THE DEBATES 2016

Comments

• dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    Trump was clear about why he may not accept the election results. Nothing to do with a Gore/Bush type situation. Here is the transcript.

Wallace: Mr. Trump, you've been saying that this election is rigged, and that Clinton is going to steal it from you. Pence said he and you would absolutely accept the results of the election. Your daughter Ivanka said the same thing. Do you make the same committment, to absolutely accept the result of the election?

Trump: I will look at it at the time. What I've seen is so bad. The media is so dishonest and corrupt... the NYT has written an article that they don't even care. I think the voters are seeing through it.

Wallace: But sir, there's a -

Trump: If you look at your voter rolls, there are millions of people registered to vote that shouldn't be registered to vote. One other thing. She shouldn't be allowed to run. She's guilty of a serious crime. Just in that respect, it's rigged. She should never have been allowed to run for the Presidency based off what she did with the emails and so many other things.

Wallace: But sir, there's a tradition in this country of the peaceful transition of power, and no matter how hard fought a campaign is, the loser concedes to the winner - not saying you'll be the loser - and they come together for the good of the country. Are you saying you're not prepared to do that?

Trump: What I'm saying is that I'll tell you at the time. I'll keep you in suspense.
  • what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    mrussel1 said:

mrussel1 said:

One of my fears coming out of these debates is that Clinton may well plunge us (ok, I'm Canadian, so you Americans, really) into another Cold War with Russia, given her rhetoric against Putin and his hackers. At least we'll have to pray it stays cold.

One other point of interest was how often it's being said "nowhere in history" has such-and-such happened, when some things could only have been possible in the last couple decades (such as Russians hacking Clinton's email, or Trump's refusal to commit to accepting the election results-how often was that a question in previous debates, especially since Al Gore?).

A cyber war is already happening. It won't be a military war.
    Invading Ukraine isn't Cold War-ish? I have no problem with a hard posture toward Russia right now. They're not to be trusted.
    Of course. I'm not saying there won't be proxy wars. Just saying I don't think it will be a direct military conflict.
    I was really responding to the idea that it's the US and Clinton reviving the Cold War. My view is that Russian behavior is largely to blame for that.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,698
    I wonder if Putin has something on Trump
    I miss igotid88
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,862

mrussel1 said:

mrussel1 said:

One of my fears coming out of these debates is that Clinton may well plunge us (ok, I'm Canadian, so you Americans, really) into another Cold War with Russia, given her rhetoric against Putin and his hackers. At least we'll have to pray it stays cold.

One other point of interest was how often it's being said "nowhere in history" has such-and-such happened, when some things could only have been possible in the last couple decades (such as Russians hacking Clinton's email, or Trump's refusal to commit to accepting the election results-how often was that a question in previous debates, especially since Al Gore?).

Invading Ukraine isn't Cold War-ish? I have no problem with a hard posture toward Russia right now. They're not to be trusted.
    Of course. I'm not saying there won't be proxy wars. Just saying I don't think it will be a direct military conflict.
    I was really responding to the idea that it's the US and Clinton reviving the Cold War. My view is that Russian behavior is largely to blame for that.
    Yes indeed. I guess I'm an idiot. I thought everyone understood that Russia isn't exactly angelic.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    PJ_Soul said:

mrussel1 said:

mrussel1 said:

Yes indeed. I guess I'm an idiot. I thought everyone understood that Russia isn't exactly angelic.
    Huh? I didn't say anything about anyone being being an idiot. I was just responding to a post where someone said Clinton is going to revive the Cold War with her rhetoric about the hacks. I'm just pointing out that the tension with Russia pre-dates the hacks. She's right to say Putin doesn't want her as president because she and NATO won't let Russia run amok in Eastern Europe. I hope she continues to remind Americans what's going on there. It's an important foreign policy issue. I still can't believe we let them get away with that territory grab.
  • DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Posts: 2,557

PJ_Soul said:

mrussel1 said:

mrussel1 said:

Huh? I didn't say anything about anyone being being an idiot. I was just responding to a post where someone said Clinton is going to revive the Cold War with her rhetoric about the hacks. I'm just pointing out that the tension with Russia pre-dates the hacks. She's right to say Putin doesn't want her as president because she and NATO won't let Russia run amok in Eastern Europe. I hope she continues to remind Americans what's going on there. It's an important foreign policy issue. I still can't believe we let them get away with that territory grab.
    I think I'm the idiot, somewhat justifiably, lol. I didn't really acknowledge that Putin's government are far from saints. However, Clinton's comments are adding fuel to the fire and setting a potentially bad tone to her (potential, lol) administration's relationship with one of the world's big powers. My bad (again, lol).
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,554

"Such a nasty woman"

Gf and our resident cop loved it I'm sure, can't imagine it goes over well with anyone else

This was the supreme moment for me, Cliffy. All the proof I need that this is the greatest comic shit-show on earth. Trump nailed that line, the look. Golden Globe Award for Trump!

Between that and the change of mind about accepting the count if Hillary wins. Brilliant and well played. The cast was magnificent!

(Curtain)
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    Knowing that she is corrupt. Knowing that she has sold influence and profited from her position. Knowing that she lied to us, the public and Congress. Knowing she did her best to destroy and belittle her husband's sexual harassment victims. These are all proven indisputable facts. You think she is fit for leading our Country? How?

Godfather.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,121

Knowing that she is corrupt. Knowing that she has sold influence and profited from her position. Knowing that she lied to us, the public and Congress. Knowing she did her best to destroy and belittle her husband's sexual harassment victims. These are all proven indisputable facts. You think she is fit for leading our Country? How?

Godfather.

He still lost the debate & election with his debate performances not just last night but combined, he could of won the WH if he was just remotely sane !
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • CM189191CM189191 Posts: 6,927
    edited October 2016
    Morning news is doing a reality check segment instead of fact check, too funny....
  • benjsbenjs Posts: 9,096

Godfather.

Sold influence and profited from her position: like most Presidents before her because she's still an American and is still permitted to participate in capitalism.

Lied to the public and Congress: like most Presidents before her, just people know about it prior to the election.

Her husband's infidelity: seriously? Trump has nine sexual assault charges on simultaneously and you're criticizing Hilary because her husband was an adulterer?

Says a lot about what people think about your guy: a man who grabs women by the genitals, forced them against walls and has his way with them, declares bankruptcy to avoid paying for labour (to the detriment of people with a hundred-thousandth of his wealth), considers relations with foreign countries on a naively simplistic finance-only basis. Even if these things don't worry a person, it is paradoxical for him to allege that giving tax breaks to the richest, fortifying borders to the specifications of his extreme proposal, abolishing trade deals so poor-paying jobs can return them in-house (with no one to do them without his 'illegals' present), lower cost of living (with newly 'bigly' priced goods made with lower quality in America). Worst of all, here is a man who is preaching that we should all fear each other and isolate ourselves from those different from us. People appeal to emotion all the time at those lecterns, but this would erase years of hard work in bridge-building between religions, races, cultures, and ideologies.

I am convinced that the reason Trump supporters stand by him is because mentally, their hearts are already full of fear catalyzed from ignorance, irrational hatred of the unknown, and selfishness. He just appeals directly to that, and that directness is unknown by the public.

In the Clinton camp, I think if we had historically possessed such access to truths (both public and private), we'd have been having this discussion with several other presidential nominees.

Hilary is marginally fit to be President, though certain to be a corrupt one. Trump being worse is likely, and Trump being impulsive and rash is certain.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,384
    igotid88 said:

I wonder if Putin has something on Trump

www.myspace.com
  • Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504

Godfather.

He still lost the debate & election with his debate performances not just last night but combined, he could of won the WH if he was just remotely sane !
    it's going to be a sad day if she wins, my opinion is that people who do such things in life usually face the same inconveniences at some point in their lives.

Godfather.

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    She was so much more prepared than him, he had nothing prepared except the same old stuff and she was ready with good counters.
    The hot seat closing statement was very good from Clinton, and Trump sounded like a middle school kid who didn't do his homework.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    Did anyone catch him basically concede the election? Something along the lines of "the next few years should be real great, good luck with that"
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,665
    Has no idea why Putin would support him. Goes on rambling for 5 minutes about extorting NATO members and dissolving the alliance.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,308
    MayDay10 said:

Has no idea why Putin would support him. Goes on rambling for 5 minutes about extorting NATO members and dissolving the alliance.

Ha! I know.... what a mystery.
    I know Hillary doesn't want to act like a victim, but just once last night I wished she said "I have a name" when he kept calling her "her". My wife was livid. Then the "nasty woman" comment. She almost always refers to him as Donald or "my opponent", he is "her" to him. So disrespectful.

But no, no one was more respect for women than Trump.
  • pjalive21pjalive21 Posts: 2,818
    edited October 2016

Godfather.

If you think he lost the debate last night you're a blinded fool...sorry but i cant put it much nicer

Clinton spewed lie, after lie, and if you defend a person who believes in late term abortions up to the due date then you're a sick individual..period

Clinton Foundations is corrupt, look no further than Colombia, not just Haiti

Im not even a Trump fan but this crap is getting ridiculous with the blind support for this criminal

and the media wants to talk about him not conceding if he loses as the main headline, thank god i no longer work in a worthless career as the media has become
    Post edited by pjalive21 on
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,375

Godfather.

Knowing that your question is full of totally false right wing bullshit....
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
    pjalive21 said:

Godfather.

If you think he lost the debate last night you're a blinded fool...sorry but i cant put it much nicer

Clinton spewed lie, after lie, and if you defend a person who believes in late term abortions up to the due date then you're a sick individual..period

Im not even a Trump fan but this crap is getting ridiculous with the blind support for this criminal

and the media wants to talk about him not conceding if he loses as the main headline, thank god i no longer work in a worthless career as the media has become
    She talked about policy, he didn't

He was rude and juvenile, she wasn't

He made stupid faces, she didn't

Give me a break on this ripping children out of the womb nonsense. No one is talking about that.
    pjalive21 said:

Godfather.

wow....you really are in a bubble.

He got destroyed by Clinton and Wallace.

As soon as the debate ends Clinton walks out and shakes Wallace's hand, then goes into the crowd and is surrounded by family and friends.

Trump stands behind his lectern hiding from Clinton then ventures out to Wallace...is joined onstage by family then books his ass out of there.

That tells you who won the debate.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville

Did anyone catch him basically concede the election? Something along the lines of "the next few years should be real great, good luck with that"

Yeah I caught that. He knows he is screwed.

I think the next few weeks will be interesting. I'm wondering if he will pull advertising so that the campaign can reimburse him for more "expenses." I think this whole campaign was a money making scheme for him.

• pjalive21pjalive21 Posts: 2,818
    edited October 2016

pjalive21 said:

Godfather.

As soon as the debate ends Clinton walks out and shakes Wallace's hand, then goes into the crowd and is surrounded by family and friends.

Trump stands behind his lectern hiding from Clinton then ventures out to Wallace...is joined onstage by family then books his ass out of there.

lets talk about wikileaks...Clinton: completely changes the subject then accuses Trump of colluding with Putin..haha ok

i mean i could go on but dont have the energy to do so

she sounded like a robot and stayed on her talking points and she came off fake...Trump by no means is eloquent or controlled but i would take that "realness" any day over a manufactured puppet
    pjalive21 said:

pjalive21 said:

Godfather.

lets talk about wikileaks...Clinton: completely changes the subject then accuses Trump of colluding with Putin..haha ok

she sounded like a robot and stayed on her talking points and she came off fake...Trump by no means is eloquent or controlled but i would take that "realness" any day over a manufactured puppet
    And when Trump was asked about his sexual assault accusations he talked about ISIS...

Talking points as in her policies? I think she did do a pretty good job with that?
    edited October 2016
    pjalive21 said:

pjalive21 said:

Godfather.

good luck at the polls

edit: actually she addressed the email that Wallace mentioned....she said that if you were to take the entire email in context (instead of just one sentence) you would see that she was talking about energy trade. She answered that one bud.
    Post edited by Gern Blansten on