ahhhhhh hahhhhhhhh ohh ohh

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,896
    edited September 2016

I'll never get the hate for this song. Is it because everyone's expecting every song to sound like Deep and Leash?

Beautiful song.

No, it's just because it's a cheesy-ass sounding song that hearkens back to 90s power ballads but without the energy, and also it doesn't sound good. ;) I personally think it's a rather confused sounding song. The lyrics are okay though. Not phenomenal or super creative or anything, not even close, but they are relatable for most people, which is fine.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • When Sirens was first released I hated it. HATED it. For all the reasons people have mentioned, the hair metal power ballad sound, the solo was too much of an immediate departure into Comfortably Numb solo territory, the part about sending you into the arms of another man, etc... But now, now... well I can sort of tolerate it when it comes on after My Father's Son. But I've never gone out of my way to listen to it special, or happy to hear it at a show. I thought it was awesome when it was not played at Wrigley.

Nothingman I love. Still, one of my favorite songs. If you want to hear the most flawless live version check out Brooklyn 13, I LOVE that one. Can see how it's a bit of drag right at the top of a show, but I never dislike it. I have no problems with the PJ slow songs except stuff like Sirens or The End just because I think Eddie's voice sounds awful on it and it should have been a solo song not a PJ track.

Just Breathe I was never crazy about, but sometimes experiences change a song for you. When my son was just learning how to talk (later than most kids) one of the first songs he knew some of the words to was Just Breathe because it is on the Rockabye Baby PJ CD. So now I think of those early days when he would sing the end of some of the lines. And I went to a funeral where it was played by two musicians, an overdose at age 25, and now every time I hear it at a show it makes me cry. A schmaltzy song I never used to care one way or the other about, now brings tears to my eyes in concerts. Damn it.
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045

When Sirens was first released I hated it. HATED it. For all the reasons people have mentioned, the hair metal power ballad sound, the solo was too much of an immediate departure into Comfortably Numb solo territory, the part about sending you into the arms of another man, etc... But now, now... well I can sort of tolerate it when it comes on after My Father's Son. But I've never gone out of my way to listen to it special, or happy to hear it at a show. I thought it was awesome when it was not played at Wrigley.

Nothingman I love. Still, one of my favorite songs. If you want to hear the most flawless live version check out Brooklyn 13, I LOVE that one. Can see how it's a bit of drag right at the top of a show, but I never dislike it. I have no problems with the PJ slow songs except stuff like Sirens or The End just because I think Eddie's voice sounds awful on it and it should have been a solo song not a PJ track.

Just Breathe I was never crazy about, but sometimes experiences change a song for you. When my son was just learning how to talk (later than most kids) one of the first songs he knew some of the words to was Just Breathe because it is on the Rockabye Baby PJ CD. So now I think of those early days when he would sing the end of some of the lines. And I went to a funeral where it was played by two musicians, an overdose at age 25, and now every time I hear it at a show it makes me cry. A schmaltzy song I never used to care one way or the other about, now brings tears to my eyes in concerts. Damn it.

Good stuff
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • PJ_Soul said:

I'll never get the hate for this song. Is it because everyone's expecting every song to sound like Deep and Leash?

Beautiful song.

No, it's just because it's a cheesy-ass sounding song that hearkens back to 90s power ballads but without the energy, and also it doesn't sound good. ;) I personally think it's a rather confused sounding song. The lyrics are okay though. Not phenomenal or super creative or anything, not even close, but they are relatable for most people, which is fine.
    Why relatable for most people? The thought of losing someone close to you doesn't resonate with all people?
    www.cluthelee.com
  • I would rather hear Sirens any show over Small Town.
  • lolobugglolobugg Posts: 8,192

I would rather hear Sirens any show over Small Town.

:tired_face:

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

PJ_Soul said:

Beautiful song.

Why relatable for most people? The thought of losing someone close to you doesn't resonate with all people?
    Not sure what you're asking. Are you wondering why I said "most" and not "all"? I know there are people who have never lost someone and who don't think about such things, so yeah, most people, not all.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,432
    edited September 2016

lolobugg said:

Ok, I finally figured out which song Sirens reminds me of..........
    I want to apologize in advance to Mike McCready........

https://youtu.be/jhat-xUQ6dw

:rofl:

I don't like Sirens at all. It is my least favorite song on the album.

^^^^This!

Not hearing it at Wrigley was one of the best parts of the weekend. First time in almost three years that I didn't have to hear it for two whole shows in a row. Made me soooooo happy.
    One of the best parts of your weekend was not listening to a song. Must have been a fun weekend you had there. :bee:
    Post edited by PJNB on

That's just wrong, so many kinds of wrong.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • PJNB said:

lolobugg said:

^^^^This!

Not hearing it at Wrigley was one of the best parts of the weekend. First time in almost three years that I didn't have to hear it for two whole shows in a row. Made me soooooo happy.
    One of the best parts of your weekend was not listening to a song. Must have been a fun weekend you had there. :bee:
    I had an amazing weekend and yes one of the best parts was not having to be tortured with that drivel for either show. I didn't say it was the best part or even the top 10, it just made the list.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Beautiful song.

Not sure what you're asking. Are you wondering why I said "most" and not "all"? I know there are people who have never lost someone and who don't think about such things, so yeah, most people, not all.
    Relatable like yeah I know what that's like, vs. I could imagine what that's like and the song therefore resonates.
    www.cluthelee.com

PJNB said:

lolobugg said:

^^^^This!

I had an amazing weekend and yes one of the best parts was not having to be tortured with that drivel for either show. I didn't say it was the best part or even the top 10, it just made the list.
    Ya I was just messing with you and I know how you feel with a certain song being played. Wrigley 2 rocked, especially the first set, but Last Kiss really killed it for me. I tried to get back into but it was tough and the crowd felt it too imo. Crazy Mary fixed that though. :rock_on:
    Wrigley 1 SETLIST
    UNFUCKWITHABLE

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

How is it wrong when I said I would rather hear Sirens than Small Town.
    It's what I would want to hear, not you pal.
    So no it's not wrong.

So no it's not wrong.

WRONG AGAIN

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Beautiful song.

Relatable like yeah I know what that's like, vs. I could imagine what that's like and the song therefore resonates.
    I just mean that most people can relate to the lyrics. On what level is up to the individual.
  • PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Beautiful song.

I just mean that most people can relate to the lyrics. On what level is up to the individual.
    Word, Soul.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • KC138045KC138045 Posts: 2,716
    I really didn't mind Sirens when it first came out but now I can't stand it. I wouldn't say I hate but its pretty damn close to hate. It is a skip every time it comes on.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • lolobugg said:

So no it's not wrong.

WRONG AGAIN
    Nope.
  • Pearl34JamPearl34Jam Posts: 1,102

So no it's not wrong.

Don't mind them. They can't stand different opinions.
    "Must I keep explaining my decisions to you strangers of the Internet?" - Merch tent 8/19/16

'13: 10/27 Baltimore
    '15: 9/26 New York City
    '16: 4/16 Greenville (VS!), 4/26 Lexington, 4/28 Philly, 8/20 Wrigley
    '18: 9/02 Fenway
    '22: 9/16 Nashville
    ’24: 8/26 Noblesville, 9/12 Baltimore
    KC138045 said:

I really didn't mind Sirens when it first came out but now I can't stand it. I wouldn't say I hate but its pretty damn close to hate. It is a skip every time it comes on.

I think I tried really hard to like it when I first heard it, almost to the point of attempting to delude myself. :lol: Then I got over that and admitted my true feelings. ;)

lolobugg said:

So no it's not wrong.

WRONG AGAIN
    Nope.
    Right

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Ya I was just messing with you and I know how you feel with a certain song being played. Wrigley 2 rocked, especially the first set, but Last Kiss really killed it for me. I tried to get back into but it was tough and the crowd felt it too imo. Crazy Mary fixed that though. :rock_on:

So …

Got some, comatose, even flow, don't gimme no lip, sonic reducer, blood

didn't get you back into it?

But crazy mary after an encore break did? Not saying that's wrong, just interesting to me
    edited September 2016
    I am always rocking at a concert and enjoyed those songs a lot but I just felt the momentum was no wheres near as high during those songs as it should have been and no wheres near as high as it was in the first set and I think that Last Kiss played a huge part in that. Crazy Mary with the amazing Boom solo did pull me back into the same groove I was feeling in the first set.
  • ikiTikiT Posts: 11,054
    Just my opinion, the song suffers from a profoundly weak beginning. once it gets rolling it's ok.

I can relate to Sirens , (most everything Ed does lyrically I'm on board with) but it's not a place I want to spend a great deal of time...sort of like The End.

For every choice, mistake I made, is not my plan
    To send you in the arms of some fucking nothingman
    And if you choose to stay, I'll wait, I'll understand

It's a fragile thing, this life we lead,
    If I think too much I can get over
    Whelmed by the grace
    By which we live our lives
    With death over our shoulders

Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Ok I gotcha now. I guess there is always that ebb and flow in pj sets. Especially the last 3-4 years.
    Tiki said:

Just my opinion, the song suffers from a profoundly weak beginning. once it gets rolling it's ok.

I can relate to Sirens , (most everything Ed does lyrically I'm on board with) but it's not a place I want to spend a great deal of time...sort of like The End.

For every choice, mistake I made, is not my plan
    To send you in the arms of some fucking nothingman
    And if you choose to stay, I'll wait, I'll understand

It's a fragile thing, this life we lead,
    If I think too much I can get over
    Whelmed by the grace
    By which we live our lives
    With death over our shoulders

Huh. That comma between choice and mistake is interesting. I always actually thought he meant "choice mistake", like a primo mistake as opposed to just a regular one. :lol:
  • I like the song, but its definitely teetering on the edge of what I can take from PJ. I will admit its not unlike a song that a bunch of bad bands might write, but Eds lyrical abilities save it from what it would be in the hands of a cornier writer.
    The member formerly known as Scratched Vinyl
  • ikiTikiT Posts: 11,054
    lyrics websites....pfffft. #PRIMO

you can put commas anywhere with ED. He's surfing.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018