Donald Trump

Comments

• Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    Who knows. Either or both?
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • CM189191CM189191 Posts: 6,927
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    Lol he keeps emphatically saying China Virus. What an asshole.
    It's a troll move.  He wants to Rs and Ls to argue over this, not his handling of the issue.  We should not take the bait.  Second, what's going to come of it?  Less reliance on China?  Great.  
    I'm pissed off at China for causing this with their wet markets where animals are inhumanely caged and slaughtered. Does that make me an asshole?
    Is calling the Spanish flu the Spanish flu racist?
    I dislike Trump as much as most of you on here but I don't think he's out of line here.

Answering your questions would probably be a violation of terms of service.

There are wet markets all over the world.  It has more to do with Chinese appetite for wild and endangered species than the prevalence of wet markets. 

Experts Say Neo-Nazi 'Accelerationists' Discuss Taking Advantage of Coronavirus Crisis

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/pkewgv/experts-say-neo-nazi-accelerationists-discuss-taking-advantage-of-coronavirus-crisis

#bebest
    CM189191 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    It's a troll move.  He wants to Rs and Ls to argue over this, not his handling of the issue.  We should not take the bait.  Second, what's going to come of it?  Less reliance on China?  Great.  
    I'm pissed off at China for causing this with their wet markets where animals are inhumanely caged and slaughtered. Does that make me an asshole?
    I dislike Trump as much as most of you on here but I don't think he's out of line here.

There are wet markets all over the world.  It has more to do with Chinese appetite for wild and endangered species than the prevalence of wet markets. 

Experts Say Neo-Nazi 'Accelerationists' Discuss Taking Advantage of Coronavirus Crisis

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/pkewgv/experts-say-neo-nazi-accelerationists-discuss-taking-advantage-of-coronavirus-crisis

#bebest
    Well, then they should stop eating endangered species and stop killing the rest of the planet.
    If they don't then no Chinese nationals should be allowed into other countries.
    Why would answering my question violate the terms of service?
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,165
    https://apple.news/AVTsE-GaWTnSIg1b_UBP4jg
    evil comes to mind , I’m not giving this man a pass on this at all! He deserves all the blame that will affect Americans period! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    CM189191 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:

#bebest
    Well, then they should stop eating endangered species and stop killing the rest of the planet.
    If they don't then no Chinese nationals should be allowed into other countries.
    Why would answering my question violate the terms of service?

Ah yes, isolation and protectionism. 

Is there anything those policies CAN'T solve?
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:

No one alive now has an emotional tie to the flu epidemic of 1918, but it’s certainly true that its origins were politicized and used to stoke racism at the time, just as Trump is doing now. In fact, there was a persistent rumour that it had started in Germany, and it was called by many the Hun Flu. Familiar phrasing? The fact that this is from an old playbook doesn’t mean it doesn’t work, and doesn’t make it any less pernicious. This is exactly why the WHO works hard now to come up with names that do not involve the putative country or species of origin. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331

Call Trump’s News Conferences What They Are: Propaganda

Then contrast them with the leadership shown by Andrew Cuomo, Justin Trudeau and Angela Merkel.

If the public wants factual news briefings, they need to tune in to those who are giving them: Gov. Andrew Cuomo of New York, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau of Canada and Chancellor Angela Merkel of Germany, whose addresses appear with English subtitles on Deutsche Welle. They should start following the many civic-minded epidemiologists and virologists and contagion experts on Twitter, like Harvard’s Marc Lipsitch and Yale’s Nicholas Christakis, whose threads have been invaluable primers in a time of awful confusion.

These are people with a high tolerance for uncertainty. It’s the president’s incapacity to tolerate it — combined with his bottomless need to self-flatter and preserve his political power — that leads, so often, to his spectacular fits of deception and misdirection. At his Thursday news conference, a discussion of chloroquine and other experimental therapies formed the core of his remarks, when those drugs and therapies are untested and unproven and, in some cases, won’t be ready for several months, as NBC’s Peter Alexander pointed out the following day.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/20/opinion/sunday/coronavirus-trump-news-conference.html

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,346
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:

No one alive now has an emotional tie to the flu epidemic of 1918, but it’s certainly true that its origins were politicized and used to stoke racism at the time, just as Trump is doing now. In fact, there was a persistent rumour that it had started in Germany, and it was called by many the Hun Flu. Familiar phrasing? The fact that this is from an old playbook doesn’t mean it doesn’t work, and doesn’t make it any less pernicious. This is exactly why the WHO works hard now to come up with names that do not involve the putative country or species of origin. 
    Except the first known cases were in Ft Levenworth KS among soldiers, ironically.
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:

Except the first known cases were in Ft Levenworth KS among soldiers, ironically.

Xenophobia doesn't mess around with facts.
  • myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855

Fauci face palm.
     Should be up there with ... The Heisman pose , Tebowing,  Faici-ing
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

edited March 2020
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:

1) Animals are inhumanely caged and slaughtered in most countries... Are you a vegetarian?

Wanna change the world? Start at home...

2)  Racist? Possibly, You do know the Spanish Flu started in the U.S., in the state of Kansas... right?
    It's called the Spanish Flu because Spain was the 1st country to admit and share with their people what was happening.

Yes the virus began in that wet market in that Chinese market, but it could have just as easily have been any number of countries.. Including yours or mine.

Post edited by myoung321 on

• Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,839

Fauci face palm.
    It’s on behalf of all of us. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:

Xenophobia doesn't mess around with facts.
    Truth
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:

Facts matter!  

• mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:

Here’s a list of a bunch of them I found:

-Norovirus... named after the outbreak in Norwalk, OH
    -Zika- from the Zika forest
    -ebola- named after a river in the region near yambuku 
    -Crimea-Congo- 2 places it was found
    -Lassa- named after the town of lassa
    -West Nile- WN area of Uganda 
    Guinea worm- found in west Africa new guinea
    -Rocky Mountain spotted fever- named after us mtn range, found in idaho
    -Lyme disease- named when it was discovered in Lyme, ct
    -Ross river fever- mosquitos in Ross river carried the disease, Queensland aus
    -Omsk hemorrhagic fever-named after it’s 1940s discovery in Omsk, russia
    -MERS- Middle East respiratory syndrome- aka “camel
    flu” found in Saudi Arabia and carried by travelers within the ME
    -Valley Fever- named after the San Joaquin valley in CA where it had an outbreak 
    -Marburg Virus Disease- from the  outbreak in Marburg, Germany
    -Japanese encephalitis- named where it began, first case was in Japan in 1871
    -German Measles (rubella)- named after the German doctors who first described it in the 18th century
    -Spanish Flu- unknown origin, but it earned the name Spanish Flu once Spanish newspapers began commonly reporting deaths from it

I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,737
    edited March 2020
    We HAVE to keep our eye on what these fuckers are doing, especially when its using the current crisis to implement abhorrent policy agenda....

By Zolan Kanno-Youngs and Annie Karni
      • March 20, 2020
      WASHINGTON — The White House, under the guise of its coronavirus response, is quietly advancing policies that President Trump has long advocated, from tougher border controls to an assault on organized labor to the stonewalling of congressional oversight.And across the government, departments have been citing the “whole of government” response to the pandemic as they push through the same policies they sought before the crisis. Just this week during a coronavirus briefing, Mr. Trump said his administration would use authority granted to the surgeon general to immediately turn away those who crossed the border illegally.At the Agriculture Department, officials said they were teaming up with companies like PepsiCo to quickly deliver food boxes to students in rural areas, although Congress has repeatedly rejected the Trump administration’s push for such meals, arguing that they contained low-quality food without healthy alternatives.Administration officials insist that such long-sought policies are necessary to stem the outbreak. But opportunism is clearly in play.“Under normal conditions there would be extended debate and back and forth, but under this emergency some of those things will get through with less scrutiny,” said David Lapan, a former spokesman for the Department of Homeland Security in the Trump administration. “It is a way to use this national emergency or pandemic to push through some of these quickly that might not get through in the normal course of business.”Mr. Trump, for instance, has claimed the “country is full” and wanted to shut the southwestern border to border crossers seeking asylum, but the courts have repeatedly said he must extend due process rights. So this week, using legal authorities granted to the surgeon general to pursue public health, he said he would move forward with sending foreigners who illegally cross the border, including asylum seekers, immediately back to Mexico for fear of spreading the coronavirus to detention facilities and Border Patrol agents.Days later, the Federal Labor Relations Authority published a little-noticed rule that would make it easier for federal workers to stop the withholding of their union dues, saying it would increase wages at a time of economic crisis. Everett Kelley, the national president of the American Federation of Government Employees, called the proposed rule “just another in a series of activist steps the F.L.R.A. has taken to advance this administration’s goal of busting unions.”Mr. Kelley said it was “disgraceful” that the administration would push forward with the rule “in the midst of a pandemic” that depended on federal employees like caregivers at the Veterans Affairs Department, airport screeners and food inspectors, all of whom are performing their jobs under hazardous conditions.In the midst of the outbreak, Mr. Trump pressured his top economic adviser to push Jerome H. Powell, the Federal Reserve chair, to rapidly and drastically cut interest rates as concern grew that the spreading disease could tip the United States into a recession. While Mr. Powell slashed rates by half a percentage point in one of the earliest global central bank responses to the virus, he was reluctant to cut them as aggressively as the president wanted him to before the outbreak.At the State Department, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has called for the release of political prisoners around the world, citing the virus instead of earlier arguments.Meantime, the White House has informed the House Oversight and Reform Committee that members of its coronavirus task force will not be testifying before the panel. The Trump administration said the officials could not be available for three weeks because they were “directly focused on executing its day-to-day response to Covid-19.”But the halt, Democrats said, appeared to be in line with the stonewalling the administration has engaged in since the Mueller investigation and the impeachment process, and came after testimony by health officials in the administration had raised serious questions about the White House response.Some lawmakers said the crisis was presenting the administration with a mixed bag of policies that furthered its agenda, and ones that ran counter to it.“They’re exploiting it for their ideological purposes, but they’re also having to simply acquiesce on traditional Democratic and progressive values as well,” said Representative Gerald E. Connolly, Democrat of Virginia. He noted that Republicans and Mr. Trump had been forced to support paid family leave, as well as the largest stimulus bill in history in a rush, “signing into law things they have historically opposed.”Opponents of Mr. Trump’s policies have also cited the national emergency in urging the president to pull back on his tariffs and relax enforcement by the Department of Housing and Urban Development and Immigration and Customs Enforcement, the agency tasked with deporting immigrants in the United States illegally.Representative Bennie Thompson of Mississippi, the chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee, said on Thursday that in order to ensure rapid testing of the coronavirus and provide care to the ill, “the Trump administration must state — publicly, formally and clearly — that all ICE raids will stop during this crisis except against felons or those who pose a risk to national security.”The White House has belatedly provided support to state governments after weeks of criticism that the full capacity of the federal government had not been used to quell the pandemic. But one of Mr. Trump’s earliest steps to contain the spread of the virus was to revert to one of his favorite topics: border security.Lawmakers said the outbreak was also presenting the Trump administration with policies ran counter to its agenda.Credit...Doug Mills/The New York TimesWhen pressed about his administration’s response to the outbreak, Mr. Trump often refers to the early decision to enforce stringent travel restrictions that barred foreigners from coronavirus hot spots and funneled Americans abroad to designated airports.He expanded that effort this week when he confirmed that he would move to seal the southwest border to those who lacked legal authorization. That could have been avoidable “if there had been more recognition that this could be a pandemic that it has become,” said Noah Kroloff, a former Homeland Security Department chief of staff.“You might have been able to prevent some of the more onerous measures that have had to be taken now,” he added.The White House said the only factor in its response was protecting the public health. Judd Deere, a White House spokesman, said that “whether it be providing food to children impacted by school closures, closing our border to certain countries and regions where the virus is spreading, or pausing all interest on student loans, this president wants us to put politics aside and come together.”While there were 118 confirmed cases of the virus in Mexico as of Thursday evening compared with more than 13,000 in the United States and more than 800 in Canada, Mr. Trump said his administration was committed to using powers granted to top health officials to turn away those crossing the border illegally.Under the new rule, the details of which continue to be developed, Border Patrol agents would immediately drive migrants who cross illegally to the nearest port of entry and return them to Mexico without detaining them or providing due process. It is unclear whether the tight restrictions would apply to certain migrants like unaccompanied children or people requesting protections at the ports of entry.Even before the government of Mexico agreed to sign off on the rule, Mr. Trump said his administration would rapidly enact it. Previous proposals that would return Central American migrants from the United States to Mexico required the consent of Mexico.The Mexican government, which was blindsided by the policy, said that Marcelo Ebrard, Mexico’s foreign minister, had spoken with Mr. Pompeo by phone on Tuesday “to share information and coordinate mechanisms to prevent the spread of Covid-19 between both countries.”Mr. Ebrard “emphasized the willingness of the government of Mexico to collaborate with the various authorities of the United States government to face — jointly and in coordination — the pandemic at the regional level,” the Mexican government said.Administration officials have argued that the move is not an attempt to fulfill Mr. Trump’s campaign promise of a border crackdown, but rather to prevent an outbreak in detention centers along the border.“He’s keeping his campaign promise to protect Americans and protect this country,” said Thomas Homan, the former acting director of Immigration and Customs Enforcement. “That’s why the southern border is closing.”Reporting was contributed by Lola Fadulu, Lara Jakes and Alan Rappeport from Washington, and Kirk Semple from Mexico City.Zolan Kanno-Youngs is the homeland security correspondent, based in Washington. He covers immigration, border issues, cyber security, transnational crime and other national security threats. Annie Karni is a White House correspondent. She previously covered the White House and Hillary Clinton’s 2016 presidential campaign for Politico, and covered local news and politics in New York City for the New York Post and the New York Daily News. @AnnieKarni

Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
    We HAVE to keep our eye on what these fuckers are doing, especially when its using the current crisis to implement abhorrent policy agenda....

Paywall..  I only have the post
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,165
    https://apple.news/ARcg5ehAEQrGR6FJj2qpqeA
    Blame the other guy I’m perfect damn what a disgraceful human how how can anyone still like this man is beyond my comprehension..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,663
    https://apple.news/ARcg5ehAEQrGR6FJj2qpqeA
    Blame the other guy I’m perfect damn what a disgraceful human how how can anyone still like this man is beyond my comprehension..
    The republican politicians and voters don't care as long as he claims to be a lover of christ, money, and guns. And a hater of abortion, foreigners, and the truth.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,737
    edited March 2020
    sorry about the lack of paragraph breaks on that article....

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    Something something checks balances three branches
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,519
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:

he says that because, while the virus originated in china, his supporters and racists take it as a call to arms that this virus originated in chinese PEOPLE. 

The spanish flu was called that for very different reasons, and you know, that 1918. it didn't actually originate there. just first reported there. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

myoung321 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:

1) Animals are inhumanely caged and slaughtered in most countries... Are you a vegetarian?

Wanna change the world? Start at home...

2)  Racist? Possibly, You do know the Spanish Flu started in the U.S., in the state of Kansas... right?
    It's called the Spanish Flu because Spain was the 1st country to admit and share with their people what was happening.

Yes the virus began in that wet market in that Chinese market, but it could have just as easily have been any number of countries.. Including yours or mine.

Those other countries do not eat endangered species though.
    They eat everything in China.

where did SARS start? China!
    Fuck them, they are killing others because of their disgusting diet.
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:

Here’s a list of a bunch of them I found:

-Norovirus... named after the outbreak in Norwalk, OH
    -Zika- from the Zika forest
    -ebola- named after a river in the region near yambuku 
    -Crimea-Congo- 2 places it was found
    -Lassa- named after the town of lassa
    -West Nile- WN area of Uganda 
    Guinea worm- found in west Africa new guinea
    -Rocky Mountain spotted fever- named after us mtn range, found in idaho
    -Lyme disease- named when it was discovered in Lyme, ct
    -Ross river fever- mosquitos in Ross river carried the disease, Queensland aus
    -Omsk hemorrhagic fever-named after it’s 1940s discovery in Omsk, russia
    -MERS- Middle East respiratory syndrome- aka “camel
    flu” found in Saudi Arabia and carried by travelers within the ME
    -Valley Fever- named after the San Joaquin valley in CA where it had an outbreak 
    -Marburg Virus Disease- from the  outbreak in Marburg, Germany
    -Japanese encephalitis- named where it began, first case was in Japan in 1871
    -German Measles (rubella)- named after the German doctors who first described it in the 18th century
    -Spanish Flu- unknown origin, but it earned the name Spanish Flu once Spanish newspapers began commonly reporting deaths from it

And your point is?
    Everyone is anxious. Humans don’t deal well with fear. We want to get rid of it somehow, so we convert it to anger, which feels more powerful, and project that onto the other. It doesn’t help, though. 

^ ^ wtf is your point?
    So noone here blames China? 
    So I am racist for blaming then now am I?
    So noone here blames China? 
    So I am racist for blaming then now am I?
    If it looks like a duck,
    Quacks like a duck,
    It's probably a duck
This discussion has been closed.