President Elect Trump

Comments

• BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,671
    vaggar99 said:

tbergs said:

Streep used the spotlight to send a powerful message. Trump uses the spotlight to act like a donkey.

On the re-watch it was interesting to see the celebs that were clearly uncomfortable with her speech. Colin Farrell, Mel Gibson and Vince Vaughn all looked unhappy.
    just the misogynists.
    In Mel's defense he is also a raging anti-Semite and homophobe.
  • vaggar99vaggar99 Posts: 3,427
    ^^^
    he actually seemed interested in her speech. he also looked hammered.
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 38,391
    edited January 2017

Sorry folks I missed this tweet some how. https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/818169485169410048

Before I, or anyone, saw the classified and/or highly confidential hacking intelligence report, it was leaked out to @NBCNews. So serious!

Too bad he doesn't take his daily intelligence briefings or the intelligence community seriously but what do you expect from a man lacking in same?
    Post edited by Halifax2TheMax on
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • JC29856 said:

JC29856 said:

"Meryl Streep (who is highly overrated) and cant sing, chose to use her award time to say nasty things about me tonight. Her best film She Devil. #12days
    DJT TWEETY

Was I close??

Meryl Streep, one of the most over-rated actresses in Hollywood, doesn't know me but attacked last night at the Golden Globes. She is a.....Hillary flunky who lost big. For the 100th time, I never "mocked" a disabled reporter (would never do that) but simply showed him......."groveling" when he totally changed a 16 year old story that he had written in order to make me look bad. Just more very dishonest media!
    Lol. Yup.

He's such a wanker. Unbelievable.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    What a national embarrassment.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,838
    Enough with the tweeting already, Donald. Campaign season is over.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,838
    edited January 2017

tbergs said:

Latest tweet folks https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/818307689323368448
    Dishonest media says Mexico won't be paying for the wall if they pay a little later so the wall can be built more quickly. Media is fake!

What could possibly go wrong? It's not like he's ever gone bankrupt from bad business deals...
    Did bootlegger10 write that tweet?
    Never said the media shouldn't challenge Trump. He needs a thicker skin but I am all good with an adversarial relationship between President and media. It should always be that way instead of the love fest of the last 8 years.

Thankfully I don't have Twitter.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,532
    This Streep response is disturbing. If this was a dem pres-elect doing this shit the GOP would be lighting themselves on fire....and rightfully so
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    Here are some things that Meryl and those that believe Trump was mocking the reporter must assume and likely are not aware of.

1. It all started from Trumps claim that Arabs were celebrating on a rooftop shortly after planes crashed the towers 911.
    2. After trump was called out on his claim by George Steph and WaPo, who denied that this was reported, trump sited WaPo (yes WaPo!) journalist Serge Kovaleski who wrote this on 9/18/11...In Jersey City, within hours of two jetliners’ plowing into the World Trade Center, law enforcement authorities detained and questioned a number of people who were allegedly seen celebrating the attacks and holding tailgate-style parties on rooftops while they watched the devastation on the other side of the river.
    3. WaPo then finds Kovaleski who is working for the NYT, and gets a quote from him...“I certainly do not remember anyone saying that thousands or even hundreds of people were celebrating,” said Serge Kovaleski, one of the reporters. “That was not the case, as best as I can remember.”
    4. Trump rally in South Carolina where he mocks the reporter that backtracked and "couldnt remember" his own reporting from 9/18/11
    5. Kovaleski’s disability is a congenital condition called arthrogryposis. Arthrogryposis causes restricted movement in the joints but does not cause spasms or uncontrolled moving of the limbs like cerebral palsy.
    6. Trump met or seen Kovelski before the S Car rally and purposefully mocked his disability... I have no idea who this reporter, Serge Kovalski [sic], is, what he looks like or his level of intelligence. I don’t know if he is J.J. Watt or Muhammad Ali in his prime or somebody of less athletic or physical ability. Despite having one of the all-time great memories, I certainly do not remember him...I merely mimicked what I thought would be a flustered reporter trying to get out of a statement he made long ago. If Mr. Kovaleski is handicapped, I would not know because I do not know what he looks like. If I did know, I would definitely not say anything about his appearance.

Here is snopes...http://www.snopes.com/2016/07/28/donald-trump-criticized-for-mocking-disabled-reporter/

Do you believe Trump was overly theatrical when the media tried a gotcha on him which he turned around on them, or do you believe Trump purposefully and knowingly mocked a disabled reporter?

https://youtu.be/ydGOPzW227E
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,958
    JC's six points of justification. To your credit, I believe you did say you had a lime drawn for trump (at least I think you do).
    It's beyond clear that he was mocking him.
    Here's WaPos take...remember them.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/arts-and-entertainment/wp/2017/01/08/meryl-streep-called-out-donald-trump-at-the-golden-globes-read-her-speech-here/

In any event whatever Trumps intentions were, it certainly made good Hilliary campaign TV ads, unfortunately it didn't help a candidate who herself and a top advisor were under FBI investigation win the electoral vote, although she did win the popular vote.
    JC29856 said:

Here are some things that Meryl and those that believe Trump was mocking the reporter must assume and likely are not aware of.

1. It all started from Trumps claim that Arabs were celebrating on a rooftop shortly after planes crashed the towers 911.
    2. After trump was called out on his claim by George Steph and WaPo, who denied that this was reported, trump sited WaPo (yes WaPo!) journalist Serge Kovaleski who wrote this on 9/18/11...In Jersey City, within hours of two jetliners’ plowing into the World Trade Center, law enforcement authorities detained and questioned a number of people who were allegedly seen celebrating the attacks and holding tailgate-style parties on rooftops while they watched the devastation on the other side of the river.
    3. WaPo then finds Kovaleski who is working for the NYT, and gets a quote from him...“I certainly do not remember anyone saying that thousands or even hundreds of people were celebrating,” said Serge Kovaleski, one of the reporters. “That was not the case, as best as I can remember.”
    4. Trump rally in South Carolina where he mocks the reporter that backtracked and "couldnt remember" his own reporting from 9/18/11
    5. Kovaleski’s disability is a congenital condition called arthrogryposis. Arthrogryposis causes restricted movement in the joints but does not cause spasms or uncontrolled moving of the limbs like cerebral palsy.
    6. Trump met or seen Kovelski before the S Car rally and purposefully mocked his disability... I have no idea who this reporter, Serge Kovalski [sic], is, what he looks like or his level of intelligence. I don’t know if he is J.J. Watt or Muhammad Ali in his prime or somebody of less athletic or physical ability. Despite having one of the all-time great memories, I certainly do not remember him...I merely mimicked what I thought would be a flustered reporter trying to get out of a statement he made long ago. If Mr. Kovaleski is handicapped, I would not know because I do not know what he looks like. If I did know, I would definitely not say anything about his appearance.

Here is snopes...http://www.snopes.com/2016/07/28/donald-trump-criticized-for-mocking-disabled-reporter/

Do you believe Trump was overly theatrical when the media tried a gotcha on him which he turned around on them, or do you believe Trump purposefully and knowingly mocked a disabled reporter?

https://youtu.be/ydGOPzW227E

pretty obvious isn't it?

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    rgambs said:

No question Trump was mocking him, backtracking on remembering the story, like he mocked others but was he mocking his disability? That's what Hilliary and MSM claimed.
    JC29856 said:

rgambs said:

No question Trump was mocking him, backtracking on remembering the story, like he mocked others but was he mocking his disability? That's what Hilliary and MSM claimed.
    It's beyond clear that he was mocking his disability. Only a pro-Trump bias could lead a rational person to conclude otherwise.
  • benjsbenjs Posts: 9,099
    vaggar99 said:

Robert Reich:
    It’s important to distinguish two lines of resistance to Trump:
    1. Resistance to Trump’s regressiveness: repealing Obamacare, turning Medicare into vouchers (that will leave many elderly worse off) and Medicaid into state block grants (depriving the poor of health care); attacking Social Security; giving huge tax breaks to the wealthy and to large corporations; eviscerating environmental laws, regulations and treaties; defunding Planned Parenthood; putting people in charge of departments who are intent on doing the opposite of what the departments are set up to do (DeVos at Education, Puzder at Labor; Pruitt at EPA); putting a right-winger on the Supreme Court; and so on.
    2. Resistance to Trump’s tyranny: repeatedly telling big lies; demeaning government scientists and intelligence officials; undermining the freedom and independence of the press; threatening critics and calling them "enemies"; creating “registries” of Muslim-Americans and a religious test for entering the United States; cozying up to foreign dictators; blaming economic stresses on immigrants and fomenting public bias and even violence against them; attributing acts of domestic violence to “enemies within,” and using such events as excuses to beef up internal security and limit civil liberties; creating a personal security force rather than a security detail accountable to the public; and personally profiting from public office.
    Both resistances are critical. But the second has nothing to do with partisanship or the age-old fight between Republicans and Democrats over the reach or role of government. Resistance to tyranny must not be seen in partisan terms. We need Republicans to join in resistance to Trump’s tyranny. Conservative Republicans have traditionally been vigilant against tyranny, and they must be invited to the cause.
    What do you think?

What you've posted here are not forms of resistance, they are definitions and categorizations of Trump's stated goals. Does Reich actually speak about resistance strategies, or is he still repeating a well-documented proposed agenda? Also, while Conservative Republicans may have been vigilant against tyranny historically, that vigilance has often been superseded by allegiance to their party. These behaviours are also not exclusive to Conservative Republicans by any means (either the vigilance or the party allegiance).

JC29856 said:

"Meryl Streep (who is highly overrated) and cant sing, chose to use her award time to say nasty things about me tonight. Her best film She Devil. #12days
    DJT TWEETY

She wants the media to hold Trump accountable (which they should), but it is just too funny hearing this the night after all these celebrities go gaga over their Lord and Savior Obama at his going away party. The media disappeared the last 8 years.
    The media may have incidentally existed with the purpose of informing, because the public responded positively to being informed. When the public asked (by ratings) to be entertained rather than being informed, the media companies pivoted to recognize the pursuit of profit - the true goal of any company residing in a capitalist society. Just like politicians have an inherent conflict of interest between being members of a democracy and being capitalists, the fourth estate has an inherent conflict of interest between being informants and being capitalists. This is a fatal flaw, and because of the nature of a capitalist democracy, it will always exist.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1

JC's six points of justification. To your credit, I believe you did say you had a lime drawn for trump (at least I think you do).

not sure what that means, please check if you're experiencing symptoms of mrussitis
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,552
    I am conflicted about the Meryl Streep speech. On one hand, she's right, that we (the public) and they (the media) need to hold Trump accountable and not normalize his behaviour.

On the other hand, putting celebrities on a pedestal and giving them this platform and encouraging them to believe that we should all sit and listen to whatever it is they have to say, for no other reason than they look good on tv, is the exact reason we are where we are today.

Trump as President does not exist without celebrity fascination in the US.
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,552
    not to mention she lifted up hollywood at the same time as bringing down athletes, she completely discredited herself in the midst of one sentence.
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• The Daily Fluff
    rgambs said:

JC29856 said:

rgambs said:

It's beyond clear that he was mocking his disability. Only a pro-Trump bias could lead a rational person to conclude otherwise.
    maybe you were duped... I cant be sure bec I dont know Trumps intentions but some devilish details casts doubt on MSM and Hilliars claims. If he never acted out so foolishly mocking others, I would be more inclined to believe you and them. Like I said in any event most people probably dont know the backstory and it didnt help Hilliary anyway.
    edited January 2017
    JC29856 said:

rgambs said:

JC29856 said:

rgambs said:

maybe you were duped... I cant be sure bec I dont know Trumps intentions but some devilish details casts doubt on MSM and Hilliars claims. If he never acted out so foolishly mocking others, I would be more inclined to believe you and them. Like I said in any event most people probably dont know the backstory and it didnt help Hilliary anyway.
    Do you read the items that you post? The reporter says that he interviewed Trump in person more than a few times. Trump was clearly mocking his disability.

What "details" are you referring to that cast doubt on that?

I am conflicted about the Meryl Streep speech. On one hand, she's right, that we (the public) and they (the media) need to hold Trump accountable and not normalize his behaviour.

On the other hand, putting celebrities on a pedestal and giving them this platform and encouraging them to believe that we should all sit and listen to whatever it is they have to say, for no other reason than they look good on tv, is the exact reason we are where we are today.

Trump as President does not exist without celebrity fascination in the US.

Very good point, Im assuming by "where we are today" you mean that the US voters were tricked by Putin via RT into thinking that a celebrity game show host as president could help solve our problems.
  • InHiding80InHiding80 Posts: 7,623

Trump likes the thespian "skills" of Baio and Sabato Jr.. Who dafuq is he to judge?
  • InHiding80InHiding80 Posts: 7,623

This Streep response is disturbing. If this was a dem pres-elect doing this shit the GOP would be lighting themselves on fire....and rightfully so

This already happened at the RNC with Baio and Sabato Jr getting rounds of applause from the "celebs aren't allowed to get political unless they're washed up has beens who agree with me" crowd.
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    rgambs said:

JC29856 said:

rgambs said:

I do not like Trump. I did not and would not ever vote for someone like him and fear what the next 4 years will bring us. With that said, a few months ago I did see a video from a republican debate where Trump made the same expressions and movements while mocking something Ted Cruz had said. Not that what he did is right, but it could be his way of just imitating people when he's trying to show they were confused, rather than specifically mocking the reporter's disability, but in this case the person he was mocking just happened to be disabled.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,586
    JC29856 said:

rgambs said:

I don't think it's clear he mocked because of a disability, but I think that's beside the point. The problem isn't that he mocked a disabled person, it's that he mocks, ridicules, demeans, etc. anyone who he thinks is in the wrong or challenges him. He is someone who publicly makes fun of others for whatever reason and is now our president.

Those that argue against his intention on the reporter mocking are missing the point.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,586

not to mention she lifted up hollywood at the same time as bringing down athletes, she completely discredited herself in the midst of one sentence.

Good point. I don't think she meant it that way, but many will view it as such. Her point was more about the fine arts, not athletic or physical abilities that football and MMA require.
    It's a hopeless situation...

"Hollywood is crawling with outsiders and foreigners and if we kick them all out, you'll have nothing to watch but football and mixed martial arts, which are not the arts,"

this gives you a glimpse into the mindset and outlook.
    tbergs said:

JC29856 said:

rgambs said:

I don't think it's clear he mocked because of a disability, but I think that's beside the point. The problem isn't that he mocked a disabled person, it's that he mocks, ridicules, demeans, etc. anyone who he thinks is in the wrong or challenges him. He is someone who publicly makes fun of others for whatever reason and is now our president.

Those that argue against his intention on the reporter mocking are missing the point.
    I agree, its foolish to mock others, its done on here all the time, but the point is that MSM made it the narrative and Hilliary made a campaign ad.
    Like MSM and Hilliary, Streep brought up Trump mocking the disability not his mocking in general.
This discussion has been closed.