Options

Ohio State attack

Comments

• Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177

jeffbr said:

CM189191 said:

unsung said:

Well he has a point, it is called blowback. I wish the US would close every single base across the globe, stop all foreign aid, then let them solve their own problems.

This is how you end up with refugees.
    We end up with refugees anyway. Including the guy who is the topic of this thread.
    Saying "anyway" suggests the alternative presented has been tried so you can compare the two outcomes. I don't think the alternative has been tried.
    What alternative are you talking about? The suggestion was that withholding all foreign aid and closing military bases would lead to refugees. I said that refugees exist anyway. Perhaps I should have said already. The alternative is what we're currently doing. Foreign aid and military bases. Is there a different alternative you assume I was implying?
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,677
    jeffbr said:

jeffbr said:

CM189191 said:

unsung said:

Well he has a point, it is called blowback. I wish the US would close every single base across the globe, stop all foreign aid, then let them solve their own problems.

We end up with refugees anyway. Including the guy who is the topic of this thread.
    Saying "anyway" suggests the alternative presented has been tried so you can compare the two outcomes. I don't think the alternative has been tried.
    What alternative are you talking about? The suggestion was that withholding all foreign aid and closing military bases would lead to refugees. I said that refugees exist anyway. Perhaps I should have said already. The alternative is what we're currently doing. Foreign aid and military bases. Is there a different alternative you assume I was implying?
    I was emphasizing you saying anyway. We haven't cut foreign aid and closed military bases. Someone responded that if we did, we'd have more refugees. Do you think there would be more, or the amount would be the same?
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177

jeffbr said:

jeffbr said:

CM189191 said:

unsung said:

I was emphasizing you saying anyway. We haven't cut foreign aid and closed military bases. Someone responded that if we did, we'd have more refugees. Do you think there would be more, or the amount would be the same?
    Probably more. Quantity wasn't something that was being discussed until you just interjected it.
    So you are in favor of a continuation of our current role in the Middle East, then?
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    edited November 2016
    CM189191 said:

unsung said:

True to an extent. There are ways of stopping that too.

Besides, bombing these countries is creating the refugees.
    Post edited by unsung on
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,907
    unsung said:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/28/us/ohio-state-university-active-shooter/index.html

Not surprised it hasn't been mentioned but a good guy with a gun stopped a mass assault today.

Must have been another one of those "peaceful" somali muslims again.

yeah. campus police officer.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options

This will probably draw lots of nay-sayers, but I'll throw out there the possibility that this is related to an episode of psychosis. He is exactly the right age for a psychotic break, this is an odd sort of attack if it is primarily terror-related, and he isn't reported to have posted anything before hand or said anything during the attack.

my wife is a psych nurse. said many of his age are ripe for schizophrenic breaks. that when this occurs their delusions are far more horrific in nature. its compounded by the community or culture that help or medications isnt sought.

no way to tell from the morgue though.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,852

Okay, so I should probably sleep on this before I write, but what the hell.

My initial reaction to this news is utter shock and horror for the victims and the terror spread. It happened only just over an hour away from me. No wonder its been raining all day with dark skies, and it feels like someone killed Santa. I feel for my fellow Ohioans. I don't like to see people suffer. I even cheered them on against Michigan this past Saturday and that's the first college football game I've watched in years.

But, on a side note, karma is a bitch. If you had to drive past as many Trump signs as I have in the past year.....just sayin'. My heart goes out to em', but what goes around comes around. I think I'll just bite my tongue on this subject for now. I've already said too much, me thinks.

Saying the victims deserved this because of who your president elect is, is biting your tongue???

Yowza.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,315
    unsung said:

Yeah I agree I just don't ever see that happening ! As long as we support Israel ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Idiot.

• Options

My initial reaction to this news is utter shock and horror for the victims and the terror spread. It happened only just over an hour away from me. No wonder its been raining all day with dark skies, and it feels like someone killed Santa. I feel for my fellow Ohioans. I don't like to see people suffer. I even cheered them on against Michigan this past Saturday and that's the first college football game I've watched in years.

But, on a side note, karma is a bitch. If you had to drive past as many Trump signs as I have in the past year.....just sayin'. My heart goes out to em', but what goes around comes around. I think I'll just bite my tongue on this subject for now. I've already said too much, me thinks.

Saying the victims deserved this because of who your president elect is, is biting your tongue???

Yowza.

Of course they didn't deserve it. Only Hitler and company deserves something like that. Hate and terror are never the answer to anything. It is sad this young man thought this was the only way to express his frustrations with the world. He definitely made a statement in an important location, but lives should never be taken or injured in order to do that. Of course, some of the war-happy Republicans will say that so many people died for our country in a traditional war-form, yet they won't ever acknowledge some of those from ISIS dying for the causes they believe in. Many of them just see it as terror and chaos, yet they aren't understanding why some of these people are so upset with us. Say what you will about Hillary Clinton, but I remember her and some U.N. officials at one time really trying to understand the enemy and empathize with them. We need understanding and communication, not borders and bombing the hell out of each other all over again. But try telling that to some of these traditional baby boomers that won't see it any other way.

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123

Yowza.

Of course they didn't deserve it. Only Hitler and company deserves something like that. Hate and terror are never the answer to anything. It is sad this young man thought this was the only way to express his frustrations with the world. He definitely made a statement in an important location, but lives should never be taken or injured in order to do that. Of course, some of the war-happy Republicans will say that so many people died for our country in a traditional war-form, yet they won't ever acknowledge some of those from ISIS dying for the causes they believe in. Many of them just see it as terror and chaos, yet they aren't understanding why some of these people are so upset with us. Say what you will about Hillary Clinton, but I remember her and some U.N. officials at one time really trying to understand the enemy and empathize with them. We need understanding and communication, not borders and bombing the hell out of each other all over again. But try telling that to some of these traditional baby boomers that won't see it any other way.

You do realize this man had to have gone insane, correct?
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,852

Yowza.

I guess I misunderstood your "karma is a bitch" comment then.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    The irony of him being concerned how the media portrays Muslims bothered him so he goes off and does something that further propels the negative stereotype.
  • Options
    Jason P said:

Yowza.

I wouldn't be so quick to say that. Although I agree that he was in a very loose sense of the term... wasn't this some brainwashed, religious lunatic that thought he was doing work on behalf of the flock?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

Jason P said:

Yowza.

I wouldn't be so quick to say that. Although I agree that he was in a very loose sense of the term... wasn't this some brainwashed, religious lunatic that thought he was doing work on behalf of the flock?
    source?

• Options
    I asked wasn't this? I'll source what I proclaim.

Everything I've read says as much. I'm waiting to hear what the real story is just like everyone else.
  • Options

I asked wasn't this? I'll source what I proclaim.

Everything I've read says as much. I'm waiting to hear what the real story is just like everyone else.

media speculation setting the narrative. they have lost a huge chunk of credibility as a whole imo.

right now LE is investigating the possibility.

further I'd like to see the actual post for myself.

• Options

Yowza.

I guess I misunderstood your "karma is a bitch" comment then.
    No, you didn't misunderstand it. I've lightened up a bit since last night.
  • Options
    Jason P said:

Yowza.

Insane, or possessed by demons? ;) ...just kidding of course.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,017
    I generally have no interest in social media, but found myself addicted to AMT the last few months. The number of pathetic posts on this thread and many others is a perfect example of the endless entertainment the AMT provides.
    There are comments that this was Karma for voting for Trump (and his supporters are the deplorables?), to cops shooting someone stabbing 11 people is a militarized state to he'd be alive if he was white.
    Really? Can anyone please find me anything about some white dude who stabbed a dozen people and the police didn't shoot him? That is so ridiculous, which is why it is so difficult to take many of the comments on the police abuse threads with mentalities like that one seriously.
    He was shot because he stabbed 11 people, how is that so difficult to fathom? Not because of his race, religion, sexual preference or any other reason anyone can come up with. its simple, you go around stabbing people you'll get shot-even in other countries too believe it or not.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

I generally have no interest in social media, but found myself addicted to AMT the last few months. The number of pathetic posts on this thread and many others is a perfect example of the endless entertainment the AMT provides.
    There are comments that this was Karma for voting for Trump (and his supporters are the deplorables?), to cops shooting someone stabbing 11 people is a militarized state to he'd be alive if he was white.
    Really? Can anyone please find me anything about some white dude who stabbed a dozen people and the police didn't shoot him? That is so ridiculous, which is why it is so difficult to take many of the comments on the police abuse threads with mentalities like that one seriously.
    He was shot because he stabbed 11 people, how is that so difficult to fathom? Not because of his race, religion, sexual preference or any other reason anyone can come up with. its simple, you go around stabbing people you'll get shot-even in other countries too believe it or not.

Please don't bring common sense into this thread. There's too many other agendas to push.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,677

mace1229 said:

Please don't bring common sense into this thread. There's too many other agendas to push.
    Common sense would say he respond directly to the one person, CM, who made the comment s/he's referring to, and not disregard all the comments in the thread.
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    edited November 2016
    mace1229 said:

lmgtfy
    WHY DO AMERICAN COPS KILL MORE PEOPLE THAN IN OTHER COUNTRIES?

By the numbers: US police kill more in days than other countries do in years

Police in the US Kill Citizens at Over 70 Times the Rate of Other First-World Nations
    which includes this gem: "China, whose population is 4 and 1/2 times the size of the United States, recorded 12 killings by law enforcement officers in 2014. Let that sink in. Law enforcement in the US killed 92 times more people than a country with nearly 1.4 billion people. "

Comparison of United States incarceration rate with other countries
    The United States has the largest prison population in the world, and the second-highest per-capita incarceration rate

.....so yeah, I'm sticking with militarized police state....
    Post edited by CM189191 on
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,315
    This kind of attack is what Isil has def promoted for sympathizers of their cause !
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    pickupyourwillpickupyourwill Posts: 3,135
    edited November 2016
    mace1229 said:

As far as the karma comment goes, which was made by me, I was more or less trying to make the observation that hate begets hate. Some of Trump's followers have allowed for such a negative, nasty campaign that it has followed into this crazy transition and made for a lot of tension. If that tension builds up big enough, then something's gotta give-- it can have a backlash. It almost feels like the reality of such a violent act so close to home has made some of these self-righteous, untouchable Republicans wake up a minute and say "Whoa, I guess all that hate we've been spewing really can come back on you." They can't just hide behind their keyboards and Facebook accounts and voice their strong, religious opinions thinking nothing ever happens in Ohio--the terrorists won't touch us here. Our large cities aren't as important as New York City or L.A. so we're safe. Well, I guess that was proven wrong. But generally, living here in Ohio, it feels like everyone just wants normal and safe again and no more political craziness that took a life and wounded many. Lesson learned.
    Post edited by pickupyourwill on
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,017
    CM189191 said:

mace1229 said:

lmgtfy

Police in the US Kill Citizens at Over 70 Times the Rate of Other First-World Nations
    which includes this gem: "China, whose population is 4 and 1/2 times the size of the United States, recorded 12 killings by law enforcement officers in 2014. Let that sink in. Law enforcement in the US killed 92 times more people than a country with nearly 1.4 billion people. "

The United States has the largest prison population in the world, and the second-highest per-capita incarceration rate

There may be arguments to that case. I may disagree with most of them, but I would at least there is some logic behind some other arguments. But a cop shooting someone who is trying to kill a dozen people is not one of them. Using this as an exmple of a military state is in my view ridiculous.
    What do you suggest the police do, watch and let him keep killing until he gets tired? Tackle him so they can get stabbed and then he can keep on killing? Really, what would be a better solution to stopping someone who is clearly trying to kill and injure many people?
    If it was only your life on the line then you'd have the right to criticize those tactics. But how brave of you to risk the lives of dozens of others when clearly many more innocent people would have been injured and in all likelihood killed so that we can stop some homicidal maniac in a peaceful manner.
  • Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    How Fake News Spreads — Corporate Media Spread Story of ‘Active Shooter’ During a Knife Attack

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/how-fake-news-spreads-corporate-media-shooter-knife-attack/#HE76t0VhbS58P06H.99

• Options
    mace1229 said:

CM189191 said:

mace1229 said:

lmgtfy

There may be arguments to that case. I may disagree with most of them, but I would at least there is some logic behind some other arguments. But a cop shooting someone who is trying to kill a dozen people is not one of them. Using this as an exmple of a military state is in my view ridiculous.
    What do you suggest the police do, watch and let him keep killing until he gets tired? Tackle him so they can get stabbed and then he can keep on killing? Really, what would be a better solution to stopping someone who is clearly trying to kill and injure many people?
    If it was only your life on the line then you'd have the right to criticize those tactics. But how brave of you to risk the lives of dozens of others when clearly many more innocent people would have been injured and in all likelihood killed so that we can stop some homicidal maniac in a peaceful manner.
    Yes.

It's a reach at best. At worst... it's ridiculous.
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    mace1229 said:

CM189191 said:

mace1229 said:

lmgtfy

I would think it might ask the questions:
    Do other countries have less stabbings?
    Less violent crime?
    How are foreign police able to enforce the law without shooting and killing?
    Are the rules of engagement different? The weaponry? The training? The ability to prosecute wrongful deaths?
    Why is it so easy for police to kill here?
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    I see you conveniently left out the fact that the US is the most armed country in the world.

That's a factor. A big one.