Options

Obamacare is a mess

Comments

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Pre-existing conditions being covered is not insurance. 
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I think my an-cap translator is broken.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    That is your common sense translator.
  • Options
    unsung said:
    Pre-existing conditions being covered is not insurance. 
    This statement doesn't make sense without any context.
    Are you saying that the coverage of pre-existing conditions is incompatible with insurance?
    Are you saying that having insurance is not contingent on having coverage of pre-existing conditions? 
    Are you saying something else?

• Options
    I am saying that by definition insurance can't cover pre-existing conditions.  Insurance is supposed to be used if necessary.  Do you use insurance on your car if the battery goes bad?  No, you don't.  You use insurance if you get in a wreck.  

Same goes for healthcare.  If I am going in for a checkup I should have to pay directly for it.  Insurance should be there for if you have an emergency or have a life threatening illness.

Should I have to subsidize a thirty year smoker because they got lung cancer?  What about someone who has severe diabetes because they weigh 400lbs?  

So saying that those with pre-existing problems should be covered by insurance is technically inaccurate.  Call it what it really is, a gift.
  • Options
    unsung said:
    I am saying that by definition insurance can't cover pre-existing conditions.  Insurance is supposed to be used if necessary.  Do you use insurance on your car if the battery goes bad?  No, you don't.  You use insurance if you get in a wreck.  

Same goes for healthcare.  If I am going in for a checkup I should have to pay directly for it.  Insurance should be there for if you have an emergency or have a life threatening illness.

Should I have to subsidize a thirty year smoker because they got lung cancer?  What about someone who has severe diabetes because they weigh 400lbs?  

So saying that those with pre-existing problems should be covered by insurance is technically inaccurate.  Call it what it really is, a gift.
    Ah I see.
    That doesn't make sense in any real world scenarios, but at least I know what you meant now.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    unsung said:

Thought process brought to you by the far right.

"I know! Let's call it health insurance, rather than health care. Then the focus is on the insurance companies, and they get to make a ton of money, like all insurance companies. And when people expect to have their health care needs covered, we'll just tell them it's insurance so don't expect to get covered".

Meanwhile, in the rest of the sane world, it's called health care and people who get sick are covered, regardless of why they got sick. Because all of us eventually get sick, unless we just plain die first.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    unsung said:

Fiscally it makes more sense to do a regular oil change on your car than to wait for catastrophic engine failure when your engine seizes up.

Preventative health care is cheaper than emergency health care.

• Options
    unsung said:

"I know! Let's call it health insurance, rather than health care. Then the focus is on the insurance companies, and they get to make a ton of money, like all insurance companies. And when people expect to have their health care needs covered, we'll just tell them it's insurance so don't expect to get covered".

Meanwhile, in the rest of the sane world, it's called health care and people who get sick are covered, regardless of why they got sick. Because all of us eventually get sick, unless we just plain die first.
    Nobody has denied anyone health care.
  • Options
    dignin said:
    unsung said:

Fiscally it makes more sense to do a regular oil change on your car than to wait for catastrophic engine failure when your engine seizes up.

Having a healthy lifestyle is cheaper than that.
  • Options
    unsung said:
    dignin said:
    unsung said:

Yeah that's real fucking rich, what a fuckhead thing to say in a public forum where there are people who have children born with diseases and disabilities.
    It doesn't matter to Unsung if it doesn't effect Unsung.
  • Options
    RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,206
    Not to mention the fact that healthy food is more expensive and hard to find in poor neighborhoods, so the people that are least likely to be able to afford quality health insurance are also the least likely to be able to access/afford quality/healthy food. But fuck those kids, they should know better to be born into those poor families. 
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,635
    unsung said:

If you're going to compare to car insurance, then you know you're subsidizing others poor driving, right?
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,542
    unsung said:
    unsung said:

What is the problem then if no one is denied healthcare?

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    rgambs said:
    unsung said:
    dignin said:
    unsung said:

Yeah that's real fucking rich, what a fuckhead thing to say in a public forum where there are people who have children born with diseases and disabilities.
    yeah, if i lived in the US, our family would eventually be homeless and my daughter would be dead. 

#MAGA
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    ∆∆
    Don't worry, an altered photograph of a healthcare receipt is forthcoming to show that every taker gets what they need at the expense of one of our industrious makers!
  • Options
    unsung said:
    unsung said:

Again, why should people subsidize poor life decisions of others?

Why should I be forced to pay for someone's cancer when they smoked for thirty years?

And don't give me the childhood illnesses either, I haven't heard anyone dispute that.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    unsung said:
    dignin said:
    unsung said:

Whatever.  Nobody has said that.  Cut the drama.
  • Options
    unsung said:

If you're going to compare to car insurance, then you know you're subsidizing others poor driving, right?
    Car insurance isn't used for every single issue a car has, as I have already explained.
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,635
    unsung said:
    unsung said:

Car insurance isn't used for every single issue a car has, as I have already explained.
    I was responding to your point about people subsidizing others for their lifestyle choices. Taxes go toward the collective. I pay for someones 20 mile commute because they want to live outside of town with acres. Taxes should go to a single-payer health insurance system. Health care is something we all access and benefit from, therefore part of a collective domocracy. 
  • Options
    unsung said:
    unsung said:

Nope, you can't have it both ways. You can't simultaneously claim that insurance is properly only for emergency health expenses and also claim that no one is denied health care, because health care is far, far more than emergency issues. 

And life is a crap shoot. None of us has a perfect lifestyle, partly because there is no clear consensus on what that is. All of us have unhealthy habits; we just justify them as not as bad as someone else's unhealthy habits. And far more of health outcomes relate to someone's genetic endowment than you think, and none of us have control over that. 
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,542
    unsung said:
    unsung said:
    unsung said:

Again, why should people subsidize poor life decisions of others?

Why should I be forced to pay for someone's cancer when they smoked for thirty years?

And don't give me the childhood illnesses either, I haven't heard anyone dispute that.

I understand and agree it sucks to pay for someone's health care who knowingly makes unhealthy decisions. 

Now, say this person with lung cancer comes into your hospital (you are a doctor).  Are you going to "pull the plug" on them and say "Sorry, I'm not going to treat you because you have no money.  Please go outside and slowly die."  If you would do that, then you are being true to your convictions.  If not, let's stop beating around the bush and just realize there are going to be irresponsible people we as a society have to take care of when it comes to health care. 

• Options
    blueandwhiteblueandwhite Posts: 662
    I'm so happy that I'm not an American. As someone with chronic Kidney disease I shudder to think about what my long-term prospects would look like if I lived in the US. From an outsider's perspective America seems like a cruel place to live. 
  • Options
    unsung said:
    unsung said:

I was responding to your point about people subsidizing others for their lifestyle choices. Taxes go toward the collective. I pay for someones 20 mile commute because they want to live outside of town with acres. Taxes should go to a single-payer health insurance system. Health care is something we all access and benefit from, therefore part of a collective domocracy. 
    And that is the main disagreement.  Government should not be in the healthcare business.
  • Options
    unsung said:
    unsung said:

Nope, you can't have it both ways. You can't simultaneously claim that insurance is properly only for emergency health expenses and also claim that no one is denied health care, because health care is far, far more than emergency issues. 

And life is a crap shoot. None of us has a perfect lifestyle, partly because there is no clear consensus on what that is. All of us have unhealthy habits; we just justify them as not as bad as someone else's unhealthy habits. And far more of health outcomes relate to someone's genetic endowment than you think, and none of us have control over that. 
    Clearly you are missing the point I made.
  • Options
    unsung said:
    unsung said:
    unsung said:

And that is the main disagreement.  Government should not be in the healthcare business.

Health care is one of the items that is most ideally suited to be delivered by government, so I can only assume this is just part and parcel of your general opinion that government should not be involved in any aspect of life.

Unless you are actually focusing on the "business" aspect, in which case I agree with you - health care should not be run under a business model. But I don't think that's what you meant.
  • Options
    unsung said:
    unsung said:
    unsung said:

Clearly you are missing the point I made.
    Or possibly I just disagree with it.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    unsung said:
    unsung said:
    unsung said:

so you'd prefer it be run by corporations whose only goal is to turn a profit?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    unsung said:
    unsung said:
    unsung said:

so you'd prefer it be run by corporations whose only goal is to turn a profit?
    So you'd prefer it to be run by government who has never actually run anything without a bloated budget and reckless spending? 
This discussion has been closed.