Should Betsy DeVos be confirmed as Secretary of Education?

Comments

• Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,565
    Jesus will be coming to a public school near you!
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    No

can't wait. a jesus fish for every locker! no christian left behind! the next generation being taught that the earth is only 6000 years old! Yay!
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Free said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

Then ignore it and don't whine.

Do you wake up with headaches every morning from being so round-the-clock miserable?

I wake up everyday with the mission to improve my life, it is working well. I smile a lot, so should you.

I will continue to come here trying to show all of you that less is more.

It is tough, but we will get there.
    But clearly... you could care less about kids in public schools.
    In reality getting the federal government out of this and letting teachers actually use their skills to teach will give students a better chance of success.
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Free said:

Lol, billionaire. That is considered a bad thing???
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    No teaching experience and no experience actually working in an educational setting? No education degree? And she is in charge of the national school system? LOL

I'm glad she got through... she'll be a disaster that these morons will have to own.

How many days until the midterm election?

In what way?
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,119
    The pendulum swings.
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    mcgruff10 said:

my2hands said:

unsung said:

Who's whining? Is that the new right wing word of the week? Lol

I think educators are working class heroes that should be applauded, and I just happen to value their opinion on this. That is why I asked specifically for their feedback.
    My wife and I are educators and absolutely hate this pick. She has zero experience in public school; a lot of people are really afraid of what she is going to do.
    this is why we do not like her as a candidate:
    "A Michigan billionaire and major Republican donor, she has spent three decades using her wealth and political clout to advocate for alternatives to public schools, particularly taxpayer-funded vouchers to help parents pay tuition for private and religious schools. She also has advocated for a loosely regulated variety of charter schools."
    I appreciate you and you're wifes contributions to society brother, im sure you guys are great teachers. thank you.
    edited February 2017
    Boom!

HR899 has just been introduced to eliminated the Federal Dept of Education!

The Bill is one sentence long.

There, no Dept, no jobs for Betsy. Happy?
    Post edited by unsung on
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,722
    No
    my2hands said:

mcgruff10 said:

my2hands said:

unsung said:

Who's whining? Is that the new right wing word of the week? Lol

I think educators are working class heroes that should be applauded, and I just happen to value their opinion on this. That is why I asked specifically for their feedback.
    My wife and I are educators and absolutely hate this pick. She has zero experience in public school; a lot of people are really afraid of what she is going to do.
    this is why we do not like her as a candidate:
    "A Michigan billionaire and major Republican donor, she has spent three decades using her wealth and political clout to advocate for alternatives to public schools, particularly taxpayer-funded vouchers to help parents pay tuition for private and religious schools. She also has advocated for a loosely regulated variety of charter schools."
    I appreciate you and you're wifes contributions to society brother, im sure you guys are great teachers. thank you.
    Thanks bud!!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • cottagesteezecottagesteeze St. Paul, MN Posts: 218
    No
    unsung said:

Boom!

HR899 has just been introduced to eliminated the Federal Dept of Education!

The Bill is one sentence long.

There, no Dept, no jobs for Betsy. Happy?

No, not at all. Some of us like education..
    unsung said:

In what way?
    If you know any Christian fundamentalists, they have been quietly excited about trump being president, and of course many voted for him. They're excited, not because they see him as some sort of religious guy, but because they see his policies as a way of facilitating some sort of Christian uprising and God being able to make a presence on earth like never before. It's hard to describe as an outsider, and the fundamentalists are intentionally vague about it, but they are definately excited. It ties into trump's isolationalism and anti- globalism, and also less federal gov involvement in local/state affairs. They see these things as an enemy to their religion somehow. They are also strongly anti-Muslim. They see local control of schools as opening the door to having Christianity in the classroom and will push this through different "religious freedom" policies. You'll see much more of this being pushed very soon. Pence is totally on board with this stuff, and he's the fundamentalist main guy.

It's hard to watch individuals who believe this talk about it, because they're very passive aggressive. They claim to filled with the love of Jesus, but they're full bore buying into fear oriented beliefs where they're engaged in some mythological struggle of Christianity against everything else. They'll support policies that discriminate and will limit others freedoms because they think they're entitled by God. At the same time, they think they're doing good.

unsung said:

In what way?
    If you know any Christian fundamentalists, they have been quietly excited about trump being president, and of course many voted for him. They're excited, not because they see him as some sort of religious guy, but because they see his policies as a way of facilitating some sort of Christian uprising and God being able to make a presence on earth like never before. It's hard to describe as an outsider, and the fundamentalists are intentionally vague about it, but they are definately excited. It ties into trump's isolationalism and anti- globalism, and also less federal gov involvement in local/state affairs. They see these things as an enemy to their religion somehow. They are also strongly anti-Muslim. They see local control of schools as opening the door to having Christianity in the classroom and will push this through different "religious freedom" policies. You'll see much more of this being pushed very soon. Pence is totally on board with this stuff, and he's the fundamentalist main guy.

It's hard to watch individuals who believe this talk about it, because they're very passive aggressive. They claim to filled with the love of Jesus, but they're full bore buying into fear oriented beliefs where they're engaged in some mythological struggle of Christianity against everything else. They'll support policies that discriminate and will limit others freedoms because they think they're entitled by God. At the same time, they think they're doing good.
    Well it seems like a far fetched chance that would happen, at least to me. But I could get on board with keeping religion out of public education. But only if it was all religion, not just Christianity.
    unsung said:

unsung said:

In what way?

Well it seems like a far fetched chance that would happen, at least to me. But I could get on board with keeping religion out of public education. But only if it was all religion, not just Christianity.
    I hope it's far fetched, but I'm guessing first up will be school sanctioned "prayer time", incorporating creationism in the curriculum, and Bible based values and mission statements for schools. The fundamentalist have been preparing and waiting for this. They see it as their prayers being answered. And hey, you can't be wrong if God is on your side!
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,818
    Religion, all religions, should not be the base or the reference point for public education. However, it's completely permissible to teach about religions, as long as you don't bias it for or against any particular religion.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    No
    unsung said:
    I am inclinded to call bullshit.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

unsung said:

unsung said:

In what way?

I hope it's far fetched, but I'm guessing first up will be school sanctioned "prayer time", incorporating creationism in the curriculum, and Bible based values and mission statements for schools. The fundamentalist have been preparing and waiting for this. They see it as their prayers being answered. And hey, you can't be wrong if God is on your side!
    Well I am not touching the God on side thing but I believe there should be a separation, but it must be for all religions. You can pray, you just can't do it on school property. I would be against teaching of any religion and that includes Islam. Nothing allowed on any of it.

Religion, all religions, should not be the base or the reference point for public education. However, it's completely permissible to teach about religions, as long as you don't bias it for or against any particular religion.

Good luck with that.
    No
    unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

In what way?

Well I am not touching the God on side thing but I believe there should be a separation, but it must be for all religions. You can pray, you just can't do it on school property. I would be against teaching of any religion and that includes Islam. Nothing allowed on any of it.
    you think you shouldn't be allowed to pray on school property? so anyone deep in thought could be accused and expelled?

I have no issue with teaching the history of religion, but not religion itself.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,825
    No
    School Psych here
    Let's do this simply
    1. your tax dollars go to pay for public education, which have standards (no common core isn't perfect but it's what we've got)
    2. with school choice "vouchers" whatever, you can pick whatever school you want, and take your funding with you
    3. these private school have no standards, can hire anyone and pay them nothing, can teach religion (church / state anyone?) and provide no protection for students, especially those with disabilities. For example your kid has autism, sorry we aren't taking them. Your kid pissed off the wrong teacher, gone. Your kid needs extra help? an IEP? tough
    4. When these kids take their funding to go to these private schools the public schools then have less resources to educate, which will end up being mostly students with disabilities who need the most resources.

That's very short but hopefully makes some people think
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

In what way?

you think you shouldn't be allowed to pray on school property? so anyone deep in thought could be accused and expelled?

So thinking is now religious?
    No
    unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

In what way?

no, my point was, how do you know if someone is praying on school property? not everyone that prays has the palms of their hands together in front of their face.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,250

unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

In what way?

no, my point was, how do you know if someone is praying on school property? not everyone that prays has the palms of their hands together in front of their face.
    Exactly I don't need a church for me to pray or have to be on my knees , I pray all the time when I'm walking thru a forest or swimming or walking on the beach !
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    edited February 2017

unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

In what way?

Maybe you are right, after seeing some of the products out of public education lately cleary thinking is already banned.

Use your head, clearly someone sitting somewhere quietly and is not dusturbing anyone isn't a threat. Obvious actions are exactly that. I am sure the ACLU will take up the first case of someone not being allowed to roll out their rug all the while shitting on the guy carrying a Bible.

Or do you prefer government develop some sort of brain scanner to ensure pure, unreligious thought?

Your argument implies educators are incapable of discretion nor capable of making a decison.
    Post edited by unsung on
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,818
    unsung said:

Good luck with that.
    Seems to work fine where I live.

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    Yeah, an overhaul is definately required.
    unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

In what way?

Maybe you are right, after seeing some of the products out of public education lately cleary thinking is already banned.

Use your head, clearly someone sitting somewhere quietly and is not dusturbing anyone isn't a threat. Obvious actions are exactly that. I am sure the ACLU will take up the first case of someone not being allowed to roll out their rug all the while shitting on the guy carrying a Bible.

Or do you prefer government develop some sort of brain scanner to ensure pure, unreligious thought?

Your argument implies educators are incapable of discretion nor capable of making a decison.
    Your stance suggests some sort of Christian victimization is happening. Be careful, you're who they want on their side. My point earlier was about school sanctioned prayer. I can see schools trying to get that going.
  • No
    unsung said:

Yeah, an overhaul is definately required.

Shehas no education experience apparently... She can run for chairperson!