Ohio State attack

Comments

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,017
    CM189191 said:

mace1229 said:

CM189191 said:

mace1229 said:

I generally have no interest in social media, but found myself addicted to AMT the last few months. The number of pathetic posts on this thread and many others is a perfect example of the endless entertainment the AMT provides.
    There are comments that this was Karma for voting for Trump (and his supporters are the deplorables?), to cops shooting someone stabbing 11 people is a militarized state to he'd be alive if he was white.
    Really? Can anyone please find me anything about some white dude who stabbed a dozen people and the police didn't shoot him? That is so ridiculous, which is why it is so difficult to take many of the comments on the police abuse threads with mentalities like that one seriously.
    He was shot because he stabbed 11 people, how is that so difficult to fathom? Not because of his race, religion, sexual preference or any other reason anyone can come up with. its simple, you go around stabbing people you'll get shot-even in other countries too believe it or not.

lmgtfy
    WHY DO AMERICAN COPS KILL MORE PEOPLE THAN IN OTHER COUNTRIES?

By the numbers: US police kill more in days than other countries do in years

Police in the US Kill Citizens at Over 70 Times the Rate of Other First-World Nations
    which includes this gem: "China, whose population is 4 and 1/2 times the size of the United States, recorded 12 killings by law enforcement officers in 2014. Let that sink in. Law enforcement in the US killed 92 times more people than a country with nearly 1.4 billion people. "

Comparison of United States incarceration rate with other countries
    The United States has the largest prison population in the world, and the second-highest per-capita incarceration rate

.....so yeah, I'm sticking with militarized police state....
    There may be arguments to that case. I may disagree with most of them, but I would at least there is some logic behind some other arguments. But a cop shooting someone who is trying to kill a dozen people is not one of them. Using this as an exmple of a military state is in my view ridiculous.
    What do you suggest the police do, watch and let him keep killing until he gets tired? Tackle him so they can get stabbed and then he can keep on killing? Really, what would be a better solution to stopping someone who is clearly trying to kill and injure many people?
    If it was only your life on the line then you'd have the right to criticize those tactics. But how brave of you to risk the lives of dozens of others when clearly many more innocent people would have been injured and in all likelihood killed so that we can stop some homicidal maniac in a peaceful manner.
    I would think it might ask the questions:
    Do other countries have less stabbings?
    Less violent crime?
    How are foreign police able to enforce the law without shooting and killing?
    Are the rules of engagement different? The weaponry? The training? The ability to prosecute wrongful deaths?
    Why is it so easy for police to kill here?
    I think those are valid questions. And many countries do have less crime. Which is why they can police without shooting people, because they experience fewer scenarios where shootings would be justified, not that they can control some knife-wielding maniac, but there are fewer knife-wielding maniacs to begin with. I don't think it has anything to do with the policing.

Has to do with education, opportunities kids have to get trade skills and overcome the poverty they were born into just to name 1 or 2, but there's a lot of reasons. I would think almost none to do with the police themselves.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,253
    Free said:

How Fake News Spreads — Corporate Media Spread Story of ‘Active Shooter’ During a Knife Attack

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/how-fake-news-spreads-corporate-media-shooter-knife-attack/#HE76t0VhbS58P06H.99

They weren't spreading fake news. The initial reports were of people hearing shots fired and the university issuing the campus alert. No one knew it was the officer's shots that had been heard against a knife wielding suspect besides the few who witnessed it. Based on the information at hand, it was reported that way.

As someone who works at College, I was following it closely as reports came in. Anyone who thinks breaking news is 100% accurate is naive. There are media outlets looking to sensationalize news, but not all of them are bad as we keep hearing from Trump. Haven't we learned that using broad overarching stereotypes isn't an accurate gauge of a whole group yet?

The officer is a hero and saved countless lives. This has nothing to do with race or police brutality. Not every incident needs to invoke some sort of scrutiny about police response when deadly force is used.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    CM189191 said:

mace1229 said:

CM189191 said:

mace1229 said:

I generally have no interest in social media, but found myself addicted to AMT the last few months. The number of pathetic posts on this thread and many others is a perfect example of the endless entertainment the AMT provides.
    There are comments that this was Karma for voting for Trump (and his supporters are the deplorables?), to cops shooting someone stabbing 11 people is a militarized state to he'd be alive if he was white.
    Really? Can anyone please find me anything about some white dude who stabbed a dozen people and the police didn't shoot him? That is so ridiculous, which is why it is so difficult to take many of the comments on the police abuse threads with mentalities like that one seriously.
    He was shot because he stabbed 11 people, how is that so difficult to fathom? Not because of his race, religion, sexual preference or any other reason anyone can come up with. its simple, you go around stabbing people you'll get shot-even in other countries too believe it or not.

lmgtfy
    WHY DO AMERICAN COPS KILL MORE PEOPLE THAN IN OTHER COUNTRIES?

By the numbers: US police kill more in days than other countries do in years

Police in the US Kill Citizens at Over 70 Times the Rate of Other First-World Nations
    which includes this gem: "China, whose population is 4 and 1/2 times the size of the United States, recorded 12 killings by law enforcement officers in 2014. Let that sink in. Law enforcement in the US killed 92 times more people than a country with nearly 1.4 billion people. "

Comparison of United States incarceration rate with other countries
    The United States has the largest prison population in the world, and the second-highest per-capita incarceration rate

.....so yeah, I'm sticking with militarized police state....
    There may be arguments to that case. I may disagree with most of them, but I would at least there is some logic behind some other arguments. But a cop shooting someone who is trying to kill a dozen people is not one of them. Using this as an exmple of a military state is in my view ridiculous.
    What do you suggest the police do, watch and let him keep killing until he gets tired? Tackle him so they can get stabbed and then he can keep on killing? Really, what would be a better solution to stopping someone who is clearly trying to kill and injure many people?
    If it was only your life on the line then you'd have the right to criticize those tactics. But how brave of you to risk the lives of dozens of others when clearly many more innocent people would have been injured and in all likelihood killed so that we can stop some homicidal maniac in a peaceful manner.
    I would think it might ask the questions:
    Do other countries have less stabbings?
    Less violent crime?
    How are foreign police able to enforce the law without shooting and killing?
    Are the rules of engagement different? The weaponry? The training? The ability to prosecute wrongful deaths?
    Why is it so easy for police to kill here?
    More access to guns and ownership. Police must be armed because of that alone. If we want less deadly force and officer involved shootings, we'd have to reduce the guns in our country. Until then, we will have armed police who use deadly force and it will not always be the right decision when reviewed in hindsight. I don't like it, but until we change the mentality around guns, it's not going to get any better.
    Post edited by tbergs on
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,912
    Free said:

How Fake News Spreads — Corporate Media Spread Story of ‘Active Shooter’ During a Knife Attack

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/how-fake-news-spreads-corporate-media-shooter-knife-attack/#HE76t0VhbS58P06H.99

initial 911 call states shooter. OSU emergency texts state active shooter. in watching local tv coverage live, it was difficult for them to get updated accurate info. after perp was killed they continued searching for a possible 2nd actor. 2 adjacent school districts also went on lockdown.

none of what was reported was "fake".

to my understanding "fake" is completely made up shit. as opposed to bad or inaccurate facts.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

Free said:

initial 911 call states shooter. OSU emergency texts state active shooter. in watching local tv coverage live, it was difficult for them to get updated accurate info. after perp was killed they continued searching for a possible 2nd actor. 2 adjacent school districts also went on lockdown.

none of what was reported was "fake".

to my understanding "fake" is completely made up shit. as opposed to bad or inaccurate facts.
    Exactly. Let's quit with the fake media anthem. It's getting ridiculous and people need to understand that the majority aren't running fake stories, but we've got a president elect spewing lies and garbage left and right which should be the real focus.
  • Options
    The fake news is typically read and believed by trump thumpers on facebook after they've gotten their Breitbart fill.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499

The fake news is typically read and believed by trump thumpers on facebook after they've gotten their Breitbart fill.

And by radlibs that got their "occupy democrats" fill...
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

Not true at all. It's been documented by several of the "fake news" authors that they started writing on a pro lib platform, but the liberals weren't biting and there were no ads. As soon as they,started writing on a pro conservative platform, the advertisers flooded in. All it took was anot anti Clinton headline and the trump thumpers ate it up as fact and gospel.
  • Options
    edited November 2016

PJPOWER said:

Not true at all. It's been documented by several of the "fake news" authors that they started writing on a pro lib platform, but the liberals weren't biting and there were no ads. As soon as they,started writing on a pro conservative platform, the advertisers flooded in. All it took was anot anti Clinton headline and the trump thumpers ate it up as fact and gospel.
    Source? From a non-alt-left publication if you will.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    That just doesn't seem to be true. One guy talking to NPR didn't seem like a strong source to begin with. With about 5 minutes of searching fake news stories you can find just as many pro-Hilary/Anti-Trump stories out there, each with millions of views.
    The anti-Hilary fake stories did seem more drastic, involving murder or other serious claims though. But there were just as many liberal fake stories as well that were just as highly viewed and spread. And since those stories didn't involve some complicated murder plot were probably believed by far more. Most who read those ridiculous stories don't actually believe it. Some do obviously, but it seems like only an insignificantly small fraction of Trump supporters actually believe those ridiculous stories.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,912
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

That just doesn't seem to be true. One guy talking to NPR didn't seem like a strong source to begin with. With about 5 minutes of searching fake news stories you can find just as many pro-Hilary/Anti-Trump stories out there, each with millions of views.
    The anti-Hilary fake stories did seem more drastic, involving murder or other serious claims though. But there were just as many liberal fake stories as well that were just as highly viewed and spread. And since those stories didn't involve some complicated murder plot were probably believed by far more. Most who read those ridiculous stories don't actually believe it. Some do obviously, but it seems like only an insignificantly small fraction of Trump supporters actually believe those ridiculous stories.
    You asked for a source, I provided one. You just proved my point that the fake news against Hilary involving murder and treason is exactly the click bait advertisers look for because many trump supporters were believing everything g they read on facebook.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    mace1229 said:

What fake news has been spread on the left? I haven't seen any.
    I asked for some a while back and nobody showed any...
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options

mace1229 said:

You asked for a source, I provided one. You just proved my point that the fake news against Hilary involving murder and treason is exactly the click bait advertisers look for because many trump supporters were believing everything g they read on facebook.
    I wasn't the one that asked for it, but I was glad you provided one. But I think you missed my points.
    There are just as many fake pro-Hilary/anti-Trump ads, and they were viewed by hundreds of thousands and mullions.
    I admit they were not as drastic and didn't involve Trump killing anyone, but they existed.
    I haven't seen any indication that the average Trump supporter actually believed the outrageous fake stories (by Trump supporter I would be referring to anyone who voted for him, most of which didn't actually "support" him, just thought he was the better of 2 terrible candidates).

I haven't found evidence that only trump supporters believed fake stories. And as I pointed out, only very few extremist actually believe the very drastic ones. I'd read them for entertainment purposes, and maybe that's why the click count was high for the advertisers. Who hasn't? Before Soundgarden's reunion I remember sharing an article about what they are doing now and how Kim was a manager at a Cinnabon because I thought it was funny.

There has been tons of misinformation spread on both sides, in favor of both Trump and Hilary. And many of it has been repeated as fact, on both sides. It's easy to find pro-Hilary/Anti-Trump claims that were false.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

mace1229 said:

I wasn't the one that asked for it, but I was glad you provided one. But I think you missed my points.
    There are just as many fake pro-Hilary/anti-Trump ads, and they were viewed by hundreds of thousands and mullions.
    I admit they were not as drastic and didn't involve Trump killing anyone, but they existed.
    I haven't seen any indication that the average Trump supporter actually believed the outrageous fake stories (by Trump supporter I would be referring to anyone who voted for him, most of which didn't actually "support" him, just thought he was the better of 2 terrible candidates).

I haven't found evidence that only trump supporters believed fake stories. And as I pointed out, only very few extremist actually believe the very drastic ones. I'd read them for entertainment purposes, and maybe that's why the click count was high for the advertisers. Who hasn't? Before Soundgarden's reunion I remember sharing an article about what they are doing now and how Kim was a manager at a Cinnabon because I thought it was funny.

There has been tons of misinformation spread on both sides, in favor of both Trump and Hilary. And many of it has been repeated as fact, on both sides. It's easy to find pro-Hilary/Anti-Trump claims that were false.
    My apologies. I didnt notice that the other guy wasn't responding.

Yes, misinformation was spread by both sides. I have many facebook friends that would share stories and Facebook memes with obviously false information. When I would question any of them, they really thought it to be true. No matter how many articles I would cite stating otherwise. So im basing that off my small sample size. These are intelligent people that believe some crazy shit because they hated Clinton that much.
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793

CM189191 said:

Another black man summarily executed by an officer of the law. Judge and Jury be damned.

So?

What were you hoping for? Them to plea with him to calm down... take him for a coffee... maybe massage his shoulders for a while?

F**king useless prick is dead. Good.
    Can someone please explain to me why this "useless prick" is still alive?
    The Comet Ping Pong Gunman Answers Reporter’s Questions

What a gem this guy is:
    What did he think when he discovered there were no children at the pizzeria?
    “The intel on this wasn’t 100 percent,” he said. However, he refused to dismiss outright the claims in the online articles, conceding only that there were no children “inside that dwelling.”
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    CM189191 said:

CM189191 said:

Another black man summarily executed by an officer of the law. Judge and Jury be damned.

So?

What were you hoping for? Them to plea with him to calm down... take him for a coffee... maybe massage his shoulders for a while?

What a gem this guy is:
    “The intel on this wasn’t 100 percent,” he said. However, he refused to dismiss outright the claims in the online articles, conceding only that there were no children “inside that dwelling.”
    Well for one... he never killed anyone.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

CM189191 said:

CM189191 said:

So?

What a gem this guy is:
    Abdul Razak Ali Artan didn't kill anyone either
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    CM189191 said:

CM189191 said:

CM189191 said:

So?

What a gem this guy is:
    Are we talking about the same guy? Didn't he main a bunch of people with intent?

Didn't this simple bastard just kinda talk tuff?
  • Options

CM189191 said:

CM189191 said:

CM189191 said:

So?

What a gem this guy is:
    Are we talking about the same guy? Didn't he main a bunch of people with intent?

Are we talking about the same guy?
    I believe so:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Ohio_State_University_attack

Didn't he main a bunch of people with intent?
    Eleven of the injured were treated at area hospitals. None of the injuries were considered life-threatening.

Not really: The suspect entered the location and pointed a firearm in the direction of the victim who is an employee of the restaurant. The victim was able to flee and notify police. The suspect proceeded to discharge the rifle inside of the establishment. Members of the Second District responded and arrested the suspect without incident. Two firearms were recovered inside the location. An additional weapon was recovered from the suspect’s vehicle.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    CM189191 said:

CM189191 said:

CM189191 said:

CM189191 said:

So?

What a gem this guy is:

Are we talking about the same guy?
    I believe so:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Ohio_State_University_attack

Didn't he main a bunch of people with intent?
    Eleven of the injured were treated at area hospitals. None of the injuries were considered life-threatening.

Not really: The suspect entered the location and pointed a firearm in the direction of the victim who is an employee of the restaurant. The victim was able to flee and notify police. The suspect proceeded to discharge the rifle inside of the establishment. Members of the Second District responded and arrested the suspect without incident. Two firearms were recovered inside the location. An additional weapon was recovered from the suspect’s vehicle.
    That's the big difference. The simple bastard didn't fire AT anyone, and complied and surrendered when the police arrived. Razak Ali Artan was in the process of a mass assault with the potential of killing many people. He hit people with his vehicle, jumped out and started slashing. Thankfully the cop was able to put this guy down before he could further harm anyone or kill anyone.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    Ridiculous that one would have to point out the obvious different circumstances.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    The pizza idiot came out slowly with his hands up when police arrived.

The ohio state idiot was running around with a butcher knife trying to stab people.
  • Options

Ridiculous that one would have to point out the obvious different circumstances.

...tell me about it...
  • Options
    CM189191 said:

...tell me about it...
    You're out to lunch on this one.

I know you're dying to make this about race... but it's not. See JP's post above yours for the items you've failed to take into account.
  • Options
    Jason P said:

The ohio state idiot was running around with a butcher knife trying to stab people.

You're telling me he had his hands up, and they didn't shoot him? That doesn't sound like SOP. Why was he even given the opportunity to surrender himself?
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    edited December 2016
    The lunacy of the pizzagate story boggles my mind. That guy needs to be sent to Florida. Florida is where we need to build the wall.
  • Options
    CM189191 said:

Jason P said:

You're telling me he had his hands up, and they didn't shoot him? That doesn't sound like SOP. Why was he even given the opportunity to surrender himself?
    Was he actively trying to hurt people when the police arrived? You are really reaching here...
  • Options
    Jason P said:

The lunacy of the pizzagate story boggles my mind. That guy needs to be sent to Florida. Florida is where we need to build the wall.

or a moat