Election Stress Disorder

PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
Apparently this is a real thing. I actually saw a piece about it this morning on the local (Canadian) morning news. I think us Canadians are all becoming concerned about your mental well-being, Americans. ;)

"If you think that the presidential election is driving you nuts, you're right," Harry Smith said on Monday's NBC Nightly News. That's kind of a glib way to put it, but the American Psychological Association reported last week that according to a new survey on stress in America, 52 percent of U.S. adults say the 2016 election is a very or somewhat significant source of stress. The APA dubbed this phenomenon "Election Stress Disorder." The survey, conducted by Harris Poll, found that the stress is bipartisan, affecting 55 percent of registered Democrats and 59 percent of registered Republican. Stress levels have almost certainly risen since the survey was completed."

"It could be how negative the whole campaign is, the discord is particularly heated, we seem to be more polarized," APA policy chief Lynn Bufka tells The Washington Post. "Also, we can work ourselves up over what the future president could do and if we get wrapped up in a lot of what ifs, that can make us really stressed, too." Senior citizens are the most stressed (59 percent), followed by millennials (56 percent), baby boomers (50 percent), and Generation X (45 percent). Whatever your age, the APA has some suggestions on how to cope with the Donald Trump–Hillary Clinton grudge match.

The first suggestion is maybe the most obvious (and least beneficial for the news media): "Read just enough to stay informed," but turn off the cable news, keep off Facebook and other social media, and limit your news consumption. "Take some time for yourself, go for a walk, or spend time with friends and family doing things that you enjoy," the APA says. Other suggestions include avoiding discussing the election often or violently, working to advance issues you think are important, paying attention to races and issues other than the presidential election, avoiding "catastrophizing" because America will probably be fine, and voting. If that doesn't help, Alice G. Walton at Forbes has some other suggestions.

Full article: 'Election Stress Disorder' is a real thing. Here's How To Fight It. http://theweek.com/speedreads/655820/election-stress-disorder-real-thing-heres-how-fight

So to summarize.... all of us on the AMT are on the brink of full mental breakdown. Can we all agree on this one point? :lol:;)
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited October 2016
    BTW, they are basically saying that you should be as apathetic as possible while still voting to avoid election stress disorder. Not sure I approve of that tactic. I mean geez, if people as a group get any more apathetic than they already are, we're fucked.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    PJ_Soul said:

BTW, they are basically saying that you should be as apathetic as possible while still voting to avoid election stress disorder. Not sure I approve of that tactic. I mean geez, if people as a group get any more apathetic than they already are, we're fucked.

I'm about as apathetic as I can get and still be voting. I'm apathetic due to the options I'm confronted with. So instead of stressing about it, I can only shake my head and have some fun. Presidential elections are a spectator sport for me. No substance, just entertainment. Once I figured that out, I could just sit back and enjoy the silly season. My state isn't a swing state, so there's no drama or suspense here. And definitely no ESD! Ultimately the country will survive whichever morally bankrupt candidate wins this one.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,586
    PJ_Soul said:

I was reading it as know your limits and control the incoming flow. Good advice for any time.
    Sorry, I actually misread it. I thought it was saying that you should avoid working to advance the issues that are most important to you. But actually upon re-reading, it is saying that you should do that. :)

For me, any stress coming out of the US election comes simply from the idea that there are so many people who would support the likes of Trump. The whole Trump thing is mind blowing, and yeah, I find a touch of stress in knowing that I am a 30 minute drive from the border of a nation where THAT many people would cast a vote for such a piece of shit because of this delusional sense of fear.
    And fully picturing Trump in the White House and envisioning him attempting to handle all the job entails can push your anxiety through the roof. I only can spend about 20 seconds doing it.
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    I can't understand why people would stay away from the voting both with two such outstanding honest to a fault individuals, I just don't understand, either way AMERICA is a big winner.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
    lukin2006 said:

I can't understand why people would stay away from the voting both with two such outstanding honest to a fault individuals, I just don't understand, either way AMERICA is a big winner.

I don't understand why anyone would ever stay away from the voting booth. No matter how bad the nominees might be, it is a mathematical impossibility that there isn't something that would make one nominee better than the others in some way.
    On the weekend I saw on my news Trump and his people calling the election rigged, and Clinton and her people blaming Trump and Russia for her hacked emails ... sounds like 2 mature candidates, either one you should be proud to have as your next POTUS.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

lukin2006 said:

On the weekend I saw on my news Trump and his people calling the election rigged, and Clinton and her people blaming Trump and Russia for her hacked emails ... sounds like 2 mature candidates, either one you should be proud to have as your next POTUS.

Doesn't change the fact that one of them is indeed going to be POTUS, so everyone may as well vote for the one they think will cause the least damage, however small that difference may be in people's minds (although I think the difference is YUGE, and can't fathom how anyone could think otherwise).
  • FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    lukin2006 said:

Yeah, really proud...
    I could care a less who really becomes president ... for me to care, then I would have to believe that either the republicans or democrats were actually that much different, which I don't. I believe the system is rigged, and it doesn't favour most citizens.

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Ommmmmmmmmmm.... gonna vote then forget the whole mess for a few days.

You know what's interesting is that I just spent a couple days at my fathers retirement home where all the old folks generally talk about whatever is in the news. The whole time we were there--- didn't hear a word about the election other than a bit about one local issue. That fascinates me because in the past we've always heard them chatting up the last whatever.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:

Ommmmmmmmmmm.... gonna vote then forget the whole mess for a few days.

You know what's interesting is that I just spent a couple days at my fathers retirement home where all the old folks generally talk about whatever is in the news. The whole time we were there--- didn't hear a word about the election other than a bit about one local issue. That fascinates me because in the past we've always heard them chatting up the last whatever.

That's surprising as well, seniors are usually more engaged when it comes to politics, but in fairness can you blame them for tuning this election out. I can't.

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I was feeling stress - the issues, the clusterfucking, the seeing people acting like rabid chihuahuas, the finger-pointing, the mud and the ugliness. The AAAAGH factor.

Serenity now!

And I realized that aside from informing myself and voting with my conscience, this shit is out of my hands and there are more important people and things for me to focus on.
  • PJ_Soul said:

Apparently this is a real thing.
    the American Psychological Association reported last week that according to a new survey on stress in America, 52 percent of U.S. adults say the 2016 election is a very or somewhat significant source of stress.
    So to summarize.... all of us on the AMT are on the brink of full mental breakdown. Can we all agree on this one point? :lol:;)

Ha
    If the psychs say this it must be true!
    Next article to follow the AMA prescribes medicine to combat election stress.
    I blame Donald.
    It's simple.
    No Donald no stress.
    Ya don't need a psych or pills to tell you this.
    We just watch the 1993 move, "Dave" about a guy (Kevin Kline) who becomes a stand-in look alike president when the real president becomes incapacitated. Great movie, a lot of fun, and a very clear picture of the kind of character many of us would like to see in a president. That character as presented in this movie IS NOT what we will be seeing any time soon but the idea is there and ideas are fuel for real change for the better so if you like that kind of thing, this movie is for you!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106673/
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    I've checked out. Don't give any fucks anymore.

Pee Wee 2020
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    I just can't wait for it to all be over. It has become exhausting to keep up with all the shenanigans and ridiculous statements.....feels like everyone is just becoming numb to it at this point.
    lukin2006 said:

I could care a less who really becomes president ... for me to care, then I would have to believe that either the republicans or democrats were actually that much different, which I don't. I believe the system is rigged, and it doesn't favour most citizens.

Pretty much right on there, lukin.

edited October 2016
    brianlux said:

We just watch the 1993 move, "Dave" about a guy (Kevin Kline) who becomes a stand-in look alike president when the real president becomes incapacitated. Great movie, a lot of fun, and a very clear picture of the kind of character many of us would like to see in a president. That character as presented in this movie IS NOT what we will be seeing any time soon but the idea is there and ideas are fuel for real change for the better so if you like that kind of thing, this movie is for you!

I really like that movie.
    The brand new show "Designated Survivor" with Kiefer Sutherland actually really reminds me of that movie. It's darker, but it's the same kind of deal - good man with morals (although he's already a politician) just unwittingly lands in the position of POTUS one day and goes from there.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

I really like that movie.
    The brand new show "Designated Survivor" with Kiefer Sutherland actually really reminds me of that movie. It's darker, but it's the same kind of deal - good man with morals (although he's already a politician) just unwittingly lands in the position of POTUS one day and goes from there.
    I always like Kiefer's work.

"Dave" presented what many would surely view as an over-simplified, overly idealistic view of what a president should be and do but being altruistic and caring does not seem so far fetched to me. Having those characteristics in a president would, as the movie suggests, lead to solving many of the problems we face.

I sometimes get the notion that the human race is dysfunctional to the point of being so accustomed to being screwed up that we don't want to get better. I had a friend like that who literally drank herself to death. I hope her life and death is not a metaphor for the human race but sometimes I wonder...

So I prefer this metaphor: DAVE FOR PRESIDENT!

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    Someone could probably claim this disorder so that they can fly on an airplane with an emotional support duck ....

We have officially run out of problems.
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    If you still vote you should ask yourself what stage of grief you are currently in.
    unsung said:

If you still vote you should ask yourself what stage of grief you are currently in.

Acceptance. I fully accept the candidate I will vote for will not win.

Ommmmmmmmmmm....

edited October 2016
    Well the Canadian response to this story is kind of funny and kind of embarrassing. Canadians have responded to this diagnosis of election stress disorder, supposedly suffered by over half of the American population, with concern for your well-being and sympathy for your predicament. :lol: So it seems we've decided to try and make you feel better in your time of need. I really hope this helps guys. :giggle:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/18/world/americas/sympathetic-canadians-have-a-message-for-americans-you-guys-are-great.html
    edited October 2016
    I've met some Canadians at different times recently on their vacation and I always feel the need to apologize to them about Trump.
    Post edited by Go Beavers on
    edited October 2016

I've met some Canadians at different times recently on their vacation and I always feels the need to apologize to them about Trump.

Lol, well, you shouldn't feel any responsibility, but yeah, I think Trump is causing a bit of stress in Canada. But I think people are more worried about Trump's supporters than Trump himself. All of these people are just a little close for comfort, you know? Plus, all of this disorder - this complete shit show that is the American government - I think makes people feel uncertain about the future. What happens in the US has a direct and well-felt impact on Canada, so I think it's safe to say that a lot of us are watching with troubled minds.
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    edited October 2016
    brianlux said:

unsung said:

Acceptance. I fully accept the candidate I will vote for will not win.

Ommmmmmmmmmm....
    And I fully accept that not voting is my best path for salvation.

Woooo-saaaaahhhhhhhh
    edited October 2016

I call it a path to cynicism. (Didn't quote unsung for some reason)
    Post edited by Go Beavers on
    I'm apathetic.