Options

Does White Privilege Exist?

Comments

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,016

mace1229 said:

mace1229 said:

mace1229 said:

cant anyone live in any area they can afford? I have never seen modern day segregation where blacks were not allowed to live in a certain area.

Not in the legal sense, but in harassment, a general 'you're not welcome here', violence, being denied by landlords, directed to certain areas by real estate agents, etc. I've heard multiple times in my lifetime that "blacks won't live here or they'll be beat up", "blacks don't move across the tracks" etc. It's one reason I got out of the Midwest.
    That's true for other races too. I worked in South Central LA and certain streets I just didn't go down because I would have been beat up for being white. Typically those are not affluent neighborhoods that attract outsiders anyway in either scenario.
    I would guess there's maybe 1% of places whites get flack if they go to, and that might be high. In my scenario, blacks are being shut out of middle class neighborhoods that are considered affluent.
    Being shut out as in they will get "beat up" if they try to move in? I have never heard of that in affluent neighborhoods, which are you referring to?
    I've heard this referenced in and around Chicago (which is extremely segregated) and smaller towns in the Midwest. There's also areas with significant KKK activity. Not the most welcoming for minorities.
    I would say that is very good on the part of the real estate agent to lead then away from areas of high KKK activity. Just like I would hope my agent would lead me away from areas with high black gang activity.
    I don't deny racism exists. I just don't think it exists on a level that it is sometimes made out to be. For every pocket of KKK I could probably find a black neighborhood that white people aren't welcome either.
    Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't associate the members of KKK with being part of high society, and therefore probably not the best neighborhoods anyway.
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,648
    Yes
    There's often a need for whites to minimize racism because it's disturbing. The problem is, that perpetuates it.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,575
    Yes
    The KKK is horrible, and white supremacists of any kind, and just plain old rabid racists of any kind, and it is indeed still a problem (more than many think because the media just completely ignores it for the most part). But those aren't really the main issues when we're talking about white privilege this day and age.

I'll just post this again because it addresses the other more subtle realities that this concept involves (FWIW, I saw this article because a black friend of mine posted it on facebook): http://occupywallstreet.net/story/explaining-white-privilege-broke-white-person
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    No

unsung said:

mace1229 said:

cant anyone live in any area they can afford? I have never seen modern day segregation where blacks were not allowed to live in a certain area.

Not in the legal sense, but in harassment, a general 'you're not welcome here', violence, being denied by landlords, directed to certain areas by real estate agents, etc. I've heard multiple times in my lifetime that "blacks won't live here or they'll be beat up", "blacks don't move across the tracks" etc. It's one reason I got out of the Midwest.
    That isn't white privilege, that's being racist.

If I'm walking with my black friend, his name will be Mark, and a cop walks up to us and accuses Mark of a crime it isn't because of white privilege. It's because the cop either has someone that fits his description, or he's racist. Blaming me for that is a liberal made up safe space cop out.
    The other side of the racism is white privilege. Like I said, whites can live nearly anywhere they want if they can afford it, blacks cannot. To move about freely is a white privilege, and many whites are under the impression that anyone is able to do the same.
    Blacks can live where they can't afford it.

I went through it.
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    No

There's often a need for whites to minimize racism because it's disturbing. The problem is, that perpetuates it.

Actually people like jesse Jackson and al Sharpton perpetuate it.
  • Options
    Yes
    unsung said:

The flip "well blacks do it, to" is also part of the denial.
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    No
    ive actually lost on a couple of jobs due to affirmative action and have been pulled over in neighborhoods for being exactly what I am, white, so im still waiting on my white privilege to kick in
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,757
    Yes
    unsung said:

Yeah, I've never heard of two guys more antagonistic than those two hate mongers. FACEPALM!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Yes
    unsung said:

unsung said:

mace1229 said:

If I'm walking with my black friend, his name will be Mark, and a cop walks up to us and accuses Mark of a crime it isn't because of white privilege. It's because the cop either has someone that fits his description, or he's racist. Blaming me for that is a liberal made up safe space cop out.
    The other side of the racism is white privilege. Like I said, whites can live nearly anywhere they want if they can afford it, blacks cannot. To move about freely is a white privilege, and many whites are under the impression that anyone is able to do the same.

I went through it.
    Is this a typo? How can they live where they can't afford it?
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    edited September 2016
    Yes
    pjalive21 said:

ive actually lost on a couple of jobs due to affirmative action and have been pulled over in neighborhoods for being exactly what I am, white, so im still waiting on my white privilege to kick in

That is a bit like saying 'it snowed in March in my town, this climate change thing is bullshit'. While you may have had some personal experiences with affirmative action it doesn't mean white privilege doesn't exist. The fact that there is a need for affirmative action actually proves white privilege.

• Options
    Yes

unsung said:

unsung said:

mace1229 said:

I went through it.
    They're thugs. They steal houses.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    No
    brianlux said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

mace1229 said:

I went through it.
    Actually I could explain it on this forum again but I'm sure if one so desired they could search for it.

But your response really isn't the case.
  • Options
    Yes
    unsung said:

brianlux said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

mace1229 said:

I went through it.
    Actually I could explain it on this forum again but I'm sure if one so desired they could search for it.

What are you talking about then? Are you saying that black people have a larger problem with mortgage debt?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    No
    brianlux said:

unsung said:

Yeah, I've never heard of two guys more antagonistic than those two hate mongers. FACEPALM!
    They only show up when the cameras are out and whitey is participating in a crime against a black.

If they cared about blacks being victims they'd be out there stopping the overwhelmingly high amount of black on black crime.

But that isn't fitting their agenda.

White privilege, right? That's why blacks keep killing blacks in places like Chicago.
    Post edited by unsung on
  • Options
    Yes
    unsung said:

brianlux said:

unsung said:

They only show up when the cameras are out and whitey is participating in a crime against a black.

If they cared about blacks being victims they'd be out there stopping the overwhelmingly high amount of black on black crime.

But that isn't fitting their agenda.

White privilege, right? That's why blacks keep killing blacks in places like Chicago.
    Trying to take it down a tangent isn't helping your case.
  • Options
    Yes
    unsung said:

brianlux said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

mace1229 said:

I went through it.

Sorry for the sarcasm but to my way of thinking, denial of white privilege is closely tied to racism. I'm not calling you racist, but there is a correlation that way in the general outlook in America. It goes back to that naive 50's attitude of "They just need to pull themselves up by the bootstraps". When I hear that I hear "Goddamn lazy n's". How long will these perceptions continue? How long....

• Options
    Yes
    I think their agenda is more about the problems in society that lead to high crimes rates among black communities. The results of white privilege and a horribly oppressive history. I find it pretty stunning that anyone thinks that African Americans aren't still affected by the history of slavery and Jim Crow in America. I feel like anyone who thinks that has to take some university-level sociology/anthropology courses or something so that they can realize when they aren't getting about the disadvantages that black people are subjected to for all kinds of sociological reasons, and can learn more about this little thing called the cycle of poverty, which are real on top of the racism being aimed at them in a bunch of different ways, be they subtle or obvious.
  • Options
    seanwonseanwon Posts: 284
    Yes
    pjalive21 said:

How do you know that? Did the interviewer inform you that you were the most qualified for the job, but they were going to give the job to a minority instead?

1996: 9/29 Randall's Island 2,  10/1 Buffalo                  2000: 8/27 Saratoga Springs
    2003: 4/29 Albany,  5/2 Buffalo,  7/9 MSG 2                   2006: 5/12 Albany,  6/3 East Rutherford 2
    2008: 6/27 Hartford                 2009: 10/27 Philadelphia 1              2010: 5/15 Hartford,   5/21 MSG 2
    2013: 10/15 Worcester 1,  10/25 Hartford                       2014: 10/1 Cincinnati
    2016: 5/2 MSG 2,   8/5 Fenway 1,  11/7 Temple of the Dog MSG
    2018: 9/2 Fenway 1
    2020: 3/30 MSG             2022: 9/11 MSG            2023: 9/10 Noblesville
  • Options
    brianlux said:

unsung said:

brianlux said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

mace1229 said:

I went through it.

Sorry for the sarcasm but to my way of thinking, denial of white privilege is closely tied to racism. I'm not calling you racist, but there is a correlation that way in the general outlook in America. It goes back to that naive 50's attitude of "They just need to pull themselves up by the bootstraps". When I hear that I hear "Goddamn lazy n's". How long will these perceptions continue? How long....
    I don't think those two thoughts are connected (white privilege and racism). I think you and I had a short dialogue about this already. I do think blacks have more obstacles in their way.
    I don't think they are directly related to their color. It is related to multiple generations of poverty that leads to all the stats that we see. Yes, generations ago they were held back based on their color and that is one of the reasons. But currently in this generation I Just don't see more obstacles and set backs as a direct result from their color.
  • Options
    Yes
    mace1229 said:

brianlux said:

unsung said:

brianlux said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

mace1229 said:

I went through it.

I don't think those two thoughts are connected (white privilege and racism). I think you and I had a short dialogue about this already. I do think blacks have more obstacles in their way.
    I don't think they are directly related to their color. It is related to multiple generations of poverty that leads to all the stats that we see. Yes, generations ago they were held back based on their color and that is one of the reasons. But currently in this generation I Just don't see more obstacles and set backs as a direct result from their color.
    Are you black?

• Options
    edited September 2016
    brianlux said:

mace1229 said:

brianlux said:

unsung said:

brianlux said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

mace1229 said:

I went through it.

Are you black?
    I haven't been shot at by police, so I guess not?. But are you going to imply that I possibly couldn't understand if I'm not black?
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    What are some specific examples of white privilege? I haven't seen any that cant be explained.
    commit more crimes you're going to have more police involvement.
    Commit more violent crimes/gang involvement you're going to have longer jail sentences. One of the links someone posted in defense that the system is racist even said that the multiple offender laws were written to put blacks down, since more blacks are multiple offender. Really? That just sounds dumb to me. its because we don't want multiple offenders out!

Opposite parties don't get along-saying you don't want Obama as a president isn't racist. How many said bad things about Hilary or Trump?
    Encouraging blacks not to live in a KKK community seems like good sense to me, not racist
    More blacks denied apartment rentals in high neighborhoods. Not done any reading on this but common sense tells me high crimes comes lowers credit scores, which are required in most leases.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    Yes
    Mace, at what point in American history did everything become equal for blacks in America? At what point did racial profiling end? At what point did the cycle of poverty and the accompanying affects of that cycle cease to exist? How could I have missed these wonderful achievements and forward progress in America? What rock have I been hiding under that last 5 decades in which I thought I had been aware of and following these issues? What a fool I must be.

• Options
    No
    I dont believe it's equal, but that isn't because whitey has privilege, it's because there are people that are racist.

Tell me that blacks don't show favoritism towards blacks on certain issues and I'll say that white privilege exists on a level that it requires a special PC made up term.
  • Options
    Yes
    mace1229 said:

What are some specific examples of white privilege? I haven't seen any that cant be explained.
    commit more crimes you're going to have more police involvement.
    Commit more violent crimes/gang involvement you're going to have longer jail sentences. One of the links someone posted in defense that the system is racist even said that the multiple offender laws were written to put blacks down, since more blacks are multiple offender. Really? That just sounds dumb to me. its because we don't want multiple offenders out!

Opposite parties don't get along-saying you don't want Obama as a president isn't racist. How many said bad things about Hilary or Trump?
    Encouraging blacks not to live in a KKK community seems like good sense to me, not racist
    More blacks denied apartment rentals in high neighborhoods. Not done any reading on this but common sense tells me high crimes comes lowers credit scores, which are required in most leases.

One over-riding example that some will tell me isn't the case, is that as a white male, I'm given trust and status by strangers in social situations and interactions. It's then up to me to lose that favor. For blacks, often in situations they have to prove they are worthy of that trust. It can be very subtle.

It's too bad people keep referencing black crime as some sort of justification. That's essentially the prejudice. "Well, they commit more crimes, so that's why".
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    There is some good comedy in this thread.
  • Options
    Yes
    Bring your A game Jason, you've been slacking!
  • Options
    brianlux said:

Mace, at what point in American history did everything become equal for blacks in America? At what point did racial profiling end? At what point did the cycle of poverty and the accompanying affects of that cycle cease to exist? How could I have missed these wonderful achievements and forward progress in America? What rock have I been hiding under that last 5 decades in which I thought I had been aware of and following these issues? What a fool I must be.

It all happened the day Vs. was released, didn't you know?

I think we just disagree on semantics. "At what point did the cycle of poverty and the accompanying affects of that cycle cease to exist?"
    I've stated that before. There are barriers, many that have their roots in generations of racism. As a result there is higher crime, poorer neighborhoods, which lead to more crime and fatherless households. Its all a cycle that started generations ago. And even though modern society has changed to where racism is no longer acceptable, they are still stuck in that cycle.

And for a later comment: It's too bad people keep referencing black crime as some sort of justification. That's essentially the prejudice. "Well, they commit more crimes, so that's why".
    How is that not relevant? Crime stats have been used to try and suggest cops and society are racist. There is a clear explanation for the lopsided data. So people will stop referencing the higher crime rates in black neighborhoods when others stop using higher arrest rates as their argument for racism.
  • Options
    Yes
    mace1229 said:

brianlux said:

I think we just disagree on semantics. "At what point did the cycle of poverty and the accompanying affects of that cycle cease to exist?"
    I've stated that before. There are barriers, many that have their roots in generations of racism. As a result there is higher crime, poorer neighborhoods, which lead to more crime and fatherless households. Its all a cycle that started generations ago. And even though modern society has changed to where racism is no longer acceptable, they are still stuck in that cycle.

And for a later comment: It's too bad people keep referencing black crime as some sort of justification. That's essentially the prejudice. "Well, they commit more crimes, so that's why".
    How is that not relevant? Crime stats have been used to try and suggest cops and society are racist. There is a clear explanation for the lopsided data. So people will stop referencing the higher crime rates in black neighborhoods when others stop using higher arrest rates as their argument for racism.
    "It all happened the day Vs. was released, didn't you know?"
    :lol:

Time to head out.
    Peace, all.

• Options
    Yes
    mace1229 said:

brianlux said:

So based on your last sentence, if someone says they don't want black people in their neighborhood because they're going to bring crime, you think that would change if people stopped using higher arrest rates as their argument for racism?