Election Stress Disorder

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    lukin2006 said:

lukin2006 said:

lukin2006 said:

Free said:

I've met some Canadians at different times recently on their vacation and I always feel the need to apologize to them about Trump.

Whenever I go North and meet people, or even my Canadian relatives will ask "WTF is up with your idea for good presidential candidates?"
    I live in Canada and most people that I come across just laugh and shake their head at the two candidates that could become POTUS...lol
    we do laugh, but unfortunately this has opened the door to the possibility of having our own Trump mockery up here. Kevin O'Leary has been asked and won't comment if he would make a run for federal office in Ottawa. He's as much or more of a blowhard idiot like Trump.

And there is a LOT of hate towards Trudeau right now. Reminds of the disgust towards Obama.
    Kevin O'Leary would first have to gain the conservative leadership, I just don't see that happening...I also don't see him waiting 6-7 years have a realistic shot, Trudeau will likely be giving a second term...

Wow Trudeau has it rough, still high in popular support, must be tough. If Trudeau is facing voter backlash it's because people have come to the realization that they a elected a conservative in liberal clothes...as I've said "meet the new boss, same as the old".
    no one saw Trump winning the nom, either.

I just saw someone post something on facebook about trudeau, and the sheer amount of hate towards the guy was astounding. and it was from the right, as far as I could tell. I was pretty surprised.
    admittedly I know very little of Kevin O'Leary outside his tv persona, is there any evidence he is anything like trump? yes he's loud like Trump so is Clinton and Sanders...but honestly I don't see the connection and it's an unlikely scenario considering he hasn't even thrown his hat into ring for the conservative leadership...and I haven't heard his name mentioned to the conservative leadership in sometime. But I seriously doubt he's any less qualified than Trudeau! So other than his tv persona and how he comes across on tv, where is the evidence he's like Trump.

If, and that's a big if he did throw his hat in the ring, then I believe he'd be doing it because he wants to be PM, unlike Trump who doesn't want to be president, who likely never thought his run would get this far and is doing everything in power to undermine his own campaign.

And both Trump and O'Leary becoming leaders of their respective countries would be a considerable downgrade in lifestyle, don't yeah think?

Well I wouldn't rely on facebook or any online comments to really gauge how people feel toward Trudeau, Trudeau is nothing like the POTUS, for starters he saw the value in withdrawing our jets from the Middle East, he sees the value in peacekeeping...the us and their POTUS does not share Canadian values, they are war mongers and always will be. From what I understand he brought out the youth vote in the last election...now if he doesn't follow through on electoral reform, pot legalization then he'll likely lose that vote, and since he's obviously pro pipeline and will likely approve another pipeline by the end of the year he'll likely lose any of the environmental crowd...even with all that he will get a second term, the NDP and Cons still need a leader...so I see him winning a second term, I would prefer an NDP minority.
    he's a brash rich guy who brags about his wealth when he got filthy rich off one transaction from the dotcom bubble, basically ripping people off for a couple billion dollars for his useless website. he's obnoxious and loves the spotlight.

no, he hasn't thrown his hat into the ring. he mentioned it on a few talk shows a few times a while back. he acted intrigued at the idea. All I said was that Canada might not be immune to this sort of nonsense as we all seem to think. I wasn't suggesting OLeary is on his way to securing the PC leadership or anything of the like.

Of course it would be a downgrade in lifestyle. it would be for anyone who can afford to become POTUS. All of them are multi-millionaires to begin with, so why do it? POWER. EGO. there really can't be any other answer. I don't think "serve my country" is even a part of it anymore.

I know, I was just very surprised how much hate I saw on those comments. it was vile, unadulterated hate. I just don't see Trudeau causing that type of emotion, Conservative supporter or not. But I guess there's all kinds of people out there.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    edited October 2016
    Kevin O'Leary

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_O'Leary

Seems like a lot of business people, some failures and some huge success, he obviously has a knack for investing...nothing wrong with that, I've long maintained that financial education and investing should be tought from kindergarten to completion of ones studies...but that's not in the best interest of the governmement.
    Post edited by lukin2006 on
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,556
    edited October 2016
    I worry about O'Leary and his talk about joining politics. It's not because I don't like him (i neither like him nor dislike him I think... I liked him on The Dragon's Den I suppose). I just think that money is basically EVERYTHING to him. I wouldn't trust him to make decisions that are best for people because he would be blinded by dollar signs in any case where money/funding/profits are in play. Plus it really bugs me when these rich people just insert themselves in politics at the end of the road - at the top - without ever putting in the time and gaining the experience. That alone seems ultimately corrupt to me. It makes me think there should be a requirement to have served as an elected official before being allowed to run for top dog. O'Leary is just a sane Trump.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

I worry about O'Leary and his talk about joining politics. It's not because I don't like him (i neither like him nor dislike him I think... I liked him on The Dragon's Den I suppose). I just think that money is basically EVERYTHING to him. I wouldn't trust him to make decisions that are best for people because he would be blinded by dollar signs in any case where money/funding/profits are in play. Plus it really bugs me when these rich people just insert themselves in politics at the end of the road - at the top - without ever putting in the time and gaining the experience. That alone seems ultimately corrupt to me. It makes me think there should be a requirement to have served as an elected official before being allowed to run for top dog. O'Leary is just a sane Trump.

i couldn't stand that fucker on dragon's den, and he's a big reason brett left the show. he got tired of oleary basically treating the pitch people like worms. he looks down on everyone. don't make a deal, but don't tell someone who stupid their idea is or how they know nothing about economics.

but you are right, money is everything to him, and in politics, that is incredibly dangerous.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:

I doubt he's entering politics, I also think it's important to remember our political parties are kind of like an old boys club ... to win the nomination of said party you are usually expected to be an elected MP at some point. I just don't see it happening. But other than his tv persona he's nothing like trump, unless he said controversial stuff that I'm unaware...of course outsiders every once in a while do become party leaders.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Options
    edited October 2016
    lukin2006 said:

PJ_Soul said:

I doubt he's entering politics, I also think it's important to remember our political parties are kind of like an old boys club ... to win the nomination of said party you are usually expected to be an elected MP at some point. I just don't see it happening. But other than his tv persona he's nothing like trump, unless he said controversial stuff that I'm unaware...of course outsiders every once in a while do become party leaders.
    He has specifically talked about trying to do it and talking heads keep asking him. That's the only reason I worry about it. You make good points... The Conservatives are pretty desperate right now as far as leadership and trying to appeal to a solid base goes though. I wouldn't totally put it past them. Although the whole Trump thing would probably make them stop and think a little harder about it; reality TV show stars don't exactly have the best reputation as political candidates right now. I guess something good is coming out of the Trump campaign after all, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

PJ_Soul said:

He has specifically talked about trying to do it and talking heads keep asking him. That's the only reason I worry about it. You make good points... The Conservatives are pretty desperate right now as far as leadership and trying to appeal to a solid base goes though. I wouldn't totally put it past them. Although the whole Trump thing would probably make them stop and think a little harder about it; reality TV show stars don't exactly have the best reputation as political candidates right now. I guess something good is coming out of the Trump campaign after all, lol.
    Yes I'm aware that he's floated the idea, as of now he hasn't thrown his hat in the ring and the conservative leadership race is under way...of course there is still time.

Do you think he'd be willing to wait 7 years for a legitive shot at the job?

• Options
    The PM job that is...

• Options
    edited October 2016
    lukin2006 said:

PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

PJ_Soul said:

Yes I'm aware that he's floated the idea, as of now he hasn't thrown his hat in the ring and the conservative leadership race is under way...of course there is still time.

Do you think he'd be willing to wait 7 years for a legitive shot at the job?
    Yes, sure. He's not all that old. Early 60s. He has time. And who knows how the conservative leadership holds up from when they choose someone. A leqder can fall quickly. Hopefully he decides that he doesn't want to spend his old age doing such a thing.
  • Options
    ^^^ I'll worry about O'Leary if he decides to run, I doubt he will...

I do find it amusing how a part time drama teacher who waffles back and fourth is qualified but a successful business man isn't...now I'm not saying he is qualified, but if PM sunny ways is deemed qualified, then I don't think we've set the bar very high.

• Options
    edited October 2016
    lukin2006 said:

^^^ I'll worry about O'Leary if he decides to run, I doubt he will...

I do find it amusing how a part time drama teacher who waffles back and fourth is qualified but a successful business man isn't...now I'm not saying he is qualified, but if PM sunny ways is deemed qualified, then I don't think we've set the bar very high.

You think Trudeau was just a part time drama teacher, huh? So you're just content living your own little reality?
    He grew up as the son of the PM, first of all, surrounded by so many influences and experiences and gleaning all kinds of valuable information and experience and knowledge, and spent years working on various causes in the public eye. Then in the 2008 federal election, "he was elected to represent the riding of Papineau in the House of Commons. In 2009, he was appointed the Liberal Party's critic for youth and multiculturalism, and the following year, became critic for citizenship and immigration. In 2011, he was appointed as critic for secondary education and youth and amateur sport. Trudeau won the leadership of the Liberal Party in April 2013 and went on to lead his party to victory in the 2015 federal election."
    Come on, I know you hate him, but to say he was just a part time drama teacher? Something he did for what? Like a year of his life or something, many years ago? I said that a party leader should have to have been elected into office before being able to run for PM. Trudeau had been elected into office. He is qualified. He was a politician before running and lead the party for 2 years before winning the election.
  • Options
    ^^^ wow riled up, double quotes, cool...good times

• Options
    lukin2006 said:

^^^ wow riled up, double quotes, cool...good times

I'm not riled up, I'm posting from a phone. Sometimes I fuck up the quotes that way. Fixed of course.
  • Options
    Lol, at least your not suffering election stress ... it wouldn't be good if a Canadian is getting stressed out from the clown show in the states.

• Options
    lukin2006 said:

Lol, at least your not suffering election stress ... it wouldn't be good if a Canadian is getting stressed out from the clown show in the states.

Lol, no, not stressed.... frustrated though, and annoyed. I really just can't wait for it to be over. I just pray that the extreme Hillary haters shut the fuck up along with everyone else.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

Lol, no, not stressed.... frustrated though, and annoyed. I really just can't wait for it to be over. I just pray that the extreme Hillary haters shut the fuck up along with everyone else.
    If this doesn't sound like election stress disorder I don't know what would be.
    But then again I am not a psychiatrist.
    Pray that the extreme Hillary haters shut the fuck up along w/ everyone else?
    Nope, no stress here.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,736
    edited October 2016
    We might consider re-phrasing this as "Pre-election we already know who is going to win and I hope she doesn't make a mess of it stress disorder", commonly known by the awkward acronym, PEWAKWIGTWAIHSDMAMOFSD.
    Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562

PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

Nope, no stress here.
    And thank God Hillary haters Won't Shut the fuck up! :lol:
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Well Hugh and PJ, just saw some headlines that O'Leary is still considering a run at the leadership...it's obvious he's a PJ fan and member, and he saw this thread...you 2 provoked him into keep considering it...lol, I kid. But not about Kevin running.

O'Leary praises Bernier, won't rule out leadership run

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/o-leary-praises-bernier-won-t-rule-out-leadership-run-1.3126041
    Post edited by lukin2006 on

• Options

PJ_Soul said:

i couldn't stand that fucker on dragon's den, and he's a big reason brett left the show. he got tired of oleary basically treating the pitch people like worms. he looks down on everyone. don't make a deal, but don't tell someone who stupid their idea is or how they know nothing about economics.

but you are right, money is everything to him, and in politics, that is incredibly dangerous.
    It's all for show man you know this.
    Bretts company Canoe just merged (aquired) oleary funds and now they are business partners to the tune of $4 Billion.
    Everything is about money with people in that business.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/kevin-oleary-funds-1.3272502
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

Bretts company Canoe just merged (aquired) oleary funds and now they are business partners to the tune of $4 Billion.
    Remember having to much money on these boards seems to be a no no, unless your a Clinton or any POTUS.

• Options
    ^^^
    I forgot to add the finer details.
    “Kevin and I share some great history as Dragons on Dragons' Den that fostered a relationship leading to today. We’ve both successfully built our businesses by seeking out the best people and the best assets – I know that Canoe’s partners and employees are very excited by this transaction,” said W. Brett Wilson, Chairman, Canoe Financial –
    http://www.canoefinancial.com/assets/pdfs/Canoe_Financial_to_Acquire_OLeary_Assets_Oct_15_2015.pdf
  • Options
    Free said:

PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

Nope, no stress here.
    And thank God Hillary haters Won't Shut the fuck up! :lol:
    How would you know?
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

he can do business with who he wants. Brett was outspoken about his distaste for how the contestants were treated, particularly by Oleary. Don't believe it if you wish.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I think the obvious conclusion is that Brett didn't like how O'Leary treated the contestants and he doesn't give a flying fuck about that when it comes to business.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

I think the obvious conclusion is that Brett didn't like how O'Leary treated the contestants and he doesn't give a flying fuck about that when it comes to business.

Good point...

• Options

PJ_Soul said:

he can do business with who he wants. Brett was outspoken about his distaste for how the contestants were treated, particularly by Oleary. Don't believe it if you wish.
    W. Brett Wilson leaves Dragons’ Den with a challenge

http://news.nationalpost.com/arts/w-brett-wilson-leaves-dragons-den-with-a-challenge

Seems like it was more an issue with the CBC...not other dragons or the contestants...

• Options
    lukin2006 said:

PJ_Soul said:

http://news.nationalpost.com/arts/w-brett-wilson-leaves-dragons-den-with-a-challenge

Seems like it was more an issue with the CBC...not other dragons or the contestants...
    that article states the opposite of what your take on it was. he specifically stated one of his main issues with the show was the Simon Cowell type beat downs of the contestants. He's speaking directly about O Leary. He's the only one who acted like that.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

lukin2006 said:

PJ_Soul said:

that article states the opposite of what your take on it was. he specifically stated one of his main issues with the show was the Simon Cowell type beat downs of the contestants. He's speaking directly about O Leary. He's the only one who acted like that.
    Whatever ... he's not running for PM and that's along way anyways, it's fucking tv, reality tv at that ... the contestants know what their getting into, or don't go on...

Quick google search and I never found a link between him or O'Leary not getting along, entirely possible he's more pissed at CBC for allowing the show to go in that direction, after all it is their show, plus the CBC is under more pressure than ever to try and make money since they lost their cash cow the NHL...

• Options
    lukin2006 said:

lukin2006 said:

PJ_Soul said:

Whatever ... he's not running for PM and that's along way anyways, it's fucking tv, reality tv at that ... the contestants know what their getting into, or don't go on...

Quick google search and I never found a link between him or O'Leary not getting along, entirely possible he's more pissed at CBC for allowing the show to go in that direction, after all it is their show, plus the CBC is under more pressure than ever to try and make money since they lost their cash cow the NHL...

yeah, all I said was a simple "he's part of the reason why Brett left". I read an interview where he stated it very clearly, whether your google search turned it up or not.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com