Options

Election Stress Disorder

Comments

• Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,637
    unsung said:

I'm apathetic.

Pfft! Then you wouldn't have 500 AMT posts in the last 4 weeks.
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087

I've met some Canadians at different times recently on their vacation and I always feels the need to apologize to them about Trump.

You should apologize for both candidates and the the fucking mess your country created in the Middle East.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,556
    lukin2006 said:

I've met some Canadians at different times recently on their vacation and I always feels the need to apologize to them about Trump.

You should apologize for both candidates and the the fucking mess your country created in the Middle East.
    Why should he apologize for anything?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    If your apologizing for trump, might as well go all in...
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Options
    I actually have apologized for Trump. It's embarrassing. One guy from Alberta tried to make me feel better by pointing out there's people similar to the typical Trump voter in Canada.
  • Options

I actually have apologized for Trump. It's embarrassing. One guy from Alberta tried to make me feel better by pointing out there's people similar to the typical Trump voter in Canada.

Well, one at least. ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,487
    I blame Jon Stewart's retirement for ESD.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    brianlux said:

We just watch the 1993 move, "Dave" about a guy (Kevin Kline) who becomes a stand-in look alike president when the real president becomes incapacitated. Great movie, a lot of fun, and a very clear picture of the kind of character many of us would like to see in a president. That character as presented in this movie IS NOT what we will be seeing any time soon but the idea is there and ideas are fuel for real change for the better so if you like that kind of thing, this movie is for you!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106673/

I recall seeing that movie a few times on tv, and always thinking "ok, so the basic message is this guy is incorruptible because he isn't a real politician?". Shit. I guess we're all fucked then. LOL
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Well, one at least. ;)
    HAHA!
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    sometimes I think it's weird that I talk more american politics than your average american. and I'm canadian.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487

unsung said:

I'm apathetic.

Just trying to lead others to the light.
  • Options
    unsung said:

unsung said:

I'm apathetic.

enlightening others to apathy?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited October 2016

sometimes I think it's weird that I talk more american politics than your average american. and I'm canadian.

Yeah, same... but their politics are just so fucking fascinating and crazy! image Way more so than Canadian federal politics (provincial politics is where you find the really juicy stuff in Canada, haha).
  • Options
    OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,487

No kidding. I never see your avatar next to the Canadian Politics thread. You're a closeted American. :smiley:
  • Options

No kidding. I never see your avatar next to the Canadian Politics thread. You're a closeted American. :smiley:
    I will admit I know more of US politics than I do canadian. And that's probably mostly because of this website. and social media. it keeps me engaged whether I like it or not.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487

unsung said:

unsung said:

I'm apathetic.

Nope, enlightening you to quit arguing with your friends every four years and be your own boss. Rule yourself, stop electing others to do it.
  • Options
    unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

I'm apathetic.

Nope, enlightening you to quit arguing with your friends every four years and be your own boss. Rule yourself, stop electing others to do it.
    I do rule myself, thanks.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited October 2016
    unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

I'm apathetic.

I rolled through a stop sign today. My fine will be watching 30 minutes of the debate while eating a piece of Costco pizza.
  • Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562

I've met some Canadians at different times recently on their vacation and I always feel the need to apologize to them about Trump.

Whenever I go North and meet people, or even my Canadian relatives will ask "WTF is up with your idea for good presidential candidates?"
  • Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562

I blame Jon Stewart's retirement for ESD.

Yes! And none of the comedians from his show that branched out are half as good as Jon.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828

unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

I'm apathetic.

I rolled through a stop sign today. My fine will be watching 30 minutes of the debate while eating a piece of Costco pizza.
    Ouch. That's pretty harsh.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,736

unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

I'm apathetic.

Oh!! Harsh self-punishment GB! :rofl:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Free said:

I've met some Canadians at different times recently on their vacation and I always feel the need to apologize to them about Trump.

Whenever I go North and meet people, or even my Canadian relatives will ask "WTF is up with your idea for good presidential candidates?"
    I live in Canada and most people that I come across just laugh and shake their head at the two candidates that could become POTUS...lol

• Options

I will admit I know more of US politics than I do canadian. And that's probably mostly because of this website. and social media. it keeps me engaged whether I like it or not.
    HFD
    I said a few times somewhere but don't quote where that coming on this forum makes me lose track that I am Canadian sometimes.
    Getting caught up in some of the ways Americans think and act over politics pushes buttons. I have to remind myself every now and then I am in an American forum.
    We are neighbours but we are different.
    Both in good ways.
  • Options
    brianlux said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

I'm apathetic.

Oh!! Harsh self-punishment GB! :rofl:
    I'm like the Singapore of self-government.
  • Options
    rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209
    can i get a HUUURNNT HUUURNNTTT!!!!!
  • Options
    lukin2006 said:

Free said:

I live in Canada and most people that I come across just laugh and shake their head at the two candidates that could become POTUS...lol
    we do laugh, but unfortunately this has opened the door to the possibility of having our own Trump mockery up here. Kevin O'Leary has been asked and won't comment if he would make a run for federal office in Ottawa. He's as much or more of a blowhard idiot like Trump.

And there is a LOT of hate towards Trudeau right now. Reminds of the disgust towards Obama.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

lukin2006 said:

Free said:

we do laugh, but unfortunately this has opened the door to the possibility of having our own Trump mockery up here. Kevin O'Leary has been asked and won't comment if he would make a run for federal office in Ottawa. He's as much or more of a blowhard idiot like Trump.

And there is a LOT of hate towards Trudeau right now. Reminds of the disgust towards Obama.
    Kevin O'Leary would first have to gain the conservative leadership, I just don't see that happening...I also don't see him waiting 6-7 years have a realistic shot, Trudeau will likely be giving a second term...

Wow Trudeau has it rough, still high in popular support, must be tough. If Trudeau is facing voter backlash it's because people have come to the realization that they a elected a conservative in liberal clothes...as I've said "meet the new boss, same as the old".

• Options
    lukin2006 said:

lukin2006 said:

Free said:

Kevin O'Leary would first have to gain the conservative leadership, I just don't see that happening...I also don't see him waiting 6-7 years have a realistic shot, Trudeau will likely be giving a second term...

Wow Trudeau has it rough, still high in popular support, must be tough. If Trudeau is facing voter backlash it's because people have come to the realization that they a elected a conservative in liberal clothes...as I've said "meet the new boss, same as the old".
    no one saw Trump winning the nom, either.

I just saw someone post something on facebook about trudeau, and the sheer amount of hate towards the guy was astounding. and it was from the right, as far as I could tell. I was pretty surprised.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited October 2016

lukin2006 said:

lukin2006 said:

Free said:

no one saw Trump winning the nom, either.

I just saw someone post something on facebook about trudeau, and the sheer amount of hate towards the guy was astounding. and it was from the right, as far as I could tell. I was pretty surprised.
    admittedly I know very little of Kevin O'Leary outside his tv persona, is there any evidence he is anything like trump? yes he's loud like Trump so is Clinton and Sanders...but honestly I don't see the connection and it's an unlikely scenario considering he hasn't even thrown his hat into ring for the conservative leadership...and I haven't heard his name mentioned to the conservative leadership in sometime. But I seriously doubt he's any less qualified than Trudeau! So other than his tv persona and how he comes across on tv, where is the evidence he's like Trump.

If, and that's a big if he did throw his hat in the ring, then I believe he'd be doing it because he wants to be PM, unlike Trump who doesn't want to be president, who likely never thought his run would get this far and is doing everything in power to undermine his own campaign.

And both Trump and O'Leary becoming leaders of their respective countries would be a considerable downgrade in lifestyle, don't yeah think?

Well I wouldn't rely on facebook or any online comments to really gauge how people feel toward Trudeau, Trudeau is nothing like the POTUS, for starters he saw the value in withdrawing our jets from the Middle East, he sees the value in peacekeeping...the us and their POTUS does not share Canadian values, they are war mongers and always will be. From what I understand he brought out the youth vote in the last election...now if he doesn't follow through on electoral reform, pot legalization then he'll likely lose that vote, and since he's obviously pro pipeline and will likely approve another pipeline by the end of the year he'll likely lose any of the environmental crowd...even with all that he will get a second term, the NDP and Cons still need a leader...so I see him winning a second term, I would prefer an NDP minority.
    Post edited by lukin2006 on