Should Betsy DeVos be confirmed as Secretary of Education?

Comments

• FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    No
    unsung said:

Boom!

HR899 has just been introduced to eliminated the Federal Dept of Education!

The Bill is one sentence long.

There, no Dept, no jobs for Betsy. Happy?

unsung said:

Boom!

Clearly again, you have no kids in public schools. And you have no developmentally disabled kids in public schools. We have federally mandated programs that allow them a fair treatment and education (FAPE, IDEA). That DeVos knows nothing about. But that's OK because she's gonna be busy funneling money from public school funding to her private charter schools that are failing, because there are no regulations. Why not? She's making out big-time here Financially, and that's all she and her family care about.

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,250
    Can you imagine if you walked into bank job interview and the 1st ? Is ..
    Do you have any experience working for a bank and you stated no I just use the ATM machines !
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    No

No

unsung said:
    I am inclinded to call bullshit.
    The Post is a tabloid. I'm actually against teachers unions. There is no need for teachers to have a union anymore, and I still call bullshit.
    Free said:

Thank you thank you ! I hope voters take into account this info ...
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,576
    No
    Free said:

unsung said:

Boom!

unsung said:

Boom!

Clearly again, you have no kids in public schools. And you have no developmentally disabled kids in public schools. We have federally mandated programs that allow them a fair treatment and education (FAPE, IDEA). That DeVos knows nothing about. But that's OK because she's gonna be busy funneling money from public school funding to her private charter schools that are failing, because there are no regulations. Why not? She's making out big-time here Financially, and that's all she and her family care about.

Good luck getting a rational response to this.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    No
    unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

Jesus will be coming to a public school near you!

In what way?
    If you know any Christian fundamentalists, they have been quietly excited about trump being president, and of course many voted for him. They're excited, not because they see him as some sort of religious guy, but because they see his policies as a way of facilitating some sort of Christian uprising and God being able to make a presence on earth like never before. It's hard to describe as an outsider, and the fundamentalists are intentionally vague about it, but they are definately excited. It ties into trump's isolationalism and anti- globalism, and also less federal gov involvement in local/state affairs. They see these things as an enemy to their religion somehow. They are also strongly anti-Muslim. They see local control of schools as opening the door to having Christianity in the classroom and will push this through different "religious freedom" policies. You'll see much more of this being pushed very soon. Pence is totally on board with this stuff, and he's the fundamentalist main guy.

It's hard to watch individuals who believe this talk about it, because they're very passive aggressive. They claim to filled with the love of Jesus, but they're full bore buying into fear oriented beliefs where they're engaged in some mythological struggle of Christianity against everything else. They'll support policies that discriminate and will limit others freedoms because they think they're entitled by God. At the same time, they think they're doing good.
    Well it seems like a far fetched chance that would happen, at least to me. But I could get on board with keeping religion out of public education. But only if it was all religion, not just Christianity.
    I hope it's far fetched, but I'm guessing first up will be school sanctioned "prayer time", incorporating creationism in the curriculum, and Bible based values and mission statements for schools. The fundamentalist have been preparing and waiting for this. They see it as their prayers being answered. And hey, you can't be wrong if God is on your side!
    Well I am not touching the God on side thing but I believe there should be a separation, but it must be for all religions. You can pray, you just can't do it on school property. I would be against teaching of any religion and that includes Islam. Nothing allowed on any of it.
    you think you shouldn't be allowed to pray on school property? so anyone deep in thought could be accused and expelled?

I have no issue with teaching the history of religion, but not religion itself.
    So thinking is now religious?
    no, my point was, how do you know if someone is praying on school property? not everyone that prays has the palms of their hands together in front of their face.
    Maybe you are right, after seeing some of the products out of public education lately cleary thinking is already banned.

Use your head, clearly someone sitting somewhere quietly and is not dusturbing anyone isn't a threat. Obvious actions are exactly that. I am sure the ACLU will take up the first case of someone not being allowed to roll out their rug all the while shitting on the guy carrying a Bible.

Or do you prefer government develop some sort of brain scanner to ensure pure, unreligious thought?

Your argument implies educators are incapable of discretion nor capable of making a decison.
    use MY head? YOU stated you wanted the act of prayer abolished on school grounds. I asked a perfectly sound question, addressing the obvious flaws, not only in principle, but in enforcement.

who the fuck is shitting on a guy walking around with a bible? it's very simple: don't teach religion, but practice it yourself wherever the fuck you want. I'm not sure what's so problematic about that.

basically your prayer in schools stance is the exact same as trump's travel ban. no muslim praying disguised as equal ban for all.

and to your last question: where did I advocate for no religious thought? that was actually your idea. at least no on school grounds, anyway.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited February 2017
    No

Do you have any experience working for a bank and you stated no I just use the ATM machines !

It really was never a question about qualification. She paid each and every Republican senator for their vote and that was after giving Trump $200 million.
    Free said:

It really was never a question about qualification. She paid each and every Republican senator for their vote and that was after giving Trump $200 million.
    No doubt still shocking that they can turn a blind eye on this issue and you know damn well everyone of those senators kids are not in public schools!
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Free said:

unsung said:
    The Post is a tabloid. I'm actually against teachers unions. There is no need for teachers to have a union anymore, and I still call bullshit.
    every worker in a capitalist system has a need to be in a union.... you think teachers cant be exploited? you think their jobs cant be put at risk or held to ransom? you think the higher ups always have their best interests, and those of the students in mind??? if you have a boss, then you should have access to a union to protect your rights.

hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    No
    After confirmation, GOP Congressman filed legislation showing the real reason they backed DeVos

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2017/2/7/1631088/-After-confirmation-GOP-Congressman-filed-legislation-showing-the-real-reason-they-backed-DeVos

"She’s not there to manage the Department of Education, she’s there to dismantle it:

On the same day the Senate confirmed President Trump’s secretary of Education pick by a historically narrow margin, a House Republican introduced legislation to abolish the entire department Betsy DeVos will lead.

Kentucky Rep. Thomas Massie’s bill is only a page long, after merely stating the Department of Education would terminate on Dec. 31, 2018.

Massie believes that policymakers at the state and local levels should be responsible for education policy, instead of a federal agency that’s been in place since 1980.
    They’ll be able to slice and dice, selling off our public schools under the guise of “state control.” Now that public school funding can be used to create a network of new Christian schools and, as Betsy Devos says, “advance the kingdom of God.” From Mother Jones:

Asked whether Christian schools should continue to rely on giving—rather than pushing for taxpayer money through vouchers—Betsy DeVos replied, "There are not enough philanthropic dollars in America to fund what is currently the need in education...Our desire is to confront the culture in ways that will continue to advance God's kingdom."

Added Dick DeVos: "As we look at many communities in our country, the church has been displaced by the public school as the center for activity...[I]t is certainly our hope that more and more churches will get more and more active and engaged in education."

So long separation of church and state. It was nice while it lasted, but the American Taliban is in charge now.

Folks, we might not have won the battle on Betsy DeVos, but stay focused and get ready to fight like hell. The war for public education is just getting started.
    edited February 2017
    No

Free said:

unsung said:
    every worker in a capitalist system has a need to be in a union.... you think teachers cant be exploited? you think their jobs cant be put at risk or held to ransom? you think the higher ups always have their best interests, and those of the students in mind??? if you have a boss, then you should have access to a union to protect your rights.

Do you know American history and the history of the teachers' union? Please do tell us all the specifics...

But I digress, there are other threads for that topic. But just to let you know, teachers unions do NOT have the students in mind at all. They only have the teachers in mind and they are protected.
    Post edited by Free on
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    No
    Free said:

unsung said:

Boom!

unsung said:

Boom!

Wasting your time with this spot-on post.
    Unsung is an Ayn Rander. That's just a step away from euthanasia for the disabled.
    We can't take care of those who can't take care of themselves, that would make us dirty pinko commies!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Can anybody tell me a few reasons why this person qualifies for this position?
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,924
    unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

In what way?
    If you know any Christian fundamentalists, they have been quietly excited about trump being president, and of course many voted for him. They're excited, not because they see him as some sort of religious guy, but because they see his policies as a way of facilitating some sort of Christian uprising and God being able to make a presence on earth like never before. It's hard to describe as an outsider, and the fundamentalists are intentionally vague about it, but they are definately excited. It ties into trump's isolationalism and anti- globalism, and also less federal gov involvement in local/state affairs. They see these things as an enemy to their religion somehow. They are also strongly anti-Muslim. They see local control of schools as opening the door to having Christianity in the classroom and will push this through different "religious freedom" policies. You'll see much more of this being pushed very soon. Pence is totally on board with this stuff, and he's the fundamentalist main guy.

It's hard to watch individuals who believe this talk about it, because they're very passive aggressive. They claim to filled with the love of Jesus, but they're full bore buying into fear oriented beliefs where they're engaged in some mythological struggle of Christianity against everything else. They'll support policies that discriminate and will limit others freedoms because they think they're entitled by God. At the same time, they think they're doing good.
    Well it seems like a far fetched chance that would happen, at least to me. But I could get on board with keeping religion out of public education. But only if it was all religion, not just Christianity.
    I hope it's far fetched, but I'm guessing first up will be school sanctioned "prayer time", incorporating creationism in the curriculum, and Bible based values and mission statements for schools. The fundamentalist have been preparing and waiting for this. They see it as their prayers being answered. And hey, you can't be wrong if God is on your side!
    Well I am not touching the God on side thing but I believe there should be a separation, but it must be for all religions. You can pray, you just can't do it on school property. I would be against teaching of any religion and that includes Islam. Nothing allowed on any of it.
    unsung, have you ever studied any religions? As an atheist at a Jewish day school, I found it fascinating even though I disagreed with much/most of what I was taught. I would never in a million years condone the way it was taught to me, but later in life I found other opportunities to learn about religions that opened my mind to the place that many base their concepts of morality on.

Not only do I think that teaching of religion is a positive thing, but I think encouraging students to study a religion that isn't their own would be an immensely effective way to teach empathy and combat divisiveness.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,758
    my2hands said:

I know there are some people in here that work in the education field, I know at least 1 is a teacher. First I would like to thank you, you are appreciated.

What ate your thoughts on Devos?

Thanks for asking. I have mixed feelings.

I don't support the use of federal money for private vouchers without holding those private institutions accountable to the same federal mandates. Besides not liking billionaires who buy their Cabinet appointments, that's my only issue with her.

Overall I do agree with her in supporting local control of school decision making, even if that means the kids in Montana can bring their guns to school to kill grizzlies. Who am I to question from afar what they want for their kids and community? What the hell do we think the best private schools in America do? The best ones are the best because the teachers themselves write the curriculum, and they answer to their own board of directors in allocating their resources.

As for all the IDEA hysteria -- talk about gross over-regulation paralyzing the productivity of the workforce-- translate -- keeping good teachers from helping kids. Honestly, I don't even refer kids to special ed anymore. If I suspect a kid has a learning disability, I help the kid on my own and leave the fucking federal government out of it. I haven't seen a single special educator do anything special that I can't do myself to help an LD child learn. IDEA is a joke in so many ways, but I'll leave it there. I don't want my post to be mile long

So, as with every other cabinet member, we'll just have to watch and see. Ironically, I've just about had it with public education myself, so when DeVos says it sucks -- she's right. I'm so sick of being told to do shit that at best, does not help students, and at worst, actually harms them. If we're lucky, she will shake things up for the better.
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,565

my2hands said:

I know there are some people in here that work in the education field, I know at least 1 is a teacher. First I would like to thank you, you are appreciated.

Thanks for asking. I have mixed feelings.

I don't support the use of federal money for private vouchers without holding those private institutions accountable to the same federal mandates. Besides not liking billionaires who buy their Cabinet appointments, that's my only issue with her.

Overall I do agree with her in supporting local control of school decision making, even if that means the kids in Montana can bring their guns to school to kill grizzlies. Who am I to question from afar what they want for their kids and community? What the hell do we think the best private schools in America do? The best ones are the best because the teachers themselves write the curriculum, and they answer to their own board of directors in allocating their resources.

As for all the IDEA hysteria -- talk about gross over-regulation paralyzing the productivity of the workforce-- translate -- keeping good teachers from helping kids. Honestly, I don't even refer kids to special ed anymore. If I suspect a kid has a learning disability, I help the kid on my own and leave the fucking federal government out of it. I haven't seen a single special educator do anything special that I can't do myself to help an LD child learn. IDEA is a joke in so many ways, but I'll leave it there. I don't want my post to be mile long

So, as with every other cabinet member, we'll just have to watch and see. Ironically, I've just about had it with public education myself, so when DeVos says it sucks -- she's right. I'm so sick of being told to do shit that at best, does not help students, and at worst, actually harms them. If we're lucky, she will shake things up for the better.
    If anything is left from Obama's legacy, it's the hope part of hope and change. Mostly we have hope with trump at this point, some holding out longer than others.
    edited February 2017
    Am I the only one who sees the resemblance?

'05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,758
    Free said:

Free said:

unsung said:

Do you know American history and the history of the teachers' union? Please do tell us all the specifics...

But I digress, there are other threads for that topic. But just to let you know, teachers unions do NOT have the students in mind at all. They only have the teachers in mind and they are protected.
    Yes, teacher unions were founded to protect a largely female workforce from being fired if they got married and pregnant, for example.
  • benjs said:

benjs, man
    You have gone from novel posting to memes to articulate your thoughts.
    Which one are you?
    That saying "If you can't beat em join em" is overused and sad!
    Don't go meme!

benjs said:

benjs, man
    You have gone from novel posting to memes to articulate your thoughts.
    Which one are you?
    That saying "If you can't beat em join em" is overused and sad!
    Don't go meme!

Huh? I reposted the picture with the Who in it because it made me laugh seeing a resemblance between those two. Thought someone else might've gotten a chuckle out of it; I didn't really care about the content. I should've just looked up a caption-free picture though, you're right.

EV
    benjs said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

In what way?

unsung, have you ever studied any religions? As an atheist at a Jewish day school, I found it fascinating even though I disagreed with much/most of what I was taught. I would never in a million years condone the way it was taught to me, but later in life I found other opportunities to learn about religions that opened my mind to the place that many base their concepts of morality on.

Not only do I think that teaching of religion is a positive thing, but I think encouraging students to study a religion that isn't their own would be an immensely effective way to teach empathy and combat divisiveness.
    Yes.

I just don't want it taught in school.
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    my2hands said:

Can anybody tell me a few reasons why this person qualifies for this position?

• vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
    No
    benjs said:

hahah...i see it. what's even funnier is thought of benjs having a sense of humor.
    vaggar99 said:

benjs said:

hahah...i see it. what's even funnier is thought of benjs having a sense of humor.

:) I may not show it here enough, but I'm still human - I love to laugh. Saw Louis CK last week with my girlfriend and we were both in stitches.

EV
  • riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892
    No
    As a public school teacher, I don't disagree with the thought that education in this country needs an overhaul. But, why do we continue to consult the very people making money off the system? Lack of technology, lack of basic supplies, overcrowded classrooms and schools as profit centers. These are just some of the reforms that need to be made. I agree with what someone else said about helping kids with disabilities (some, not all) on my own IF I had the time to devote to them. My son has language and auditory processing disorders and needs more time than his teachers can devote to him. Luckily for us, we can afford outside SLP's and tutors to help but what about other kids who aren't so lucky? When do we start putting the kids first instead of the corporations? This is a huge problem with DeVos is that she and her cronies all will benefit from the push for charter schools. Most charter schools go into urban areas and are touted as a cure all because of choice. Well, I live in Louisville, a city of about 750,000, not small but not huge by an means, and my daughter has the choice of 18 public high schools and about 10 private/parochial high schools. How much more 'choice' will fix the problem? Consult the teachers about how to fix education. Lastly, the problem isn't teachers nor teachers unions it is the people profiting off of the schools (hello, Pearson I'm looking at you). People vilify the unions without acknowledging that bad workers remain in positions in all industries even the non-unionized ones primarily because managers are too lazy to document instances that would get someone fired. It's called due process and the last time I looked that was a constitutional right, why do we want to take that away?
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,825
    No

my2hands said:

Well, not to get into a huge debate about special ed and it's effectiveness, but not referring students who you believe have a disability is going directly against child find. You could easily be opening yourself up to a lawsuit. You may be keeping the student from getting accommodations and protections that they need to learn and grow at the same rate as other "normal" students. There's a lot more to it than just going to see a special ed teacher, which I hope you know.

I think it's awesome you are going above and beyond to help students who you think might have a disability, most don't, I wish more would. But it might be worth having a discussion with your school psychologist or director of special ed about your process.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?