Options

Does White Privilege Exist?

Comments

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,903
    edited October 2016
    Serious question: why can we have BET, black history month and all black colleges but white pride is deemed racist?
    It s a question i ve asked myself many times over the years. And I could care less there is bet and I teach one heck of a civil rights unit every year. Just playing devils advocate.
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,648
    Yes
    mcgruff10 said:

Serious question: why can we have BET, black history month and all black colleges but white pride is deemed racist?
    It s a question i ve asked myself many times over the years. And I could care less there is bet and I teach one heck of a civil rights unit every year. Just playing devils advocate.

You teach a civil rights unit and you don't know the answer to this (maybe you really are playing, because people genuinely ask this quesiton)? Being a minority group that's been discriminated against and sidelined, degraded, and devalued, the groups have developed things specific to their group within the majority culture in order to survive, provide safety, and a way to advance. Black colleges are a direct result of segregation. White pride is deemed racist, because it's a reaction to advancement and greater equality of minorities in a attempt to hold them back. Whites are also basically celebrated all the time at every step. Whites who do have a connection to their ethnicity can take part in being proud about that culture (Italian, Irish, etc.).
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,757
    Yes

mcgruff10 said:

You teach a civil rights unit and you don't know the answer to this (maybe you really are playing, because people genuinely ask this quesiton)? Being a minority group that's been discriminated against and sidelined, degraded, and devalued, the groups have developed things specific to their group within the majority culture in order to survive, provide safety, and a way to advance. Black colleges are a direct result of segregation. White pride is deemed racist, because it's a reaction to advancement and greater equality of minorities in a attempt to hold them back. Whites are also basically celebrated all the time at every step. Whites who do have a connection to their ethnicity can take part in being proud about that culture (Italian, Irish, etc.).
    Great answer to a equally good, if provocative, question.

A glaring example of what you said about whites basically being celebrated at every step would be this upcoming so-called "celebration" of Columbus Day in eight days. How is it we still celebrate Christopher Columbus, a white man who was responsible for the enslavement and eventual genocide of the native Taino people of Hispaniola? A man who had the hands of slaves amputated and then left them die because they didn't bring him enough gold? How is it even possible we still celebrate that man, his people, their actions?

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    No
    People that live in the past...
  • Options
    brianlux said:

mcgruff10 said:

A glaring example of what you said about whites basically being celebrated at every step would be this upcoming so-called "celebration" of Columbus Day in eight days. How is it we still celebrate Christopher Columbus, a white man who was responsible for the enslavement and eventual genocide of the native Taino people of Hispaniola? A man who had the hands of slaves amputated and then left them die because they didn't bring him enough gold? How is it even possible we still celebrate that man, his people, their actions?

I wasn't trying to be provocative at all. Every year I teach the Civil Rights Movement (going on 15 years) two or three kids always ask me a question along the lines of: isn't it reverse discrimination to have all black colleges or BET? Doesn't that go against the Civil Rights Act? Why isn't there a white history month?

Brian, I totally agree with you on Christopher Columbus.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    Yes
    mcgruff10 said:

brianlux said:

mcgruff10 said:

I wasn't trying to be provocative at all. Every year I teach the Civil Rights Movement (going on 15 years) two or three kids always ask me a question along the lines of: isn't it reverse discrimination to have all black colleges or BET? Doesn't that go against the Civil Rights Act? Why isn't there a white history month?

How have you typically answered those kids, mcgruff? I'm interested.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

brianlux said:

mcgruff10 said:

oh yeah I answer every question. I teach end of the Civil War to the present so I get lots of good questions during the school year.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    Yes
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

brianlux said:

mcgruff10 said:

oh yeah I answer every question. I teach end of the Civil War to the present so I get lots of good questions during the school year.
    Okay, guess I wasn't clear in my question. What do you tell them?
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

brianlux said:

mcgruff10 said:

Okay, guess I wasn't clear in my question. What do you tell them?
    I say something along the lines of: after slavery, the way they were treated for hundreds of years and everything they did to attain equal rights in our country don't you think they earned it?
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    No
    So when does it end?

How many more handouts do they get?

It won't change, they are too comfortable.
  • Options
    seanwonseanwon Posts: 284
    Yes
    unsung said:

So when does it end?

Do you care about white people getting handouts while living in the Trailer Park, or just people with brown skin?
    1996: 9/29 Randall's Island 2,  10/1 Buffalo                  2000: 8/27 Saratoga Springs
    2003: 4/29 Albany,  5/2 Buffalo,  7/9 MSG 2                   2006: 5/12 Albany,  6/3 East Rutherford 2
    2008: 6/27 Hartford                 2009: 10/27 Philadelphia 1              2010: 5/15 Hartford,   5/21 MSG 2
    2013: 10/15 Worcester 1,  10/25 Hartford                       2014: 10/1 Cincinnati
    2016: 5/2 MSG 2,   8/5 Fenway 1,  11/7 Temple of the Dog MSG
    2018: 9/2 Fenway 1
    2020: 3/30 MSG             2022: 9/11 MSG            2023: 9/10 Noblesville
  • Options
    No
    Read the thread title. Start a white trash topic if you don't like my reply.
  • Options
    Yes
    unsung said:

So when does it end?

You know that most people on public assistance are on it temporarily, right?
  • Options
    No
    Define temporarily.

You know that being on it cradle to grave removes incentives to improve yourself, right?
  • Options
    Yes
    unsung said:

Define temporarily.

You know that being on it cradle to grave removes incentives to improve yourself, right?

No, that's actually a myth. But you have some data on that I haven't seen, I'll look at the links. And what public assistance in the US is cradle to grave and how many people does that cover?
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,016

unsung said:

Define temporarily.

No, that's actually a myth. But you have some data on that I haven't seen, I'll look at the links. And what public assistance in the US is cradle to grave and how many people does that cover?
    There are definitely a lot of people who abuse the system. Turn down jobs because unemployment is high enough, seek cash paying jobs so they still qualify for aid, lots of ways and reasons. Exact number I don't know, but a quick google search said this:
    In 8 states welfare pays more than the average teacher salary.
    46% of those receiving assistance with children in the household are on it 2 years or longer (that is not temporary in my opinion.) while only 19% are on it 7 months or less (that would be temporary in my opinion.) It only listed the percentage of those with children, I imagine without children it is a little more difficult to be on and stay on assistance, so it is probably lower.
    http://www.statisticbrain.com/welfare-statistics/
  • Options
    No

unsung said:

Define temporarily.

It's not a myth.

Just like feeding wild animals you create a dependency.
  • Options
    Yes
    mcgruff10 said:

brianlux said:

mcgruff10 said:

Sorry- I tend to use the word "provocative" when meaning something positive but that others take as having negative connotations. The same with "challenge". I use both to mean something positive as in, "urging" or "coaxing" or even "encouraging". And yet I see the work "provoke" as having a more negative connotation. I'll try to be more clear next time.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    brianlux said:

mcgruff10 said:

brianlux said:

mcgruff10 said:

Sorry- I tend to use the word "provocative" when meaning something positive but that others take as having negative connotations. The same with "challenge". I use both to mean something positive as in, "urging" or "coaxing" or even "encouraging". And yet I see the work "provoke" as having a more negative connotation. I'll try to be more clear next time.
    Well because of your mistake you now owe me a beer at the next Pearl Jam show we are at together.
  • Options
    Yes
    mcgruff10 said:

brianlux said:

mcgruff10 said:

brianlux said:

mcgruff10 said:

Well because of your mistake you now owe me a beer at the next Pearl Jam show we are at together.
    Haha! You got it! :smiley:

• Options
    Yes
    mace1229 said:

unsung said:

Define temporarily.

There are definitely a lot of people who abuse the system. Turn down jobs because unemployment is high enough, seek cash paying jobs so they still qualify for aid, lots of ways and reasons. Exact number I don't know, but a quick google search said this:
    In 8 states welfare pays more than the average teacher salary.
    46% of those receiving assistance with children in the household are on it 2 years or longer (that is not temporary in my opinion.) while only 19% are on it 7 months or less (that would be temporary in my opinion.) It only listed the percentage of those with children, I imagine without children it is a little more difficult to be on and stay on assistance, so it is probably lower.
    http://www.statisticbrain.com/welfare-statistics/
    Your link is suspect to say the least since the AFDC they referenced (with a typo) hasn't been around for 20 years. Cash public assistance is now called TANF, and the limit is 5 years in nearly all cases. Some states make it less than 5 years. Usually the monthly amount falls between $400-$600. It's always important to define what falls under public assistance in these discussions, because people with agendas will leave that info out of their web page. If you include Medicaid, that can be longer term because the kids can be on it (and should) until it's available from a parent's employer or their income affords them to buy it via ACA. Medicaid is also expensive as it reflects the current state of the expense of health insurance in our country. Food stamps gets included in the public assistance debate as well. With that, most people on food stamps are on it the short term, are currently working, have worked recently, or will be in the near future. Unemployment compensation isn't public assistance, so it shouldn't be factored in. "welfare" would only pay more than a teachers salary when the person is on full benefits across the board: food stamps, Medicaid, housing, maybe disability, and if not, cash tanf, and also Medicaid for any kids in the house.
  • Options
    Yes
    unsung said:

unsung said:

Define temporarily.

It's not a myth.

Just like feeding wild animals you create a dependency.
    So countries with single payer healthcare have created a dependency?
  • Options
    No
    I dont know enough about it to comment. I do know when I was in Estonia in 2004 a girl I met said I paid more for my hotel room each night than she made in a month.
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,579
    Unsung: The gender, race, and social justice: an intersectional approach course at UBC was taught over a 4 month semester. It did not have a dicotomy (2 gender) approach.

Brianlux: I was taught to look for where my own privileges exist.

Mace: I did point out some small privileges, unlike some of the bigger ones mentioned in this thread, such as having a voice that is heard.

• Options
    Yes
    tish said:

Unsung: The gender, race, and social justice: an intersectional approach course at UBC was taught over a 4 month semester. It did not have a dicotomy (2 gender) approach.

Brianlux: I was taught to look for where my own privileges exist.

Mace: I did point out some small privileges, unlike some of the bigger ones mentioned in this thread, such as having a voice that is heard.

Certainly! We would all do well to do that. Easy for me to see them because I'm
    -white
    -male
    -middle class suburban upbringing
    -able to afford schooling
    -baby boomer generation

I'm very aware of how privileged I am. On top of that, having experienced semi-homelessness and having illness and injury lead to my living at poverty level for a number of years, I'm even more aware of how lucky I am that those privileged characteristics aided my survival. Damn lucky I am and fully admit it. If I were black, Hispanic or American Indian I'd probably be dead dead dead.

• Options
    No
    I'm amazed that people apologize for what they are.

Gender studies. There are two genders. Easy class. Quick quiz.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,016
    unsung said:

I'm amazed that people apologize for what they are.

Gender studies. There are two genders. Easy class. Quick quiz.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2014/02/heres-a-list-of-58-gender-options-for-facebook-users/

Gender studies just got a lot more complicated.
  • Options
    No
    No they haven't. Mental illness did.
  • Options
    Yes
    unsung said:

No they haven't. Mental illness did.

You've been basically just trolling for the past few days.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    No
    It's science.

Atheists say science when discussing God. I'll claim the same when we talk about the two genders. I refuse to go down that path of degenerate behavior.
    Post edited by unsung on