Weirdest decision?

Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,184
edited September 2016 in The Porch
Just watched Pearl Jam playing Olé on Fallon.... so my question is; What's the weirdest decision Pearl Jam has made?
"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

Weirdest decision? 115 votes

Choosing to play Olé on national television
47%
CantKeepmedownCServantHopperpjalive21SarahSomethingCreativeski-bumCopperTomTy1STmammal2wearPantsbootlegger10Force Of Naturepjpitt89shmapsmarcheetunodamaiSPJdannycropdustdairFloydman015 55 votes
Having an avocado against a blue gradient as their album cover
13%
my_waveim an ear2-feign-reluctancerockpantsbootlegchiwhitesoxzmandlb2334Tim SimmonsRS65573PJ_Hawkeyecalvo17NSLJojoRiceeljuda170 15 votes
Not including Sad on Binaural
39%
cincybearcatRiot_Macsgtppr67PoncierNiktoStinkfootholo92austinevolution10on2legspearljimjbalicki10regalturboCarryTheZeropdalowskyrattzeyJP33ComeToTXBrainofBGAdimitrispearljampledgeagrievance 45 votes

Comments

• Don't think any of these were weird or bad decisions
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,129
    Leaving Down off of Riot Act.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • jp307677 said:

Don't think any of these were weird or bad decisions

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Not playing my bon fire / graduation party in 1998.
  • pjalive21pjalive21 Posts: 2,818
    JimmyV said:

I second this one

• lolobugglolobugg Posts: 8,192
    JimmyV said:

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• wnh1977wnh1977 Posts: 618
    Hopefully nobody gets butt-hurt by this thread. If I had to nit-pick, which is kind of what this thread is about, I would say:
    -Leaving "Sad" off Binaural
    -Putting two sub-par songs, "Sleeping By Myself" and "Let the Records Play" on Lightning Bolt... I think "Of the Earth" would've fit excellently right after "Swallowed Whole"... for my money, would've been a great Pearl Jam album if you swap those two for "Of the Earth"
    -I don't necessarily agree that leaving "Down" off Riot Act was weird... I can see their reasoning that it didn't fit the feel on that album. However, "Get Right" is weak and "Thumbing My Way" doesn't fit on an album called Riot Act, if you're going to use that rationale.
    -The masses would probably suggest "Who You Are" as the lead single off No Code is one of their weirder decisions... I personally love it.

I don't know if these are weird decisions, or just choices I disagree with... I think there's a difference :blush:
    1998: 6/26, 6/27, 6/29
    2000: 8/15, 8/18, 10/9, 10/11, 10/12
    2003: 6/18, 6/21, 6/22
    2005: 9/9, 9/28
    2006: 5/16, 5/17, 6/26, 6/27
    2007: 8/5
    2009: 8/23, 8/24
    2010: 5/3, 5/4, 5/21
    2011: 9/3, 9/4, 9/11, 9/12
    2013: 7/19, 11/16
    2014: 10/3, 10/9, 10/12, 10/17
    2016: 4/16, 8/20, 8/22
    2018: 8/18, 8/20, 9/2
    2022: 9/18
    2023: 8/31, 9/2, 9/5
    2024: 5/18, 6/29
  • Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    edited September 2016
    Arms aloft following release at pj20. Hands down worst and for that matter the weirdest..close the thread...
    Post edited by Wma31394 on
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • lolobugglolobugg Posts: 8,192
    Wma31394 said:

Arms aloft following release at pj20. Hands down worst and for that matter the weirdest..close the thread...

OK- I agree with this one!! 100%

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,403
    nais or who you are as a first single.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Choosing to play Olé on national television
    Wma31394 said:

^this^
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    "Down" does not fit the theme/mood of Riot Act
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Wma31394 said:

haha. Worked great on the New Orleans boot with Aberdeen switched to New Orleans :)
  • "Down" does not fit the theme/mood of Riot Act

Could have been a hopeful ending track or something.

I see it being a B-side though.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,896
    edited September 2016

But Parting Ways plus that "writer's block" hidden track is the best album closer PJ has ever produced. Definitely would have destroyed the beauty of that song by tacking a ridiculously misfitted song on after Parting Ways.
    I'm actually a fan of Lost Dogs, so I guess when I see people suggesting that Lost Dog tracks should have been on their best albums, to me that amounts to ruining both the original studio albums and Lost Dogs at the same time. ;)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJ_Soul said:

But Parting Ways plus that "writer's block" hidden track is the best album closer PJ has ever produced. Definitely would have destroyed the beauty of that song by tacking a ridiculously misfitted song on after Parting Ways.
    I'm actually a fan of Lost Dogs, so I guess when I see people suggesting that Lost Dog tracks should have been on their best albums, to me that amounts to ruining both the original studio albums and Lost Dogs at the same time. ;)
    Parting Ways is on Binaural.
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210

Album is perfect as it is. There are no redeeming signs of hope with Riot Act. A dark album doesnt need it, and All or None basically shut the door on any sliver of light getting in.
    Down is a great song, and one of their last great B-sides.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,184
    edited September 2016

Album is perfect as it is. There are no redeeming signs of hope with Riot Act. A dark album doesnt need it, and All or None basically shut the door on any sliver of light getting in.
    We haven't really seen the b-sides after that though... And the ones being leaked have been good.
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,432

We haven't really seen the b-sides after that though... And the ones being leaked have been good.
    Just curious as to what the leaked ones are. OTE would be of course but what else?
  • PJNB said:

Just curious as to what the leaked ones are. OTE would be of course but what else?
    Cold Confession and Let it Ride. Leaked like 2 years ago.
    edited September 2016

PJ_Soul said:

Lol, oops, I was thinking Binaral and saying RA. Well anyway, same comment applies, since All or None is also a great closer, and Down would have been really weird on RA.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Lol, oops, I was thinking Binarual and saying RA. Well anyway, same comment applies, since All or None is also a great closer, and Down would have been really weird on RA.
    Yeah, I love RA as it is. I'm just trying to fix the hypothetical problem of fitting it on the album :D
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,432

PJNB said:

Cold Confession and Let it Ride. Leaked like 2 years ago.
    Thanks. I remember hearing these before but never went back to listen to them.

To stay on topic with the discussion. The lack of plays that songs like Otherside and Fatal get is absurd to me. Does the band not know how great these actually are?
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,152
    Wma31394 said:

Wma31394 said:

Came here to say this
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Wma31394 said:

Wma31394 said:

Came here to say this
    You should be happy it wasn't that other song they premiered at the 2010 European tour.... Public Image?

Atleast Arms Aloft is catchy and a bit funky.
  • Dog Collars. Also that weird Verizon (I think?) deal in 2008 with texts on the screen next to the stage before the show.
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • I Love Arms Aloft
  • Having an avocado against a blue gradient as their album cover
    Love Ole!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Opening with Pendulum a thousand times during the LB tour.

Opening with Pendulum a thousand times during the LB tour.

Haha, I found that weird too.