Options

Does White Privilege Exist?

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,570
    edited September 2016
    Yes
    unsung said:

I dont believe it's equal, but that isn't because whitey has privilege, it's because there are people that are racist.

Tell me that blacks don't show favoritism towards blacks on certain issues and I'll say that white privilege exists on a level that it requires a special PC made up term.

It isn't possible to compare blacks and whites in this way, because one is the "victim" over time and one "the perpetrator" over time. That MUST be taken into consideration.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,144
    Yes
    On so many levels.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,016

mace1229 said:

brianlux said:

Mace, at what point in American history did everything become equal for blacks in America? At what point did racial profiling end? At what point did the cycle of poverty and the accompanying affects of that cycle cease to exist? How could I have missed these wonderful achievements and forward progress in America? What rock have I been hiding under that last 5 decades in which I thought I had been aware of and following these issues? What a fool I must be.

It all happened the day Vs. was released, didn't you know?

I think we just disagree on semantics. "At what point did the cycle of poverty and the accompanying affects of that cycle cease to exist?"
    I've stated that before. There are barriers, many that have their roots in generations of racism. As a result there is higher crime, poorer neighborhoods, which lead to more crime and fatherless households. Its all a cycle that started generations ago. And even though modern society has changed to where racism is no longer acceptable, they are still stuck in that cycle.

And for a later comment: It's too bad people keep referencing black crime as some sort of justification. That's essentially the prejudice. "Well, they commit more crimes, so that's why".
    How is that not relevant? Crime stats have been used to try and suggest cops and society are racist. There is a clear explanation for the lopsided data. So people will stop referencing the higher crime rates in black neighborhoods when others stop using higher arrest rates as their argument for racism.
    So based on your last sentence, if someone says they don't want black people in their neighborhood because they're going to bring crime, you think that would change if people stopped using higher arrest rates as their argument for racism?
    I misunderstood your comment. I thought you meant stop saying it specifically as a defense against the lopsided data.

Being against a single family moving in because of their color would be wrong. Bad neighborhoods just move around. If you stay in one city long enough you see an old neighborhood revive, and another one go down. People living in Brentwood probably don't worry too much about crime when they see black neighbors moving in (although whoever lived next to OJ should have been). People living in the outskirts of LA might have some justification for that worry where gangs are already a problem, and I wouldn't call them racist for that.
    The state I've lived in for the last 4 years I don't worry about gangs when I see several black families on a street, and wouldn't make that comment now. I may have when I lived most my life in LA and gangs were a real problem. I'm not saying I thought every black person was a gang member, but I was definitely more cautious about it and if I had to park my car and knew I'd be coming back late I'd night I'd be more selective about where I parked it, especially in black neighborhoods where gangs are a real threat. I don't worry about that here regardless of the color I see.
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    No
    PJ_Soul said:

unsung said:

I dont believe it's equal, but that isn't because whitey has privilege, it's because there are people that are racist.

Tell me that blacks don't show favoritism towards blacks on certain issues and I'll say that white privilege exists on a level that it requires a special PC made up term.

It isn't possible to compare blacks and whites in this way, because one is the "victim" over time and one "the perpetrator" over time. That MUST be taken into consideration.
    So I'm sitting here minding my own business and I get drug into the conversation because some racist treats a black person poorly. Right, no reason to focus on the racist.

Honestly I'm a bit tired of excuses on why black people don't succeed and end up blaming it on whitey. I've never held anyone down, in fact I've financially supported efforts to bring positive change. Maybe look at your political party that keeps endlessly pushing an agenda to keep them where they are instead of allowing them to pursue better opportunities. I'm tired of hearing how democrats are the savior when all your policies do is enable poor behavior and keep people where they are through dependency on the system.

Keep playing the victim. Your policies have failed.

• Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,211
    i guess the question i have regarding white privilege is does it go hand-in-hand with black oppression? do you have to have both? i think most reasonable people can say that there are disadvantages to being born black in America BUT does that necessarily mean there is white privilege? surely not all whites receive the same so-called privileges as other whites. sometimes i think it's too broad to use the term. i don't know if maybe i'm not articulating my thoughts correctly but i think the way some use the term white privilege makes it seems like all whites are living the high life because they were born white and that is clearly not the case. i think that is where some of us maybe don't agree with the term white privilege as much as some others do.
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,648
    Yes
    unsung said:

PJ_Soul said:

unsung said:

So I'm sitting here minding my own business and I get drug into the conversation because some racist treats a black person poorly. Right, no reason to focus on the racist.

Honestly I'm a bit tired of excuses on why black people don't succeed and end up blaming it on whitey. I've never held anyone down, in fact I've financially supported efforts to bring positive change. Maybe look at your political party that keeps endlessly pushing an agenda to keep them where they are instead of allowing them to pursue better opportunities. I'm tired of hearing how democrats are the savior when all your policies do is enable poor behavior and keep people where they are through dependency on the system.

I don't think anyone's accusing you of anything. White privilege is saying you got something by way of just being white.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Yes
    unsung said:

PJ_Soul said:

unsung said:

No one ever accused you of holding someone down. The issue is a LOT bigger than you or any individual. What, were you under the impression that people here were accusing you personally of something??
    Also, I know I sure haven't said anything about the Democrats being the saviors. I haven't even mentioned any specific policies related to this at all. Which policies are you referring to?
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    No
    Welfare.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Yes
    unsung said:

mace1229 said:

cant anyone live in any area they can afford? I have never seen modern day segregation where blacks were not allowed to live in a certain area.

Not in the legal sense, but in harassment, a general 'you're not welcome here', violence, being denied by landlords, directed to certain areas by real estate agents, etc. I've heard multiple times in my lifetime that "blacks won't live here or they'll be beat up", "blacks don't move across the tracks" etc. It's one reason I got out of the Midwest.
    That isn't white privilege, that's being racist.

If I'm walking with my black friend, his name will be Mark, and a cop walks up to us and accuses Mark of a crime it isn't because of white privilege. It's because the cop either has someone that fits his description, or he's racist. Blaming me for that is a liberal made up safe space cop out.
    Nobody is blaming you for anything! It is simply being acknowledged that you have the privilege of not being the subject of racism.
    Duh.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    No
    Right. But if I walk through a blm rally I'll be just fine, right?
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Yes
    unsung said:

You mean at a riot? Who knows. I would personally stay far away from any riot because they are dangerous and violent and basically the most emotionally charged situation you could possibly be in the middle of. Especially riots that are connected to issues of race inequality.
    So I gather you are feeling threatened as a white man? Well.... that does seem to be the reaction of a lot of white men while all other groups threaten and challenfe their.very long-standing supremacy.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    edited September 2016

Bring your A game Jason, you've been slacking!

If I can dodge a wrench, I can dodge a ball!

Need to start training ...
    Post edited by Jason P on
  • Options
    Yes
    unsung said:

Uh, yeah, probably. I've seen plenty of white folks at BLM rallies and they all seem to be just fine.
  • Options
    Yes
    rgambs said:

unsung said:

Uh, yeah, probably. I've seen plenty of white folks at BLM rallies and they all seem to be just fine.
    He (she?) thinks a rally and a riot are the same thing.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,757
    edited September 2016
    Yes
    unsung said:

Probably depends a lot on things like your body language, attitude, interaction with folks there. My suggestion would be, unless you plan to be cool, stay home.

I'm serious. In 1969 I went to see an angry and fired up Dick Gregory speak in a large overly hot gymnasium packed full of rather unhappy, somewhat to very agitated, highly charged black folks and a couple of white (I was one of them), Asian and Hispanic people scattered throughout. I kept cool, focused on the speaker, gave the people their space, kept to myself but not defensively so, applauded when appropriate and walked away quite unscathed and hugely impressed by a group of people working hard to rid themselves of many decades of oppression.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I've seen plenty of rallies turn into riots here.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Yes
    hedonist said:

Those are the few that makes the news. Not the hundreds of other protests that don't turn violent.
  • Options
    Yes
    dignin said:

hedonist said:

Those are the few that makes the news. Not the hundreds of other protests that don't turn violent.
    True and the riots that do occur-- is anyone surprised? Racism and oppression continuing this many years after the Civil Rights Movement? I don't condone rioting or violence but really, it's no surprise some go into riot mode.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    brianlux said:

dignin said:

hedonist said:

True and the riots that do occur-- is anyone surprised? Racism and oppression continuing this many years after the Civil Rights Movement? I don't condone rioting or violence but really, it's no surprise some go into riot mode.
    Surprised? Sometimes, I suppose. Always disappointed.

Either way, fucked up and - to me - inexcusable.

Care about your city and its citizens? Show it, don't destroy it.
  • Options
    Yes
    hedonist said:

brianlux said:

dignin said:

hedonist said:

Like I said, I don't condone rioting or violence. Understanding something is not the same as endorsing it.

• Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    edited September 2016
    brianlux said:

hedonist said:

brianlux said:

dignin said:

hedonist said:

Like I said, I don't condone rioting or violence. Understanding something is not the same as endorsing it.
    Some people may not really like that kind of comment though. That's like saying I understand why Hitler killed thousands and thousands of innocent People. I know that's extreme example, but rioting and violence are not excusable regardless. And it furthermore results in much less sympathy for the black lives matter movement...
    Post edited by PP193448 on
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    Yes
    Regarding the riots, I think some people are confused about what a community is... A community is a group of people working together, not a group of buildings in a geographical region.
  • Options
    No
    There is a picture I've seen recently of three black men. One is a lawyer, one is a cop, and one is in handcuffs. We have choices in this country with our lives. Racism on an individual level still exists on both sides. Governmental racism has not existed in this country for generations.
    Las Cruces, NM Pan Am Center September 14, 1995
    Albuquerque, NM Tingley Coliseum July 7, 1998
    New York City, NY MSG May 20, 2010
    Eddie Vedder Solo Albuquerque, NM November 9, 2012
    Wrigley Field July 19, 2013
    LA Nov. 23: 24, 2013
    Denver 10-22-14
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Regarding the riots, I think some people are confused about what a community is... A community is a group of people working together, not a group of buildings in a geographical region.

But those buildings are made of people, in a sense. They're businesses; the people employed by those businesses serve and often live within the community. Why destroy them and in the process hurt those people? The consequences aren't only monetary.
  • Options
    Yes

There is a picture I've seen recently of three black men. One is a lawyer, one is a cop, and one is in handcuffs. We have choices in this country with our lives. Racism on an individual level still exists on both sides. Governmental racism has not existed in this country for generations.

You can say it exists on both sides, but there's no way whites face it at the same level blacks do.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

I think some people are confused how destroying buildings and infrastructure affects a community of people.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Yes
    unsung said:

Welfare.

How's welfare connected to white privilege?
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

rgambs said:

unsung said:

He (she?) thinks a rally and a riot are the same thing.
    You'd have to forgive him for that confusion: they look an awful lot alike these days.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    dmaradona10dmaradona10 Posts: 897
    edited September 2016
    No

You can say it exists on both sides, but there's no way whites face it at the same level blacks do.
    There are more white people in poverty then black in America. Many white people do face hardship in this country. Historically, blacks have faced racism not doubt about it. Things change.
    Las Cruces, NM Pan Am Center September 14, 1995
    Albuquerque, NM Tingley Coliseum July 7, 1998
    New York City, NY MSG May 20, 2010
    Eddie Vedder Solo Albuquerque, NM November 9, 2012
    Wrigley Field July 19, 2013
    LA Nov. 23: 24, 2013
    Denver 10-22-14
  • Options
    Yes
    PP193448 said:

brianlux said:

hedonist said:

brianlux said:

dignin said:

hedonist said:

Some people may not really like that kind of comment though. That's like saying I understand why Hitler killed thousands and thousands of innocent People. I know that's extreme example, but rioting and violence are not excusable regardless. And it furthermore results in much less sympathy for the black lives matter movement...
    A good example of why critical thinking is important. Knee jerk not liking what someone says is not critical thinking.