Let's see 36 hours no mention from the President of the Nazi white supremacist group's violence. On the the other hand in less than an hour he calls out the CEO of Merck an African American businessman.

What do think those white supremacists are thinking or feeling today? 

For me I think they're saying the MFing President has our backs.....high fives.

Peace
    Here is what I was referring to in a post yesterday about "radical Islamic terror" and hypocrisy.
    Trump is famous for asking Obama and whoever else, to condemn radical islamic terror(ism), Im para-phasing, how can you defeat it if you cant even say it. Trump campaigned on that phrase, saying it over and over. How stupid is it to think that saying radical islamic terror will somehow help solve it? Terrorists with their ears to Obama are suddently going to stop plowing into crowds and blowing up nightclubs if/when Obama says the words "radical islamic terror".
    Since charlottesville, everyone and their brother wants Trump to condemn specifically Nazis and the KKK because Im guessing by specifically saying KKK and Nazi Trump will suddenly rip the hate from there hearts and minds and they will trade in their Nazi flags for rainbow ones. It completely stupid on all sides. Its this a form of symptom blaming and not problem solving.
    I dont know how to stop racism, you cant ignore but you cant suppress their speech either.

Is racism all of a sudden a threat to our democracy? Should we take to the streets to raise awareness that white supremacists are racist? Should we protest that our president didnt condemn violence enough, by mentioning Nazis and the KKK?

You're missing a huge aspect of this. trump himself is a white supremacist and has white supremacists working with him in the White House. Therefore the threat trump poses to democracy is actual. 
    edited August 2017
    PJPOWER said:
    Tiki said:
    Freedom of speech, yes.

KKK
    Antifa
    Nazis
    BLM
    ISIS
    etc...
    So antifa and blm have said things you disagree with and deserve the terrorist label?
    Evidently you missed the "intimidation through violence" part...Not sure where you got confused unless you just did not read what you quoted.  What they say is just fine, when they pull their Louisville sluggers out and set shit on fire on the other hand...
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    So if Hillary were President there would be no KKK or White Supremecist rallies? This was gonna happen regardless of who was POTUS. You move or remove a confederate statue and people will protest. It became a national tragedy when that idiot drove that car into a crowd.
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• There he just called out all those hate groups.  Is he still a racist?
    still kinda pathetic.
    not good enough.
  • Tiki said:
    not good enough.

What do you want now?
  • Well that speech for sure didn't have any dog whistles in it.  He called out and condemned every group he was accused of supporting.  Good for him.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,598
    edited August 2017
    Tiki said:
    not good enough.

What do you want now?
    His favorite reporter (for real) seems to think he can do more

And perhaps...just perhaps do and say the right thing right away. Not after days.
  • JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    JC29856 said:
    g under p said:
    Let's see 36 hours no mention from the President of the Nazi white supremacist group's violence. On the the other hand in less than an hour he calls out the CEO of Merck an African American businessman.

What do think those white supremacists are thinking or feeling today? 

For me I think they're saying the MFing President has our backs.....high fives.

Peace
    Here is what I was referring to in a post yesterday about "radical Islamic terror" and hypocrisy.
    Trump is famous for asking Obama and whoever else, to condemn radical islamic terror(ism), Im para-phasing, how can you defeat it if you cant even say it. Trump campaigned on that phrase, saying it over and over. How stupid is it to think that saying radical islamic terror will somehow help solve it? Terrorists with their ears to Obama are suddently going to stop plowing into crowds and blowing up nightclubs if/when Obama says the words "radical islamic terror".
    Since charlottesville, everyone and their brother wants Trump to condemn specifically Nazis and the KKK because Im guessing by specifically saying KKK and Nazi Trump will suddenly rip the hate from there hearts and minds and they will trade in their Nazi flags for rainbow ones. It completely stupid on all sides. Its this a form of symptom blaming and not problem solving.
    I dont know how to stop racism, you cant ignore but you cant suppress their speech either.

Is racism all of a sudden a threat to our democracy? Should we take to the streets to raise awareness that white supremacists are racist? Should we protest that our president didnt condemn violence enough, by mentioning Nazis and the KKK?

You're missing a huge aspect of this. trump himself is a white supremacist and has white supremacists working with him in the White House. Therefore the threat trump poses to democracy is actual. 
    Maybe I am missing the point but I do not recall Trump ever being called a white supremacist/racist in his entire life until he ran against Democrats, he was a fairly public figure with a TV show for however many years. Im not a Trump life expert, I never paid much attention to him outside of his Atl City casinos and his purchase of a Jupiter golf club.

Would you put more stock in Trump calling out David Duke unprompted 17 years ago or would you put more stock in Trump now as president? I would guess he has more to gain politically if he called him out now, he had nothing to gain 17 years ago. If he is was racist why would he call out Duke unprompted, he wasnt even asked about Duke specifically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmixFl8Sxfo

I don't see how this white supremacy is anymore of a threat to our democracy now then 5 or 10 years ago. As I said I would have thought it would have been a bigger problem with Obama in the WH.
    There he just called out all those hate groups.  Is he still a racist?
    Yep, just named the KKK, Neo Nazis, White Supremacist specifically...Way better speech than Obama's dodging when BLM was setting Baltimore on fire...not that I'm a "trumpito" or anything.
This discussion has been closed.