Options

Donald Trump

Comments

• Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,753
    edited August 2019
    A few of the individuals who have committed these mass shootings would be considered mentally ill, but most are not. Most violence, including serious mass violence, is due more to uncontrolled anger and rage, often fuelled by alcohol and drugs. 
    Uncontrolled anger and rage would qualify as a mental illness. Intermittent Explosive Disorder would be the diagnosis. 
    I have no problem with talking about ways to limit gun ownership and attempts to identify who poses the highest risk, but we have to remember that most of the time that isn’t someone who is mentally ill. Let’s not try to foist the responsibility for this issue onto the mentally ill; they have difficult enough burdens to carry. 
    Other than stupid Trump, I don't think anyone is trying to foist any responsibility on to the mentally ill community. Or at least I'm not. I just think that they shouldn't be able to buy guns. 
    Inevitably someone is going to say to this “you have to be mentally ill to kill people”. No, you don’t. 
    If you murder a dozen strangers with an assault rifle for no reason, you're mentally ill. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,720
    China literally dropped the hammer in the trade war, devaluing the yuan.  Mass correction happening, which is overdue.  The reality is that the recession is here.  -900 is pretty massive. 

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/markets-now-stocks-sink-chinas-134045505.html
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    A few of the individuals who have committed these mass shootings would be considered mentally ill, but most are not. Most violence, including serious mass violence, is due more to uncontrolled anger and rage, often fuelled by alcohol and drugs. 
    Uncontrolled anger and rage would qualify as a mental illness. Intermittent Explosive Disorder would be the diagnosis. 
    I have no problem with talking about ways to limit gun ownership and attempts to identify who poses the highest risk, but we have to remember that most of the time that isn’t someone who is mentally ill. Let’s not try to foist the responsibility for this issue onto the mentally ill; they have difficult enough burdens to carry. 
    Other than stupid Trump, I don't think anyone is trying to foist any responsibility on to the mentally ill community. Or at least I'm not. I just think that they shouldn't be able to buy guns. 
    Inevitably someone is going to say to this “you have to be mentally ill to kill people”. No, you don’t. 
    If you murder a dozen strangers with an assault rifle for no reason, you're mentally ill. 
    The criteria for intermittent explosive disorder are specific and do not apply to the typical instances in which  these shootings occur. 

And once again, no, killing people does not a mental disorder make, as much as people would like it to be so. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    The act of saying that killing people means that you’re mentally ill is putting the responsibility for these killings on those who are mentally ill, because that’s how you’re defining it. 
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    mrussel1 said:
    China literally dropped the hammer in the trade war, devaluing the yuan.  Mass correction happening, which is overdue.  The reality is that the recession is here.  -900 is pretty massive. 

Get them while they’re on sale!
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    mrussel1 said:

I think it's a bit early to by a buyer.  I'm guessing there's another 2-3k to go, at least.  
  • Options
    The criteria for intermittent explosive disorder are specific and do not apply to the typical instances in which  these shootings occur. 

And once again, no, killing people does not a mental disorder make, as much as people would like it to be so. 
    Does not a mental disorder make? Sounds like something Niles would say on Frazier. 

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this. You think people that murder others for no reason are angry and fueled by alcohol and drugs, and I think they're fucking crazy. Not "crazy" in that they aren't able to control themselves. "Crazy" in that they've thought this out, planned it, and concluded that murdering a bunch of people is the best course of action for them. That's fucking crazy. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    As per the diagnostic criteria for IED, “these acts are impulsive and are not premeditated...”

Which eliminates any mass shooting for which the shooter planned, acquired weapons, traveled to a specific location, posted about online.... so essentially every recent mass shooting we have knowledge about. 
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Okay then. Rule out IED since it doesn't fit the criteria. But I still think that people that carry out these shootings are mentally ill. Even if the DSM doesn't have a specific diagnosis. A generic diagnosis of "fucking crazy" will do. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,207
    edited August 2019
    I would qualify "voting for Donald Trump" as a sign of being mentally ill.

But maybe we can meet half way and just call them "sick in their racists little heads", and leave the mentally ill as a diagnose for when doctors actually decides that someone is mentally ill?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    That's possible. Liking Load better than Kill 'Em All and Justice For All is right up there too though. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    That's possible. Liking Load better than Kill 'Em All and Justice For All is right up there too though. 

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mrussel1 said:

I think it's a bit early to by a buyer.  I'm guessing there's another 2-3k to go, at least.  
    Yeah, I think you’re right
  • Options

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    mrussel1 said:

so good at business.

Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options

• Options
    Okay then. Rule out IED since it doesn't fit the criteria. But I still think that people that carry out these shootings are mentally ill. Even if the DSM doesn't have a specific diagnosis. A generic diagnosis of "fucking crazy" will do. 
    “Angry racists” does just fine for me. I philosophically object to medicalizing racism. That’s one step closer to the “he couldn’t help it” argument. 

Could make it “angry male racists” for further clarity” but that tends to ruffle feathers. 
  • Options
    This cannot be a real thing.  They've done nothing worthy since Justice.  
  • Options
    “Angry racists” does just fine for me. I philosophically object to medicalizing racism. That’s one step closer to the “he couldn’t help it” argument. 

Could make it “angry male racists” for further clarity” but that tends to ruffle feathers. 
    But how many of these mass shootings are racially motivated? I know the one in El Paso appears to very much be. But with most of the others, it doesn't seem like the shooter had much more intention than to kill whoever they can kill. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    Nothing more expected and tired than the "only the 80s output count" crowd.

Trump would say something similiar. "They really lost their edge after Justice. Believe me. Sad. James took singing lessons. I have never taken singing lessons. believe me. Supersad. Ivanka would be the best groupie. Would say no to Lars. Only yes to James. maybe Jason. And me."

https://youtu.be/qT4qX9UPJ3c
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Trump would say something similiar. "They really lost their edge after Justice. Believe me. Sad. James took singing lessons. I have never taken singing lessons. believe me. Supersad. Ivanka would be the best groupie. Would say no to Lars. Only yes to James. maybe Jason. And me."

Metallica became a bunch of corporatist, jingoist ballad writers after Justice.  They left behind every principle that made them who they were for the first five albums (I'm including Garage).  They fucking suck.  Fuck them.  They were even dickheads at CC's tribute show.  And your comment is even dumber because I hate the fucking 80's more than I hate Metallica.  
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Metallica became a bunch of corporatist, jingoist ballad writers after Justice.  They left behind every principle that made them who they were for the first five albums (I'm including Garage).  They fucking suck.  Fuck them.  They were even dickheads at CC's tribute show.  And your comment is even dumber because I hate the fucking 80's more than I hate Metallica.  
    You didn't understand my comment it seems. Which would make your comment dumber than mine though.

the "too cool for a ballad" people... I tell ya
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,962
    edited August 2019
    About time:
    https://apple.news/Az1TJ3zGnSQeh95GxwsX-dA

Republican state lawmaker criticizes his party for 'enabling white supremacy'

Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

You didn't understand my comment it seems. Which would make your comment dumber than mine though.

If I can't decipher your comment, it's not on me.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Narrator: It actually was
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,136
    mcgruff10 said:
    Woah!  Will there be others to follow suit?
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,962
    mcgruff10 said:
    Woah!  Will there be others to follow suit?
    Man let's hope so!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Narrator: It actually was

Seems obvious this was a lame dig.  People who grew up with Metallica and were around, and got to see them with Cliff (I saw them open for Ozzy), generally write off their "sell out" years when they went all "Slippery When Wet".  And then they decided to go after Napster.  And made fun of Layne because of his addictions.  And now they decide to sell tickets directly to scalpers because they don't think they're pricing them high enough.  88K tickets.   Like I said.. bunch of assholes.  Maybe they've always been that way (probably), but for those of us that pay attention, it became obvious in 91.  
    https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2019/07/19/live-nation-scalper-metallica-recorded/
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    Yo this guy is THE WORST at his job.  He sucks. 

Tariffs that send us into recession? Check.  Who thought that was a good idea?

Shit for brains.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options

But how many of these mass shootings are racially motivated? I know the one in El Paso appears to very much be. But with most of the others, it doesn't seem like the shooter had much more intention than to kill whoever they can kill. 
    You’re right, I don’t think all are racially motivated, though many are. The shooting at the black church was racially motivated. The shooting at the synagogue was anti-Semitic, so a similar motivation. That one night club shooting seemed to be targeting the LGBTQ community; not a race, but an identifiable and vulnerable community.

Hatred of “the other”. 
This discussion has been closed.