President Elect Trump

Comments

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,586

JC29856 said:

I'm all for public figures speaking their mind, I think Meryl earned the right to make those comments, I'm just not sure she or her audience in person and thru the tube know the backstory.

Unfortunately, this is news, newsworthy, it's what's being discussed, nobody is talking about the devilish details in the intel reports.

I agree with Meryl that trumps performance was terrible, he seems to play the same role when mocking people. he would have played a much better role mocking the reporters disability by just stalding there with a goofy face and his hand severely bent down instead of usual arm flailing mock.

Again, no need to mock anyone, we're all in this together.

It's in the news because of Trump's manbaby butthurt tweet....not because of Streep
    Well, the media have the right to ignore his personal tweets at anytime, but it's ratings and everyone else is doing it....

Leave this shit for TMZ and ET.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,958
    JC29856 said:

I'm all for public figures speaking their mind, I think Meryl earned the right to make those comments, I'm just not sure she or her audience in person and thru the tube know the backstory.

Unfortunately, this is news, newsworthy, it's what's being discussed, nobody is talking about the devilish details in the intel reports.

I agree with Meryl that trumps performance was terrible, he seems to play the same role when mocking people. he would have played a much better role mocking the reporters disability by just stalding there with a goofy face and his hand severely bent down instead of usual arm flailing mock.

Again, no need to mock anyone, we're all in this together.

Trump's not playing a role. This is his genuine, narcissistic personality combined with his insecurity and thin skin. He's not tweeting like a 14 year to intentionally create distractions from real issues. These are real issues to him.
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331

dignin said:

PJPOWER said:

Free said:

I am conflicted about the Meryl Streep speech. On one hand, she's right, that we (the public) and they (the media) need to hold Trump accountable and not normalize his behaviour.

On the other hand, putting celebrities on a pedestal and giving them this platform and encouraging them to believe that we should all sit and listen to whatever it is they have to say, for no other reason than they look good on tv, is the exact reason we are where we are today.

Trump as President does not exist without celebrity fascination in the US.

Anyone w/ a microphone has the power to say anything. Good AND bad in some cases.
    of course they do. but it's our fault for letting them believe what they say holds more weight than the average joe.
    Agreed, and the drama/media major students that I knew in college were the ones that were the least educated in political science, government, accounting, history, etc...they sure as hell knew a lot about acting and being fake though! Blows my mind that people put anything weight in what actors say outside of their acting.
    Maybe we should stick to what Streep said....she never mentioned Trump by name. What did she say that you disagree with?
    it was a veiled "as a famous person, we have an obligation" blah blah blah. I don't mind being educated by someone who has the microphone. But when all it is, is partisan bullshit, then I have an issue with it. It's not different than if Chachi were receiving an award and telling everyone in the audience how terrible Obama is. Just not a fan.

Honestly, had she not torn down athletes (intentional or not) while elevating actors, I might have nothing to say about it at all (and besides MMA, I'm not a big sports fan). The message was great until that dig on those not in the arts community. she came off as self-important and I hate that shit.

at least when Ed does it, he is the first to admit his opinion holds no more weight than anyone else's.
    She did not knock athletes.
    sounded like it to me.
    I never heard her say that one was better than another, just that they are different.

Hollywood is most likely going to be a target (like journalism already is) of this administration, not sports. I can understand why she is speaking out. Very commendable and needed.

The people upset about someone using their platform to speak their mind need to find a safe place where they won't be triggered (not directed at you Hugh).

dignin said:

PJPOWER said:

Free said:

I am conflicted about the Meryl Streep speech. On one hand, she's right, that we (the public) and they (the media) need to hold Trump accountable and not normalize his behaviour.

On the other hand, putting celebrities on a pedestal and giving them this platform and encouraging them to believe that we should all sit and listen to whatever it is they have to say, for no other reason than they look good on tv, is the exact reason we are where we are today.

Anyone w/ a microphone has the power to say anything. Good AND bad in some cases.
    of course they do. but it's our fault for letting them believe what they say holds more weight than the average joe.
    Agreed, and the drama/media major students that I knew in college were the ones that were the least educated in political science, government, accounting, history, etc...they sure as hell knew a lot about acting and being fake though! Blows my mind that people put anything weight in what actors say outside of their acting.
    Maybe we should stick to what Streep said....she never mentioned Trump by name. What did she say that you disagree with?
    it was a veiled "as a famous person, we have an obligation" blah blah blah. I don't mind being educated by someone who has the microphone. But when all it is, is partisan bullshit, then I have an issue with it. It's not different than if Chachi were receiving an award and telling everyone in the audience how terrible Obama is. Just not a fan.

Honestly, had she not torn down athletes (intentional or not) while elevating actors, I might have nothing to say about it at all (and besides MMA, I'm not a big sports fan). The message was great until that dig on those not in the arts community. she came off as self-important and I hate that shit.

at least when Ed does it, he is the first to admit his opinion holds no more weight than anyone else's.
    sounded like it to me.
    It's interesting to see how everyone interprets something different even though she never negatively referenced them. She made a statement about her profession, outlined what would be left without certain types of people and than identified those groups as something different then her profession so it wouldn't be the same. Never did she discredit their intelligence, political view or talents. People need to quit connecting a dot to an already completed picture.
  • dignin said:

dignin said:

PJPOWER said:

Free said:

sounded like it to me.
    I never heard her say that one was better than another, just that they are different.

Hollywood is most likely going to be a target (like journalism already is) of this administration, not sports. I can understand why she is speaking out. Very commendable and needed.

The people upset about someone using their platform to speak their mind need to find a safe place where they won't be triggered (not directed at you Hugh).

President Trump uses twitter as a platform to speak his mind and some don't like it.
  • tbergs said:

dignin said:

PJPOWER said:

Free said:

sounded like it to me.
    It's interesting to see how everyone interprets something different even though she never negatively referenced them. She made a statement about her profession, outlined what would be left without certain types of people and than identified those groups as something different then her profession so it wouldn't be the same. Never did she discredit their intelligence, political view or talents. People need to quit connecting a dot to an already completed picture.
    So everyone including the press is wrong about their interpretation of what she meant?
    No matter how much spin Trump and his supporters put on this, most of us here are capable of figuring this out.

Does anyone think that a child who brags about sexually assaulting women (grabbing them by the pussy) wouldn't be capable of making fun of someone who is disabled?

Meryl Streep was right. Donald Trump did mock a disabled reporter.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2017/01/09/meryl-streep-was-right-donald-trump-did-mock-a-disabled-reporter/?utm_term=.4d2f11b7c675

• PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited January 2017
    PJ_Soul said:

Latest tweet folks https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/818307689323368448
    Dishonest media says Mexico won't be paying for the wall if they pay a little later so the wall can be built more quickly. Media is fake!

I find this whole "the media is fake and dishonest" thing that Trump is doing every single day to be one of the most disturbing things about him. That is a seriously fascist tactic and could have very real and dire consequences in American society. I feel like Americans aren't taking it seriously enough for the most part.
    Not sure about your statement.
    On his twitter Kellyanne Conway went to @MeetThePress this morning for an interview with @chucktodd. Dishonest media cut out 9 of her 10 minutes. Terrible!
    What else was in the interview that was not shown on television? Things like this are being censored and President Trump is calling it out each time he says it about any news station not just ones w/ a perceived bias towards him. However if someone is always saying the media is fake and dishonest they are as delusional as people who don't want government.
  • JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    Without knowing with certainty whether Trump was mocking the reporter in general like he has so many others or if he mocked the disability not being certain if he has ever had anything against the disabled, the question is what's more reprehensible?

1. Mocking people in general
    2. Mocking this reporter because he "don't remember"
    3. Using a disability for political gain

Remember Trump denied mocking the disability many times well before the tv ad.
    edited January 2017

tbergs said:

dignin said:

PJPOWER said:

Free said:

sounded like it to me.
    So everyone including the press is wrong about their interpretation of what she meant?
    Is that what everyone is saying? I'm sorry I haven't been reading about whether athletes are feeling offended. I'll emphasize "feeling" because she didn't offend any of them. All of these offended athletes and others should be embarrassed and offended that the President of Tweeting Useless Shit offends, mocks, belittles, denigrates, etc. people of all kinds almost daily. And that is a fact, not a feeling.
    dignin said:

No matter how much spin Trump and his supporters put on this, most of us here are capable of figuring this out.

Does anyone think that a child who brags about sexually assaulting women (grabbing them by the pussy) wouldn't be capable of making fun of someone who is disabled?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2017/01/09/meryl-streep-was-right-donald-trump-did-mock-a-disabled-reporter/?utm_term=.4d2f11b7c675

What spin do you refer to?

Nobody questions whether Trump mocked a disabled person, trump mocked a man with a disability, but did he intentionally and knowing mock his disability by flailing his arms?

All of the people that were sure Hilliary would break the glass ceiling are sure what Trump intended.

PJ_Soul said:

Latest tweet folks https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/818307689323368448
    Dishonest media says Mexico won't be paying for the wall if they pay a little later so the wall can be built more quickly. Media is fake!

I find this whole "the media is fake and dishonest" thing that Trump is doing every single day to be one of the most disturbing things about him. That is a seriously fascist tactic and could have very real and dire consequences in American society. I feel like Americans aren't taking it seriously enough for the most part.
    Not sure about your statement.
    On his twitter Kellyanne Conway went to @MeetThePress this morning for an interview with @chucktodd. Dishonest media cut out 9 of her 10 minutes. Terrible!
    What else was in the interview that was not shown on television? Things like this are being censored and President Trump is calling it out each time he says it about any news station not just ones w/ a perceived bias towards him. However if someone is always saying the media is fake and dishonest they are as delusional as people who don't want government.
    You can watch the entire interview on their website. They cut it for time, which is what happens on television all the time. They didn't string pieces together or only highlight out of context sound bites.
    JC29856 said:

Without knowing with certainty whether Trump was mocking the reporter in general like he has so many others or if he mocked the disability not being certain if he has ever had anything against the disabled, the question is what's more reprehensible?

Keep spinning. Most of us have ears, eyes and the ability think critically.

You can pretend to believe Trump, the known compulsive liar.
    dignin said:

Classic....capable so he must have done it.
    Capable = guilt
    Let go down your rabbit hole
    Motive??
  • tbergs said:

JC29856 said:

rgambs said:

It's beyond clear that he was mocking him.

No question Trump was mocking him, backtracking on remembering the story, like he mocked others but was he mocking his disability? That's what Hilliary and MSM claimed.
    I don't think it's clear he mocked because of a disability, but I think that's beside the point. The problem isn't that he mocked a disabled person, it's that he mocks, ridicules, demeans, etc. anyone who he thinks is in the wrong or challenges him. He is someone who publicly makes fun of others for whatever reason and is now our president.

Those that argue against his intention on the reporter mocking are missing the point.
    This. I guess I'm hoping when he actually becomes president he will be too busy to respond to every little thing that is said about him. God I hope I'm right.
    I'm through with screaming
    edited January 2017
    dignin said:

JC29856 said:

Keep not answering the question?

Define compulsions liar and list his compulsive lies? I'll compare them to other political figures in recent history.

Where did I say I believe trump? You eyes are playing tricks on you.
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,958
    JC29856 said:

dignin said:

JC29856 said:

Define compulsions liar and list his compulsive lies? I'll compare them to other political figures in recent history.

I guess this is what the next four years (or less) are going to be like - explaining the basics to trump supporters.
  • PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited January 2017
    ^^^
    eight
    make America gr8 again

JC29856 said:

dignin said:

JC29856 said:

I guess this is what the next four years (or less) are going to be like - explaining the basics to trump supporters.
    Allot of guessing today...you, gern, dig
    JC29856 said:

dignin said:

JC29856 said:

Please don't ask for information you know exists. It's a waste of our time. You know he lies and doing so at the frequency he does is compulsive.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/emilywillingham/2016/09/27/why-does-donald-trump-lie-so-much/
    JC29856 said:

dignin said:

Capable = guilt
    Motive??
    Your only defense is "we don't know what was in his heart".

Why would you bother trying to defend him on this? He already won with all of this known. His supporters (you being one of them) aren't bothered by the fact that he is a terrible person who bullies.

You can spin all you want, but you can't make that vote clean. Accept it and move on.

tbergs said:

JC29856 said:

dignin said:

JC29856 said:

Please don't ask for information you know exists. It's a waste of our time. You know he lies and doing so at the frequency he does is compulsive.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/emilywillingham/2016/09/27/why-does-donald-trump-lie-so-much/
    I GUESS the spin question and where I believe Trump won't be answered.
    JC29856 said:

tbergs said:

JC29856 said:

dignin said:

JC29856 said:

It's okay, you voted for him, we all make mistakes, time to move on.
    edited January 2017
    dignin said:

JC29856 said:

dignin said:

Capable = guilt
    Motive??

Why would you bother trying to defend him on this? He already won with all of this known. His supporters (you being one of them) aren't bothered by the fact that he is a terrible person who bullies.

You can spin all you want, but you can't make that vote clean. Accept it and move on.

When you make a statement then cannot back it up where does it leave me and anyone reading these boards?

What statements have I made without backup or reference?

You said spin...without reference, then you claim I believe trump, without reference.

At this point I usually envoke..."I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight"
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,213

^^^
    Are you serious?
    Your country had like an entire year to get the message out to vote in a candidate other than President Trump.
    Your message failed horribly or you just didn't vote because Hillary had it in the bag.

Fuck Hillary & Obama , this is all about your hero Bafoon the election is over he is at the wheel and he can't drive ! Keep looking the other way while this creep drives us of a cliff !
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    JC29856 said:

dignin said:

JC29856 said:

dignin said:

Capable = guilt
    Motive??

When you make a statement then cannot back it up where does it leave me and anyone reading these boards?

What statements have I made without backup or reference?

You said spin...without reference, then you claim I believe trump, without reference.

At this point I usually envoke..."I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight"
    We're all in this together. It's OKAY.
    JC29856 said:

tbergs said:

JC29856 said:

dignin said:

JC29856 said:

The spin part is between you and dignin.
    tbergs said:

JC29856 said:

tbergs said:

JC29856 said:

dignin said:

JC29856 said:

The spin part is between you and dignin.
    No tberg, you're in the thick of it now. There's no way out!!

It's a whirling vortex!!
    JC29856 said:

It's kinda hard to believe trump saying he wasn't mocking the reporter, he over exaggerated his movements, I've seen him do similar groveling movements but not to that extent.
    As for Streeps speech which I did not see but just read, it was well said.

https://youtu.be/_8JqT2atxD8

https://youtu.be/Dk5eeyJ6HAM

Who said this?
    JC29856 said:

Here are some things that Meryl and those that believe Trump was mocking the reporter must assume and likely are not aware of.

1. It all started from Trumps claim that Arabs were celebrating on a rooftop shortly after planes crashed the towers 911.
    2. After trump was called out on his claim by George Steph and WaPo, who denied that this was reported, trump sited WaPo (yes WaPo!) journalist Serge Kovaleski who wrote this on 9/18/11...In Jersey City, within hours of two jetliners’ plowing into the World Trade Center, law enforcement authorities detained and questioned a number of people who were allegedly seen celebrating the attacks and holding tailgate-style parties on rooftops while they watched the devastation on the other side of the river.
    3. WaPo then finds Kovaleski who is working for the NYT, and gets a quote from him...“I certainly do not remember anyone saying that thousands or even hundreds of people were celebrating,” said Serge Kovaleski, one of the reporters. “That was not the case, as best as I can remember.”
    4. Trump rally in South Carolina where he mocks the reporter that backtracked and "couldnt remember" his own reporting from 9/18/11
    5. Kovaleski’s disability is a congenital condition called arthrogryposis. Arthrogryposis causes restricted movement in the joints but does not cause spasms or uncontrolled moving of the limbs like cerebral palsy.
    6. Trump met or seen Kovelski before the S Car rally and purposefully mocked his disability... I have no idea who this reporter, Serge Kovalski [sic], is, what he looks like or his level of intelligence. I don’t know if he is J.J. Watt or Muhammad Ali in his prime or somebody of less athletic or physical ability. Despite having one of the all-time great memories, I certainly do not remember him...I merely mimicked what I thought would be a flustered reporter trying to get out of a statement he made long ago. If Mr. Kovaleski is handicapped, I would not know because I do not know what he looks like. If I did know, I would definitely not say anything about his appearance.

Here is snopes...http://www.snopes.com/2016/07/28/donald-trump-criticized-for-mocking-disabled-reporter/

Do you believe Trump was overly theatrical when the media tried a gotcha on him which he turned around on them, or do you believe Trump purposefully and knowingly mocked a disabled reporter?

https://youtu.be/ydGOPzW227E

It's alittle harder to believe when you know this and easier if you assume the reporter moves spastically
This discussion has been closed.