Options

Creepy/Weird guy at the gym

Comments

• Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165

Fight fire with fire. Ask him if he wants to see the collection of Barbie doll heads in your locker. Maybe if you act creepier than him, he will avoid you.

Seeing he is a jock type and a homophobe I will just say I am gay (I'm straight), read a lot, write poetry and paint artworks.
    He'll probably think, "you're a fag, fk you"
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    rgambs said:

OP, are you male or female?

Male.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,889
    It's pretty simple actually, tell him to back the fuck off in the nicest "but I mean business way". If you haven't done that by now, well, what good is advice for if you're still looking for other avenues and answers to solve your problem.... Deal with and solve your shit and get your run on in peace. (I mean this in the nicest way, trust me) When your tired of somebodies shit, you tell them, simple as that. If they still don't get it, figure out what to do next. Only you can solve this equation. This is turning into a much more complicated process with many solutions when only you possess the answer than can solve this riddle.
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

rgambs said:

Male.
    Headphones are the non-confrontational route, and if you stubbornly refuse to make eye contact you can pretend not to notice people that are ridiculously auspicious.
    If you want a more permanent solution, you will have to confront him.
    I think you should just say, "hey bud, I don't want to be offensive, but I come to the gym to meditate and I need to be alone with my thoughts"
    What's he going to do about it? Just because he acts a bit weird and doesn't have social boundaries doesn't indicate he will attack you. If he does, whoop his ass!!! If your gym offers any kind of martial art you should take classes anyways. Judo or jiu-jitsu are better self-defence philosophies than boxing, don't ever let anyone tell you otherwise.
    Based off your posts in this thread and the smoky toker one, I think some self-empowerment might be good for you. Caution is always best, but when caution is no longer an option, confidence is absolutely critical.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Did you buy the headphones yet?
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Male.
    Headphones are the non-confrontational route, and if you stubbornly refuse to make eye contact you can pretend not to notice people that are ridiculously auspicious.
    I think you should just say, "hey bud, I don't want to be offensive, but I come to the gym to meditate and I need to be alone with my thoughts"
    What's he going to do about it? Just because he acts a bit weird and doesn't have social boundaries doesn't indicate he will attack you. If he does, whoop his ass!!! If your gym offers any kind of martial art you should take classes anyways. Judo or jiu-jitsu are better self-defence philosophies than boxing, don't ever let anyone tell you otherwise.
    Based off your posts in this thread and the smoky toker one, I think some self-empowerment might be good for you. Caution is always best, but when caution is no longer an option, confidence is absolutely critical.
    Thanks man. I am too soft as a person. A pushover. A yes man and not a no man.
    I am not that strong physically, no muscly arms, no fighting skills, he'd probably kick my ass, he says he plays Aussie football so he's probably tough.
  • Options

Did you buy the headphones yet?

Nope. I can't afford it right now.
    I have some Sennheisers with a noice reduction button thing. I don't want to get them ruined by sweat.
    Might have to get some cheap headbands.
  • Options
    Thank you all for the advice. I don't want to sound like I am not listening.
    I know only I can solve this problem if I find the courage to do it.
    I don't want to drag this thread out any longer.
  • Options

Thank you all for the advice. I don't want to sound like I am not listening.
    I know only I can solve this problem if I find the courage to do it.
    I don't want to drag this thread out any longer.

That's a great first step... We all have choices to make everyday, how we deal with them is up to that individual and nobody else. Advice is always great, but, it's just advice. You control you're own life, nobody can make decisions for you when it's time to make them. Take care of your shit and go get it done..... Live your life.
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Male.
    I am not that strong physically, no muscly arms, no fighting skills, he'd probably kick my ass, he says he plays Aussie football so he's probably tough.
    Well, self-defence classes would make you feel more confident. If he kicks your ass he will have to find a new gym lol

Don't think of yourself in those negative ways, positive thought is step one to being stronger, right?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Male.
    Well, self-defence classes would make you feel more confident. If he kicks your ass he will have to find a new gym lol

Don't think of yourself in those negative ways, positive thought is step one to being stronger, right?
    I wanted to join a boxing gym but I cannot afford it as I am unemployed and a university student.
  • Options

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Male.

I wanted to join a boxing gym but I cannot afford it as I am unemployed and a university student.
    Too many excuses, you don't need to pay for a gym when Mother Nature is out there that offers all you need for free. I don't know your circumstances, etc, so It's not my place to say anything else. You have gotten many positive replies to help you out, are you taking it seriously or is this just a big joke? It's pretty rare in life strangers will be there to help somebody out, that's what PJ fans do, they lend a hand. But like a broken or scratched record, it gets hard at times to keep listening to that damn thing. I wish you the best OP. Good luck...PJ4LIFE!

• Options
    Attaway77 said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Male.

Too many excuses, you don't need to pay for a gym when Mother Nature is out there that offers all you need for free. I don't know your circumstances, etc, so It's not my place to say anything else. You have gotten many positive replies to help you out, are you taking it seriously or is this just a big joke? It's pretty rare in life strangers will be there to help somebody out, that's what PJ fans do, they lend a hand. But like a broken or scratched record, it gets hard at times to keep listening to that damn thing. I wish you the best OP. Good luck...PJ4LIFE!
    I meant to learn how to throw punches, block punches, slip punches taught by a professional boxing coach.
    Running on the road is bad for my knees so I go gym as treadmills are best for me, plus gym bikes beat road riding where I have nearly been run over and had passers by throw shit out the car window at me or abuse me.
    Not making excuses dude.
    Not a big joke.
  • Options
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,144
    I found a brand new pair for $10 on Amazon last summer as my extras. Bought my original ones for $5 new in the store. iPhone earbuds suck. Haven't used a pair since iPod one back in 2002.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options

I found a brand new pair for $10 on Amazon last summer as my extras. Bought my original ones for $5 new in the store. iPhone earbuds suck. Haven't used a pair since iPod one back in 2002.
    I agree. Worst, they keep popping out even when I am sitting still.
    I use my Sony Walkman buds in my iPod.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,144

I agree. Worst, they keep popping out even when I am sitting still.
    I use my Sony Walkman buds in my iPod.
    They come with different removable rubber heads for different size ears. They're so good I can't hear the shitty music they pump into the gym surround style. Trust me. You won't be thinking about too much when you've got good tunes blasting in your ears AND can't hear anything else.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    So the other day I walked into the room with bikes, rower, air walkers and he was going hard on the rower talking aggressively to himself as if in a heated confrontation with someone, he was saying "you say that about my cousin huh?" and he repeated it a few times whilst pulling the cord hard and looking directly in front at the mirror then he got up and walked out. I managed to sneak past him and get on my bike. He didn't see me thankfully.
    I turned to the lady behind me on a air walker and asked wtf happened there, she said he talks to himself.
    Very disturbing. He was so angry.
    I wasn't sure if I should report it to the gym staff. I didn't see him after that.
    Post edited by Thoughts_Arrive on
  • Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790

So the other day I walked into the room with bikes, rower, air walkers and he was going hard on the rower talking aggressively to himself as if in a heated confrontation with someone, he was saying "you say that about my cousin huh?" and he repeated it a few times whilst pulling the cord hard and looking directly in front at the mirror then he got up and walked out. I managed to sneak past him and get on my bike. He didn't see me thankfully.
    I turned to the lady behind me on a air walker and asked wtf happened there, she said he talks to himself.
    I wasn't sure if I should report it to the gym staff. I didn't see him after that.

We all have different motivation at the gym to use when we need a boost. Dude just wanted to push himself a little harder and if that is what works for him then no one should have an issue. At this point it seems like you are obsessing about him. I would just let it be, do your workout and not worry what others are doing unless they are causing issues directly to you.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,651
    edited February 2017

This sounds like.....being at a gym.
    If this unnerves you I dont think you are going to be comfortable at a gym. The grunting, posing, self motivating grumbler guy seems like a certain percentage of weight lifting guys.
    I'm sorry but even the idea of reporting this is crazy to me.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I talk to myself at work sometimes...and have been bracing myself for a talking-to from HR ;)

Really, heed the advice of the two above me, and the plethora of suggestions in this thread.

FIND A WAY! Through, around or over.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,651
    hedonist said:

I talk to myself at work sometimes...and have been bracing myself for a talking-to from HR ;)

Really, heed the advice of the two above me, and the plethora of suggestions in this thread.

FIND A WAY! Through, around or over.

Someone talked smack on your cousin?
    "You said that about my cousin?!! Take that, tax form! Take that!!"
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527

Creepy/Weird that always tries to chat with me comes and uses the treadmill next to me at the gym when there are 10 other treadmills to choose from and tries to have a chat with me. "Do you like Football (Aussie Rules)/Soccer?" (I lied and said NO to both sports questions to try and end the conversation) "Do you watch Married at first sight?" "Fucking Lesbians they make me sick" "I've been here for 4 hours, you know, to get the blood up"

That was some of what went on the other day.
    I was alone in the treadmill room in the gym and he comes next to me. He also kept checking out my screen to see what pace I was running and at the end of his run he said he could do better, like as if he was competing with me.
    Previously he always says hi and wants to chat, he does this to other people to.

Should I be worried? Report him to management?

Is his name Ani?
    This made me laugh. If Ani is flying
    To AU to work out, he totally
    Out-creeps the Treadmill Stalker at TA's gym.

My suggestion, is if that guy starts trying to talk to you.. go find another treadmill.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

We all have different motivation at the gym to use when we need a boost. Dude just wanted to push himself a little harder and if that is what works for him then no one should have an issue. At this point it seems like you are obsessing about him. I would just let it be, do your workout and not worry what others are doing unless they are causing issues directly to you.
    He was saying it in a psycho way.
    I don't think this is normal behaviour, I've been to gym before and never seen this and my friends seem to think he is disturbed.
  • Options

If this unnerves you I dont think you are going to be comfortable at a gym. The grunting, posing, self motivating grumbler guy seems like a certain percentage of weight lifting guys.
    I don't think pretending to be in a fight with someone not in the room is being at a gym.
  • Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    edited February 2017

I don't think pretending to be in a fight with someone not in the room is being at a gym.
    We all have our outlets. I don't speak or make noises in the gym while lifting but I know I have an angry face in while there. I use the gym to keep my temperament balanced. It is an outlet for different emotions and a way to turn those emotions into something positive in my life. A way to keep myself at peace with my life. I don't condone him disturbing others at the gym but you shouldn't persecute him because you just don't want to ignore him. 10C is a therapy place for a lot us. It wouldn't be right for someone to persecute you here because you chose to experience things differently than they chose and use it for different things. Just like on the boards, people should participate where they want and ignore the rest. If the guy comes up and engages you again that is different. He may be weird, but that doesn't mean people should try and get him kicked out of the place.
    Post edited by Amongst the Ani on
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options

We all have our outlets. I don't speak or make noises in the gym while lifting but I know I have an angry face in while there. I use the gym to keep my temperament balanced. It is an outlet for different emotions and a way to turn those emotions into something positive in my life. A way to keep myself at peace with my life. I don't condone him disturbing others at the gym but you shouldn't persecute him because you just don't want to ignore him. 10C is a therapy place for a lot us. It wouldn't be right for someone to persecute you here because you chose to experience things differently than they chose and use it for different things. Just like on the boards, people should participate where they want and ignore the rest. If the guy comes up and engages you again that is different. He may be weird, but that doesn't mean people should try and get him kicked out of the place.
    That is why I didn't report him, whilst his behaviour in talking to an imaginary person is disturbing, he wasn't bothering anyone.
    But when he gets close to me in an empty room of machines that is something else.
  • Options
    So the wierd guy is the one talking to himself? Or the one who spends two weeks obsessing over the guy who talks to himself?
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
This discussion has been closed.