Options

Election Stress Disorder

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,733
    ^^^
    "WASHINGTON—With a dozen days left until Election Day, Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton are refusing to commit to working with each other after the election, putting in question the winner’s ability to heal the country’s wounds after a volatile presidential race."

Work with each other after the election? Of course not! Why would they work when they can...

PARRRRTY!!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    why would they work together? if Trump loses, he's back to being a private citizen. if he wins, HRC is out of a job.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,552

why would they work together? if Trump loses, he's back to being a private citizen. if he wins, HRC is out of a job.

Yeah really. It's not like Trump is going to be a member of the federal government or any government when he loses. Talk about a non-story meant to create pointless concern. I guess the media really needs a rape or embezzlement charge or something. They have run out of material.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Maybe they've been working together?
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    lukin2006 said:

Maybe they've been working together?

Lol, that would be amazing, but I don't think so anymore.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,758
    Bump to get open threads on page 1
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    Last I checked I am free of this disorder.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

Why wouldn't you be? Seems like something that would only be applicable to Americans, no? I find the whole thing distressing, but am still aware of my necessary detachment caused by not being able to vote and living under a government and society that is not suffering from all this bullshit (we will just be unwitting victims of the results). I am very concerned and obviously enthralled, but wouodn't be so presumptuous to claim that these worries run as deep as they do for some Americans.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Why wouldn't you be? Seems like something that would only be applicable to Americans, no? I find the whole thing distressing, but am still aware of my necessary detachment caused by not being able to vote and living under a government and society that is not suffering from all this bullshit (we will just be unwitting victims of the results). I am very concerned and obviously enthralled, but wouodn't be so presumptuous to claim that these worries run as deep as they do for some Americans.
    I think if I were not an American I would find this U.S. election years distressing. This country has enormous impact on what happens to the rest of the world.

Which leads to the question, how is that so? We've depleted many of our natural resources. We have massive debt. We hardly produce anything tangible anymore. We don't even produce the kind of wonderful cultural output like we did in the past. Yet somehow we still maintain this major influence of the civilized world and our elected president will still exert a major influence until we finally grind ourselves into the ground.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited October 2016
    ^^^
    Great question.
    I can only say that Trump has openly called out Canada to pull some more weight.
    Having said that I think America is getting tired.
    Capitalism has run amok in that country - it even has invaluable Canadians living their fulltime.
    American elections are just ridiculous all round.
    Super pacs? WTF
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Clearly election stress is having an effect on these forums.
    I hope that we can all try to temper our passion with respect and I hope that any discipline administered to posters stepping out of line will be temporary in light of our stressed and taxing circumstances.
    Have a nice day, one and all!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Good call, Gambs. I don't want to see anyone else here get the ban hammer. Relax, everyone! There are things we can control (our own vote, time spent with friends and family, our work, etc...) and things we can't (the outcome of the election, the dirty games being played by the parties, the nominees of the parties). So focus on what you can control, and don't have a heart attack or get banned over things you can't.

And to help HFD's trending term: #electiontainment
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    brianlux said:

PJ_Soul said:

I think if I were not an American I would find this U.S. election years distressing. This country has enormous impact on what happens to the rest of the world.

Which leads to the question, how is that so? We've depleted many of our natural resources. We have massive debt. We hardly produce anything tangible anymore. We don't even produce the kind of wonderful cultural output like we did in the past. Yet somehow we still maintain this major influence of the civilized world and our elected president will still exert a major influence until we finally grind ourselves into the ground.
    military.

as someone else mentioned in the coma thread, I cannot wait until this is done. I need all the news and this forum to return to normal. This is not normal. this is fucking bizarro world.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited November 2016

brianlux said:

PJ_Soul said:

military.

as someone else mentioned in the coma thread, I cannot wait until this is done. I need all the news and this forum to return to normal. This is not normal. this is fucking bizarro world.
    Yeah, I was also going to say military.
    But I think it's more than that. The US is still a technological and scientific powerhouse. Most of the actual hardware might not be built in the States, but plenty of the innovation (and patents!) still do. That counts for a lot. While politicians are busy fucking everything up, there is a veritable army of highly intelligent, highly motivated skilled professionals, academics, technicians, doctors, and scientists who are right up with the front of the pack in global terms. These people and industries get very little attention (besides Apple and facebook, lol). But they are there and still basically kicking ass along with their international colleagues.
    Where the US is dragging its feet (and Canada) is in implementing change, and that is all about the fucking politicians. Are there a bunch of brilliant people with amazing ideas and abilities in terms of renewable energy, just as one example (out of many)? Yup. Are the powers that be facilitating these great innovations effectively or faster than a snail's pace, for the betterment of all? Nope. Meanwhile, western Europe is charging ahead.
    And don't forget about agriculture, natural resources, tourism, retail, etc etc etc. Just because the US isn't a massive manufacturer anymore, it doesn't mean it doesn't have a lot of really strong industries still.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    brianlux said:

Jason P said:

brianlux said:

Free said:

brianlux said:

OK, now let's take a more serious look at the business of "leadership experience". Some here have suggested that Hillary is best qualified among those running for the job of president. But among her qualifications are experience in propagating war, being in favor of the use of fracking and receiving funding from the super rich. Jill Stein, some of you would argue, lacks the experience to be a leader. But what are some of her qualifications? Highly educated. Experience in caring for people. A strong desire to protect the planet. Much more in favor of seeking diplomatic solutions as opposed to starting wars. Which experience is more important? If you like war, don't care about the health of the planet and believe in the super rich and a shrinking middle class, you should vote for Hillary. If you believe in compassion, caring for people, peace, a healthy planet, you should vote for Stein.

The other thing some of you might add is that someone like Stein doesn't have the experience in government someone like Hillary has. To that I say, quite sincerely, so what? The president does not work every aspect of government any more than a CEO works every aspect of a corporations. Someone like Stein would be able to cover the areas she is inexperienced in with a strong cabinet and good advisors. She is smart. She would learn what she needs to know in areas in which she is weak and would find good advisors for those areas. Clinton is not going to do that. She doesn't show as strong concern for the environment as for big business. Guess which one is going to get priority? Guess which one is going to ruin your land base the quickest?

So if experience means status quo including war, wealth vs poor and a ruined planet, vote for Hillary. If you want a crack at a more equitable world with a healthier environment and a greater chance for peace, vote for Stein.

Remember 2008? People against Obama said he didn't have enough experience to be president, he was only a community leader...
    Exactly! And he served two terms!
    And the Cold War is back! Who da thunk it?
    Exactly why we need someone who will bring on even more progressive change. Stein!
    Drebin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzGmVUFDomc
  • Options
    I agree with Gambs and Jeff that we should try to "temper our passion with respect" to each other and "hope that any discipline administered to posters stepping out of line will be temporary in light of our stressed and taxing circumstances" and "focus on what you can control, and don't have a heart attack or get banned over things you can't". But at the same time I would stand up for those who have passionate or strong feeling and their (our) right to voice those feelings as long as we are not breaking forum rules (if you are banned, we lose your voice). Easier said than done, believe me. But I still champion the right to expressing our strongest beliefs. And this goes for post election. In fact, I'm guessing those feelings for some of us will be even stronger then.

• Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,901
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,462
    It's real. I've never been this stressed out before
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    edited November 2016
    This baseball game is starting to feel like the election. Will it ever end?

Edit: Nevermind.
    Post edited by dignin on
  • Options
    dignin said:

This baseball game is starting to feel like the election. Will it ever end?

Edit: Nevermind.

Haha! Actually, now that the World Series is over and the way it went, maybe the election will be a breeze.

Not a lot of anticipation here. Concern? Oh yeah! But not about the outcome really. More about, "OK so now where do we go from here, O critically dysfunctional nation?" I hope when we get through this we have a lot of discussion along those lines.

• Options
    my wife doesn't even really follow current events or politics (we don't get the newspaper, we don't have cable, and she doesn't do the internet-sometimes I envy her!). And she told me last night while streaming the Cubs game, when the election ads came on, she told me she is legitimately stressed about this election. And she is, how do I say this politely, "out of touch". So yeah, election stress is real.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    Aaahh Crap this election just watch will come down to the state I live in FLORIDA!

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    g under p said:

Aaahh Crap this election just watch will come down to the state I live in FLORIDA!

Peace

Some things I read last night (sorry I didn't save thin links) indicate that yes, indeed. it could come down to Florida again. I doubt it though. I still think Hillary will win and Trump will go back to whatever it is he does (don't wanna know!) outside of this political fiasco.

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,802
    Voted. My county is very prepared and efficient. Nice to see functional use of our tax dollars at work. Wide demographic in both volunteers and early voters.
    Despite all the rhetoric we've heard in the last 18 months , i was given a hope shot today.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    where we vote it is a firehouse/tavern. talk about kickin ass around here. stand in line, vote, grab a cold one, spin the jukebox & shoot a game of pool.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    brianlux said:

g under p said:

Peace

Some things I read last night (sorry I didn't save thin links) indicate that yes, indeed. it could come down to Florida again. I doubt it though. I still think Hillary will win and Trump will go back to whatever it is he does (don't wanna know!) outside of this political fiasco.
    Well Trump will probably return to Florida to his compound a mile up the road at Mar Largo rest his tired body. Take in some sun instead of the orange paint and think to himself politricking is hard damn work and the pay is miniscule.

Peace

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    g under p said:

brianlux said:

g under p said:

Peace

Well Trump will probably return to Florida to his compound a mile up the road at Mar Largo rest his tired body. Take in some sun instead of the orange paint and think to himself politricking is hard damn work and the pay is miniscule.

Peace

Haha! Sounds about right, G.

• Options
    What free for all, head banging, knuckle busting freak out this election is this year! I hope when it's all over we all come to the realization that damn few of these high power politicians really give one half of a rats behind about you 'n me and we just all meet up at Ed's place for a beer or a smoke or a little snort of something and play some good blues.

Cheers, people.

• Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Hookah
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08